Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Clark Spitfire Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Clark Spitfire Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 11:53 PM
simmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clark Spitfire Kit

I am considering purchasing the Clark Spitfire kit from Canada.

I see that the manufacturer requires up front dollars with a couple of months delivery, someone said that it took eight months to deliver!

Can anyone provide any comments on the delivery time as well as the kit and performance etc.

Many thanks

Ian Simmons
Australia
Old 04-28-2003, 12:04 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

simmo, do a search. i have seen a post here recently. if you fancy scale-like working exhausts... just the engine is an art-work by itself... and if you have VERY deep pockets, go4it!
Old 04-28-2003, 03:47 AM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ian, I just got my Clark Spit last week. Mine took 8 months to get here and I did pay for it up front. The kit overall is very nice and well engineered. I am changing a few things such as I am scale hinging all of the surfaces and changing linkages to the ailerons and flaps, redoing the ailerons to make them more scale etc. There is a little fitting to do on the fuselage bulkheads but not bad. Mine was $3900 US delivered. There was $425 shipping and customsfees. So what I got was the kit with the engine and scale exhaust, cockpit kit, spinner and two sets of prop blades, pilot, scale wheels and all the paint needed for the airplane. If you compare that to any of the other 1/4 scale kits on the market it is not a bad deal. Be aware that John Clark is a little slow and does not meet any deadlines so it might take awile for you to get your kit. He makes each engine when he receives an order. Other than that it i a nice kit and I look forward to finishing it. Don
Old 04-28-2003, 04:42 AM
simmo

Default Hey Don

Thanks a million for your detailed reply. I wonder if I can have the patience to wait for Mr Clark to be good and ready......seems a little funy way to do business.
I will make some enquiries direct to him anyway.
All the best

Ian Simmons
Old 04-28-2003, 11:15 AM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ian, John has no employes except his son in law part time so he can get behind. He is an expert machinest and makes the engine and landing gear in house. He also restores and makes flintlock rifles and makes propellers for the model and ultralite fields. I had a few conversations with him and he is a very interesting guy and I always enjoyed talking to him. Would I have liked to have gottenmy kit sooner? Yes, but all in all it was worth the wait. And I really like the Hurricane so might get that one in the future. Don
Old 04-28-2003, 01:46 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have the Clark Spit. Mine is ready for test flight, but a bad hall sensor prevented the engine from running. I am waiting for a replacement. The kit is very nicely done. I enjoyed building it. Went together pretty fast as well. If you are familiar, the wing builds identical to Dave Platt's Spit wing. As for customer service, John Clarke is very thorough. I made many call to him with no problem....answered my every question. In addition to what Pitts (Don) said, this kit business is not his main company focus wither. So, yes, it may take a wait, but seems most things do these days and this one is worth it.