Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

AT-6 Texan

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 01:03 PM
Richard39
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AT-6 Texan

I have just purchased an AT-6 Texan, built already, new, 40 size engine...I believe it was manufactured by Lanier and was an ARF...This is my second airplane and I need to know if I will have any special problems flying this airplane due to the wing loading effect for this model? I will be flying it with a .40 size engine not yet purchased or a four stroke...any recommendations on how difficult this airplane will be to fly with the .40 two stroke? I will be checked out using an instructor and a buddy box for a few flights...Thanks
Old 04-30-2003, 01:39 PM
foxx
My Feedback: (2)

Default AT-6 Texan

I have heard they are a handful during take off and landing due to the short wheel base, otherwise they fly great. I would suggest a two stroke because the torque of 4C might be too much for a 40 size.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:51 PM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Default AT-6 Texan

Richard I believe a .40 will be marginal for this plane, especially if flying from grass. If you plan on buying an engine spend a little extra for a ball bearing .46 or .53. OS, Thundertiger, Irvine, Magnum etc.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:29 PM
foxx

Default AT-6 Texan

I used a 51 supertigre in 40 size EZ zero and it is plenty. Supertigre 51 has the body of 40 but it is bored out. I suggest look for a bored out 40 engine, many makers have them
Old 04-30-2003, 08:20 PM
Richard39

Default Engine

I have a nice Enya 60 but it maybe too heavy for the balance...I also have an older Enya 45 that is strong but old....Would the 60 be too much power for the AT-6 in .40 size? Richard
Old 04-30-2003, 08:38 PM
foxx

Default AT-6 Texan

Richard there are many factors involved here such as the final weight , wing loading, altitude, and etc. These planes are normally tail heavy so intead of putting dead weight at the front you can using larger engine. You enya 45 looks to me a good choice.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:39 PM
TRP

Default AT-6 Texan

Richard,

The texan is a handful on take-off. Make sure you have enough ground speed before you try to get airborne.

Due to ground handling on my T6 we opted to go airborne too quickly and wound up stalling it in on it's maiden flight. 3 months to build. 5 seconds to turn it back into a box of sticks.

The result of a hurried take off-
http://ted.uh.nu/gallery/view_album....album03&page=5

My conclusion? Yellow planes don't fly!
TRP
Old 04-30-2003, 11:42 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AT-6 Texan

I had a G90 in my Kyosho and still had to add 1- 1/2lb of lead to the firewall.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:11 AM
foxx

Default AT-6 Texan

TRP can you some info about your your Texan. Very beautiful model. It does look it is hurt too badly , I have heard of too many Texan stall on take off
Old 05-01-2003, 05:18 AM
TRP

Default AT-6 Texan

Foxx,

Thank you for your complements.

My Texan was a Wing MFG At-6 sport scale kit.

This was the second kit I attempted to build.
Foam core wing
Built up balsa fuse
ABS Cowl, and Turtle Deck
UltraKote and Chevron Perfect Paint (the yellow paint and ultrakote matched perfect!)

The kit came with 'fixed' gear. I tried to follow the minimal directions which came with the kit regarding installing retracts (which amounted to one sheet of paper that showed how to install the gear rails.) Again - this being my second kit - the end result after much trial and error was a very heavy wing.

I powered it with a brand new O.S. 46fx. We fly off 600 feet of paved runway. My buddy was going to help maiden it and trim it out. He wound up taking a few taxi runs and thought he had a good feel for it.

Upon roll out for take off - it started to get a bit squirmy so he forced the plane into the air. It cleared the threshold and immediately snapped into the grass.

It was easily fixable, but I was so tired of this kit after this happened I wound up giving the wreckage away.

TRP
Old 05-01-2003, 10:07 AM
Richard39

Default Texan

From what I am reading it seems the Texan is not an easy airplane to get into the air...Is it similiar to other war birds like the P-51 in that way...Difficult to handle in take offs and landings and is that due to the wing loading or the length of the fuse? I have may have made a mistake in buying this already built AT-6 by Lanier...What do you think?
Old 05-01-2003, 11:14 AM
vinnie

Default AT-6 Texan

Richard,
put the 46-61 in the plane. Make sure the mains have a degree or two of toe-in (critical). If you fly from grass hold up elevator as you taxi. As you begin the take-off roll, slowly increase throttle while easing OFF the up-elevator. As the tail comes up you should be off the elevator entirely till sufficient airspeed is achieved. Correct heading if necessary with gentle rudder inputs and...whaddya know, you're airborne. If the Lanier design is as good as Kyosho"s (mine) it will fly much like the trainer that it is. It's easier than I've made it sound so do not be intimidated!

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:10 PM
TRP

Default AT-6 Texan

I am in agreement with vinnie -
With the proper amount of air speed on takeoff it should be okay. I wouldn't be too intimidated. Just don't force it into the air or climb out too steep and you should be okay.

Have someone experienced help you with the first two or three flights.

TRP
Old 05-01-2003, 02:15 PM
foxx

Default AT-6 Texan

As vinnie mentioned during take off and initial climb out try to use the rudder only, using ailerons at low air speed with a plane heavy wing loading can cause wing tip stall and snap.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:16 PM
Richard39

Default AT-6 Texan

Thanks to everyone with the great info and support...I will be using a buddy box for a couple of take offs and landings...Thanks Again...Richard