Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-38 Ziroli designed, built and aluminum plated by Metal-morphous

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-38 Ziroli designed, built and aluminum plated by Metal-morphous

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Metalmorphous
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: P-38 Ziroli designed, built and aluminum plated by Metal-morphous

It sure felt good getting the our planes outside the shop and the WWII bomber pilots told me lots of great stories of there out take on the full scale planes we had on display. It was like the models jogged there memories,, once they started taking about there experiences in battle it was like I was there myself. Every time I go to the Wings of freedom tour I learn more about not only the planes but the men that flew them. It’s like a living history class, I cant thank the veterans enough. One of the most humbling moments of the weekend was when a WWII uniformed gentleman walked up to our display and was looking over the Morphed P-47,, after about 5 mins. I walked over to him and introduced myself. He said the plane was outstanding but had some flaws, the outside 50 cal. gun was not that long, he said it was almost completely concealed. He then took out some photos and you guessed it, he had flown over 30 missions in the Jug and 18 in a P-51.. I told him as soon as I get back to the shop I would make the changes I also asked him if he would sign the model and that all of us at Metal-Morphous Inc would be greatly honored. At first Ken did not want to sign it but with some help from the other spectators cheering him on, he did. There where more flashes from cameras than you could imagine and before I got home that night they had it in the local papers. I have attached some of the photos of Ken's plane ( you got to love the name) I took a picture of Ted turek and Ken Fredrick together and enjoyed there company last weekend and look forward to next year.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75270.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1500699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27150.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1500700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78543.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1500701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99469.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1500702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17584.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1500703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tj74075.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1500704  
Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 AM
lgarber

Wow Ron. What a story. Thanks for sharing that with us and for sharing the pictures as well.
Linn
Old 09-14-2010, 10:52 AM
800mZero

ron i think a new paint on the cowl is in ordertime to remake her sex express!
Old 09-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Metalmorphous

800m- I think it would be easier to just get a new kit and have Ken put his signature on that one too I am in the market for a Ziroli size mustang, I plan on replicating Ted Turick's plane that he flew in 1945. He has lots of photos and yup,,, it was a bare skin mustang so it’s right up our alley, but not until I finish the lightning

Hey linn the story gets even better, on Sunday about 530 we started packing up and getting things ready for the ride home and I saw my son in law working on getting our pull vehicle ready. The next thing I see, he is running balls out towards the B-17 that had its 4 cyclone engines running and getting ready to taxi to the runway I thought he lost it but right as I was going to start yelling like a madman Jason Owen ran up to me and stuck a sticker on my jacket that said B-17!! and told me to "GO NOW AND GET ON THE PLANE" I immediately figure out what my son in law was doing,,,,, he was going for a ride and so was I. They had a few empty seats on the 17 and Jason and I talked most of the weekend and at the last minute he treated us to flight. To find out Jason, who is now in charge of keeping the B24 in a flight worthy condition was the pilot of the B-17 18 years ago when I got the opportunity to fly back on the B-17 from RI to New Haven Ct. Jason found our P-38s fascinating and offered to help balance the engine once I have them installed. The flight on the 17 was unexpected and lots of fun. I will get the video up loaded soon The photos of my son in law say it all

Hey linn, I thought I saw some picture of your P-38 finished or was that another plane of yours

Name:	Lj23321.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	1501464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38213.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	1501465  
Old 09-15-2010, 04:54 PM
lgarber

Wow! A ride in a B-17! You are blessed Ron!
My P-38 is on hold until I can find some piano hinges. No-one I call or e-mail can get any! I'm ready to glass the outer wing panels
but can't until the hinges for the aileron's are on. Every thing else on it is primered and ready for the final sanding before paint.
Linn
Old 09-16-2010, 08:15 AM
rich10

That YA P-38 sure looks good with the gear tuck up and in a climb out Looks like I missed another fantastic event[] I just got back in town and I see the Bombers have been here and gone, maybe next year. Looks like you had a great time, did they fly any models or was it just a static display for you.

Rich
Old 09-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Metalmorphous

Rich this was just a static event for the models, but it would have been a good addition to see some RC warbirds flying some scale maneuvers. I'll have to mention it to Walter next year and see what his take on that would be. In any case you should make the time to see this event, you only need an hour or so if you’re just checking out the static planes but you could spend a day if you take the tour and talk to the WWII pilots and crew that are there.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Metalmorphous

Well I'm back working on the P-38 now that the summer is over. Its getting cooler outside and I have put aside most of my out door activities.. First thing on my long list of thing to complete is the lighting system that has been on the shelf for a year. I installed wire pulls during the frame up and once the servo door openings we cut out it was nothing more than just attach the wire and pull it threw the wing. I ordered another green and red LED from RAM and once they arrive I will simple splice them in so there will be a top and bottom light. I also have to pull the wires through the fuselage for the lights on vertical stabs and the center pod. You might be asking why I did just install the wire before skinning the air frame. Our plating system uses heat and I didn’t want to take any chances damaging the thin wire insulation.

Lots more the follow

Ron

Name:	Tr50367.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1519043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52460.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1519044  
Old 10-18-2010, 05:10 PM
lgarber

That looks great against that aluminum skin Ron. Those lights will make it stand out even more!
Linn
Old 10-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Metalmorphous

Thanks Linn, The lighting system from Ram is a very good system; it comes with a switch, radio plug in, 9 volt battery plug, resistors and plenty of wire. I did get a few extra feet of wire so I could run the wire down each boom for the clear lights on the vertical stabs. The LED's are VERY bright and give off the same intensity 180 degrees with the lens I fabricated installed. Today I'm glue on the base plates for the lens that I fab up from thin aluminum and as soon as the LED's get here I can rap up this part of the build. I got some fiber optics that I'm going to use to light up the gauges; I will post photos when I get to that.

Taking a few months off this project was just what I needed; it gave me time to think of new ways to achieve the look I'm striving for.

Ron

Name:	Hf10147.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1519422  
Old 10-20-2010, 01:41 PM
RollingCircle
My Feedback: (35)

Yo Ron!,
What's happening buddy!? Looks like you had a great summer. The cold is moving in so it's time to start on mine again! LOL
You're 38 is looking sweet. The static nose is way cool.
Jim
Old 10-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Metalmorphous

Jim I figured you had already maiden you’re P-38 and I was embarrassed to ask you how it went because Im such a slow builder...... I here ya on the cold weather coming in but this summer must of been great for flying....

I got all the lights figured out and installed and now its time to get the engines in.... stay tuned

Name:	Rp44312.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1522980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13017.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1522981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86581.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1522982  
Old 10-26-2010, 07:44 AM
rich10

Are there 2 separate LEDs for each wing or did you use one LED with 2 lenses?
Old 10-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Metalmorphous

Rich I had to use two LEDs for each wing due to the placement of the lights on the full scale plane. As you can see the light is not located on the wing tip like some planes, it back and in the center of the wing tip. It didn’t take much to replicate the look, just a few inches of wire and another LED and lens.

I placed the G-62s on a diet and I'm removing a few inches from there waist lines I will make my own exhaust as I have done in the past and with the help of the Toni Clark 90 degree intake the carb is tucked away and is in a great position for the throttle and choke cables.

Name:	Qo41421.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1524089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62136.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1524090  
Old 10-29-2010, 07:30 AM
Metalmorphous

Installing the 90 degree intake is some what easy. After removing the carburetor and the factory installed 3/4 inch brown insulator, carefully remove the factory gaskets to be reused. The Toni Clarke intake kit comes with a gasket and will be used with the 2 factory gaskets. The G-62 comes with a black insulator in a separate package and will need to be cut down to 7mm. A 3mm hole is drill in the locations specified on the instruction sheet. Once this is done the carb with the 90 degree intake can be re-installed. Next are the mounting plates.

Name:	Pn37227.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1524800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60963.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1524801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84577.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1524802  
Old 11-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Metalmorphous

I removed 1 mm off the edge of back plate that was resting against the cylinder cooling fins and attached it with the supplied hardware.

Name:	Hf10128.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1526691  
Old 11-01-2010, 04:23 PM
RollingCircle

Oh well you voided the warranty now! LOL
Old 11-02-2010, 07:44 AM
Metalmorphous

Jim I purchased the extended " Out of site" warranty,,,,
Old 11-21-2010, 07:49 PM
RollingCircle

Hey Ron,
Got them engines mounted yet? Just started working on mine again. All of the boom gear doors are one, What a PITA it was too.
We need more pics!
Old 11-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

Any chance you could post a couple of side view pics of the 62s and the 90 degree adapter? i want to use them in my 38 but need to know how much past the rear of the engine that places the carb.?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 01-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Metalmorphous

Hope everyone had a good holiday!!!
Jim, Dave, sorry its taken so long to get back to you guys but I just like to let you know that I haven’t been able to work much on the lightning due to the fact that Metal-Morphous is in the process of moving. As everyone is aware the real estate prices have dropped and with this in mind MM has PURCHASED a new facility that is almost twice as large. We have been renting our current address for more than 11 years and have grown out of it. The major part of the move will take place in April but we have already started getting things cleaned and ready for the move. I’m just glad that its only one town over, this way we can keep production moving until the last minute here, set up the office at our new shop and then the last thing will be to move the plating and painting equipment. One of the real nice features of the new building is a very large display area and yes you guessed it, the Ziroli lightning will be front and center when its not is use. Once we get closer to the move I will post the address. I was told that all of our other information like tel #s and E-mail address will stay the same. In the meantime I have both lightnings and the P-47 at my home out of harms way if you know what I mean.

Ron
Old 01-14-2011, 12:30 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Happy for your success. You must be doing it right.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:53 PM
RollingCircle

Great news! Congrats!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:12 AM
Metalmorphous

Thanks, just not looking forward to setting up the new shop but I’m sure it will be worth it once it finished.

A friend of mine sent me a link to a reduction unit for the g-62 and after doing some research I have decided to get a pair and set up my G-62s with them. Not only will it let me swing the big props but it’s stated that my thrust will increase as much as 30% and the engines run cooler. It also moves the center line for the props and this should keep everything inside the cowl will no blisters necessary. The only bad review I read was that some did not like the sound of the engine with the prop turning a different speed so I found a video with a running G-62 with the reduction unit. I liked the sound myself and the +s seem to out weigh the -s..
Anyone using them?

Ron

Name:	Ig11480.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1555062  
Old 01-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

Youre going to be cutting holes on the top of your cowls.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.