Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Dynaflite 81" Spitfire

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Dynaflite 81" Spitfire

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:34 PM
fvexecdir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dynaflite 81" Spitfire

Ratchet:

The CG wants to be around 27% of the wing chord at the wing root. The plan calls for 25% to 30% at the wing root. I've built several different sizes of this plane and that location is a good starting point. You can slide it back to fit your flying style, but this location is a good, safe starting point. I built one and figured 32% of the wing root would be a good starting point. Barely got it back on the ground in one piece, it was WAY tail heavy. The eliptical wing has some interesting MAC measurements that can fool you on the CG location. Try 27% and then back your way into it.

Rick
Old 11-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Ratchet
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks Rick.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:06 PM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the Dynaflite I am building from plans, I have the gear retracting outward but I made the wheel wells ahead of the spar, I took an easier route for this sport scale model.

Canopies - I see that Traplet (shipping oput of the USA) sells the Brian Taylor canopy that should fit the Dynaflite.

I will use a US41 gasser on mine, the engine weight will be welcome in balancing.

Paint scheme will be in RAF 66 squadron [link]http://www.upaero.com/georgecorbett.html[/link]

cheers -ken

Old 11-23-2008, 10:04 PM
RHarding
My Feedback: (3)

Ken,

How in the world are you going to get a US41 in that airplane? I'm in the process of building the kit and the engine compartment is very small. I was going with a Saito 150 but it's on the big side. I settled for the OS 160 2 stroke and am having to move the firewall back 1 inch. I understand that these airplanes from the Dynaflite kit come out tail heavy so a large engine would be good if it will fit. Let us know how the building is going.

Richard

Old 11-24-2008, 07:02 AM
kenair

I'll post some pics when I bolt the engine back in, actually the US41 fits not too bad with the rear exhaust. A mvvs 35 gasser would probably work too!
cheers - ken
Old 11-25-2008, 04:18 PM
jpflyer
My Feedback: (13)

I built one several years ago with G-38 for power and robart retracts. It was a great flyer, but I did not like the gear retracting ahead of the spar. I bought an American Eagle kit which has a foam wing and fiberglass fuse. BTW, the canopy fits the Dyna perfectly and looks much better. I used the foam wings to cut my own foam for the Dyna Spit. I put the gear in the scale location and had it retracting into the scale position. It was really a nice flyer. I have retired it and been thinking of starting on the AM Spit with a ZDZ 40 RE for power.
jpflyer
Old 11-27-2008, 07:58 PM
kenair

The US41 is a tight squeeze but it fits in nicely for a sport model.
I got the cowl of Ebay, the cowl is a bit short therefore the engine is recessed into the fuseage a bit.

cheers -ken

[link=http://www.upaero.com/georgecorbett.html]Ken's Dynaflite Spitfire[/link]

Old 11-27-2008, 08:35 PM
RHarding

Ken,

By golly, that US 41 does fit. You made a believer out of me. I like your shop. It looks like mine, "USED". My problem is, since I am a widower, unfortunately, I tend to work inside the house some, which is ok until it's raining and some sanding needs to be done. Just a little sanding makes the furnature look like it has not been dusted in a long time. Enough of that. Thanks for the pictures. I got a glass cowl off of ebay also. I think it's better than trying to bend that lite-ply around that nose disc.. I've got a new set of Robart retracks that they made for that airplane. What retracks are you using that retract to the outside?

Richard
Old 11-27-2008, 08:48 PM
kenair

HI, I am using a set of standard Robart 90 degrees that I bought at a swap meet, they might be 630's, I out the right gear in the left wing and so on so that fold up outward.
-ken
Old 11-28-2008, 12:41 AM
warbirdmustang
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Saito 180 should have no problem at all fitting in there then? How is the power to weight ratio with the US 41? I would imagine it to be quite spirited.
Thanks,
Bryan
Old 11-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Asanders

I fly mine with a Saito 150. I put a set of the larger Spring airs in. The 150 cooks this plane quite fast. I am somewhat concerned about the elevators. After reading a few posts back I may take them off and rebuild them as solid elevators and use larger hinges to prevent the elevators from blowing off.
I had the .40 sized Spitfire from Dynaflite years ago. I flew it forever until the elevators blew off. I had an OS .40 fsr in it. that was fast too. I have a short video up on You tube. I dont remember if I posted this before or not (claiming middle age priviliges).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kmrszjk8CY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRkfBpED_eo

apologize for the music to us older types. It is my nephew's band and I thought it was pretty cool for some flght sequences. I know most of us would rather hear the engine.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Mark in Michigan

As I said earlier in this thread, I have a Saito 150 in mine and I didn't have any balancing problems at all with this engine, I just moved the battery around until it balanced. Note I do not have retracts and it is not all scaled out with details and is covered with Monokote. I originally flew it with a Saito 130 twin and it flew fine. With a bigger engine I would be concerned with flutter in the stab as I had it with a 150. The 1/8" ply full-width spar in the stab solved it.

This really is a great flying plane, except it floats too much on landing. Never understood why they quit making this kit.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:15 PM
RHarding

I'm in the process of building a Dynaflite Spitfire that I have had for quite a while and will be putting a OS 160FX in it. What size fuel tank did you use and how much flight time do you get? What muffler did you use? The engine area doesn't leave a lot of room for in cowl muffler.

Richard
Old 12-07-2008, 07:57 PM
ccostant
My Feedback: (38)

I was able to stuff a 24 oz sullivan tank in it. I have my transmitter timer set for 14 minutes and I usually land a little before that. There's always fuel left in the tank but unfortunately I never bothered to see exactly how much is left. I used the stock OS side muffler because like you said there's not much room in the engine compartment. It sure is ugly but it works.

Carl
Old 12-20-2008, 05:28 PM
kenair

HI, got the feet on my dynaflite spit today. only 4 months of winter left :>)
I'm using robart main gear.
cheers - ken
Old 12-31-2008, 01:24 PM
planeoldme

Hello Spitfire builders,
A buddy and I both kit copied this kit and built them up from scratch with great results. We relocated the Robart gear to retract out towards the wing tips and we both fully sheeted them. We run an inverted saito 150 with not much cut out of the side cowl area except the lower chin and front for the cooling and exhaust. No overheating problems at all. The canopy was pulled from a plug I made off of one of the original kits so it is what the kit was desined for. They are both covered in Nelson lite fab and painted with his paints. Mine weighs a bit more then his because of the heavier paint and flat clear I put on. I changed my color scheme so it ended up being actually painted and cleared two times. The odd thing is mine is faster and for some reason will turn a bigger prop. If I rin the 16/8 it will over rev so I run the apc 17/8. As for the weight...Mine is 14.12 and his is 13.2 .
These planes are easily the best flying warbirds I have ever had my hands on and even though the flaps would look great it really won't ever need them.I have two video's of these on here or putfile some where. Mine is titled Spitfire remake with pink floyd and spitfire mk1-His is spitfire turning and burning.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:01 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ken...you gotta bring that back down to MN to see us next year. We missed you in 2008.

Jeff
Old 12-31-2008, 05:45 PM
kenair

HI, all the best to all of you in 2009.

The $4.00 gas put a damper on a lot of travel, Owatonna is a great great event, I hope to get down there again soon, we'll see in 09!
cheers - ken
Old 01-02-2009, 07:35 AM
smkrcflyer

Planeoldme,
I would like to build one of these, but I need a canopy. Are you able to make anymore? If so I would buy one from you.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:09 AM
kenair

HI, if planeoldme cannot provide a canopy, an alternate source for a canopy that could fit is the Brian Taylor's Spit Mk IX at [link]http://www.briantaylorscaleplans.com/product.aspx?p=2513[/link] from Traplet which has an USA office and ships from the US. I ordered a couple of these to have on hand for future projects.
cheers - ken k
Old 01-02-2009, 11:53 AM
koenig427

Thanks for the info Ken. I will contact there USA office to see I can get one.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:37 PM
kenair

HI koenig427, I ordered mine off the website i used the "Buy Now" button.
cheers - ken
Old 01-03-2009, 10:30 AM
RHarding

I'm putting a OS 160 in mine inverted and want a wrap around inverted style muffler. Problem is the space between the engine exhaust and the side of the cowl which is only 3/4 inch. Don't want to cut the cowl if I can help it. Anyone got any suggestions?

Richard
Old 01-03-2009, 10:37 AM
RHarding

How about walking us thru the changes necessary to make the gear retract towart the wing tip. I decided to build the kit that I had stashed away a few years and would like to have the retracts work scale. My retracts are the Robert 630DSPF which they made for this kit.

Richard
Old 01-03-2009, 10:52 AM
RHarding

Happy New Year Ty,

I'm building the Dynaflite Spitfire kit that I talked with you about at our last fall fun fly (Fayetteville). Problem is muffler. I have a fiberglass cowl and the distance from the engine exhaust (OS 160 FX) to the cowl is only about 3/4 inch. I would like to keet the exhaust inclosed. The engine is inverted and will need a wrap around style. Any ideas on who might make a muffler that will work? Also, which on board glow units do you recomment?

Hope to see you at our spring fun fly.

Richard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.