Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

anyone built or own a RCM Spitfire???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

anyone built or own a RCM Spitfire???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 09:58 PM
Scalebuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone built or own a RCM Spitfire???

could u give me some back ground on this plane? i just recently brought one but it needs a lot of work, so any info would be grate/...

E.I how she flys...

engine u use
retracts
and weight..

im a tad worried about her weight as she is near 10LB's withought radio/retracts or engine LOL

although she does have one hel of a nose weight

tnx in advance
Old 05-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Mustang Man-RCU

Rick,
Are you refering to the Mk I Spitfire featured in the April 90 issue of R.C.M. magazine with 63" wingspan that is a scratch build project? If so, I have one. the one you describe sounds like mine. It flies great once you get it in the air. Mine weighs 10 1/2 pounds ready to fly. It's powered by a Saito 91 and the retracts are scratch built. Due to the high wing loading you gotta be on your toes while flying this one. Keep the landing speed up because when it stalls you don't have much warning. If you have experience with warbirds you'll figure it out, If you don't have warbird experience, have a warbird pilot take it up for you and check it out. You will, eventually learn to enjoy flying this plane if it survives the initial flights. It really is a fun plane to fly and looks sooooooo good in the air. I hope this helps and the best of luck.
Steve
Old 05-09-2003, 06:37 PM
Scalebuff

yep thats the one

ive been trying to track this one down for ages but i just could'nt find what spit it was then i thought of RCm and did search and there she was

thanks for your info steve, so its not just mine thats heavy then lol, but there seems to be a lot of nose weight on this bird, the cowl is one of the longest iv seen in the spit range, but god it weighs a ton lol...

any chance of a few pics? and what did u cover yours in? this is crazzy covering (the old brown paper way) you can peel this stuff of and its 2 mil thick

i carnt wait to get this bird in the air, i have another spit in the works now, so it will be a while before i get round to this one but i carnt wait ...
BTW

did you add flaps?

and do you think a ASP 60 would be under powerd for this?

thx again steve grate to get some info on her at last
Old 05-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Mustang Man-RCU

Rick,
Flaps, Oh how I wish I had added flaps. It would have made life so much easier when I started flying this one. No, I just learned to work around them. But thats O.K. Many....no, most of the warbirds had high landing speeds so it's pretty scale I guess in the way it lands. With the Saito 91 this plane is NOT over powered. I think your ASP will fly it but be prepared for a long takeoff run. I painted over fiberglass for the finish. I think the reason for all the nose weight is due to the tail feathers being slab balsa as opposed to stick built, but of course they don't tell you about that in the construction notes so you find out after the fact. I had to add a lead ring just inside the front of the cowl as well as a heavy hub under the spinner to get the balance where it's supposed to be. My cowl alone weighs two pounds. I have a friend that I fly with who just got one of these fancy digital cameras and he takes photos for me. We have not gotten around to the Spit yet for pics but I'm going to the field today and I'll take it along for some shots, I hav'nt flown it for a couple of months and it's due a flight anyway so I'll send a pic or two along in a couple of days. I'm sure you will enjoy your Spit once you learn its characteristics but be prepared for a handfull.
Steve
Old 05-10-2003, 04:46 PM
Scalebuff

steve your are the MAN!

thank you for your info m8, your nose looks about the same as mine actualy in weight, so i feel a lot better there

I think ill ditch the asp 61 and go with a 91 as you say then, i dont want to be left with no power when i realy need it

i have never glased a plane before so i duno wether to have a shot at it or what, plus i may be adding more weight to

i was planning on adding flaps to both spits but i dont have the plan of RCM spit so i gues ill just have to follow my nose lol...

hope you get chance to get those pics and happy landing's i dont want you comming back here saying it went in
tnx for your info once again its put my mind at rest
Old 05-11-2003, 02:34 AM
Mustang Man-RCU

Rick,
I took the Spit to the field today and had a flight but only one as the crosswinds came up suddenly and strong, not the best conditions for a plane of that type and as you say I really don't want to put it in so........ We did get a couple of pics and I will forward them as soon as my flying buddy gets back home and sends them to me. (He's camped at the field for a few days). In the mean time good luck with both Spits and if I can be of any more assistance let me know.
Steve
Old 05-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Scalebuff

LOL good choice to bring it back in

i lost my mustang that way in on final's looking good and a gust got under here wings, cart-wheeled the full length of the strip lost everything except 2 servo's and the engine but even that needed a lot of work

retracts we totaly demolished (3 flight with retracts in the plane),

anyway thx again steve looking forward to seing ya pics

happy landings
Old 05-12-2003, 08:09 PM
bobripley-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RCM Spitfire

I built the RCM Spitfire in 1994-1995. Actually I started with an old Sterling Spit and made a new wing and tail feathers from the RCM plans and construction article. The model flew very well with a Saito 91 even though it weighed 10.6 lbs. You had to be very careful during the take off run and use lots of right rudder other wise it would torque to the left in an instant. Once in the air it flew beautifully.
Like most warbird models a flat and slow approach to land was asking for trouble. The stall that would surly come would result in the right wing dropping followed by a nasty termination of flight. This happened to me twice but I learned to fly a scale warbird from the experience. Have fun building yours and like the others have advised keep the trail light. I had to add 17.5 oz. to the nose to get my Spitfire to balance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	77949_14763.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	45858  
Old 05-12-2003, 08:48 PM
bobripley-RCU

Default Spitfire Picture

I am not sure if that picture came out so here is a view from the front. This model had Spring Air retracts and working flaps.

Name:	77957_14763.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	45859  
Old 05-12-2003, 08:54 PM
bobripley-RCU

Default Spitfire Picture II

Last Picture. This was my first scale model were I used fiberglass and epoxy to cover the airframe plus the entire model was painted including all the markings. Also it was my first stab at weathering.
I learned a lot from all accounts.

Name:	77958_14763.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	45860  
Old 05-13-2003, 12:49 PM
Mustang Man-RCU

Rip,
Well said. I'm glad you mentioned applying right rudder on takeoff, I forgot to mention it. Although most warbirds require right rudder during the takeoff run both my Spitfire and Mustang require about all the right rudder they have to keep them on the runway. I have to position the Mustang to the right side of the runway when I start my takeoff run and it requires full right rudder to stay in a safe location near the center line while taking off. The Spit is not as bad but you have to pay close attention to where it is going while taking off. Both fly as smooth as a baby's butt once in the air though. Thanks for posting the pics, it's always a treat to see a well detailed plane. Nice work.
Steve
Old 05-17-2003, 11:49 PM
Scalebuff

thx rip for the pics thata grate looking plane, and steve i have replyed to ya email m8 , been off line for some time so sorry it was a bit late

well im glad im not the only one with this spit LOL, i was feeling a little on my own with this one

tnx guys
Old 05-18-2003, 02:59 AM
Mustang Man-RCU

Rick,
Just sent you the pics. When I get them shrunk down I'll post one or two here.
Regards
Steve
Old 05-19-2003, 12:37 AM
Scalebuff

tnx steve.

i have not recived any email off you yet though?

try this one if not it may be the file size thats got us going

[email protected]

thx again steve
Old 05-19-2003, 01:33 PM
Mustang Man-RCU

O.K. Rick. I'll try that one
Steve