Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Sterling Spitfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 12:32 AM
Matty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sterling Spitfire

Does anyone have any info on the Sterling Spitfire kit. I think the model # is FF14. The kit is for sale for $115.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:50 AM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sterling kits were just kinda sorta scale. The die cutting is terrible, heavy wood, parts don't fit and kits were done in the late 60s so no retract detail or much detail at all. Do yourself a favor and get a Top Flite or Pica kit. Altho they are not perfectly scale they are close and you could actually have a good chance of making a nice flying airplane. Don
Old 05-14-2003, 04:07 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Before I knew any better, I once bought a Sterling P-51 kit at an auction. Launched into building it only to get so frustrated with the antique buildoing methods that it was never finished. I would stay away from any Sterling kit.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:25 PM
WS

They may not have built very well, but I flew the Spitfire model and it flew beautifully, better than the TF model, imo. The Pica flies nice too, but you gotta put flaps on them! Generally, I'm a huge TF fan, but there's something about their Spitfire that just isn't right, wing too narrow? canopy too far back? I dunno, can't quite put my finger on it.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:29 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wells,

I think one thing that makes in look out of sorts is that the retracts are in the wrong place...too wide for scale. I'm not sure but i think that is one thing that struck me.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:49 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,
The Sterling P-51 was based on a design by Phil Brietling in the '60's. It was the 1st low wing "scale" r/c model, and I use that term loosely. I think that it was originally flown on reeds then he switched to proportional. I remember seeing the original fly and everyone was amazed that a low wing "scale" model could fly so well.
I heard, but can't confirm, that he used the moments of the Astro Hog, the 1st low wing muli model, and changed the outline to make it into a "Mustang". The Spitfire was in the same category.
Sterling kits were OK back then and their models flew OK, but unless you're building for an old timer R/C event, you're really wasting your time and money building one of these kits.
Regards,
Jon
Old 05-14-2003, 08:06 PM
Matty

Thanks for the info on the Spit. Seems like I'll have to go with a TF kit, but not the Mk IX. I would like an earlier version but TF dosen't make one. Perhaps the Corsair? Thanks to everyone again.