Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite P-47

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 06:16 AM
Amish
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite P-47

Let's go ahead and get one thing out the way, "Hi, I'm new here. I've never flown before and I think it will be quite a while before I do."

I have no illusions about me building a kit and taking off from the street in front of my house. I've read enough horror stories from other posters on this board to have learned my lesson quite a few times.

I've gotten in touch with a few people that have flown in this area before and they've all told me the same thing about the only club in my local area. That is that it's not really active anymore.

I've found a few others that I have yet to contact that are about an hour to an hour and a half away. That pretty much leaves me to weekend learning.

Ah geez, I'm rambling sorry I'll get right to the point. I'm not going to have to buy my trainer as I have a friend scrounging up some equipment that he doesn't use anymore. So I'm looking to buy and build a warbird kit (Top Flite 1/8 P-47). I think it would be good for me to have a goal while I'm learning on my trainer. I haven't actually bought anything yet. I'm waiting on a large cash transfer to go through before I'll have the funds.

What I'm wondering about is all the extra's that can be done with this kit. Cockpit, retracts, engines, and so on.

What have you guys done with your P-47's? What do you think works the best, and what would you do different if you could?

I've Stepped of the Deep End,
Amish
Old 05-14-2003, 12:09 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Flite P-47

Its not like we havent heard this before. That warbird should be your 5th or 6th plane. How old are (young, middle aged, retired)! I've noticed that younger people that play video games tend to learn pretty quick. I'm teaching my middle aged brother inlaw and expect it to be about 2 yrs before he is comfortable burning up the sky with a trainer. It took me 2 years to get to the point that I dont get the sweats before fights after a couple of months layoff. But sometimes, if you just jump in and fly everyday, a season is all you need. Warbirds fly different, they are usually a higher wing loading than a trainer or sport plane. As much as you like warbirds now, your interest might change later to sport planes that can fly easier. Having said all that, I know how you feel. I flew for about 7 years in the sport arena till I felt confident enough to get into warbirds. All I can tell you is its a little different. Take your time building up your skill set and you'll be happier with the end results later. I've seen countless TF kits, or other warbirds bite the dirt cause they didnt know how to takeoff. Go to warbirds.com and read the section on technique, I believe. Lots of insight.
Edwin

I live 40 min. from my primary field, 1 hr and 15 min from a field with a paved runway that I just joined. I try to fly about 3 or 4 times a week, weather permitting. Its a work release thing for me. Helps wind down.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:18 PM
tim thompson

Default Top Flite P-47

totally argee with edwin. Warbirds fly heavy and you should be flying low wing for a while.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:39 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Default Top Flite P-47

Amish-Set some realistic goals :This year "solo" and learn the basics take offs,landings,(controlled flight)I.E. flying your trainer where you want to fly it ,that accomplished you will progress to a low or shoulder wing aircraft with a semi symmetrical wing and preferably a tail dragger. During this progression utilize rudder for take offs (compensating for engine torque or P factor and continue to use rudder coordinated with ailerons to fly parallel to the run way in varing wind conditions I.E. keeping your aircraft on heading using rudder while coordinated with ailerons to keep your wings level. "Get in the habit" of using rudder through out each flight bycompensating for engine torque during inital application of power at start of take off roll ,during climb out holding a straight course,coordinating rudder and ailerons during turns to holding your aircraft on course while approaching the run way to land,as exemplified by (yawing) the nose of your plane into the wind in order that you hold a straight course during decent to landing . Once on the ground holding up elevator to keep your "warbird trainer" from nosing over as you feel the exhilaration of an other sucessfull controlled flight with YOU in control. Your next step toward that first fighter mission might I again suggest be some thing with a full symmetrical wing also a tail dragger . By going through this 3 step 3 type aircraft training process you might be pleasantly surprised just how well a correctly built and set up war bird will fly. A couple good first warbird choices might be a PT-19'T-34 or t-6 all 3 of which should be available in kit or ARF versions . Just remember to build on your flying proficiency I.E. an in inherently lightly loaded(wing loading) basic trainer then step 2 an intermediate trainer (an aircraft with a semi semetrical airfoil a tail dragger and of low wing loading and then step 3 in preparation to that first war bird becoming proficient flying a design like the Ultra stick or the older Joe Bridi Kaos-
Old 05-16-2003, 03:27 AM
mkuzmukerau

Default Top Flite P-47

Figured I would add a somewhat positive note and not totally crush your dreams... Before I got into flying I was into boats and cars, so was used to working on the equipment and using sticks to control something. I flew alot of Simulators with a joystick, and eventually tried a RC Sim, and flew fine, but then again I had alot of background in how planes flew (I worked at an airport in highschool). I didnt want a trainer so I jumped right into a Kyosho P-40. Got about 10 flights out of it until I lost it in the sun. And also I was flying at a park in the middle of a neighborhood, (not a good idea, little kids bugging me to try, house, powerlines, etc...) So it was gone. I picked up a trainer, and because it was slow, and I learned not to fly in high wind, i learned fast. The bigs things to learn are depth perception and spacial reasoning.... Once you get used to what it should look like at certain distances, and learn to keep yourself calm you';ll be fine. I got a T/F P-40 on the construction table now, and moved into a Hanger 9 P-51, and flew it w/o any problems, and this is with having about a month on a trainer.... (20 flights or so) So it can be done.....

Mike
Old 05-16-2003, 03:28 AM
mkuzmukerau

Default Top Flite P-47

Another big point I left out, get someone at the field who instucts to take it up a couple of times, he can do all the hard stuff and will be there if things go awry..... Its a win win situation....
Old 05-16-2003, 03:13 PM
Amish
My Feedback: (1)

Default Top Flite P-47

I've pretty much heard the same thing from everyone I've talked to, "Get a trainer first." Well I have. I'm getting a Hobbico SuperStar 40 Select RTF 60".

To be honest I didn't really plan on flying this thing for at least 6 months to a year. I figured it would take at least that long for me to build the thing if not double that. I just wanted a general idea of some of the things that people have done to mod this particular warbird. I guess it's kinda like how a Civic owner does to make his stand out from the other 10,000 Civics that cruise around town.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:35 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Default Top Flite P-47

Amish-

One thing that always stands out is craftsmanship .......... You seem to have a "plan" regarding learning to fly so I won't bother you with more of the flying stuff----- Lets see:you are considering a 1/8 scale P-47 if you are talking current 1995 design it would be the Topflight Gold Edition (1/7 scale) as for mods the cockpit is a good starting point the Top Flight P-47 cockpit is very basic when you for example compare their replicated instrument panel and an actual photo of a full scale one- In any event built per plans the P-47 is an excellent flyer. Back to Mods you say.. compare the true scale outline of say the rudder and elevators and a "mod" becomes necessary to replicate the curve near the end of the fin/rudder&stabilizer and elevator. If you are serious about modifications to make the aircraft more authentic in appearance purchase a 1/48 plastic scale model which will help you decide how much in the way of mods you want to do to improve realism.Lastly if you plan to install retracts add the plywood webs which the plans show as an optional "Mod."when using the Century jet retracts, this one little" Mod." proved beneficial to increasing the durability of the main gear's rigidity. My 1/7 thunderbolt is pictured in the rcwarbirds 'Fighter gallery.' with a few mods to an already EXCELLENT kit.