Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Electric Byron F-16 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Electric Byron F-16 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:42 PM
muskis2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric Byron F-16 Build

Phew,
Just finished the last post, took awhile reading all of them. Wanted to know a few things. What landing gear and retract is recomended on the byron f16, (I'll be flying off of a paved runway) and is iron bay still around. I just scored a Byron F16 and its going to be on its way to colorado in the next week or two. Again another thing to explain to the wife why I needed another airplane.....

Great thread,
Bill in Colorado
Old 03-31-2009, 12:55 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am still searching to see if anyone has a straight on picture, or can scan the rear most former update that goes below the rudder so I can make one for mine.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:13 PM
The Ghost

Bill, the retracts that I had for mine are Rhom, but in the instructions they also list Spring Air. Somewhere in the thread is scans of the retract mounts.

JohnVH, here is a scan of more than half of the former.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89001.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1170011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90638.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1170012  
Old 03-31-2009, 04:30 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you Ghost! That will help.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Max1965

muskis2 here is a link for the retracts which are built for the Byron F-16.....I assume they are still stocking the set.

http://centuryjet.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=28
Old 04-02-2009, 01:42 PM
akramqsc

please can you tel me from whear i can bay the saft
Old 04-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Max1965

akramqsc :

Can you be more specific.....I don't understand what you are asking. Are you looking for the fan/shroud setup or the adapter for holding the motor?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:13 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guy's

I haven't disappered, I have just been busy working away at a million other things.

I have pulled the fan/motor out of the 16 and have converted all the connections there to 6mm bullets, up from the 2.5mm i had in there. I'm trying to find out why my amp draw is lower than everyone else's and maybe explain why flight number #2 was so laboured ( i.e down on power) I'm now wondering if maybe the packs are also not delivering???? Hyperion have a sale on their packs at the moment and i couls replace mine with hyperions for about $350 USD. not sure what to do, but i would like this thing to fly nicely. I haven't quite got round to the front end repairs yet but i hope to do them tomorrow.

Thanks

Dave
Old 04-15-2009, 02:15 AM
akramqsc

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

Well parts arrived today (only took two weeks[] Good ol' aussie post) First photo is motor with a new longer shaft fitted, old shaft and spare shaft material in bag. Second photo is the bearings for the front mount in stator unit. Third photo is the front mount with the bearing and motor mounted. Forth photo is unit with the fan fitted. Have tested with 6 cell pack (all I have at the moment) and it works great, not as loud as I thought. Will be deadly on 12 cell, can't wait[>:]. Still no more painting as it is still raining here today, should be clearing over the weekend, may get the painting done then.

Cheers
thankyou for replaying

in theas imeges i see shaft extension so from whear i can bay the long shaft for the motor????
Old 04-15-2009, 04:35 AM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: akramqsc

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

Well parts arrived today (only took two weeks[] Good ol' aussie post) First photo is motor with a new longer shaft fitted, old shaft and spare shaft material in bag. Second photo is the bearings for the front mount in stator unit. Third photo is the front mount with the bearing and motor mounted. Forth photo is unit with the fan fitted. Have tested with 6 cell pack (all I have at the moment) and it works great, not as loud as I thought. Will be deadly on 12 cell, can't wait[>:]. Still no more painting as it is still raining here today, should be clearing over the weekend, may get the painting done then.

Cheers
thankyou for replaying

in theas imeges i see shaft extension so from whear i can bay the long shaft for the motor????
Hi, the long shaft was custom machnied by Ghost for his motor... if you go to rcgroups and check out the byron conversion thread and you will see alternate mounting methods that might also work for you.

thanks

dave
Old 04-15-2009, 06:36 AM
ticketec

Well, after posting on another forum, and looking at what i had, i realised that i ordered the wrong motor %!#$%^!#%!#$[:@]

I ordered the A50 14s which was correct, but the 14 pole one not the 10 pole! that's why she is short on the get up and go...

I have just ordered the Scorpion HK-4035 630kv which by all reports delivers more go than the hacker anyway, while i wait for the new Little screamer motor to come into stock in another month or two. On 10s testing has shown a whopping 16lb of thrust!! [8D][8D] turbine? what turbine??

I'd have to buy a new ESC because it does that at 120A[X(] and mine is only rated to 100A.

I hope to have some more flight reports in as soon as the new motor arrives and the weather plays nice.

thanks

dave
Old 04-15-2009, 05:16 PM
johntjg
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Guys I just lost my F-16 over the summer but I have an unfinished kit so if anyone is looking I have a set of Rom Air retracts 2 new in box byron fan units and landing gear plates are still on the retracts . the wood that the origional elevator servo failed on the f-16 is what shot the falcon down and boy thats really what it looked like. I was at full throttle on a 60 degree dive to take another radar pass and hopefully see 160 mph and 20 feet of the deck ilost elevator control and she went in . At that speed and altitude I didn't have time to react. all that was salvagable was the landing gear. It went in the grass and went almost a foot in the ground and ten feet long. Everyone who saw the crash helped me with a spade dig the the motor out of the ground and carry parts to the trash. Its a pretty bad day when ten people are walking back from a crash and everyone is carring parts.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:30 AM
The Ghost

ORIGINAL:- akramqsc

Hi all, its been a while. I bought the shaft from an engineering suppiler. It is 6mm hardened shaft.

I will not be finnishing mine as I have had to sell it due to my worsening health issues. I was sorry to see it go but that's just the way it is. I have not given up on modeling, but I have slowed down a lot.

Cheers
Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gee wiz Ghost I wish you the best on your recovery and thank you for all your input on the byron f16.................... GOD BLESS....
Old 04-22-2009, 12:52 PM
akramqsc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPbc4...e=channel_page

12 s lipo 4500ma
Old 04-22-2009, 04:03 PM
ticketec

Ghost, that's sad news to hear, I hope you are getting better soon and back into modelling at full pace again.

Hey Johntjg,

Sorry to hear of the loss of your model! Have PM'd you re: retracts

Thanks

dave
Old 04-22-2009, 04:07 PM
ticketec

Well, My scorpion motor has arrived!!!! this should give her the extra omph she needed to fly nicely!

I should have it installed in the next day or so and i will begin testing as soon as i can. I'm going to be running 11s for the test, as no one seems to have test data available for the scorpion on 11s. and that's all i have in packs anyways

Thanks
dave
Old 04-23-2009, 10:45 PM
buckarooo
My Feedback: (7)

Sorry to hear about the F-16 johntjg but not much you could do about a mechanical failure.

Ghost I am sorry to hear you are under the weather. Get well soon and try to keep up the modeling as it is great therapy.

Ticketec I was following your progress and it was a bummer on the Hacker but I think you made a wise choice with the HK4035 630. I does look like one of the best power plants currently available for the Byron. You are right theres not a lot of info on that set up with 11s. Plumberjohn on the rcg site ran it on 12s but I never got any numbers. Authoritve is what he called it. However I think 11s will be the sweet spot for that motor. Scorpion motors seem to be able to take a beating and that motor is rated at 4200w. 11s should keep the draw down enough to get some nice long flights. Good luck with her. Keep us posted.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:44 AM
ticketec

thanks buckaroo,

Yeah buying the wrong hacker was a bummer, but i can can't blame anyone else but me

Yes i have found it strange that no one has posted any data on 11s. on RCG Scalebrad did post figures for 12s and they were pretty big, including amp draw. I have averaged the figures posted for 12s and 10s and it should thoretically put out about 14lbs of thrust on 11s which is a fair bit mroe than the ICDF days so it should be nice. at least i now know that a byron will fly on 9-10lbs thrust. not great, but it will fly.

Just waiting to hear from Johntjg on the retracts and she'll be one step closer to being finished.

thanks

dave
Old 05-06-2009, 05:35 AM
ticketec

well, had a pretty busy weekend of modelling... I was about 2.5h north of brisbane at a warbirds event, but i couldn't fit my F-16 in the car, so i only got video of my TF 1/7 P-51B mustang on Saturday at Tin Can bay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrofJhHn9VI

On sunday it was the biggest e event in Australia and i had my F-16 there for the sunday. I only managed 2 circuits as i got major glitching on the first downwind leg, but i managed to save her and landed very promptly. nil damage. I was really happy with the scorpion. Wow what a thrust increase, she really got up and launched off the runway. I throttled back straight away as i'm still on 11s and pulling over 100A[X(] Here is some video where you can only really see the takeoff so i added a few things in there to make it a little more veiwable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG5XIsKQktk

thanks

dave
Old 05-06-2009, 06:02 AM
Max1965

Wow! You are pushing your luck Dave.......might be a good idea to wait for your 2.4 delivery.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:15 AM
ticketec

Yeah well, it was a brand new Hyperion R/X i bought specifically for the F-16 which was fine on the second flight, I think that the aerial was in line with the power leads down the spine of the fuse and that's what gave her greif. The second i taxied into the pit's i was onto the phnoe to Peter Oz and asked him to order me a 2.4g module so it should be all good for the next attempt. hopefull it will arrive before the weekend..

I have been in contact with johntjg and he said he would be mailing out the retracts this week so i can't wait for them to arrive as well. Finally i am waiting on a quote from tailor made decals for the tail marking and finally get this thing finished. Had her weighed by the heavy model inspector who happened to be there on the day and she was right on 6kg... a little more than i was hoping for[]

thanks

dave
Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Flyfalcons

Time to fire the camera guy.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:59 AM
f16man

Thought I would check in to see how things are going on the f16's

Old 05-23-2009, 08:25 AM
ticketec

I have been working a bit on mine, just not posting..

I'm still waiting for the 2.4G module for my JR 9X, so i really don't want to fly her unless ineed too, But the decals have come in and i am busy prettying her up. This includes rubbing down the whole airframe with 2000 grit and then clear coating the model, to give the decals a smooth surface to stick to. I've just finished touching up the paintwork on the undersides and i'll touch up the top sides tomorrow before i clear coat it. then the rest of the decals can be put on then the final clear can go down.

I have also taken the time to properly repair the inlet duct from flight number 2 landing over the ditch, during which i stumbled across some damage to the left elevator which i will have to fix before the next flight.

The cockpit kit that arrived a few weeks ago is almost ready to go in after the repaint, and the sidewinders are just awaiting the last of the colours to be sprayed on before they care mounted onto the rails, of which i vac formed a new one today to replace the one that was lost during flight #2.

So lot's going on with my F-16 and i will post some more pic's as i finish putting the decals on.

Thanks

dave

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70377.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1204053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51354.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1204054  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.