Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

3M Silver Mylar film

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

3M Silver Mylar film

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 08:59 PM
Warbird Nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M Silver Mylar film

I read about it on Warbirds.com. It s also referred to as "Metalized Polyester Tape". Does anyone have experience using this to simulate aluminum skin? Also where could it be purchased?

Thank you
Old 05-18-2003, 09:13 PM
hotrodmustang

I too have heard of this stuff and sorry I don't have any answers but I to am looking to find out alittle about this stuff. I wouldnt suppose its good for going over corners wing tips etc. I am also curious about wieght. And last could it be cut and applied to resemble pannels. A thought I had was to cover plane in a dark grey monocoat then leave a microscopic reveal between tape pieces.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:38 PM
Warbird Nut

Below are some links with more info and examples of what it looks like. From what I've read it is very light, strong, impervious to varoius fuels and has excellent adhesive qualities. The downside is that it doesn't conform well to compound curves and comes in 2" rolls.

http://www.rcwarbirds.com/techniguespage.htm#q3
http://www.rcwarbirds.com/feature3.htm
Old 05-19-2003, 01:11 AM
barnyard
My Feedback: (3)

Carl B. had some of his planes at the Joe Nall and I got real close and personal with the Lancaster bomber that was there and finished with this tape. It looked real good, I mean REAL good. The only drawback that I can see is that the tape comes in limited widths and if a panel that needs to be cut is larger than the tape, then creative license will have to be applied. Other than that, I was impressed and will try this method on a Yellow P-47 I have about 25% done.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:31 AM
Warbird Nut

Barnyard,

Do you know where the tape can be puchased? I've looked at hardware, craft the only place I've found it is online.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:41 AM
barnyard

The only place I have found is on line as well. This is one

http://www.hillas.com/Products/3M_Po...50_3X72_SV.asp

They seem to have every known type of tape in existence.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:56 PM
Warbird Nut

Barnyard,

"3M POLYESTER FILM TAPE; 3M POLYESTER FILM TAPE; 3 X 72 YD; SILVER"

That's a 3" roll and according to my calculations comes to 648 square ft. Enough to cover a squadron of planes.

My current project, a TF P-47 Gold will be covered in Flite Metal
but I may give the polyester a shot in the future on a larger scale plane.

Good luck let me know how it goes if you use it.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:31 PM
barnyard

I have two planes that I want to do in "natural" metal. I have a Ziroli P-40 that has yet to see a drop of CA and the Yellow P-47 Razorback. I think I will try the P-47 with tape and the P-40 w/flite metal.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:35 PM
Nickrc3
My Feedback: (6)

Default 3M tape

Hey Bernie - Weren't those planes Carl brought down gorgeous?
I picked his brain for hours about the 3M tape method and will probably try it on a forthcoming B-17.

Had a great time at the Nall. You like those dual passes Trent and I did on our Ziroli Skyraiders?

Nick
Old 05-20-2003, 05:59 PM
barnyard

Too cool. I just loved it there. next year I will fly. I just went this year to get the lowdown on the whole shebang. Caught the skyraiders on Thursday eve??? I left Friday AM had prior engagements to attend to... The things I love about these types of affairs is sometimes the need to fly and build fades and these outings bring it back strong again...

I am getting ready to start on a Ziroli P-40 anyday now and will be putting it on the web as I go.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:20 AM
hotrodmustang

Okay guy's I'm in the construction business and as I was installing some exhaust fan ducts today I grabed my roll of now code required alluminum foil tape I believe that this stuff is exactly what has been talked about but didn't put 2 and 2 together. I purchase it at the local lumber yard. This tape is a true roll of very thin adhesive alluminum.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:23 AM
hotrodmustang

I also might add that I played around with it a little today and found that if you use a squegy you can apply it smothly but much care is needed as to not wrenkle it it's simmilar to a roll tin foil in that aspect but a little more forgiving.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:09 AM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Silver/aluminum Polyester Tape

This product has been available to the modeling community for a long time sold as Coverite Presto. Monokote trim sheets are the same.

As stated earlier, it is an extruded thermoset plastic which has shape memory. In other words it is constantly trying to return to its original shape regardless of how you stretch it. If you stretch it over compound curves its difficult to keep it down. Also, it turns gray when clear coated.

The aluminum duct tape is highly annealed rendering it hard and very easy to wrinkle. The best attribute of Flite-Metal is that it is not annealed, dead soft and stretches in excess of 11% of area mass. It loves compound curves.

The next best aluminum finish is Bob Violetts Metalkote paint system.

Just a thought...
Old 05-22-2003, 01:59 AM
Nickrc3
My Feedback: (6)

Default Aluminum Tape

Chris,
that A/C ducting tape is excellent for providing a raised panel or hatch and looks great when weathered by scratching. This mylar tape is something I've never seen used and was very impressed with the aluminum simulation.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:11 AM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

It is really hard to beat Flite Metal for the most realistic aluminum finish. Click on my gallery button to see two P-47's that I finished using Flite Metal.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:57 PM
eggsmartha

Has anyone used the 3M aluminum tape product 1449, it's a dead soft aluminum tape, 1.4mils thick (that's .0015 inches, exactly the same as flite-metal) with an acrylic adhesive (again, this is what flite-metal uses according to their website) with 11% elasticity. I found a source for this for $70 for a two roll case, that's two rolls of 6" width x 180 feet of tape. I'm probably going to get a case just to check it out, at this price it's a heck of a lot cheaper than flite-metal at $45 for 6" x 50 feet. Check out this link for the 3M specs.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html
Old 07-01-2003, 05:46 PM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3M 1449 aluminum duct tape

Yes, I have used 3Mİ1449 Linerless Aluminum Duct Tape.

This post serves to differentiate 3Mİ1449 self adhesive aluminum from Flite-Metalİ and not intended to be argumentative or seen as a sales-call on this fabulous forum.

Flite-Metal's customers speak with authority from their personal experience with our products. However it is impossible for them to respond to an assumption being expressed by a forum member...that 3Mİ1449 is Flite-Metalİ.

I wish for all the world that 3Mİ1449 were the same as Flite-Metalİ however 3Mİ1449 is not the same. What's the different between 3Mİ1449 and Flite-Metalİ.

A. Flite-Metalİ has a silicon release liner... 3Mİ1449 does not.
B. Flite-Metalİ is softer than 3Mİ1449.
C. Flite-Metal's raw aluminum is only available in master "logs" which are cut down to 6 and 12 inch width, specific length rolls.

The 3Mİ1449 product is designed for integration into continuous manufacturing where-in aluminum is bonded to fiber and or fiber glass compression board in manufacturing ducts and panels.

Will 3Mİ1449 work as an aluminum laminate for your scale model.

Yes.....IF

1. You build an calendar tree to permit unwinding the aluminum without severe wrinkels (as a cat's behind ) caused by the elongation and tactile retention of adhesive. Why???? Because 3Mİ1449 is wrapped and adhered onto "itself" without a release liner when you pull off a length of 3Mİ1449 is stretches and wrinkles worse than a cat's behind , immediately.

Flite-Metalİ arrives at your home ready to unroll effortlessly to what ever length you desire. Flite-Metalİ is ready to use...right from the roll. Pull whatever length you need, cut it with scissors and peel liner off of Flite-Metalİ for immediate use.

2. After resolving #1 you then must consume 3Mİ1449 within its 18 month shelf life before adhesion replaces #1 as a problem.

Hope this explained the differences between 3Mİ1449 linerless aluminum duct tape and Flite-Metalİ. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me back channel at [email protected] or use the link below to immediately send a message using RCU's pathway.

Again, I repeat 3Mİ1449 is not available as a silicone release sheet packaged product. If you would like to place an order for tonage of a product with that specification... 3Mİ is more than happy to speak to you at your earliest convenience at 1-800-362-3550...
Old 07-01-2003, 06:07 PM
eggsmartha

I was just asking a question, not making a judgement. Since I haven't used either product yet I'm certainly not in a position to judge the difference between the two. I have found that the 3M product is available in a linered roll, btw, and since both products are rated as "dead soft" and have the same 11% elasticity I assumed they were similar. On the flite-metal side, 3M doesn't offer product support or show you how to make rivets, panel lines, etc., when you're covering your r/c plane/