Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 07:53 PM
lkahn4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Hey guys,
Lost 2 weeks due to my build partner being on vacation and then having his sister die the day he got back. Hoping to have plane balanced this week so we can het it started and maybe a test flight on the 18th or 25th.
Lost my Cermark s2b Pitts last week, had the top wing pull off mid flight, got all but 1 servo back and the YS 120 had the crank shaft broken off with spinner and prop still attached, it was nowhere to be found.
I found someone in NC that has one for sale, have to convince the wife to take a ride with me.

Will post more this week....

PS.. Chic are you playing with your trains again?

Old 08-12-2012, 04:45 AM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK Guys, I can not tell a lie. I live tooooo close to Mount Vernon, GW's house (cherry tree). Any hoooooo, I had built the wing panels for the DAWG and had painted the fuse when of all people, Charlie sent me an email basically telling me to check the washout of the wing panels because without it, the DAWG flies terrible. Of course I followed Charlie's lead and guess what I found - at the root it measured 0 degrees, at the tip, it measured 0 degrees. Right, I did not build in the 1.5 degrees of washout. Thanks to Charlie, I got a wing short kit (ribs) and began to rebuild the wing panels. Check the last entry under the 25% Cessna Bird Dog Build here on RCU. Thanks to Charlie, I'll have a better flying DAWG. So that backs me up several weeks but Noah, I'm still working on the DAWG and glancing over to admire the Avenger. You'll hear me holler all the way out West when again, I start back working on the Avenger. Nats 2013 I still hope to attend. Chic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75622.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	1791134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14103.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1791135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15294.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	1791136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81089.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	1791137  
Old 08-12-2012, 05:00 AM
Fleet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is still to be assembled thus it is scattered about the shop with the occassional glancing eye wishing I had more room.

Still plugging along with my 1/3 scale Fleet... if your interested:  http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_99...page_10/tm.htm

My goal was to clean out a spare bedroom and set up some shop space and I could start some basic framing in the AC.  Our South Carolina summers are legendary.

Ray W.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:55 AM
peter w h

Hey Guys,

Well ummmmm  It seems landscaping is more important than building airplanes, don't get me wrong, Barbara is good to me, she even let me buy a shinny new trailer but the Avenger has suffered a small set back.
Need ideas for securing Avenger and now a 140" Ziroli DC3 inside the trailer, any thoughts; Velcro, bungees, Barbara?

The DVI still has not flown but it will happen soon.

I started back at the build yesterday and  managed to get the gun turret roughed in. 

Question#1; anyone have a picture of what the inside of the man door looks like ? 

Question#2;  Anyone have experience with Evolution radials 7-35, are they any good?

Peter

Old 08-12-2012, 06:21 AM
Fleet

If I may offer my $.02  on the trailer thing, I'd go with the velcro strips with components firmly layed in foam mounts of sorts.   One impact is enough to be wary but with bungies, two or more impacts could be expected from a pot hole jolt.  

Pot Hole Jolt.... I like that.  Good name for a band.

Ray W.

PS  wives can be quite expensive if you try to dump them.   Keep Babs.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:54 AM
redtail

Hi Peter, I completely agree with Fleet. The Jet Boys told me directly to use Velcro "ONLY" along with foam supports for the fuse's. Wings attached to the side walls by velcro also. They are speaking from experience - travelling to a fly in, then opening the trailer doors and seeing their jets having been moved around and about and thus damaged solely because the bungee cords allowed far tooooo much up/down and/or left/right movement. OK, back to the workshop for me. Chic
Old 08-12-2012, 09:54 AM
butlern

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter, check with Tom here on RCU (username Maxam). He has owned and operated nearly all production radials, from Moki to Seidel to Evolution. Look in one of the Evolution radial threads, and send him a personal message/PM. He'd love to tell you about all that he has gleaned from his experiences.

Where are you going to stick the Evo? Are you re-fitting the Avenger?

Chic, glad you caught the washout issues before it manifested in flight. Keep up the efforts!

Larry, it'll happen when you both are ready. Slow, steady and sure is the best policy.

Ray, that Fleet is awesome. Based on what I saw in your thread, I'm excited to see you apply your skills and focus to Charlie's Avenger!

Thanks for the updates, guys!

Noah
Old 08-12-2012, 12:01 PM
peter w h

Hey guys,

Well I guess it's Velcro and foam.

Noah, the Evo's  are for the Ziroli DC3, only small radial that will fit the cowling and  I will still  have to split it to get an extra 5/8" on the diameter.
I figure 2x7 cylinders with a Twin Sync set up should sound not too shabby.
I'll check with Tom.

I have to get my but in gear, Toledo is my goal for the Avenger.

Thanks guys,

Peter

Old 08-12-2012, 01:44 PM
redtail

Thanks Noah. Pete, Toledo should be your goal. Wouldn't that be kool for Charlies' Avenger to take Best of Show - Twice. Well awwww right. Again, Noah is right. That Fleet is looking good. Chic
Old 08-12-2012, 05:07 PM
butlern

Peter, yeah I just re-read your post... 35cc would not pull the Avenger. I just saw Evo radial in your post and my mind went straight to 7-77. Even the 7-77 might be marginal, but that's not based on any personal experience.

The Z-DC-3 with 14 cylinders popping would be incredible! Hope to see a thread or pictures some day (and video/audio of twin 7 cylinder radials).

Those will be thirsy beasts! What do you estimate... like $30 CAD/flight?!?!? Perhaps the scale fidelity and the "cool-factor" off-set that consideration (it would for me, at least!).

How far along are you on that project?

Noah
Old 08-12-2012, 05:56 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: redtail

OK Guys, I can not tell a lie. I live tooooo close to Mount Vernon, GW's house (cherry tree). Any hoooooo, I had built the wing panels for the DAWG and had painted the fuse when of all people, Charlie sent me an email basically telling me to check the washout of the wing panels because without it, the DAWG flies terrible. Of course I followed Charlie's lead and guess what I found - at the root it measured 0 degrees, at the tip, it measured 0 degrees. Right, I did not build in the 1.5 degrees of washout. Thanks to Charlie, I got a wing short kit (ribs) and began to rebuild the wing panels. Check the last entry under the 25% Cessna Bird Dog Build here on RCU. Thanks to Charlie, I'll have a better flying DAWG. So that backs me up several weeks but Noah, I'm still working on the DAWG and glancing over to admire the Avenger. You'll hear me holler all the way out West when again, I start back working on the Avenger. Nats 2013 I still hope to attend. Chic
Chic,

Which L-19 are you building? I must have overlooked it in the thread.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:11 AM
redtail

Hey there Warbirdracer, I'm building Roy's (Vallicourt) qtr. scale L-19. It is listed under RC WARBIRDS, page 3 (at the moment), titled: 25% Cessna L-19/O-1 Bird Dog Build. A fellow named Ken Hodges started the thread then we teamed up to continue the build. I almost finished mine but as you see, a major screw up by me. Ken did not finish his but I will certainly finish me so that I can get back to the Avenger build. Chic
Old 08-13-2012, 02:42 AM
peter w h

Noah,
Plan is to finish Avenger then start into DC3.   $30.00/ flight, ouch !! 
Have to start my own distillery  for the alcohol. 

Redtail, 
Not sure about "best of show" that is a tall order beyond my skill level, just want to make it there so I can say to myself I did it.

Fleet,
Pot Hole Jolt,    I think they are speed metal band out of Jersey. Ha Ha.

Peter. 
Old 08-14-2012, 10:08 AM
gibb
My Feedback: (7)

Well, Slowly getting there...have more detail painting to do and clearcoat. Maybe I can finally get this done.

Name:	Yv66175.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1791929  
Old 08-14-2012, 11:41 AM
butlern

Jim!

Welcome back!

Looking good, man. Can't wait to see some more!

Noah
Old 08-14-2012, 04:00 PM
lkahn4

Jim,
Nice job, kind of looks like our paint scheme, can't wait to see it totally painted...

Larry
Old 08-16-2012, 08:21 PM
gibb

Getting closer...need weathering and clearcoat

Jim

Name:	Ge96776.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1792729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65745.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1792730  
Old 08-17-2012, 02:35 AM
butlern

Jim,

Can you provide some details regarding the type of paint and clearcoat and how you are applying those materials (make/model of detail gun or airbrush)?

Looks REALLY good!

Noah
Old 08-17-2012, 05:57 AM
gibb

Noah,
I am in no way, a painting expert. In fact, I goof up all of the time. So, take this with a grain of salt.

I have tried many types of paint through the years from Hobby poxy, Rustoleum, Plastic model paints, Auto paints, etc. I never had alot of success, but always liked the two part catalyzed auto paints for thier durability. I generally prefer using auto enamel or polyurethane paints since the pigment is usually pretty high and they flow pretty well. However, they are generally not too cheap.And, if you have a relatively large surface area, it never hurts to gent a qt of paint to work from and then you have some "spare paint for repairs.

Over the last few planes that I have painted (Beech Bonanza (3), BVM F16(2), and now the avenger, I have used testors model master and then clear coated with a poly 2 part catalyzed.The model master enamels are not too durable, so take care before clearcoat. I buy a number of little 1/2 oz bottles and mix them together and then thin 1-1 with the thinner. BTW, I have a lot of spare paint if anyone needs dark sea blue and intermediate blue.

So, from start to finish
PPG or equivalent High build two part primer (PPG K36 or equivalent) ...yes, HIGH BUILD. This stuff is awesome. I usually brush on some to fill some of the remaining glass weave, but spraying is always better. You need a fairly large tip, but I think you just thin it a little more and dont over spray the build. Work slowly.
No need for sealer or anything else. Heck, its a model.
Auto base coat paint or model master enamel.
PPG 2 part enamel or poly U clear coat lightly sprayed on I use 2021 and 2060 PPG (overkill).

I have several paint guns...all are pretty crummy. I generally use a large volume HVLP gun for primer. Then I use a small detail gun and my airbrush with several tips for the paint. Then the detail gun for the clear. You can get pretty cheap ones at all of the local stored (lowes, Home depot, etc..) just play with the air pressure and mix to fint the right spray for your liking. Again, I am no expert. My airbrush is a single action paasche. Again, nothing special. I prefer to flow less paint and build up the coats.

The avenger is not a high quality paint job. I just eyeballed the paint lines. Masked with 3M fine line take (blue), (use the green 3M for masking), then went over the lines with the airbrush to soften them a bit. Paint drops dont scale down a whole lot.

Again, I really don't feel too good about my work sometimes. And I make alot of mistakes that have to be redone.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:39 AM
ESSAR

Looks like your doing a pretty nice job to me, very nice looking model!
Essar.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:08 PM
lkahn4

Jim,
What a really nice paint job, kudos to you.
Okay guys, here is the update on our build. We finally got to balance the beast last night and I guess we really built heavy because it's taking 4+ lbs of nose weight to balance. We weighed the plane and it looks like it is coming in around 48 lbs, glad we got the DA85 to get it up in the air.
We are going to try and get all the wiring squared away next week, and then rebalance and make sure we have it right, we didn't think that we would need that much nose weight, boy were we shocked.
I will try and post the full video of the p-38 flight tonight.
Noah, did u ever get an email address?

Happy flying
Old 08-17-2012, 04:02 PM
lkahn4

Hey guys,
Here is the link to warbirds over Hecksher that has the maiden flight and crash of the P-38. Wings almost ready for paint and flap servo bays cut ready for installation of servos

http://youtu.be/g3APwrzzvLc

Enjoy the video

Larry
Old 08-18-2012, 08:00 AM
butlern

Larry, didn't look too bad, luckily. Good luck with the next flights... keep that airspeed up!!

Jim, thanks for all the details. I think you did a great job, and I'm looking forward to seeing it assembled and successfully test-flown!

Noah
Old 08-18-2012, 12:10 PM
gibb

I am excited to finally join all of you. I think I was the first or second to receive plans from Charlie. It seems like suo long ago that nI started this.
This is after clearcoat. Time to install everything.

Name:	Db84185.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	1793069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19352.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	1793070  
Old 08-18-2012, 01:08 PM
lkahn4

Jim,
Beautiful job, paint and build. Lot's of luck with the maiden flight. Can you let me know how much weight u needed to add to balance when you get to that point.

Thanks
Larry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.