Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

F6F - Ziroli vs. Don Smith

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

F6F - Ziroli vs. Don Smith

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 06:04 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F6F - Ziroli vs. Don Smith

I'm interested in building a Hellcat and am wondering which plans are better (Ziroli or Don Smith). I prefer the size of the Don Smith (1/6 scale) vs Ziroli (1/5.33) since it saves 10 inches on the wing span. But if the Ziroli plan builds much better, then I'd rather go with it.

Any input would be appreciated.

Kerry
Old 05-29-2003, 06:23 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hellcat

Kerry,

I recently built the Ziroli Hellcat and found it very easy to follow and build from the plans. This was my first Ziroli experience and would not hesitate to do another. I can send you pics if you like or answer any questions you may have. There are a couple pics in my gallery of it as well as some construction pics on my website.

I don't have any experience building from the Don Smith Plans.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:22 PM
Tempest-RCU
My Feedback: (98)

Hi Kerry!

I am building a Don Smith Hellcat now. His plans build into a very nice aircraft, but the build experience is a bit different then a Ziroli.

Don includes virtually no details on his plans regarding how to construct the airframe. He gives some hints but you are basically left to your own experience. Don assumes you know what you are doing. Nick is a little more forgiving in that his plans show engine, radio and hinge installation details.

Don's fuselage construction consist of building one half, turning it over and building the other half. If you are not careful this can lead to a warped fuselage. While I have not built a Ziroli, I understand he leverages a crutch method where the formers fit over the crutch and the fuselage is built as a whole.

Don't get me wrong, I am having a great time building the Don Smith Hellcat, but you have to be prepared to really think through the construction and to essentially be on you own. I would definately build from his plans again, but it all depends on what you are looking for.

If you are an experienced builder and you enjoy a challenge, then go with Don's Hellcat. If you are not experienced with building large scale warbirds, and you would like a more straight forward build, then I would go with the Ziroli.

I hope this helps...

Paul
Old 05-29-2003, 08:13 PM
kerrydel

Originally posted by Tempest

I hope this helps...

Paul

Yes! Thanks. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Guess I'll have to think about what I want to do now. I know that an 85" WS is not a small plane, but I was hoping to keep my planes down around 80".

Thanks

Kerry
Old 05-29-2003, 08:46 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't forget that Bob Holman has an 80 inch glass and foam hellcat available also.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:16 PM
Walt03

Jerry Bates has an 80" Hellcat that I am considering after building his Bearcat. His plans are very good, I have the Bearcat plans. There is a very good thread on an ongoing Bates Bearcat project with lots of photos that will give you a very good idea of Jerry's construction methods. Just a search for Bates Bearcat.

I am currently building a T-6 from Brian Taylor plans and am extremely impressed with Brian's attention to detail. Bob Holman carries Brian's plans and glase fuse for his Hellcat.

I'm sure you'll have a great plane with any of the plans you are considering.

Walt
Old 05-30-2003, 10:16 AM
Tempest-RCU
My Feedback: (98)

That's right. I completely forgot about the Bates Hellcat.

Those plans are CAD drawn and very well done. They are very much like a set of Top Flite plans in terms of the details and information provided.

Kirk (username k_sonn) is building one of these now. He can probably give you some very specific information.

I think the Bates design may be your answer.

Paul
Old 05-30-2003, 12:39 PM
M Gill

I produce a kit for Ziroli's Hellcat and not (yet) for Smith's or Bates. But I am familiar with all three of these planes. Tempest is absolutely correct! Smith's is a fine design but not for the beginner. Many experienced builders prefer Don's "hands off" approach so that they can make their own decisions about where to put what. Also, everything is "clam shelled". Some will say that this can lead to a warped fuselage, but it also insures both halves are perfectly true to each other.

Ziroli's is much more detailed plan. His central crutch system is perfect for a good solid fuselage, but some might argue that one piece formers are not as accurate as "clam shell".

As you can see, a lot depends on the kit and the builder.

As for Bates, he is a very underrated designer. He really strives for scale. As for his designs, he tends to use "beefy-er" wood choices for structure.

Mace Gill
The Aeroplane Works
http://www.theaeroplaneworks.com
Old 05-30-2003, 03:13 PM
jlovitt
My Feedback: (41)

Having built a KI 61 from Don's plan, I did the following: I borrowed from what I liked from Ziroli and used the crutch method, but I cut my formers utilizing the clamshell method. Since the formers are drawn on the sheets in vertical halves, I just sandwiched two pieces together and cut and sanded the two halves simultanteously, then glued them together. Now I have formers that are exactly mirror images of each other. Then, I built a fixture that sits on my work bench with vertical members of consistent height, spaced according to the fuselage plan. I tack glue the formers to the vertical fixture members and once everthing is where it should be, you start adding stringers and sheeting to the entire top of the fuselage ala Ziroli.

I thought that this offered the best of both words and seemed a lot easier than building the two halves and trying to match them up.

Jeff Lovitt
Old 05-30-2003, 04:33 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Kerry:

I am building the Jerry Bates Hellcat. I have not worked on it for a couple of months. I took on building two Mustangs for customers and decided to put the Hellcat build on hold until I finish them. I will be getting back to the Hellcat in about a month. I have a build thread in the User Products Review forum (that is where build threads are supposed to be posted but it seems there are a lot of different build threads going on in this forum so I will be moving the thread here when I get started again). In the mean time, if you want to see what I have done, go to www.rcuniverse.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=363671&forumid=142. The Jerry Bates plans are CAD drawn and very good. I purchased the laser cut short kit from Bob Holman for under $200. Bob Holman also sells the cowl and canopy. If you have built a couple of kits, the Jerry Bates should be no problem..
Old 05-30-2003, 07:24 PM
kerrydel

Thanks guys for all the help. I think that I'll buy a set of the Jerry Bates plans and have a look.
:spinnyeye

Kerry