Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Pica FW 190 D

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 01:20 AM
joey_snaproll
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pica FW 190 D

HI Pencon ,
great looking and flying bird,I would love to see a few pictures ,if you got them of the engine and scale exhaust togetter and no cowl. plus do you have the any drawings with measurements on it ,if one wanted to try and build a set. I have a TF FW190 D that I'm going to build one day and Love to do that to mine.I have a keleo exhuast fo my TF .60 Mustang and to have a 190 with scale exhaust beside it would be great.
does it have a full cockpit with pilot? Looks great and sounds great .

Joe
Old 05-22-2009, 01:20 AM
pjakew
My Feedback: (4)

The original owner of the plane had the Saito on top and had to carve out the top of the cowling for the head and rocker arms so I figured, why chop up the cowling any more than has already been done. It does make it easy to start for the racing and it does not look that much like an eyesore in real life. I am putting a TF kit of the same plane together and I will invert that motor for sure. For now, I am not too worried about it. I am more concerned with the backwards swastika, the guy really fouled that one up.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:30 AM
pencon

Hey Joey I don't have any drawings ,it was kind of a Macgyver as I went along sketch on a napkin etc. You can kind of see the Idea in the pics of the manifold .What I did was Use copper elbows from a plumbing store and flatten the ends out , then dremel the weld seams . The other end of the elbows are threaded with a dye , They are screwed and jb welded into a 1/4 in thick alum billet plate ,which is then riveted onto an aluminum channel which is welded shut on the ends . The hardest part was making an elbow from the front of the manifold to meet the exhaust header of the OS 91 .It fell apart a bunch of times until Ifinally worked the bugs out .In the Photos you can see a mounting tab on one side , but there was another one opposed to that one and they bolt onto the firewall with rubber well-nut plugs .I had the assembly out to fix the broken mount as well as the broken connecting elbow which you don't see (broke off ) The whole assembly is in a plywood box built into the fuselage behind the firewall so even with the cowl off you wouldn't see it .If you decide to build something like this make sure you fuel proof with epoxy and build in adequate ventilation around the manifold .. It was a lot of work but I had too much time on my hands then . Isee you're from Kelowna , I'm a member of Mission Wings Rc club in Mission BC and I believe we're having a scale flyin In August sometime . You can check it out there if you make it .It does have a full cockpit as well
Old 05-22-2009, 01:52 AM
pencon

What retracts are you guys on this thread using on your FW ? Ihave the century jets which are kinda so-so in my opinion...
Old 05-23-2009, 01:54 AM
joey_snaproll
My Feedback: (32)

Thanks Pencon,
thanks sounds strait forward,what size is the chamber the pipes are mounted to L x W x H ?,and 1/2 " copper elbows I take it ?and no problems with back presure?
yea would be nice to get to some other fields ,I'll keep it in mind .I have holiday's in august maybe take a few days and visit some friends down there and might get a chance to stop in..

I have a set of the century 190 retracts,whats the weak spot,would a titainum post in the strut into the retract make it better? Or are they sloppy? what do yoiu think would make them better?

Thanks
Joe

Old 05-23-2009, 03:03 AM
pencon

The center insert is made of mild steel . even tho I JB welded the insert in it still bends like cheese unless I grease in every landing .They should make the whole strut slip into a socket .Back to the exhaust topic- To Create muffler pressure I drilled onlyone smallhole around 1/8" into the channel behind each exhaust stack after which the plate with stacks is pop riveted and jb welded into place .The channel is roughly 1"x1" and then lay out the elbows along side it to figure how much length you need .You'll figure it out. I mounted the manifold through the front of the firewall , I basically made a hole about twice the size of themanifold end with some of the plywood firewall flanging out on one side to mount the unit. this also allows for cooling air to get in which then exits out around the stacks .If Iever have the cowl off again I'll try to remember to take some pics
Old 05-23-2009, 02:28 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I happen to have a set of the FW190D gear from CJ also, the struts are pretty long so there's alot of leverage on the pin, after talking to CJ about this bending issue which has been posted several times on the forums, they told me that they have a stronger pin that addresses the bending concern of the soft ones they have, since I havent built my 190D yet I haven't felt the need to order a set of the new pins.

I need to get some for another set of the CJ gear I have in my P-47 so I will post some info on them if no one gets to it.

pencon I too would love too see your set up as well on the exhausts, if you get a chance to take some photos, the OS91Surpass is my engine of choice for most of my planes, and I have been considering making a scale looking exhaust for my FW A8 I need to add weight to the nose anyway, so why not do something out of the ordinary, yours is really impressive.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:53 PM
pencon

It's actually Exhaust, not exhausts . The functional is only on one side .Ishould have made one for the other side as well because I still had to add nose weight anyway.Ithink I used 3/8 copper elbows , they just look wider when you flatten them
Old 07-18-2011, 05:46 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well an update. I finished mine last year and just swapped engines as I was not happy with the JBA 15 gasser I had. Also being mounted upright, I did not like how it effected the looks. I now have a new cowl from fiberglass specialties and a DLE 20cc gasser. It works and fits perfectly in this plane. Robart 85 degree spring down retracts and it finished at 10lb. 13 oz.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43500.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1637074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13260.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1637075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23199.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1637076  
Old 07-18-2011, 06:51 PM
pencon

Well Vertical Grimmace how do you like it? They do fly great don't they ? Under 11 pounds should fly really well .
Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 PM
vertical grimmace

It is amazing. Does exactly what I want it to. This engine makes it very fast. It just howls by. The take offs and landings are great as well. So far I am very happy with the retracts as well. I will be going back and adding some details and weathering.
The one area I do not like is the transition from the rear fuselage to the vertical fin. I was never really able to figure out how that was supposed to look. It needed some major overhauling from stock to be scale. The sheet stock fin being as thin as it is would have needed to be built up.

Otherwise, I love it. It did get a lot of compliments last weekend at the field. I was really happy with the panel line technique I tried. This project really makes me feel good about my upcoming TA 152 build.

If anyone is interested in this version of the Long nose 190, there is a great build thread here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10045236/tm.htm

I talked to the OP and he has kits available. This airplane has a 72" wing and is just slightly smaller in scale than the Pica. All laser cut and all fiberglass included. He told me the outline is very scale and 3 views would be provided.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:08 AM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its not ridiculously expensive I might be interested in one.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:37 AM
vertical grimmace

He quoted me $200. That was for all fiberglass parts, laser cut wood and plans. It seemed reasonable to me. Having talked to him on the phone, he says he will have other designs available and it sounded as if this would be a really good kit. I think the kicker is the plans. That is the most important aspect to me. I only wish it was a little bigger. The same scale as the Pica. I would like to have a 20cc DLE in it, but at 1/8th scale I think it is just too small.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:18 AM
jeffk464

I kind of like the size my OS91 FS should pull it, and I'm kind of thinking about getting away from wet power. Much bigger and electric goes way up in price.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:04 PM
vertical grimmace

If I get one, I was planning on making it electric. I just am moving away from glow completly now. If it is too small for a gasser, then it will be electric for me, other than a few instances. I do not like the destructive nature of glow.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:32 PM
jeffk464

Yup, to messy and to big of a hassle. I'm not tossing the glow engines I have, but I am done buying anymore.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:37 PM
pencon

Cmon guys , the FW190 would suck as an electric . Ok - high speed pass z-z-z-z-z-z-z no character whatso ever. So ya gotta wipe off a bit of slime , no big whoop .Never bothered me in the slightest .Nitro or gas has about a zillion times more character than electric. Especially in a warbird. I do have electrics by the way , in my smaller stuff -edfs and my nutbar 5S stryker .Jeff I have an OS 91 surpass in my FW and it weighs over 12 lbs . If you scroll back a page or so I have video of it flying . The 91 will have no probs powering your plane .
Old 07-19-2011, 05:44 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

got one of these kits the older 65" span version a yr and a hf ago thinking the DLE 20 is a nice option for a clone kit build, the fit looks pretty good for this model,a ebay canopy and some fiberglass specialties parts will get me stared.

not a real gas engine guy but I have a few glow engines sitting I wouldn't mind getting rid of for gasoline power myself.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:27 PM
vertical grimmace

I am actually disappointed the TA is not bigger. I understand about the electrics, but I really prefer gas and will not buy anymore glow engines either. I already have a huge collection.
After completing this Pica, I would not mind building another one of these.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:07 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

I am actually disappointed the TA is not bigger.
Two larger sizes are available, here.

http://www.mnbigbirds.com/Andersen%20Plans.htm
Old 07-20-2011, 10:27 AM
vertical grimmace

The 1/5th scale is next in my queue, to build. What I meant was I kinda wish this new offering would be more like 1/7th scale. Then the 20cc option would be viable. Maybe a bash of the pica design to a TA 152. My main focus next though is the big Andersen design. I need a new competition model and that is it. Anything else I build will be a distraction fom that.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:04 PM
jeffk464

My understanding is the Pica is also a .60 glow size plane.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:01 PM
vertical grimmace

Had a Skyshark D9 spinner show up today. Looks great. As soon as I can figure out how to get that cool Spiralschnauze painted on, I will post a pic. This may be the best option for a scale spinner for this plane. It looks really good. Too bad Tru turn would not make more warbird spinners. I bet they would sell a ton.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

I've always wanted one of these kits. One of the few never built but every time I find one, the price is just out of reach for this scale. I couldn't justify spending the cash like that for anything less of 1/5th scale. That's why I have more bigger birds and now no small ones.

The sky shark spinner is the best option for this scale. I've built three of the sky shark FW's and the spinners look good on this scale.

Maybe we can maiden our doras together. Should be fun. I'm working on the spinner for mine also.. Fortunately I don't have the spiral issue
Old 07-20-2011, 10:03 PM
pencon

Vertical Grimmace , I have the same spinner on mine , and I put the spiral on using liquid mask .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.