Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 05:37 AM
Scott Prossen

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

WELCOME JERRY!!!

Hooray, we have another MOKI owner and it sounds like a cool project. T28 is one of my favorites. Please keep us posted on it.
Thanks for the Prop/RPM info. That's a good combo and more info/spec's for our MOKI notebooks.

Good luck Jerry and please add what you can and when you can!

We welcome all new owners to the MOKI Brotherhood!

Round engines rule, they sure as hell sound good,

Scott
Old 05-06-2010, 11:36 AM
MarkShapiro
My Feedback: (52)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thaks for the pic, Hello82. That will be the route I take.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:03 PM
MarkShapiro
My Feedback: (52)

How are you guys installing smoke systems to the Mokies? Is it as simple as tapping a nipple into the collector ring? Where is the nipple placed if on the ring? Also, which smoke system are you guys using? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:25 PM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tapped into the ring at the topmost spot. The Sullivan Skywriter pump is what I use as it's programmable to lessen the amount of oil injected as the throttle is reduced. It's batteries are also self contained. Ask Scott P about my Moki smoke!!!! Mitch
Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Scott Prossen

Hey that smoke was so thick it grounded all flights out of the UK for two weeks!!! He he he. It was awesome.
Mitch, I just bought the same one for my Wildcat. High speed straffing run with smoke on baby...I can't wait! I miss you guys already. I'm having Top Gun withdrawl???

See you soon,
Scott
Old 05-07-2010, 03:43 AM
Jetjockgb
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A "Smoking Purring kitty Cat" sounds good to me!!!!
Just to get you in the mood Scott http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5HfU...eature=related

Cheers GB
WWW.TIGERMODELS.NET
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89425.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1432236  
Old 05-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Straightleg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello radial lovers !

Great thread! I have read it from the start and will make my contribution to "speculation and supposition" :-) (quote from Stuart Mackay)

I have been using this engine(Moki 215) for four years and here are my experiences:

Fuel: use ready mixed(2%) fuel from "Stihl". It is fuel for the the german made chain saw. After 60+ liters of burned fuel, my piston tops are all shiny and ALL my spark plugs are chocolate colored.
The engine idles at 500 and not a "glitch" from bottom to top rpm.

Choke: Dismantle the choke. Use a brass tube that point directly into the carb and give it a shot before start. My engine starts at the first flip EVERY time !

Props: If you are a scale buff you can use really big propellers. I have a three bladed 34" solo prop on my fw190 ( see my gallery). To get enough forward speed, I had to set the pitch so the engine rpm was approx 3000. Even at this rpm, the engine pulled my 22kg bird with sufficent power. Drawback: if engine stops in the air, it is a serious drag.

Cooling: it is more important to cool the ignition unit than the engine. If this unit gets to warm, the engine slowly stops-

For what it's worth.

/Straightleg

Old 05-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Hello82

I know about that thick smoke too ...came around the turn towards downwind and Mitch is blowing smoke center field...hey where's Ethel?

nice video Graham...was great to see your two birds together!

straightleg....thanks for the input...any advice for running the Fw190 fan with a Moki..I here different opinions on it and the problems with the fan for a radial set up?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Scott Prossen

ORIGINAL: Straightleg

Hello radial lovers !

Great thread! I have read it from the start and will make my contribution to ''speculation and supposition'' :-) (quote from Stuart Mackay)

I have been using this engine(Moki 215) for four years and here are my experiences:

Fuel: use ready mixed(2%) fuel from ''Stihl''. It is fuel for the the german made chain saw. After 60+ liters of burned fuel, my piston tops are all shiny and ALL my spark plugs are chocolate colored.
The engine idles at 500 and not a ''glitch'' from bottom to top rpm.

Choke: Dismantle the choke. Use a brass tube that point directly into the carb and give it a shot before start. My engine starts at the first flip EVERY time !

Props: If you are a scale buff you can use really big propellers. I have a three bladed 34'' solo prop on my fw190 ( see my gallery). To get enough forward speed, I had to set the pitch so the engine rpm was approx 3000. Even at this rpm, the engine pulled my 22kg bird with sufficent power. Drawback: if engine stops in the air, it is a serious drag.

Cooling: it is more important to cool the ignition unit than the engine. If this unit gets to warm, the engine slowly stops-

For what it's worth.

/Straightleg

Welcome Straightleg! Your information is greatly appreciated here. Do you use a pump to get the low (500) RPM so smooth?
Can you tell us what pitch you are running to get the RPM down to 3000?

Please visit often and add whenever you can.

I'll be looking for your answers,
Scott
Old 05-12-2010, 03:21 AM
Straightleg

Hello Hello82 ! :-)

I have no problem with the fan. The reason may be that we are "blessed" with not so warm air here in Norway. about pluss/minus 20 degree C. I had problem with the ignition unit,thoug,which was located directly behind the warm slip stream from one of the cylinders. When it got warm inside,the engine slowly died. I solved this by protecting it with some pieces of ply. After that, no problem

/Straightleg
Old 05-12-2010, 03:42 AM
Straightleg

ORIGINAL: Scott Prossen

ORIGINAL: Straightleg

Hello radial lovers !

Great thread! I have read it from the start and will make my contribution to ''speculation and supposition'' :-) (quote from Stuart Mackay)

Fuel: use ready mixed(2%) fuel from ''Stihl''. It is fuel for the the german made chain saw. After 60+ liters of burned fuel, my piston tops are all shiny and ALL my spark plugs are chocolate colored.
The engine idles at 500 and not a ''glitch'' from bottom to top rpm.

Props: If you are a scale buff you can use really big propellers. I have a three bladed 34'' solo prop on my fw190 ( see my gallery). To get enough forward speed, I had to set the pitch so the engine rpm was approx 3000. Even at this rpm, the engine pulled my 22kg bird with sufficent power. Drawback: if engine stops in the air, it is a serious drag.

For what it's worth.

/Straightleg

Welcome Straightleg! Your information is greatly appreciated here. Do you use a pump to get the low (500) RPM so smooth?
Can you tell us what pitch you are running to get the RPM down to 3000?

Please visit often and add whenever you can.

I'll be looking for your answers,
Scott

Hello Scott !

The main reason for this low rpm is my big prop. With an ordinary 32x18, it idles good at 6 to 700, but again, I think the good fuel is a key here.
No pump.
Regarding pitch on big props, it is hard to say on a solo. But I have a fixed pitch three blade from a german manufactorer ( he makes props after your specifications)
This is fw190 shaped (wide blades) prop 33x16. See pic. With this prop my Moki have 3000 rpm

/Straightleg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84915.gif
Views:	92
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	1434774  
Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 AM
wayne1965

ok guys
i really need advice before i spend £££££££££££££££££ anyway, ive been flying a ziroli hellcat for 2-3 years using a zenoha 62,it flys faultless and lands like a trainer never broke a prop in that time, ok so i have decide too get a moki 150 this saturday,but i want the model too be as scale as poss so this will mean a prop from solo, now apart from risking a ground strikeis there any reason a moki 15 will not perform well with a 28" 3 blade solo prop? thanks for your time.
regards and happy landings
Old 05-12-2010, 10:46 AM
wingspar
My Feedback: (3)

Straightleg, where did you get that prop and much did it cost???

My 113" Fw-190 would love it.

Dave N
Old 05-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Straightleg

ORIGINAL: wingspar

Straightleg, where did you get that prop and much did it cost???

My 113'' Fw-190 would love it.

Dave N
Hello Dave !

Here is the adress : www.seidel-props.de
e-mail: [email protected]

It is in german, but you can write or call him in english. He has three different prices: 60, 90 and 100% finished props. The prop on the picture is 60% ready and requires only a minimum of sanding before surface treatment. 100% ready are sanded,painted and balanced. He has a pricelist in german, under "Preisliste"
He makes any shape,pitch or dia. you want.

I can give you an example with my 33x16 three blade:

60% 200 EURO
90% 300 EURO
100% 333 EURO

+ shipping approx. 50 $ ( same price with more props)

To get $ multiply with 1.3

The best is to contact him directly

/Straightleg

Old 05-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Straightleg

ORIGINAL: wayne1965

ok guys
i really need advice before i spend £££££££££££££££££ anyway, ive been flying a ziroli hellcat for 2-3 years using a zenoha 62,it flys faultless and lands like a trainer never broke a prop in that time, ok so i have decide too get a moki 150 this saturday,but i want the model too be as scale as poss so this will mean a prop from solo, now apart from risking a ground strikeis there any reason a moki 15 will not perform well with a 28'' 3 blade solo prop? thanks for your time.
Hello Wayne1965 !

I do not know the 150, but with my experience on the 215, it should not be any problem, as long as you set the pitch right and accepts the power loss with a three blade and lower rpm.

/Straightleg
Old 05-12-2010, 03:06 PM
wayne1965

thanks for that straight leg
im a little new too this field of modeling i.e. radials and i just need as much help as i can get as i cant afford too balls it up with the money involved so any advice is more than welcome .
Old 05-12-2010, 05:47 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If anyone is interested in selling their good running Moki 215 please pm me, thank you.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:42 PM
jeff naul
My Feedback: (16)

wayne 1965, we had my radial in my buddies Hellcat when the engine was new. We used the hellcat while I built my Meister. Your not going to have any ground clearance with a 28". The 26/16 was pushing it with clearance.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:18 AM
wayne1965

hi jeff
thanks for that ,ill go with the 26" solo then by all accounts they are so good looking props and i think with the moki 150 im going too get just about as scale as they come thanks again.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:16 PM
jeff naul

Well my Ba-ba-ba-bah-bahs are back. The whole flight including take off the engine hard misses. started over fresh, new fuel, re-tuned the engine. no help. changed the crank sensor because that has been the problem in the past, no luck. just to rule out heat on the ignition module i flew another flight with no cowl, no change. since top gun i cant get the "bump" with the choke on while walking the prop through. so we tried a 6.6 a-123(per mitch's advice). the bump came back! i was all exited, started the motor and and after the first run up all the missing came back. so i'm about to go into the coils hoping its a ground issue.[:@] why cant this thing give me just one day with no maitenence? At top gun I cleaned vaves after every flight while the other Moki owners sat around and enjoyed themselves. It sticks a valve on every third flight, well I flew it two flights last weekend and pulled it out of the trailer this weekend, guess what? stuck valve! the third flight would of been the charm as always. But it finally stuck a different valve this time. According to the people who sell these things it's me always doing something wrong. Wrong oil, too much oil, too rich, wrong battery, re-set the valves untill you wear out the threads and yada-yada-yada. They keep saying its you untill you fight it right out of warranty!
done with my rant, any ideas?
Old 05-16-2010, 10:30 PM
77chickenhawk

what kind of pitch are you thinking you going to need to put in the prop to bring the RPM's down to the 4500 to 5500 range? with the 26 diameter and 150 cc's... im thinking its going to need 16 pitch, 14 for sure anyways possibly higher..... this is of course based only on my personal history with my 100cc er and a 24 inch diameter prop i was at 12 pitch at 6800 rpm's and the manufature said i should ajust it to 14 and check again 6200 is my target rpm for that engine (static) aerotech says the scale diameter for your plane is 29.5 inch diameter. could you go bigger diameter? I bet the engine will use it... tourqe monster....
Old 05-17-2010, 06:34 AM
Scott Prossen

Wayne will need that 26" 3 blade SOLO PROP to be at about 14 - 15 pitch to be in the 5000 to 5400 rpm range. The 26 x 16 2 blade runs at 5300 to 5400 so it would be reasonable to expect 5000 to 5300 with the SOLO 3 blade at 14 -15 pitch. Let us know how you make out and what rpm's you do get. Would be good info for the rest of us! Good luck Wayne. A picture or two would be nice as well[sm=wink_smile.gif][sm=72_72.gif][sm=49_49.gif]

Jeff,
Have you tried a high impedence 4.8v battery like, say a 4200MA NiMh? What battery were you running at Top Gun? No pin holes on the gas or pump lines? Wild guesses only Jeff. Sorry you've had so much trouble with that engine. I ask around and haven't heard of anyone else out there with your kind of continual problems. Does "Murphy" live with you? Maybe we should introduce the "Lemon Law" to TBM???

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress,

Scott
Old 05-17-2010, 03:36 PM
jeff naul

scott i have a 4.8 4200 nimh. After it quit doing the "bump" with the choke on i started thinking about the fire being weak. Mitch had a weak fire problem and went to the higher voltage. that seems to be the case here, but why all of a sudden??? All that did was patch a bigger problem, maybe the module getting weak? Can my battery have a bad cell causing weak fire? although it load checks at well over 5 volts? can I have a weak fire problem thats causing bad combustion which in turn is causing my valve sticking problem? Too many what if's jeff

Just talked with mike at tbm, i'm gonna look into the coils, but as far as warranty it sounds like too bad so sad.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:07 PM
goneflyin2002

Hi Jeff,
Have you pulled all the plugs to see how the burn is going?
I had a bit of an issue that was confusing on my 150 before TopGun. Ran like a watch with the Xoar 26-16 2 blade, but when i put on the 25-16 3 blade, it was enough of an increased load that the engine developed a miss that couldn't be tuned out. It was cyl #3. Seems it's a bit of a weak cylinder, that runs perfectly fine on the 2 blade, but not reliably with an increased load.. really seemed like a weak spark. That cylinder was much cooler than all the others. Ran the engine briefly with that plug wire removed from the cylinder and with a spare plug, couldn't see any missing spark, but I know that's not a reliable test.
Put the 26-16 back on and again runs like a watch.
Perhaps needs a few more hours of break in to really know the characteristics under differing loads.
Don
Old 05-17-2010, 09:05 PM
77chickenhawk

goneflyin2002 ;;regaurding your problem. could i ask what octane fuel your running?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.