Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:11 PM
jeff naul
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

what knid of rpm are you getting with 26-16?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:27 AM
goneflyin2002

Jeff, 77,

Last time I tached it, I was getting 5500-5580 with the 26-16 and am burning 92-94 octane fuel.

Don
Old 05-18-2010, 08:49 AM
77chickenhawk

next time you want to try and fly with your 3 blade prop. try sonoco 110 leaded fuel. i have a good feeling you will not get the missing in the engine. just a thought

pump gas is junk for aircraft
Old 05-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Straightleg

ORIGINAL: 77chickenhawk

next time you want to try and fly with your 3 blade prop. try sonoco 110 leaded fuel. i have a good feeling you will not get the missing in the engine. just a thought

pump gas is junk for aircraft
Hello all missfires !

I do not understand why you dont listen to my advice and use "Stihl" ready mixed environmental gas, made for the german chain saw of the same name. Those who use it here in Norway, fly all the time whitout ANY missfire. There are three things that make this engine goes bad. That is bad fuel,spark plugs and too low amp on the battery. Forget about coils.

/Straightleg
Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 AM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Straightleg,

What type of Stihl oil are you using? I have long been using Stihl HP Ultra at 2% with excellent results (in my single 2-cycle gas engines).

**appears in the white containers at the bottom of this page**

http://www.stihlusa.com/lubricants/t...oil.html#ultra

You are using the same?

Noah
Old 05-18-2010, 11:42 AM
butlern

I should add (Scott P.) that I also have some of the Amsoil Sabre Pro at the ready.

I'm still just collecting information before I get on with the first run-ins.

Noah
Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Straightleg

Hello Noah !

I use the ready mixed factory fuel from Stihl called "MotoMix"(50:1). I suppose it contains Stihl superior oil. Pump gas contains a lot of "crap" that are left inside the engine.
The Motomix is a cleaned gas that leave the engine shiny inside. It smells good too !! When it comes to 2-cycle engines, I do not have that much experience, but the shop here that repairs chain saw engine, tells me that they can see at once if the engine is runned with high quality Stihl fuel or homemixed pump gas fuel.

regards

Straightleg
Old 05-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Scott Prossen

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Noah,

Can't wait to hear how much you like the new toy once you've run it up a bit. I know you'll want to get out to the field and do the maiden right away. Don't run the engine on the ground for much. My 250/Wildcat was run only once at home to get the throttle set properly and then off to the field for the maiden. I ran two high speed taxi tests and that was it. Airborne and wheels up right after that! The MOKI want lots of air over it. You can only get in the air. Good luck buddy...you're gonna love it!

As far as the AMSOIL goes. I preach what works for me. Have had no problems with the gas or product and I just use Reg. Unleaded gas and Amsoil SABER PRO mixed 50:1. Has been rock solid for me. My knowledge of petroleum and oils is very limited and that's why I simply state it works well for me and several other guys I know. I chose to use it because of a couple guys with extensive knowledge of the products and small engines convinced me to do so. And as such... no problems.

Let me know how it all works out,

Scott
Old 05-18-2010, 02:00 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Scott. Could you tell me if the Stab on the Wildcat comes off and if so does it do so easily. I like the WC but I fear that it's a tad to large for me to move about in my townhouse.

Thank you
Old 05-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Scott Prossen

Hey BobH,

Sure does. One screw each side and slips off like a wing. One minute per side and you're all done! You'll love it. Anything else please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Scott
Old 05-18-2010, 02:24 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Scott thank you. I'm debating the WC or the CompArf Corsair. Geotz from vogeslang told me to check with you..
Old 05-18-2010, 03:40 PM
butlern

Hi, Scott.

I understand where you're coming from, re: Amsoil Saber Pro. It's likely the route that I'll go since you guys in FL have all had positive experiences with this mixture.

My model is very nearly finished, but not quite. I still need to apply some dry-transfers and a few paint stencils before I can clear-coat the model, so I’m about 1-2 weeks away. The last thing I want to do is run the engine and sling oil all over the finish before I get it clear-coated!

Will post a report soon.

Regards,

Noah
Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Scott Prossen

150cc NIB up for sale on RCU!!! Check it out guys. My buddy Pete is going turbine and lost interest in the Radials[sm=cry_smile.gif]. His loss could be your gain. I personally know this guy and the engine. Maybe six months old and never been run. Only out of the box for measurements and comes with a tool kit too !! TBM has the sale records so the warranty will be good as well.

These are great engines and this is an opportunity for someone to save some serious bucks (maybe $400 or $500). That would be a steal for this one.

See ad here on RCU: http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=635300

Good luck on the "other" side Peter Miller!

Scott
Old 05-19-2010, 01:13 AM
jeff naul

Well I had a bad night. Decidided to start from ground up and go through my engine. Something in the past hit the hall sensor and now the same miss has returned. so I want to start at the cam and look to see what is going on. So the tear down begins, all was well until I got to the cam for the pulse generator. They peen each side of the set screw to ensure it doesnt back out, well they got a little too happy with the hammer and it ovaled the set screw. After my severe case of the red ass I punched a hole in my door and my buddy had to make me leave for a minute. During this time I mix a drink and settled in to watching some Frasier and Mike walks in with the crankshaft in hand. Well he didn't mark the crank before he pulled it from the cam. So my question is, Have any of you guys ever timed one of these? This is supposed to be fun![:@] thanks, Jeff
Old 05-19-2010, 01:58 AM
mick15

Jeff, no problem I’ll describe the 215 assuming the 150 and 250 to be the same.

This all applies to the # 1 cylinder, Number one piston has to be at exactly TDC there are a number of ways to achieve this:-

One way is to set the crank 12_15degrees of where you think TDC is, mark the prop driver and the camring cover. With a vernier gauge measure the distance from the spark plug seat to the piston crown, now rotate the crank over TDC until the piston crown is the same depth as the first measurement, mark the prop driver, now the mid distance between these two marks is exactly TDC.

The camring is now fitted with the dimple on the camring gear lined up with the 4mm bolt hole beneath the #1 cylinder, I am referring to the bolt hole for the camring cover.

To get it right you need to fit the planet gears in the following way:- Rotate each planet gear in a clockwise direction until they drop into mesh (you can do this a couple of times to check) this ensures that both gears are driving the camring the same.

As previously stated I use oil in my engines as I’m not keen on grease in a gearbox, up to you.

Hth m
Old 05-19-2010, 09:50 AM
jeff naul

Mick, do you guys consider the top cylinder to be number one or the cylinder that has the big rod that all the other rods connect to? thx, jeff
Old 05-19-2010, 10:36 AM
mick15

The Master rod is #1 and should be at the top.

m
Old 05-19-2010, 12:50 PM
jeff naul

either i numbered wrong or i am just remembering wrong. i'll look in a bit. thanks, jeff
Old 05-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Scott Prossen

Jeff,

If you get a chance a few pictures would be much appreciated. A bunch of us non-mechanical guys would love to see what the inside looks like. Only if you have time and are in a good mood though[sm=bananahead.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=48_48.gif]. Don't want you punching out another door or pitching the camera...not on my account!

Looking forward to seeing you at Macs next month[sm=teeth_smile.gif][sm=75_75.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]

Scott
Old 05-19-2010, 03:29 PM
mogman

I've just taken delivery of my 400. Am I correct in assuming that #1 has the Moki badge? Are there any serial #'s? I would like to "green card" the engine serial # for the times I will cross the border to fly in the US. ( to avoid any hassles with customs)

Cheers, Dave.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:30 PM
mogman

Found the ser.#. Helps when you wear your glasses
Old 05-19-2010, 11:05 PM
jeff naul

Mick, I t.d.c. the number one cylinder. I pulled the head so I could eyeball it. next i marked the dimple on the face of the cam ring and aligned it with the bottom bolt in the center of the cylinder. Next i put in the planetary gears, they dropped right in with no movement of the cam necessary. obviously something is wrong because the pushrods arent going in without alot of adjustment. None of that should have changed. the number two cylinder gave the same result. The Intake valves are open at tdc. i knew when I put in the cam that it didnt look right because the lobes are begining to push the lifter at t.d.c.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53608.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1439110  
Old 05-19-2010, 11:16 PM
jeff naul

something else i ran across. i had one push rod .020 shorter than the average length rod. thats a power loss unless they intend on that one to be on a specific cylinder for a certain reason. will have to call and find out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92078.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1439111  
Old 05-20-2010, 02:02 AM
mick15

Hi Jeff, correct me if I’m wrong but that is a 150? I did say at the beginning of my post my info is regarding the 215 and assume the 150 and 250 to be the same.

There is another way to time a four stroke and that is to set #1 piston at TDC then insert the lifters and rotate the camring until the lifters are “rocking” meaning one is going up and other is going down, when they are at exactly the same height fit the planet gears as previously instructed.

The length of the pushrods is unimportant these discrepancies can be adjusted out.

Have fun m
Old 05-20-2010, 09:25 AM
jeff naul

Mick it is a 150. I will call and see what troy built says. thanks, I'll post what they say. Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.