Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Pica 1/5 P-40 Gear Doors

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Pica 1/5 P-40 Gear Doors

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pica 1/5 P-40 Gear Doors

I am pondering as to how the heck I'm going to make my gear doors work. The doors are actually in two parts. The long outside door and the short inner door. The front inner door seems to be the most difficult to figure out. I'm thinking some type of spring actuated gizmo. I could make a round collar around the gear leg and attach it to the inner door somehow. Any ideas?
Old 10-11-2009, 09:49 PM
makmov
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pica 1/5 P-40 Gear Doors

they end up being so tiny it's hardly worth the effort. Ihave thought about this for my TF p-40 and really have not good answer.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:31 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pica 1/5 P-40 Gear Doors

many guys use the ball joints from the car steering connections . First you add great internal hindges , then you add a small lip on the front inside curve so that both doors will rest even when closed , some add a small laterall piece of plastic over so small the length of one of the gear doors so that they are also supported length wise when closed .
Ok , now you can buy plastic o rings in the car section or simply make your own out of balsa and hardened them out of Ca .
Add a ball joint by drilling a hold in the balsa or plastic o ring and screw the ball joint in and add it to your gear leg , high and inside , dont permanantly afix it until you have it perfact , you add ball joint the inside gear door , but you need to add a small wood base for the ball joint to hold , so your not drilling thru the gear door .

You take a small piece of threaded rod (it helps to have the type that is threaded the entire length ) now cut a short piece and thread the two ball links together .

Now the trickey part , it cant be two long or two short , the links will turn as you manually move the gear to close and open . Some guys cut the rod in half , add a small piece of shrink tubeing to connect the two rods together in the middle , this way there is less chance of binding I will try to find some pics of this menthod