Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 06:07 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

ORIGINAL: uncljoe

The BV 238 V1 prototype, bearing the four-letter Stammkennzeichen (factory radio code) of RO + EZ, first flew on 11 March 1944 after a first jump on 10 March 1944. Six 1,287 kW (1,750 hp) Daimler-Benz DB 603 inverted V12 piston engines were used in total, arranged in three forward-facing engine nacelles on each wing.
The sole completed BV 238 was strafed and sunk while docked on Schaal Lake in September 1944 by three P-51 Mustangs of the 361st Fighter Group. Named ''Detroit Miss'', the lead Mustang was piloted by World War II ace Lieutenant Urban ''Ben'' Drew, and another was piloted by William D. Rogers. This represented the largest single aircraft to be destroyed during the war.
Drew was told after the raid that he had destroyed a BV 222 Wiking (another large flying boat). He continued to believe this was the case until he was contacted by the BBC in 1974 for a documentary, and told that their research had determined that the aircraft he had destroyed was actually the BV 238 V1, undergoing flight tests at the seaplane base at Schaal Lake.
Production of two other prototypes was begun but neither was finished. A ΒΌ-scale model of the BV 238 was made during the plane's development for testing. Known as the FGP 227, it made a forced landing during its first flight and did not provide any data to the program.[1]
Uncljoe; you are up, Sir. Please post your question. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:25 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ernie if you don't mind ask another,I'm in a lot of pain with Kidney stones[]and its hard to stay focus......[sm=48_48.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]
Joe
Old 08-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: uncljoe

Ernie if you don't mind ask another,I'm in a lot of pain with Kidney stones[]and its hard to stay focus......[sm=48_48.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]
Joe
Not a problem, uncljoe. I hope you get to feeling better, and quickly. Thanks; Ernie P.

This may be a very easy one for the history buffs among us. Or maybe not.

Question:
What was the first use of a United States aircraft in combat operations?

Clues:
(1) Perhaps earlier than you might expect.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:00 PM
scalebirdman
My Feedback: (6)

1st aero squadron used by Pershing during the "Punitive Expedition" against the paramilitary forces of Pancho Villa 1916
Old 08-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: scalebirdman

1st aero squadron used by Pershing during the ''Punitive Expedition'' against the paramilitary forces of Pancho Villa 1916
That is an outstanding answer, scalebirdman; and exactly the answer I expected from one of our renowned history experts. (Sincere flattery) It is, of course, not the correct answer. Read the clue again. And btw; aircraft is intended to mean "heavier than air craft". No balloons allowed. Thanks; Ernie P.

This may be a very easy one for the history buffs among us. Or maybe not.

Question:

Clues:
Old 08-29-2010, 05:28 PM
da Rock

OOps you said no balloons
Old 08-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: da Rock

OOps you said no balloons
Perhaps another clue will help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question:

Clues:

(2) The reasons behind US involvement in the conflict sound very familiar to us today.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Ernie P.

Last clue for today. Thnaks; Ernie P.

Question:

Clues:

(2) The reasons behind US involvement in the conflict sound very familiar to us today.

(3) Oil interests, and the protection of US citizens and property involved, had much to do with the beginning of the conflict.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:09 PM
scalebirdman
My Feedback: (6)

about the only conflicts going on at the time were the banana wars....
Old 08-29-2010, 09:52 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where's that ruffian, Pancho Villa? US Army Air Corps were scouting around US- Mexican border. If that isn't the answer then a Curtiss AH3 'hyroairplane' flown by Ltns Bellinger and Saufley of the US Navy were hit by hostile ground fire during Mexican campaign.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:18 AM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: ARUP

Where's that ruffian, Pancho Villa? US Army Air Corps were scouting around US- Mexican border. If that isn't the answer then a Curtiss AH3 'hyroairplane' flown by Ltns Bellinger and Saufley of the US Navy were hit by hostile ground fire during Mexican campaign.
You're close enough, ARUP. Pancho Villa really had nothing to do with this incident. The actual answer I wanted was "During the US occupation of Veracruz, Mexico on 25 April, 1914". But since you have the pilots names, I'll give you the nod. The history books always talk about Pershing and Villa and the use of aircraft for scouting along the border. They tend to forget about the Navy's use of a Curtiss AB-3 during the Veracruz operation; launched from the USS Birmingham.

But, you're up! We await your question. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question:
Clues:
(3) Oil interests, and the protection of US citizens and property involved, had much to do with the beginning of the conflict.
(4) It involved a US arms manufacturer attempting to circumvent an arms embargo.
(5) German firms were involved.
(6) Illegal immigration was a factor.

AB-3, became the first US heavier-than-air aircraft to see military action when launched from USS Birmingham on 25 April 1914 on a scouting mission over Veracruz during the United States Occupation of Veracruz.

The United States occupation of Veracruz, which began with the Battle of Veracruz, lasted for six months in response to the Tampico Affair of April 9, 1914. The incident came in the midst of poor diplomatic relations between Mexico and the United States, related to the ongoing Mexican Revolution.

The Tampico Affair started off as a minor incident involving U.S. sailors and Mexican land forces loyal to General Victoriano Huerta during the guerra de las facciones phase of the Mexican Revolution. The misunderstanding occurred on April 9, 1914, but would fully transpire into the breakdown of diplomatic relations between the two countries, and the occupation of the port city of Veracruz for over six months.
In midst of the Mexican Revolution, de facto head of state Victoriano Huerta struggled to hold his power and territory intact from the challenges of Emiliano Zapata in the south and the fast advance of the opposition Constitutionalists of Venustiano Carranza in the north. By March 26, 1914, Carranza's forces were ten miles (15 km) from the prosperous oil town of Tampico, Tamaulipas. There was a considerable concentration of U.S. citizens in the area due to the immense investment of American firms in the local oil industry. Several American warships commanded by Rear Admiral Henry T. Mayo settled in the area with the expectation of protecting American citizens and property.

In response to the Tampico Affair, President Woodrow Wilson ordered the U.S. Navy to prepare for the occupation of the port of Veracruz. While waiting for authorization of Congress to carry out such action, Wilson was alerted to a German delivery of weapons for Victoriano Huerta due to arrive to the port on April 21. As a result, Wilson issued an immediate order to seize the port's customs office and confiscate the weaponry. Huerta had taken over the Mexican government with the assistance of the American ambassador Henry Lane Wilson during a coup d'Γ©tat in early 1913 known as La decena trΓ‘gica. The Wilson administration's answer to this was to declare Huerta a usurper of the legitimate government, embargo arms shipments to Huerta, and support the Constitutional Army of Venustiano Carranza.

The arms shipment to Mexico, in fact, originated from the Remington Arms company in the United States. The arms and ammunition were to be shipped via Hamburg, Germany, to Mexico allowing Remington Arms a means of skirting the American arms embargo.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Can we please stop using Wikipedia cut and pastes?

No offense, but quite a few times the info, epsecially on aircraft is innacurate or is full of bias.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:17 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Evil_Merlin

No offense, but quite a few times the info, epsecially on aircraft is innacurate or is full of bias.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_Wikipedia ;

A caution before citing Wikipedia
As with any source, especially one of unknown authorship, you should be wary and independently verify the accuracy of Wikipedia information if possible. For many purposes, but particularly in academia, Wikipedia may not be an acceptable source;[1] indeed, some professors and teachers may reject Wikipedia-sourced material completely.

(I just couldn't resist.)
Old 08-30-2010, 11:52 PM
psb667

Arup question?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:48 AM
Ernie P.

With respect, I disagree. A citation is either correct or incorrect. If it is accurate, the source is of little import. If it is inaccurate, simply point out the error. The entire point of this exercise is to help educate each other; and listing background material aids the process. Could better sources be found and cited? Perhaps. But Wikipedia is easily available and convenient, and easily checked if the reader wants additional material or information.

I consulted two other sources in my above answer. Wikipedia simply gave a better and more convenient summary; so I used that. I think listing additional details adds to the process of educating each other. There may be better sources, but cutting and pasting Wikipedia, or any other source, saves a lot of typing. The alternative is to simply state the answer without attribution. How would that be better? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:52 AM
Ernie P.

Arup;

We await your question. The clock is ticking. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:22 AM
Evil_Merlin

MEh if thats the case I'm done with the thread.

Anyone can type something in Bing or Google and get an answer or question.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:49 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

MEh if thats the case I'm done with the thread.

Anyone can type something in Bing or Google and get an answer or question.

IMO that's better than letting the thread grind to a halt for a couple days while waiting for someone to come with a new question...(after he's answered one correctly )
Old 08-31-2010, 01:36 PM
ARUP

When I get home tonight I'll post a question. I gleaned my anwer from the US Air Force archives. Never used Wiki. I have a friend whose great grandfather was part of the 'air brigade' that patrolled the border. I am a big fan of WWI and 1930's aviation so this question piqued my interest.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:39 PM
SimonCraig1

There are good arguments either way. Some of the questions posed require researching for the detail.... is that cheating?

I use search engines to try and make sure my facts are correct (even then I get it wrong!) but try and come up with the question first as I think it will be more interesting than a cold search.

Anyway a new question would be good! perhaps someone who posted a close answer recently could pose one as ARUP seems to be AWOL.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:43 PM
ARUP

ORIGINAL: SimonCraig1

There are good arguments either way. Some of the questions posed require researching for the detail.... is that cheating?

I use search engines to try and make sure my facts are correct (even then I get it wrong!) but try and come up with the question first as I think it will be more interesting than a cold search.

Anyway a new question would be good! perhaps someone who posted a close answer recently could pose one as ARUP seems to be AWOL.
Nobody would know anything about anything if they hadn't first researched and learned it! Sorry for delay but I don't look at this stuff every day (24hour rule noted). I'll get question on tonight so hope everyone doesn't get the 'D-Ts' too badly while waiting!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:49 PM
ARUP

Oh I'll just do this one!

1) I was invented in Poland and applied to an Axis airplane
Old 08-31-2010, 02:22 PM
Evil_Merlin

The delta wing as envisioned by Siemienowicz and put into good use by Lippisch while at DFS in the Me 163?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:48 PM
ARUP

Another clue:
2) I was used by an American lightplane manufacurer after WWII
Old 08-31-2010, 05:29 PM
SimonCraig1

Was it the Gull Wing arrangement used to provide better visibility in the parasol designs of the Polish Air force? Also used in the Stinson Gullwing, several flying boats and of course inverted in many planes including the Stuka and Corsair?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.