Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:39 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Not a Dewoitine either but everybody is in the correct country.

What fighter aircraft?

NOTE:
There are a number of sub-types here, but they are similar enough and there's enough logic in the designations to keep them together as one aircraft type.

1) It was a development of a previous design that had been rejected
2) WW1 ended at about the same time as the first delivery was made, which reduced interest drastically
3) the manufacturer continued development, leading to improved models and both domestic and foreign military sales in 1920s
4) it used a liquid cooled 8 cylinder engine

5) it was a parasol wing design with four struts on either side
6) The engine has been called the ''Rolls-Royce Merlin of World War I'': a pretty common choice in those days.

7) it was sold to Czechoslovakia, Estonia, Finland, Kingdom of Yugoslavia and Latvia
8) the navy of the country of origin bought an unarmed version for use as advanced trainers. One of these was used for carrier trials
9) a small number were built especially for aerobatic displays
edit: photos of the aerobatic variant show a radial engine

10) I have not found definite production numbers but less than 100 seems reasonable

11) found a photo from the carrier trials

12) this French aircraft company was active between 1917 and 1934
13) one example of this type survives in a museum. and it is not in France

14) Type A had two struts each side, as opposed to four each side on the Type B
15) Type A had shown pleasing performance, but was ultimately rejected due to concerns about rigidity of the wing. Type A (the rejected model) was also too heavy
16) Type B also featured a revised fin and rudder

17) I found a photo of the latest aerobatic model, in storage in Paris. Clearly, it does not count as a surviving warbird. With the radial engine, the nose is totally different from the military sub-types

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75342.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1625854  
Old 06-21-2011, 05:26 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Gourdou-Leseurre GL.2 (originally, the Gourdou-Leseurre Type B) was a French fighter which made its maiden flight in 1918. It was a development of the Gourdou-Leseurre Type A which had shown pleasing performance during testing but which had been ultimately rejected by the Aéronautique Militaire due to concerns about the rigidity of the wing. The Type B featured not only a new wing design, now braced by four struts on either side in place of the two per side on the Type A, but also a revised fin and rudder for improved directional stability, and strengthened undercarriage. Twenty examples were delivered in November 1918, designated GL.2C.1 in service, but the end of the war meant a loss of official interest.

Gourdou-Leseurre GL-22 (8F.12) in Aviation Museum of Central Finland;

Name:	Yw66625.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1625874  
Old 06-21-2011, 05:47 AM
perttime

ORIGINAL: P-51B

The Gourdou-Leseurre GL.2 (originally, the Gourdou-Leseurre Type B)
You got it!

Wikipedia has a bit more on the sub-types and other details. Much of the other information on WWW is in French.

I have a different photo and it looks like they have been rearranging the aircraft. That is the (not so pretty) nose of a Martinsyde Buzzard next to the Gourdou-Leseurre.

One more pic: Gourdou-Leseurre GL.22 in the old days.

Your turn, P-51B.

Name:	Jh17114.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1625875  
Old 06-21-2011, 06:22 AM
P-51B

Thanks Pertime. If it wasn't for your clue #12 I never would have found it!

Keeping with the current WWI theme;

1. Originally conceived as a fighter, it was found inadequate for that role.
2. Production of the aircraft continued well after the war, with the final examples delivered in 1928.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:27 AM
DeferredDefect

I had no idea what the aircraft was, but I'm going to the Jami Airshow in Finland next month and I'll get pictures of the Gl.22 while I'm there...from what it sounds like they have a great museum!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:25 PM
perttime

ORIGINAL: GraemeEllis

I'm going to the Jami Airshow in Finland next month and I'll get pictures of the Gl.22 while I'm there...from what it sounds like they have a great museum
The museum is over 200 km from Jämi: [link=http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=J%C3%A4mintie+630,+J%C3%84MIJ%C3%84RVI&daddr=Tikkakoskentie+125,+TIKKAKOSKI&hl=fi&ie=UTF8&sll=61.784163,22.732687&sspn=0.021061,0.053902&geocode=FZmprgMd86laASmLs67OHN6IRjGHsMDkhoB5lQ%3BF Y_ytwMdp9eHASnTuNfPWaCFRjGpONU4mA4TCA&mra=ls&z=8]Shortest way[/link] or [link=http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=J%C3%A4mintie+630,+J%C3%84MIJ%C3%84RVI&daddr=61.6310947,24.1808959+to:Tikkakoskentie+125, +TIKKAKOSKI&hl=fi&ie=UTF8&sll=61.784163,22.732687&sspn=0.021061,0.053902&geocode=FZmprgMd86laASmLs67OHN6IRjGHsMDkhoB5lQ%3BF XZqrAMdn_hwASlJr8cdhhePRjHABnUgUbUAEw%3BFY_ytwMdp9 eHASnTuNfPWaCFRjGpONU4mA4TCA&mra=ls&z=8&via=1]via Tampere[/link]

They are bringing a couple of exhibits to the show but not the GL.22. It is not a huge museum but they have a few unique things there. Well worth a visit if you can.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Pertime. If it wasn't for your clue #12 I never would have found it!

2. Production of the aircraft continued well after the war, with the final examples delivered in 1928.
The Curtiss Jenny? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:02 AM
P-51B

Not the Jenny.

3. Ten variants were produced.
4. Its impressive speed, range and operational ceiling, with its top speed making it one of the fastest (if not the fastest) of all Allied combat aircraft in World War I, gave it the right properties to be an excellent reconnaissance aircraft and even light bomber.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Ernie P.

Not the Jenny.

4. Its impressive speed, range and operational ceiling, with its top speed making it one of the fastest (if not the fastest) of all Allied combat aircraft in World War I, gave it the right properties to be an excellent reconnaissance aircraft and even light bomber.

Originally conceived as a two seater fighter? As in the DH-4? Everything fits except the two seat part. The only thing with two seats that really deserved the "fighter" moniker was the Bristol Fighter, IMHO. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Ernie P.

Not the Jenny.

Wait a sec. I just remembered something. The Italians developed... yeah, here it is... and there was a two seater version. The Ansaldo SVA. There was a leaflet drop over Vienna. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Ansaldo SVA (named for Savoia-Verduzio-Ansaldo) was a family of Italian reconnaissance biplane aircraft of World War I and the decade after. Originally conceived as a fighter, the SVA was found inadequate for that role. Nevertheless, its impressive speed, range and operational ceiling, with its top speed making it one of the fastest (if not the fastest) of all Allied combat aircraft in World War I, gave it the right properties to be an excellent reconnaissance aircraft and even light bomber. Production of the aircraft continued well after the war, with the final examples delivered in 1928. Two minor variants were produced, one with reconnaissance cameras, the other without cameras but extra fuel tanks.

The SVA was a conventionally-laid out unequal-span biplane, featuring Warren Truss-style struts, and therefore having no transverse (spanwise) bracing wires. The plywood-skinned fuselage had the typical Ansaldo triangular rear cross-section behind the cockpit, transitioning to a rectangular cross section going forwards through the rear cockpit area, with a full rectangular cross section forward of the cockpit.

The famous Flight over Vienna propaganda flight, inspired by Gabriele d'Annunzio, was carried out on August 9, 1918, by the 87th Squadriglia La Serenissima from San Pelagio, consisting of an eleven plane flight of various models of Ansaldo SVA-series biplanes. At least two of the aircraft were two seater SVA 9 or 10s to accommodate d'Annunzio himself for the flight he inspired, with the remainder being SVA 5 single-seaters.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:55 AM
P-51B

You nailed it Ernie!

The flight over Vienna was to be the next clue which definately would have given it away.

You are up!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Ernie P.

You nailed it Ernie!

The flight over Vienna was to be the next clue which definately would have given it away.

You are up!!!
Thank you, Sir. I've always wondered why the SVA was a failure as a fighter. It was very fast, with a good rate of climb. I've never heard or seen any discussion of its maneuverability or roll rate, but speed and climbing ability alone make a pretty good fighter. Why wasn't it successful as a fighter? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Ernie P.

You nailed it Ernie!

You are up!!!
Thank you, Sir. This one may prove to be an easy question, or a hard one; I really don't know. It will depend on your ability to look at the big picture, to lead you to the smaller view. Thanks; Ernie P.

Produced in a dizzying array of models, to perform almost literally any function, this aircraft almost defined the term “multi-role aircraft”. And, one of those models featured an almost unique feature never seen before. To answer this question, you must provide (1) The aircraft name AND model; and (2) The unique feature I will describe. Some clues will point to the aircraft name and model, and some to the unique feature of this aircraft and model.

Question: What multi-role aircraft do I describe; and what unique innovation did it feature?

Clues:

(1) This aircraft was developed from an earlier aircraft. To the very last model, the influence of the earliest design was apparent.

(2) This aircraft performed in many different arenas; from blazing hot to freezing cold.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:18 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

C-130, and one of the first airplanes to use turboprop engines.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: a65l

C-130, and one of the first airplanes to use turboprop engines.
Good guess, but not the one I'm looking for. But maybe this will help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Produced in a dizzying array of models, to perform almost literally any function, this aircraft almost defined the term “multi-role aircraft”. And, one of those models featured an almost unique feature never seen before. To answer this question, you must provide (1) The aircraft name AND model; and (2) The unique feature I will describe. Some clues will point to the aircraft name and model, and some to the unique feature of this aircraft and model.

Question: What multi-role aircraft do I describe; and what unique innovation did it feature?

Clues:

(1) This aircraft was developed from an earlier aircraft. To the very last model, the influence of the earliest design was apparent.

(2) This aircraft performed in many different arenas; from blazing hot to freezing cold.

(3) It performed as a day fighter and a night fighter; a day bomber and a night bomber.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:31 PM
zippome

Junkers Ju88, with its annular radiators? Jerry used that aircraft for just about everything they could think of.....
It was given the nickname "Maid of all work". I have no idea what the original german translation of that is.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:38 PM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

das heisst = "Ein Madchen fur alles"
Old 06-23-2011, 11:01 PM
The Raven

P-61 Black Widow was used for bombing from memory. Definitely a day/night fighter.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Ernie P.

No correct answers thus far; although there were some good, well thought out, responses. We do keep proving there is often more than one correct answer to a question. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(3) It performed as a day fighter and a night fighter; a day bomber and a night bomber.

(4) It was used for both close in ground attack and high level bombing.

(5) It was used as a dive bomber and level bomber.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:21 AM
The Raven

DeHavilland Mosquito and its plywood construction
Old 06-24-2011, 12:46 AM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: The Raven

DeHavilland Mosquito and its plywood construction
Ohhhh.... Great, but incorrect, answer Raven. No, it wasn't the Mosquito; although it fits almost all of the clues so far. Let's change that. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(4) It was used for both close in ground attack and high level bombing.

(5) It was used as a dive bomber and level bomber.

(6) The unique feature aided this aircraft when it was used in its dive bomber role.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:44 AM
The Raven

Petlyakov Pe-2 with dive brakes?

In case you haven't noticed I'm starting to guess more.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:45 AM
DeferredDefect

Tupolev Tu-2?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:04 AM
ARUP

-109?
Old 06-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Mein Duff

F4U ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.