Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 02:29 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird pilot do I describe?

Clues:

(1) Although he was the top ace from his country, in his conflict, he still remains almost an unknown today.

(2) Quite old for a fighter pilot; perhaps particularly so in his time and place.

(3) Flew a very well known type of aircraft; one almost ubiquitous in its day.

(4) He was the first pilot to shoot down another very well known aircraft.

(5) He was shot down and killed by another ace; an Irish ace.

(6) His aircraft burst into flames and lost its wings before crashing.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:51 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(1) Although he was the top ace from his country, in his conflict, he still remains almost an unknown today.

(2) Quite old for a fighter pilot; perhaps particularly so in his time and place.

(7) The reason his name is almost unknown, despite being his country’s highest scoring ace, is pretty easy to understand, once all the facts are known.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:47 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:

(7) The reason his name is almost unknown, despite being his country’s highest scoring ace, is pretty easy to understand, once all the facts are known.

(8) The ace who shot him down was flying a SPAD.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(9) The aircraft in (3) was an Albatross.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:06 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was O'Grady the Irish pilot?
Old 06-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by MJD
Was O'Grady the Irish pilot?

No; but please try again. Here's the next clue to aid your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(10) The aircraft in (4) was an SE-5.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:36 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:

(11) His country was not a belligerent.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:45 AM
SimonCraig1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edmund Nathanael? Swiss ace shot down and killed by William John Charles Kennedy-Cochran-Patrick.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by SimonCraig1
Edmund Nathanael? Swiss ace shot down and killed by William John Charles Kennedy-Cochran-Patrick.

Ding, ding, ding!!! Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner. Although Switzerland was not a combatant, Nathanael served with the German Air Force and scored 15 victories. The top Swiss ace, he is almost unknown today. You're up, SimonCraig1. Please post your question. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(11) His country was not a belligerent.

Answer: WWI Swiss Ace Edmund Nathanael

Born 18 December, 1889 in Dielsdorf
Flew with FFA 42, Jasta 5 and 22
15 victories
Killed in action 11 May, 1917 near Bourlon Wood
After serving with FFA 42, Nathanael was assigned to Jasta 22 in late 1916. In March 1917, he was reassigned to Jasta 5. Scoring his 14th victory on 30 April 1917, he was the first pilot to shoot down an S.E.5. Five days after scoring his 15th victory, Nathanael was killed in action during a fight with the SPADs of 23 Squadron. Shot down by Irish ace William Kennedy-Cochran-Patrick, Nathanael's Albatros burst into flames and lost its wings before it crashed.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:22 PM
SimonCraig1

Thanks Ernie, it's getting tough to find new things or people to ask about... hopefully this one has not appeared before.

I'm looking for a pilot:

1. A highly successful ace he is credited with victories over three other aces, each with a higher score than him.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:49 AM
SimonCraig1

Sorry for the delay, work getting in the way....

I'm looking for a pilot:

1. A highly successful ace he is credited with victories over three other aces, each with a higher score than him.
2. He seemed to be less successful driving being involved in two serious car accidents which hospitalized him, and being fined for a third accident.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:17 PM
SimonCraig1

I'm looking for a pilot:

2. He seemed to be less successful driving being involved in two serious car accidents which hospitalized him, and being fined for a third accident.
3. His war ended when he was shot down and taken prisoner. He met one of the opponents who shot him down and the two became friends after the war.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:14 AM
SimonCraig1

I'm looking for a pilot:

3. His war ended when he was shot down and taken prisoner. He met one of the opponents who shot him down and the two became friends after the war.
4. His first 'kill' was actually achieved by his gunner after he overshot the target.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:13 PM
SimonCraig1

I'm looking for a pilot:

4. His first 'kill' was actually achieved by his gunner after he overshot the target.
5. As well as more traditional targets, he destroyed one locomotive, damaged several torpedo boats and a submarine.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Ernie P.

I'm looking for a pilot:

5. As well as more traditional targets, he destroyed one locomotive, damaged several torpedo boats and a submarine.
Yeah, this is starting to look familiar. But, I'll be good for the moment. Good question. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 AM
SimonCraig1

Cheers Ernie, if you know you will also know the more obscure clues are dying up....

I'm looking for a pilot:

6. The aircraft type he achieved his first kill in was already obsolete but pressed into this role as a stopgap. The remainder were in two other aircraft types, each a significant improvement in performance on their predecessors.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:36 AM
SimonCraig1

Sorry for the delay I couldn't access the site last night for some reason

6. The aircraft type he achieved his first kill in was already obsolete but pressed into this role as a stopgap. The remainder were in two other aircraft types, each a significant improvement in performance on their predecessors.
7. One of the aces he shot down bailed out and the pilot considered gunning him down but was persuaded not to by his crew. The 'victim' went on to a mass a further 34 kills, over 200 aircrew given the targets he was hunting. An interesting question of ethics if ever there was one....
Old 06-06-2014, 11:46 AM
SimonCraig1

Bonus clue for Friday!

I'm looking for a pilot:

7. One of the aces he shot down bailed out and the pilot considered gunning him down but was persuaded not to by his crew. The 'victim' went on to a mass a further 34 kills, over 200 aircrew given the targets he was hunting. An interesting question of ethics if ever there was one....
8. Almost all his victories including the three aces were against twin engined aircraft.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:38 AM
SimonCraig1

I'm looking for a pilot:

8. Almost all his victories including the three aces were against twin engined aircraft.
9. All his kills were in twin engined aircraft.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:06 PM
The Raven

Originally Posted by Redback
Nuclear plants are usually quiet, at least until the alarm goes off!!

Sounds like something powered by nuclear detonations rather than (hopefully) controlled fission.

Terry
You've been reading too much Larry Niven....
Old 06-09-2014, 06:58 AM
Ernie P.

I'm looking for a pilot:

Fair warning: I'm trying to be good, but... Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:27 AM
SimonCraig1

I'll post a couple of more clues today then if you want to jump in Ernie, be my guest....

I'm looking for a pilot:

10. He was the leading ace in one of these aircraft.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:00 AM
SimonCraig1

I'm looking for as pilot

1. A highly successful RAF ace he is credited with victories over three German aces, each with a higher score than him.
3. His war ended when he was shot down by FW-190s and taken prisoner. He met one of the opponents who shot him down and the two became friends after the war.
5. As well as more traditional targets, he destroyed one locomotive, damaged several E-boats and a U-boat
11. Almost all his victories were at night.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Burt Reynolds

Andy Miller?
Old 06-09-2014, 11:53 AM
SimonCraig1

Good try! this pilot had a few more victories than Miller.

I'm looking for as pilot

1. A highly successful RAF ace he is credited with victories over three German aces, each with a higher score than him.
3. His war ended when he was shot down by FW-190s over Denmark and taken prisoner. He met one of the opponents who shot him down and the two became friends after the war.
5. As well as more traditional targets, he destroyed one locomotive, damaged several E-boats and a U-boat
11. Almost all his victories were at night.
12. Although he became a Staff Officer he continued to fly ops 'borrowing' planes from local squadrons until his luck ran out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.