Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 12:59 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking for an Aircraft...
1) Single engine...
2) Monoplane...
3) It's type of construction was relatively new for it's time...and something that the Co. that built it would become well known for...
4) It's Military service was somewhat limited, but it did serve, albeit briefly, in the "Air Force".of at least two Countries...
5)This ("between the wars") versatile aircraft could be equipped with skis or floats, as well as wheeled landing gear..
6) It's style of construction was pioneered by a different company during WW1, and though not widely duplicated, was popular between the wars, and was used by several different manuf.

7) One of these aircraft was a co-star (so to speak) of a movie, one whose Human star was soon to be quite famous.

8) The company that's name is on the plane, had merged with a well known manufacturer, and the materials used would be something that the Parent Co. (if you will) would become well known for just a few years later.

Just to continue briefly...
9) The aircraft was used most often in Airlines, and Cargo duty, rather than Military
It didn't make much of an "impression" on the Army Air Corps

10) One Airline that used it claimed "fastest transcontinental service in North America"
(which meant 30 minutes across the Panama Canal Zone )

11) The movie mentioned starred one of the most imitated movie actors of all time,
and a female lead that would go on to be one of the most popular and beautiful "pin-up"
girl during WW2 ( Judy Judy Judy ) Carey Grant and Rita Hayworth in
"Only Angels Have Wings"

JohnnyS...you got it..

Hamilton metalplane H-45 and H-47 (only difference was the 47 had a more powerful engine) Hamilton merged with Boeing in 1926.
The U.S. Army Air Corps "impressed" it into service as the UC-89 in 1942, but didn't find it all that suitable, so...
And it was used in the Peruvian Air Force briefly in the early 30's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_H-47

Last edited by proptop; 03-30-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:04 PM
JohnnyS

Cool! Now I just have to figure out a new one..... I'll try to get one for tomorrow, but if anyone has a good one, please jump in. The floor is open!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:00 AM
JohnnyS

New aircraft:

1. Monoplane.
2. Single engine.
3. Only 2 prototypes and 3 pre-production aircraft were built.
4. Very lightweight: To the point where it had an unusual design.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:53 AM
herbarnold99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing the XP-77, but I don't think any pre-production aircraft were built?
Old 03-31-2015, 11:05 AM
JohnnyS

Not the XP-77, sorry.

New clue:

1. Monoplane.
2. Single engine.
5. It was designed to operate from grass airfields.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:23 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
Not the XP-77, sorry.

New clue:

1. Monoplane.
2. Single engine.
5. It was designed to operate from grass airfields.
JohnnyS; I hate to risk ruining a good question, but I can't resist these early, long shot, gut guesses. How about the Baroudeur, the lightweight French prototype fighter of the early 1950's? Thanks; Ernie P.

The SNCASE S.E.5000 Baroudeur was a French single-engined lightweight fighter designed by SNCASE (Sud-Est) for the NATO "Light Weight Strike Fighter" competition. An unusual design without a conventional landing gear, it used a wheeled trolley for take-off and three retractable skids to land. The Baroudeur did not enter production.

The Baroudeur was a lightweight fighter, designed to operate from grass airfields. It used a wheeled trolley that could be used for take off from grass, and three retractable skids, the third at the tail for landing and for take off from snow or ice-covered surfaces. The three-wheeled trolley had provision to use rockets (two or four according to terrain plus two back-up) if needed to assist. Apart from the landing gear the aircraft was a conventional shoulder-wing monoplane with a 38 degree swept wing and tail surfaces and powered by a SNECMA Atar 101C turbojet with wing-root intakes. The first of two prototypes flew on the 1 August 1953. Three pre-production aircraft designated the S.E.5003 were also built with Atar 101D turbojet engines but the type was not ordered into production.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:57 AM
JohnnyS

And Ernie P. gets it right again! Well done!

The floor is yours.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:38 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
And Ernie P. gets it right again! Well done!

The floor is yours.
Thanks, JohnnyS. I do try to hang back a bit, but sometimes I can't resist. I'll make this an easy one. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:
  1. A truly ground breaking aircraft; although one rapidly overhauled by the rapid march of technology in its era.
  2. For a while, the fastest bomber in the world.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:38 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  1. A truly ground breaking aircraft; although one rapidly overhauled by the rapid march of technology in its era.
  3. The first bomber of its type to be utilized by its service.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Ernie P.

And an evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  4. And it had one of the coolest nicknames of all time.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, the Sopwith Cuckoo had one of the coolest nicknames ever, and it was Britain's first bomber to fly from a carrier, but it was too slow for Clue No. 2, I fear.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Well, the Sopwith Cuckoo had one of the coolest nicknames ever, and it was Britain's first bomber to fly from a carrier, but it was too slow for Clue No. 2, I fear.
Sorry, Top_Gunn; but here's a bonus clue for participation. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  5. Probably the first to be called by a particular term; one used later by a very famous bomber.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:08 PM
stevegauth30

SBD Dauntless "dive bomber"
doubtfull, but a guess none the less.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
SBD Dauntless "dive bomber"
doubtfull, but a guess none the less.
Not correct, stevegauth30; but I can see your line of reasoning. Here is an extra clue to reward your attempt. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  5. Probably the first to be called by a particular term; one used later by a very famous bomber.
  6. The first all metal monoplane bomber for its service.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:28 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  7. Based on a commercial transport.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:31 AM
Ernie P.

I'll be gone for a few hours, so here's an early afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  8. Which was itself based upon a groundbreaking single engine aircraft.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:17 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gone For A while ? U Must be OLD these kids are never out of touch what with Smart phones and ipads and I watches and such ... Man we O'l timers gota get with the program. OH U say U have no Ide how to Use all the bells and wistles of the NEW Fangled 2.4 Radio U bought and all your perfectly good 72Mhz, easy to use radios (with dead batteries of course) collect dust in the basement/spare room/garage. There like that Model "T" ya can only drive in the 4th of july parade. I just converted my Beat UP "Cub on Floats From 72 Mhz "G" connectors to 2.4 cause I left the radio case sit open on the basement floor and my daughters cat Peed all over the radio. Snickers better hope I don't get her any time soon. Bet it did it with a smile too. the cat not my daughter.
OH again it time to SSS and head for the field for a chit chat Probably only the brave will be there today. calling for winds from 5 to 15 gusting to 30. Maybe I should start my Taxes. ya maybe not still got time.

ooops almost forgot to make a guess how bout the Boeing XB-15 sorry bout that folks.

Last edited by HoundDog; 04-02-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:20 AM
tunakuts3d

W.A.G. Junker's J-1 Blechesel "Tin Donkey"
Old 04-02-2015, 08:15 AM
proptop

Ernie...just my gut feeling again...if it made a bouncy landing did it go boing boing boing ... or rather Boeing?
As in the B-9 Bomber? AKA "Death Angel"

Based on the Monomail...could outrun the fighters of the day...

Last edited by proptop; 04-02-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:52 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

how about the DC-5 it was sold to the Japs and ther reveresed engineered into some of their bombers.
I see a large picture of the plane in a hotel in Jamacia New York that we layover in. Kind of odd looking with tripple rudders that Lockheed made famous.
Sparky
Old 04-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by proptop
Ernie...just my gut feeling again...if it made a bouncy landing did it go boing boing boing ... or rather Boeing?
As in the B-9 Bomber? AKA "Death Angel"

Based on the Monomail...could outrun the fighters of the day...

You got it, proptop! Man, you have been on fire lately. The "Death Angel" it is; the bomber that could outrun any fighter of its day, the first bomber to be called a "flying fortress", and the first all metal monoplane bomber in the USAAC inventory. A great plane, but an even better one followed within a couple of years; ending the serviceability of the Death Angel. Okay; you are up again, proptop. Baffle us with your question. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  8. Which was itself based upon a groundbreaking single engine aircraft.
  9. Built as a private venture.
  10. Unfortunately for its builders, only a small number were ever built.
  11. Mainly because another advanced bomber came on the market shortly afterwards.

Answer: The Boeing YB-9

From a contemporary newspaper article:

New Boeing “Death Angel” to be World’s Fastest Bomber
THE latest addition to Uncle Sam’s air forces is a veritable flying fortress-Dubbed the “Death Angel” because she is capable of attaining highest speed of any bomber and can carry a ton of explosives, four machine guns fore and aft and a crew of five men, the giant Boeing bombing plane shown above will prove one of the nation’s most fearful weapons. The plane has a wing spread of 86 feet and is powered by two 575 h.p. motors mounted in the wings.

The Boeing YB-9 was the first all-metal monoplane bomber aircraft designed for the United States Army Air Corps. The YB-9 was an enlarged alteration of Boeing's Model 200 Commercial Transport.

In May 1930, Boeing had flown its Model 200 Monomail single-engined mailplane. The Monomail was of radical design for the time, being a semi-monocoque, stressed skin cantilever monoplane with a retractable undercarriage. The United States Army Air Corps bomber squadrons were largely equipped with slow biplanes such as the Keystone B-6, and Boeing decided to design and build a twin-engined bomber using the same techniques used in the Monomail to re-equip the Air Corps.

Using its own money, Boeing decided to build two prototypes of its new bomber design as a private venture. The two aircraft differed only in the engines used, with the Model 214 to be powered by two liquid-cooled Curtiss V-1570-29 Conqueror engines while the Model 215 had two Pratt & Whitney R-1860 Hornet B radial engines. Both aircraft were low winged cantilever monoplanes with a slim, oval cross-section fuselage accommodating a crew of five. The pilot and co-pilot sat in separate open cockpits, with the co-pilot, who doubled as the bombardier sitting forward of the pilot. Two gunners, each armed with a single machine gun sat in nose and dorsal positions, while a radio operator sat inside the fuselage. Like the Monomail, a retractable tailwheel undercarriage was used.

The first of the two prototypes to fly was the radial powered Model 215 which, carrying civil markings and the aircraft registration X-10633, made its maiden flight on 13 April 1931. It was leased to the Air Corps for testing under the designation XB-901, demonstrating a speed of 163 mph (262 km/h). Testing was successful, and both the XB-901 and the as-yet incomplete Model 214 were purchased as the YB-9 and Y1B-9 respectively on 13 August 1931, with an order for a further five for service testing following shortly.

The Y1B-9 (Y1 indicating funding outside normal fiscal year procurement), powered by two liquid-cooled Curtiss V-1570-29 'Conqueror' engines, first flew on 5 November 1931. The increased power from these engines, combined with increased streamlining of the engine nacelles, increased its top speed to 173 mph (278 km/h). The YB-9, meanwhile, had been re-engined with more powerful Hornet Bs, demonstrating slightly better performance than the Y1B-9, which was therefore also re-engined with Hornet Bs. With the exception of the B-2 Condor, liquid-cooled engines were never used on production bombers for the United States military. The air-cooled radial engine was lighter and more reliable than the liquid-cooled engine, and less vulnerable to enemy damage.

The five Y1B-9A service test aircraft had the Pratt & Whitney R-1860-11 Hornet B engines which powered the re-engined YB-9 and Y1B-9 and a redesigned vertical stabilizer. While enclosed canopies were considered and designed, the B-9 was never fitted with them. Although it equaled the speed of all existing American fighter aircraft, no further aircraft were built, as the Glenn L. Martin Company had flown a prototype of a more advanced bomber, the XB-907, which was ordered into production as the Martin B-10.

The first of the five Y1B-9As entered service with the 20th and 49th Bombardment Squadrons, 2nd Bomb Group on 14 September 1932, with all being in service by the end of March 1933. The new bomber proved impossible to intercept during air exercises in May 1932, strengthening calls for improved air defense warning systems. Two B-9s were destroyed during crashes in 1933, one of the accidents being fatal, while the remaining aircraft were gradually phased out over the next two years, with the last being withdrawn on 26 April 1935.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Gone For A while ? U Must be OLD these kids are never out of touch what with Smart phones and ipads and I watches and such ... Man we O'l timers gota get with the program. OH U say U have no Ide how to Use all the bells and wistles of the NEW Fangled 2.4 Radio U bought and all your perfectly good 72Mhz, easy to use radios (with dead batteries of course) collect dust in the basement/spare room/garage. There like that Model "T" ya can only drive in the 4th of july parade. I just converted my Beat UP "Cub on Floats From 72 Mhz "G" connectors to 2.4 cause I left the radio case sit open on the basement floor and my daughters cat Peed all over the radio. Snickers better hope I don't get her any time soon. Bet it did it with a smile too. the cat not my daughter.
OH again it time to SSS and head for the field for a chit chat Probably only the brave will be there today. calling for winds from 5 to 15 gusting to 30. Maybe I should start my Taxes. ya maybe not still got time.

ooops almost forgot to make a guess how bout the Boeing XB-15 sorry bout that folks.
HoundDog; I'm confused. Phone? I can call in my clues? Really? Who would have thought? Sorry, I had to go out to try to get my pager fixed. I don't know what the problem is, but it hasn't gone off in years. The lady at the shop just looked at me funny. I wonder what her problem was? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:15 PM
proptop

Hey Ernie...thanks...
I've been hanging around, and checking in occasionally, but was too timid to try and answer / guess, because if I got it right then I'd haveta work at finding a new quiz question... So many planes have already been talked about, but I couldn't resist the F8B quiz.
When I was researching Boeing on the H-47 I read about the B-9...

I went to A&P mech. school in the late 70's and recall that my 2nd phase "Primary Engines" teacher joined the Army Air Corps in the mid 30's...he used to tell us stories...and he worked on B-9's and B-10's.

I have a few quiz ideas in mind, and will work on formulating some questions...will have 'em up soon.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:07 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
HoundDog; I'm confused. Phone? I can call in my clues? Really? Who would have thought? Sorry, I had to go out to try to get my pager fixed. I don't know what the problem is, but it hasn't gone off in years. The lady at the shop just looked at me funny. I wonder what her problem was? Thanks; Ernie P.
Now that's Funny .... even funnier if true ... Keep the Quiz go'en.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:23 AM
proptop

O.K. let's try another one...

1) Aircraft...
2) Think a little bit along the lines of "what was old is new again"...
3) Joint project between two major manufacturers in the industry...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.