Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 11:00 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Fireflyer don't be intimidated! Most of us just pick something that interests us and then Google the heck out it. If it looks good we go for it or we go on to another airplane, pilot, etc. I think you will do just find, and you might even teach yourself something!

Mike
Old 11-22-2017, 09:40 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'll be the first to admit I look for the odd or "one off" planes but, when I want to keep it easy, I look at the more obvious planes. It's amazing what you can learn when looking for a subject plane or airman
Old 11-26-2017, 08:10 AM
Hydro Junkie

Okay, I guess Fireflyer isn't going to post anything so I'll post up another one.
Sticking with planes again:
1) This plane was the basis for several that followed by a well known manufacturer
2) This plane was faster than anything else previously built but was used in a roll that didn't require speed
3) It was in service, in it's home country, for eight years, longer than any of the planes that succeeded it, from the same manufacturer, over the next three decades
4) This plane was flown by three countries
5) This plane scored the only "kill" of any plane type built by this manufacturer during the time it was operational
Good Luck

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 11-26-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:47 PM
Hydro Junkie

I guess it's time for another clue, or two
1) This plane was the basis for several that followed by a well known manufacturer
2) This plane was faster than anything else previously built but was used in rolls that didn't require speed
3) It was in service, in it's home country, for eight years, longer than any of the planes that succeeded it, from the same manufacturer, over the next three decades
5) This plane scored the only "kill" of any plane type built by this manufacturer during the time it was operational
6) Unlike everything that followed, this plane had a crew of two.
7) This plane used a single radial engine
Good Luck
Old 11-26-2017, 05:11 PM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

A-1 Skyraider
Sparky
Old 11-26-2017, 05:23 PM
Hydro Junkie

While the Skyraider only had one "kill", that over Korea, it had a crew of one. Per clue 6, this plane had a crew of two. Time for another clue
2) This plane was faster than anything else previously built but was used in rolls that didn't require speed
8) This plane had an "unusual" design feature for it's day that was later adopted by most manufacturers
Good Luck
Old 11-27-2017, 08:32 AM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Actually the Skyraider also had one kill in Vietnam using Unguided rockets on a early model MIG i hadn't heard about the Koren war episode. I believe the Corsair also had a Gun kill on a jet in Korea.
The one in SEA was single seat but several variants had multiple crew positions.
I looked around and can say it isnt a Blackburn airplane.
Sparky
Old 11-27-2017, 09:19 PM
Hydro Junkie

Nope, not a Blackburn either. Time for another clue
4) This plane was flown by six countries (this is a correction as my initial source was found to be in error)
8) This plane had an "unusual" design feature for it's day that was later adopted by most manufacturers
9) The one "kill" this plane had was when it was being flown by a country's military other than it's country of manufacture
10) This plane was armed with two 30 caliber machine guns and a 100lb bomb under the fuselage
11) Only 116 planes were built with 52 of those being built in another country
12) This plane had a top speed of 207MPH, service ceiling of 22,100ft and a range of 685 miles
13) This plane was the first to use a second "new" design feature by the home country's military
Good Luck
Old 11-28-2017, 02:15 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sir; how about the Grumman FF, which scored the only "kill" by a Grumman biplane fighter? Also, the first carrier plane with retractable landing gear. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Grumman FF "Fifi" (company designation G-5) was an American biplane fighter aircraft operated by the United States Navy during the 1930s.[2] It was the first carrier aircraft with retractable landing gear.[3] It was produced under licence in Canada and known as the Goblin in Canadian service and Delfin (enolphin) in Spanish service. The Canadian Car & Foundry Co acquired a manufacturing licence for the G-23, and improved FF-1, of which it completed a total of 52, some of which were assembled from US-built components.

Thirty-four were acquired by the Spanish Republican Government in 1937 by presenting forged Turkish credentials. This batch was built primarily to bypass the US embargo placed on belligerents during the
Spanish Civil War
.[3] Referred to as the GE-23 Delfin (enolphin) by the Spanish Republican Air Force, the aircraft fought in the conflict, but were outclassed by opposing fighters and losses were high. Despite this, a victory against a Heinkel He 59B would be the only recorded "kill" by a Grumman biplane fighter.[1]
Eleven survived to serve in the Ejército del Aire Español, nicknamed Pedro Rico for its rotundity.[1]

General characteristicsPerformanceArmament
Old 11-28-2017, 06:20 AM
Hydro Junkie

It was also one of the first to sport an enclosed cockpit. Just curious, Ernie, what gave it away?
BTW, YOU'RE UP!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2017, 07:27 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
It was also one of the first to sport an enclosed cockpit. Just curious, Ernie, what gave it away?
BTW, YOU'RE UP!!!!!!
Sir; the clue about using two .30 caliber machine guns (10) made me think "That sounds like one of the U.S. Army's (or possibly a British plane from the same era) early 'between wars' biplanes.", and I went from there. The clue about only one kill, and that by a foreign power (5), narrowed it down pretty quickly. Those two clues alone were sufficient; the remainder simply verified the choice. BTW; I was away hunting and didn't really start thinking about it until I returned home and had a chance to do some pondering last night. I'll post something later today. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:02 PM
Ernie P.

Okay; here we go. I do think this will be pretty easy for you guys. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

1. There was only one ever built.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:45 PM
SimonCraig1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Spruce Goose?
Old 11-28-2017, 07:25 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by SimonCraig1
the Spruce Goose?
A very good answer, Sir; but not where we're headed. But you do get another clue for your participation. Good luck! Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

2. It was built by one of four aircraft companies which competed in a competition for a contract to build a new warbird.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:51 PM
Hydro Junkie

How about the XF-17?
Old 11-29-2017, 06:23 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
How about the XF-17?
Another good answer, but again not where we're headed. This morning clue, plus a bonus clue for participation, may put you on the right track. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

2. It was built by one of four aircraft companies which competed in a competition for a contract to build a new warbird.

3. It was the only one of the four which did not eventually enter production in some form.

4. The other three aircraft were all produced in large numbers.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:24 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

3. It was the only one of the four which did not eventually enter production in some form.

5. This aircraft was the only multi-engined aircraft produced by the company.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:25 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

6. And, although it wasn’t selected for production, it was a fast aircraft for the day.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:46 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

6. And, although it wasn’t selected for production, it was a fast aircraft for the day.

7. Despite this failure, the name of the producing company is one well known to almost everyone on this forum.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:27 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:

7. Despite this failure, the name of the producing company is one well known to almost everyone on this forum.

8. It was initially produced with a large “greenhouse” cockpit area, intended to provide lots of visibility for its pilot and bombardier.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:31 PM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

A-12 Avenger II?
Old 11-30-2017, 01:42 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
A-12 Avenger II?
Not the A-12, FlyerInOKC; but here's a bonus clue to assist your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

8. It was initially produced with a large “greenhouse” cockpit area, intended to provide lots of visibility for its pilot and bombardier.

9. Unfortunately, the high visibility cockpit restricted forward visibility for the pilot.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:21 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

9. Unfortunately, the high visibility cockpit restricted forward visibility for the pilot.

10. So, the company installed a more standard cockpit area; but performance remained about the same.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:14 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

10. So, the company installed a more standard cockpit area; but performance remained about the same.

11. Twin engine; crew of three.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:18 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:

11. Twin engine; crew of three.

12. Nine machine guns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.