Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 05:00 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How about the Thomas-Morse S-4?
Old 09-29-2018, 08:18 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Avro 501 or Sopwith Baby?
Old 09-29-2018, 12:53 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
How about the Thomas-Morse S-4?
And there you have it; Top_Gunn nailed it! The Thomas-Morse S4C was the ONLY American single seater scout trainer in WWI. It was very popular, very widely used, produced in large (for the time) numbers, and yet is almost unknown today. Take it away, Top_Gunn; we await your question. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

1. This aircraft is one of the least known, yet “most popular” aircraft ever built.

2. As such, it was in very common use for a long time; yet seldom mentioned or even known, today.

3. It was the favorite plane of its type in its service; used by both army and navy units.

4. It was ubiquitous in its day.

5. Single seat.

6. Single engine.

7. Biplane.

8. It was flown with wheels and with floats.

9. The designer also assisted in the design of a much better known aircraft which served the same function, but which had two seats.

10. Its maiden flight occurred in wartime.

11. It was featured in movies made more than twenty years after its debut.

12. And can still be found flying today.

13. The first group of production aircraft went to the navy.

14. A second, or “B” model, with a more powerful engine, followed quickly.

15. The “B” model proved to be much more successful.

16. A “C” model, with a more reliable engine, was produced; and proved popular.

17. A single example of a further model, with a revised tail and a more powerful engine, was produced, but not adopted by the military. Fitted with another, even more powerful engine, it was used as a “racer”.

18. A single machine gun was sometimes fitted as optional equipment.

19. After the war, many were sold to civilian pilots.

20. Top speed was under 100 MPH.

21. Service ceiling was around 15,000 feet.

22. Endurance was around 2-1/2 hours.

23. Gross weight was under 1,500 lbs.

24. Some are resigned to museums today.

25. Its nickname referred to the nationality of the designer.

Answer: Thomas Morse S4C

The Thomas-Morse S-4 Scout was an Americanbiplane advanced trainer, operated by the United States Army and the United States Navy. Dubbed the "Tommy" by pilots who flew it, the aircraft became the favorite single-seat training airplane produced in the U.S. during World War I. It had a long and varied career beginning with the S-4B, which first appeared in the summer of 1917.
Design and development

Built by Thomas-Morse Aircraft in Ithaca, New York in 1917, it was a compact single-seat open-cockpit biplane of equal span and a 100 hp (75 kW) Gnomerotary engine. The S-4 was designed by Englishman Benjamin Douglas Thomas (no relation to the company owners), formerly with the Sopwith Aviation Company, who also assisted with the design of the Curtiss JN-4 Jenny. The S-4 made its maiden flight in June 1917 in the hands of Paul D. Wilson. Twelve planes went to the Navy.

Operational History

The S-4B, with a 110 hp Gnome, a span of 27’ (8.22 m), and length of 20’3” (6.17 m) proved more successful, with three prototypes followed by an order of 97 for the Army and 10 for the Navy, while six more were completed with two main and one tail floats as the Navy S-5. The S-4B was used by practically every pursuit flying school in the U.S. during 1918. It was supplemented in 1918 by the S-4C, at a cost of US$5400 each. Six prototypes were built, and the 80 hp (60 kW) Gnome B-9 was replaced by the "more reliable" 80 hp (60 kW) Le Rhτne 9C starting with the fifty-second production aircraft. 461 S-4Cs went to the Army and four S-4Cs with floats went to the Navy. After World War I, many "Tommys" were sold as surplus to civilian flying schools, sportsman pilots, and ex-Army fliers. Many were still being used in the mid-1930s for World War I aviation movies, and several continue to exist in flying condition today. A single aircraft was fitted with new tail and the more powerful 110 hp (82 kW) Le Rhone 9J rotary engine, becoming the S-4E aerobatic trainer. It was not adopted by the military, and after being fitted with a 135 hp (101 kW) AeromarineV8 engine, it became Basil Rowe‘s racer Space-Eater. About sixty surplus aircraft survived in civil service, most of which were fitted with the Curtiss OX-5.

General characteristics· Crew: 1· Length: 19 ft 10 in (6.05 m m)· Wingspan: 26 ft 6 in (8.08 m)· Height: 8 ft 1 in (2.46 m)· Gross weight: 1,330 lb (605 kg)· Powerplant: 1 Χ Le Rhτne 9C air-cooled rotary, 80 hp (60 kW)

Performance· Maximum speed: 97 mph (156 km/h)· Endurance: 2 hours 30 min· Service ceiling: 15,000 ft (4,500 [31] m)

Armament· Optional .30 caliber Marlin machine gun
Old 09-29-2018, 03:11 PM
Top_Gunn

Interesting history. I lived in Ithaca for some 19 years, off and on, and never knew that any airplane was made there.
I'll get a new quiz up tomorrow, unless someone else would like to go sooner.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:38 AM
Top_Gunn

And here we go again! This one is pretty obscure.

Looking for the name of a warbird.

1. One of the very first planes of its type to be designed for use in a particular role. Possibly the first, but I'm not at all sure.

2. Fewer than 20 built.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 09-30-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:34 AM
Top_Gunn

Two new clues, plus an addition to the first clue:

1. One of the very first planes of its type to be designed for use in a particular role. Possibly the first, but I'm not at all sure. It was, I'm fairly sure, the first plane of its type to be used in that role.

2. Fewer than 20 built.

3. It was used for only a couple of years by the one service that had purchased it. One foreign country bought one of them; whether it ever used it for anything but testing I don't know.

4. It had many good qualities, but it was somewhat underpowered. That weakness was enough to end its military career.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:15 AM
Top_Gunn

Morning clue:

1. One of the very first planes of its type to be designed for use in a particular role. Possibly the first, but I'm not at all sure. It was, I'm fairly sure, the first plane of its type to be used in that role.

2. Fewer than 20 built.

3. It was used for only a couple of years by the one service that had purchased it. One foreign country bought one of them; whether it ever used it for anything but testing I don't know.

4. It had many good qualities, but it was somewhat underpowered. That weakness was enough to end its military career.

5. It was a single-engine monoplane with two seats.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:00 PM
Top_Gunn

Evening clue:

2. Fewer than 20 built.

6. Its manufacturer made many things other than airplanes. Mailboxes, for instance.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:29 AM
Top_Gunn

Morning clue, which may well lead some of you astray.

2. Fewer than 20 built.

6. Its manufacturer made many things other than airplanes. Mailboxes, for instance.

7. One of the founders of the company that made it was an immigrant who had previously worked at several well-known aircraft companies, including Fokker.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:24 PM
Top_Gunn

Evening clue.

2. Fewer than 20 built.

7. One of the founders of the company that made it was an immigrant who had previously worked at several well-known aircraft companies, including Fokker.

8. The company manufactured a few other airplanes, but most of its aviation-related work consisted of components of aircraft made by others and aviation electronics.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:35 AM
Top_Gunn

Morning clue. Enough about the manufacturer for now; back to the airplane.

2. Fewer than 20 built.

8. The company manufactured a few other airplanes, but most of its aviation-related work consisted of components of aircraft made by others and aviation electronics.

9. Mid-wing; tricycle landing gear.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:59 PM
Top_Gunn

Evening clue.

2. Fewer than 20 built.

10. It had retracts, ejection seats, and speed brakes.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:28 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

F-80 Shooting Star
Old 10-04-2018, 04:29 PM
Top_Gunn

Not the F-80, though that fits some of the clues. Closer to the T-33 (see Clue 5). Here's the bonus clue, though I suspect most of you have figured this feature out by now.

2. Fewer than 20 built.

11. And it was a jet.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:10 AM
Top_Gunn

Morning clue.

2. Fewer than 20 built.

11. And it was a jet.

12. It was unarmed.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:49 PM
Top_Gunn

Evening clue.

2. Fewer than 20 built.

11. And it was a jet.

12. It was unarmed.

13. It was designed and built for a competition for a contract with one military service. It lost that competition, but a different service bought the production run.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:27 AM
Top_Gunn

Morning clue, which should help a lot.

2. Fewer than 20 built.

11. And it was a jet.

12. It was unarmed.

13. It was designed and built for a competition for a contract with one military service. It lost that competition, but a different service bought the production run.

14. Combining clues 1, 11, 12, and 13 we get: One of the very first jets planes to be designed for use in a particular role. Possibly the first, but I'm not at all sure. It was, I'm fairly sure, the first jet plane to be used in that role.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:01 PM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Temco TT Pinto

Old 10-06-2018, 06:07 PM
Top_Gunn

It is indeed the Pinto, an obscure plane indeed, which seems to be the first jet in which an aviation cadet with no training in a piston-engine plane soloed. Here are links to the Wikipedia pages for the Pinto and for Temco (now part of Ling-Temco-Vought):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temco_TT_Pinto

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temco_Aircraft

Well done, Sparky.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:50 AM
elmshoot

Yep I haven't been doing my daily visit to see what is posted so I got to assimilate a bunch of clues with one gulp and It kind of dawned on me where you were going. Then trying to remember the name.... All I could remember was Pinto. Those of us of a certain age all remember the death trap Pinto car Ford produced. But wiki helped with the rest.
I flew the contest winner that the Pinto lost to, the North American T-2 Buckeye B and C versions they were just different motors but were the same from my perspective there might have been some slight procedures different in the two versions. The A was a single engine version which by all accounts was a DOG. They had all been re-motored fairly early on going from 3000 pounds of thrust from on eengine and then doubling the thrust to 6,000 with two motors.
Give me a day to post something. I'm off to the Red Bull air race in Indy
Sparky
Old 10-08-2018, 04:50 PM
elmshoot

OK here goes, sorry for the delay I'm not too sure how long this will last.

1. Ugly airplane
2. Shared the same name as two previous designs, one only 2 planes the other had 785 copies, most went to another country.
3. Less than 30 produced of our subject plane.
4. Described as a "Camel amongst Race horses" I like that quote!
5. None survived the cutters torch.

Sparky
Old 10-08-2018, 05:21 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by elmshoot
OK here goes, sorry for the delay I'm not too sure how long this will last.

1. Ugly airplane
2. Shared the same name as two previous designs, one only 2 planes the other had 785 copies, most went to another country.
3. Less than 30 produced of our subject plane.
4. Described as a "Camel amongst Race horses" I like that quote!
5. None survived the cutters torch.

Sparky
Sparky; you forgot to mention that it was also described as (para) "An accident in waiting" and "It looked as though the accident had already happened". You have to be describing the Seamew. And it was UGLY!! Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: The Short SB.6 Seamew The Short SB.6 Seamew was a British aircraft designed in 1951 by David Keith-Lucas of Shorts as a lightweight anti-submarine platform to replace the Royal NavyFleet Air Arm (FAA)'s Grumman Avenger AS 4 with the Reserve branch of the service. It first flew on 23 August 1953, but, due to poor performance coupled with shifting defence doctrine, it never reached service and only 24 production aircraft had flown before the project was cancelled. It has been described as a "camel amongst race-horses". The pilot and observer were located in tandem cockpits located high up in the front of the deep, narrow fuselage, creating a decidedly "curious" profile.[8] They sat atop the Armstrong Siddeley Mamba turboprop in front and the weapons bay to the rear of them. The design had originally called for the tried and tested Rolls-Royce Merlin piston engine but the Royal Navy had made it policy to phase out piston engines, in order that supplies of highly flammable high octane aviation fuel need not be carried in large quantities on ships. The turboprop engine also caused less airframe vibration so that the pilot could be sat directly over it with the absence of a piston engine ignition system which would have interfered with the radar scanner mounted below the engine housing. For simplicity, and so that a nosewheel would not obscure the forward field of the radar scanner, a fixed tailwheel undercarriage was used. The long stroke necessary on the main undercarriage to allow for heavy deck landings while giving the radar scanner and propeller adequate clearance from the ground resulted in an alarming attitude on the ground and the cockpits mounted at a seemingly perilous height. For landing the tailwheel extended so it could land at a more level attitude. The pilot and observer sat very far forward in order for the pilot to have a reasonable field of downward vision for takeoff and landing and so that both he and the observer had a good field of view for spotting surface vessels even when in level flight. The large, broad-chord wings featured power-folding and pylons for the carriage of rockets, depth charges, flares and small bombs. The large, slab-like tailplane was mounted high on the vertical stabiliser, requiring the rudder to be split into upper and lower sections. The fixed undercarriage legs could be jettisoned in the event of ditching. The weapons bay was 14 ft long and 3 ft wide. By omitting the rotating radar scanner it could be extended to 17 ft in order to carry longer weapons.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:51 PM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Man that was one ugly airplane! The company should have paid the Royal Navy to take it!
Old 10-09-2018, 05:28 AM
elmshoot

Retractable tailwheel and fixed main gear!
Only the British could come up with that!
Maybe they were drinking more than just Tea!
Ernie u r up!
Sparky
Old 10-09-2018, 05:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Retractable tailwheel and fixed main gear!
Only the British could come up with that!
Maybe they were drinking more than just Tea!
Ernie u r up!
Sparky
Cheap Gin the bane of British aerospace!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.