Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 07:56 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If no one posts a question by tomorrow afternoon, I will do so. However, I would prefer some one else take the lead. I've asked several questions lately, and don't want to bore people. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:51 PM
Ernie P.

Okay; here we go. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird engine do I describe?

Clues:

1. This was a very influential engine in the 1920’s and 1930’s.

2. Several well-known engines trace their design to this engine.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:31 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Engine sounds like the Liberty V-12.
BTW, I would have done a quiz since FIO wasn't able but, unfortunately, I'll be without internet access for the next several days.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:55 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Engine sounds like the Liberty V-12.
BTW, I would have done a quiz since FIO wasn't able but, unfortunately, I'll be without internet access for the next several days.
Not the Liberty, Sir; but here's a bonus clue for you. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

3. Those engines powered aircraft on both sides of the Atlantic.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:13 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

4. And both sides of the coming cataclysm.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:34 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

5. Our subject engine first ran in the early 1920’s.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:53 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

6. It powered several iconic aircraft.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:21 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps the Curtiss D-12 or the Curtiss Conqueror (an improved version of the D-12)? Just a guess-
Old 04-27-2019, 07:37 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Perhaps the Curtiss D-12 or the Curtiss Conqueror (an improved version of the D-12)? Just a guess-
You got it, Al; and you are now up. Good job! The Curtiss D-12 was a very significant engine, leading to a variety of variety of more famous engines. It was the first to use a cast aluminum engine lock, leading to increased horsepower and engine life. It was one of, if not the, most copied and imitated engines in the inter-war period. And a number of famous engines were, in fact, copies of some of the copies. Take it away, Al. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

6. It powered several iconic aircraft.

7. The engine was widely imitated, if not outright copied, by several leading aircraft manufacturers.

8. In fact, one of its imitators was specifically built by order of the government of the country, as that government was irritated by its aircraft manufacturers all using a “foreign” engine.

Answer: The Curtiss D-12.

The Curtiss D-12, sometimes identified with the military designation Curtiss V-1150, was an aircraft engine of 18.8 liter displacement. It was a water-cooled V12, producing 443 hp (330 kW) and weighing 693 lb (314 kg). It was designed by Arthur Nutt in 1921 and used in the Curtiss CR-3 for the 1923 Schneider Trophy race. Fairey Aviation of England imported 50 Curtiss-built examples in 1926, renaming them the Fairey Felix. The D-12 was one of the first truly successful aluminum cast-block engines, and was extremely influential in the interwar period. Numerous subsequent engines trace their design to the D-12, among them the Packard 1A-1500, Rolls-Royce Kestrel and Junkers Jumo 210.
Applications

D-12

· Boeing Model 15

· Curtiss CR

· Curtiss Falcon

· Curtiss P-5

· Curtiss PW-8

· Curtiss R2C

· Fokker D.XII

· Macchi M.33

· Wittman D-12 BonzoFelix

· Fairey Firefly I

· Fairey Fox

Specifications (Curtiss D-12/Felix)

General characteristics

· Type: 12-cylinder liquid-cooled 60-degree V · Bore: 4.5 in (114.3 mm)

· Stroke: 6.0 in (152.4 mm) · Displacement: 1,145 cu in (18.8 l)

· Length: 56.75 in (1441 mm) · Width: 28.25 in (717.5 mm)

· Height: 34.75 in (882.6 mm) · Dry weight: 693 lb (314 kg)Components

· Cooling system: Liquid-cooledPerformance

· Power output: 443 hp (330 kW) at 2,200 rpm · Compression ratio: 6:1

Last edited by Ernie P.; 04-27-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:11 AM
Top_Gunn

Hmm. Didn't really expect to win with that guess. But I'll try to get a question going later this afternoon.

I'm not really an engine guy. But I do appreciate how important they were in the early days of aviation. My father was a barnstormer for a while in the 30's. Many years later, when he talked about airplanes, what he talked about was engines. I don't think he knew much about things like aerodynamics or navigation, but he could tell you what engine pretty much any airplane had, and he could keep $50 cars running well enough to get us where we needed to go.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:31 AM
Top_Gunn

Here we go again:

Looking for the name of a warbird.

1. Single-engine fighter.

2. Fast. Perhaps the fastest fighter in existence when it first flew.

3. First flew during the one war in which it was used.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:02 AM
Top_Gunn

Today's clue:

4. An order for the production version was placed more than a year before the end of the war in which it served.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:18 AM
Top_Gunn

Today's clue:

4. An order for the production version was placed more than a year before the end of the war in which it served.

5. Only one pilot shot down as many as five enemy planes while flying this airplane.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:02 PM
Ernie P.

Today's clue:

5. Only one pilot shot down as many as five enemy planes while flying this airplane.
You know, this is a harder question than first appears. The fastest planes of WWI and WWII never made it into actual combat. That makes me wonder if you're thinking of a different war. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:05 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm thinking an Israeli Kfir
Old 04-30-2019, 04:32 AM
Top_Gunn

Not the Kfir. In response to Ernie's comment, while I can't say what war it fought in (figuring that out is half the fun), I will say that it was not the fastest airplane used in that war. But I'm fairly sure that when it first flew it was faster than anything else being flown in that war.

Today's clue:

6. Not many were produced, for reasons that seem unconvincing today. It was somewhat unconventional by the standards of the country in which it was designed and built, although other countries had produced roughly similar designs, one of which had been quite successful, for a while..
Old 05-01-2019, 04:22 AM
Top_Gunn

Today's clue:

6. Not many were produced, for reasons that seem unconvincing today. It was somewhat unconventional by the standards of the country in which it was designed and built, although other countries had produced roughly similar designs, one of which had been quite successful, for a while.

7. After the war, some were sold to civilians, and some of those were raced. One of them, which had a different engine than all the others, won a major race.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:24 AM
Top_Gunn

Today's clue:

6. Not many were produced, for reasons that seem unconvincing today. It was somewhat unconventional by the standards of the country in which it was designed and built, although other countries had produced roughly similar designs, one of which had been quite successful, for a while.

7. After the war, some were sold to civilians, and some of those were raced. One of them, which had a different engine than all the others, won a major race.

8. Total production was somewhat more than 100, and only about a quarter of those were sent to combat zones.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:03 AM
Ernie P.

Today's clue:

8. Total production was somewhat more than 100, and only about a quarter of those were sent to combat zones.
Well, that last clue certainly ruined my next guess. I've been sitting on what I thought was the answer, but maybe I'd better do some more thinking. Unless, you're aiming toward a variant of a larger production aircraft. Hmmm.... Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:42 PM
Top_Gunn

Since getting Ernie to give up on a guess counts as a major achievement in this game, here's a bonus clue.

9. Only one original aircraft survives, in a museum. It's an airplane that achieved a first, several years after its war had ended. A few replicas have been built, and one of them still flies.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Ernie P.

Since getting Ernie to give up on a guess counts as a major achievement in this game, here's a bonus clue.

9. Only one original aircraft survives, in a museum. It's an airplane that achieved a first, several years after its war had ended. A few replicas have been built, and one of them still flies.
To be honest, I was thinking along the lines of a WWI bird, but then thought "Well, couldn't a WWII bird also be in the running"? And I immediately thought of the Bearcat and Rare Bear. It fit all the clues up until Clue (8). Until then, I thought I had the answer and was just sitting back and watching. Now, I have to reboot my thinking. Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: The Grumman F8F Bearcat

The Grumman F8F Bearcat is an American single-engine carrier-basedfighter aircraft introduced in late World War II. It served during the mid-20th century in the United States Navy, the United States Marine Corps, and the air forces of other nations. It was Grumman Aircraft's last piston engined fighter aircraft. Modified versions have broken speed records for piston-engined aircraft, and are popular among warbird owners and air racers. The Bearcat that became Rare Bear was a severely damaged wreck when discovered by Lyle Shelton in 1969. It had been abandoned next to a runway in Valparaiso, Indiana after it crashed there from a throttle-on torque roll in 1962. The airplane had been stripped by parts hunters, so Shelton found a fuselage, wing center section, landing gear and a right wing panel, but little else. Shelton bought the wreck and had the pieces trucked to Orange County and restoration began. One of the major modifications made during the rebuild involved installing a more powerful Wright R-3350 (from a Douglas Skyraider) in place of the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 engine that is standard for a Bearcat. A Douglas DC-7 propeller and cowl were used and Shelton bought the landing gear fairings and doors from the wreck of Bob Kucera's Bearcat. Bill Fornoff loaned him a left wing panel and Gunter Balz supplied a rudder. The windshield and canopy were supplied by Edward T. Maloney. The rebuild was finished with the first flight on 13 September 1969.

Rare Bear has set many performance records for piston-driven aircraft, including the 3 km World Speed Record of 528.33 mph (850.26 km/h) set August 21, 1989, which still stands in this class, and a new time-to-climb record (3,000 meters in 91.9 seconds set in 1972 (9842.4 ft - 6,426 fpm), breaking a 1946 record set in a stock Bearcat).
Old 05-03-2019, 04:30 AM
Top_Gunn

Not the F8F, though I will admit to trying to write some of the clues so that they would suggest that airplane. Here's today's clue:

10. All but one of the few that were sent to war zones went to places other than the place where the most active aerial combat was going on. And the one that did go to the scene of the most intensive fighting may have been sent there only for evaluation, according to one source.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:59 AM
Ernie P.

Not the F8F, though I will admit to trying to write some of the clues so that they would suggest that airplane. Here's today's clue:

10. All but one of the few that were sent to war zones went to places other than the place where the most active aerial combat was going on. And the one that did go to the scene of the most intensive fighting may have been sent there only for evaluation, according to one source.
I have no idea why it took me so long to figure this one out. It's actually one of my favorite aircraft, and I have a kit sitting next to me. One of these days, I'll get around to it. Good question; and I think I'll let it ride for a while. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:26 AM
Top_Gunn

Here's today's clue, which adds a bit to Ernie's mention of his unbuilt kit of this airplane.

11. Sadly, there are far fewer kits of scale models being manufactured and sold today than was the case a few years ago. But one company still offers a kit of this airplane. I'd get one myself if my stash weren't already too big for me ever to build all of them. And there's no room in the basement for more built planes.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:34 AM
Ernie P.

Here's today's clue, which adds a bit to Ernie's mention of his unbuilt kit of this airplane.

<CLIP>
11. Sadly, there are far fewer kits of scale models being manufactured and sold today than was the case a few years ago. But one company still offers a kit of this airplane. I'd get one myself if my stash weren't already too big for me ever to build all of them. And there's no room in the basement for more built planes.
Al; you mean I'm not the only one with this problem? Actually, my lovely bride and I disagree on exactly what is the problem. She says I have too many airplanes. I know my basement is simply too small. Nice to know I'm not the only victim of "Accumulatous Maximus" in the group. Thanks; Ernie P.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.