Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 10:45 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

How about the Messerschmitt Me 210?
Old 03-04-2020, 02:19 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No correct answers thus far; but Top_Gunn and FlyerInOKC have earned a couple of bonus clues to go with an evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

1. This aircraft was built by a famous and successful manufacturer.

2. It was designed by a famous and successful designer.

3. Together, those two had produced several famous and very successful aircraft.

4. But this aircraft was an unmitigated failure.

5. It did serve well in a new role; but by then its failure to fulfill its primary role had doomed it. It was simply second best, at its best.

6. In fact, it was little, if any, better than aircraft that were available more than a year earlier.

7. And markedly inferior to aircraft already in service when it arrived.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:05 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

3. Together, those two had produced several famous and very successful aircraft.

5. It did serve well in a new role; but by then its failure to fulfill its primary role had doomed it. It was simply second best, at its best.

6. In fact, it was little, if any, better than aircraft that were available more than a year earlier.

8. And since all this occurred when men were busily killing each other in the air, its failings were getting men killed.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:10 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

How about the Blackburn Botha or the LaGG-3?
Old 03-05-2020, 07:07 AM
Ernie P.

Sir; both good guesses, but not correct. Here's a bonus clue for you and I may as well post an afternoon clue as well. Thanks; Ernie P.

8. And since all this occurred when men were busily killing each other in the air, its failings were getting men killed.

9. And those men were decidedly unhappy with our subject aircraft.

10. Hundreds of this aircraft were produced.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:17 PM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Well how about the Brewester Buffalo?
Sparky
Old 03-05-2020, 03:25 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Well how about the Brewester Buffalo?
Sparky
Not the Buffalo, Sparky; but you do earn a bonus clue for your attempt. This plane may have been worse; since the Buffalo was a bit long in the tooth and our subject aircraft was new to the field. And, here's an evening clue as well. Please try again. Thanks; Ernie P.

11. And rapidly withdrawn from service as soon as those superior aircraft were available to replace them.

12. But it was in front line service for a while.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:00 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Sounds kind of like the P-39, other than when used by the Russians as a tank buster
Old 03-05-2020, 04:11 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Sounds kind of like the P-39, other than when used by the Russians as a tank buster
Not the P-39, Sir; but you do earn a bonus clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

PS: I've read that the P-39 being used as a tank buster was a total myth. Supposedly, the U.S. never sent AP ammo to the Russians for the P-39's cannon. It was all HE, for use against aircraft. Anyone know if there's any truth to the story? Tnx: EP

11. And rapidly withdrawn from service as soon as those superior aircraft were available to replace them.

13. And while it was there, a very useful role was discovered at which it was pretty good.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:55 PM
Top_Gunn

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Boulton Paul Defiant, maybe? Unsuccessful at its intended day fighter role, but a decent night fighter until better airplanes came along.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:26 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Boulton Paul Defiant, maybe? Unsuccessful at its intended day fighter role, but a decent night fighter until better airplanes came along.
Another very good, but incorrect, answer. This plane was as big a failure as the Defiant. And here's your bonus clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

13. And while it was there, a very useful role was discovered at which it was pretty good.

14. But by then, the decision had already been made to withdraw it from service.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:28 AM
Ernie P.

14. But by then, the decision had already been made to withdraw it from service.

15. The basic problem seemed to be that it took too long to get our subject aircraft into service.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:42 PM
Ernie P.

Afternoon and evening clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

15. The basic problem seemed to be that it took too long to get our subject aircraft into service.

16. When it was designed and ordered into production, it would have been quite useful as produced.

17. But by the time it arrived, the war had progressed to the point it simply wasn’t very useful.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:36 AM
Ernie P.

No new guesses, so here's a couple of new clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

16. When it was designed and ordered into production, it would have been quite useful as produced.

17. But by the time it arrived, the war had progressed to the point it simply wasn’t very useful.

18. Its engine, which had been perfectly adequate when the aircraft was first tested, was now decidedly underpowered.

19. And since it was a bit on the heavy side, its performance, particularly at altitude, was inferior.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:32 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

18. Its engine, which had been perfectly adequate when the aircraft was first tested, was now decidedly underpowered.

19. And since it was a bit on the heavy side, its performance, particularly at altitude, was inferior.

20. And as it tended to lose altitude when turning, its pilots were unhappy.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:39 AM
Ernie P.

21. In fact, its performance got progressively worse the higher it flew.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:52 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

22. Which wasn’t all that high to begin with.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:49 PM
Ernie P.

23. It had originally been intended to replace a particular earlier aircraft produced by the same company.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:06 AM
Ernie P.

23. It had originally been intended to replace a particular earlier aircraft produced by the same company.

24. A very famous and very useful aircraft.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:30 AM
Ernie P.

25. It featured a top wing which gave it great forward visibility.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:58 PM
Ernie P.

26. But much poorer rearward visibility; which was the direction from which the enemy aircraft which shot it down often came.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:13 AM
Ernie P.

Morning and afternoon clues. And, they're big clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

26. But much poorer rearward visibility; which was the direction from which the enemy aircraft which shot it down often came.

27. It featured an improved gun system…. for its one machine gun.

28. While other aircraft, particularly its enemies, tended to carry two.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:04 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. And again, it's a big one! Thanks; Ernie P.

29. Having just produced a particularly outstanding light bomber, its designer and the company for which he worked were possibly more focused on producing and improving that aircraft.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:58 AM
Ernie P.

29. Having just produced a particularly outstanding light bomber, its designer and the company for which he worked were possibly more focused on producing and improving that aircraft.

30. Our subject aircraft was, in fact, produced by several companies under license; in addition to its owners.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:28 AM
Ernie P.

30. Our subject aircraft was, in fact, produced by several companies under license; in addition to its owners.

31. It featured rather large ailerons on both wings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.