Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 03:03 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Almost sounds like the Supermarine S-series of racers, other than clue 3, being designed as a bomber
Old 04-09-2018, 03:38 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Almost sounds like the Supermarine S-series of racers, other than clue 3, being designed as a bomber
No, Hydro Junkie; this one was a bomber, maybe a recon bird. I said it might be interesting. But you do earn a bonus clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

1. This aircraft was in development for nearly ten years, but never reached production.

2. It was still in development when the war ended; and was not further developed.

3. This aircraft was designed to be a high speed bomber, able to evade enemy fighters through sheer speed.

4. It used an unusual engine design.

5. A shortage of engines was a very large part of the reason why the aircraft never reached production.

6. Only a handful of prototypes, and pre-production prototypes were produced.

7. Its design was probably an evolution of a noted previous design.

8. The previous design was very successful, setting several speed records.

9. This new aircraft set a speed record itself.

10. The design was significant in that aerodynamic drag was kept to an absolute minimum.

11. Its engine was set very close to the center of gravity.

12. The first couple of prototypes used retractable landing gear.

13. But the third was constructed with floats.

14. The fourth prototype set a new world speed record.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:16 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

1. This aircraft was in development for nearly ten years, but never reached production.

2. It was still in development when the war ended; and was not further developed.

3. This aircraft was designed to be a high speed bomber, able to evade enemy fighters through sheer speed.

5. A shortage of engines was a very large part of the reason why the aircraft never reached production.

10. The design was significant in that aerodynamic drag was kept to an absolute minimum.

13. But the third was constructed with floats. 14. The fourth prototype set a new world speed record.

15. The next few prototypes followed quickly, but the engine shortage became apparent and no more were produced.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:49 AM
dmcguire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doubtful, but sounds like a Martin P6M.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:48 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by dmcguire
Doubtful, but sounds like a Martin P6M.
Sir; welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy participating in the forum. We have fun and learn a few things along the way. And, if you answer correctly, you get to ask the next question! Unfortunately, it is not the Martin P6M, but you have earned a bonus clue for your efforts. Stick with us and have fun. Thanks; Ernie P.

15. The next few prototypes followed quickly, but the engine shortage became apparent and no more were produced.

16. Two of the prototypes were purchased by another country.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:59 AM
dmcguire

Thank you, this is a very cool thread, a lot of fun and we learn some great history.
Have another guess: the Heinkel He 119 :-)
Old 04-10-2018, 07:12 PM
Ernie P.

Thank you, this is a very cool thread, a lot of fun and we learn some great history.
Have another guess: the Heinkel He 119 :-)
You nailed it, Sir; good job and you are now up. The He 119 was an interesting aircraft; and one very little known. Okay, you are up and we await your question. Thanks; Ernie P.

16. Two of the prototypes were purchased by another country.

17. These two were studied extensively, and resulted in a new prototype design by that country.

18. The second country’s design was never developed beyond the prototype stage.

19. Development ended in the second country when the prototype was destroyed.

Answer: The Heinkel He 119 The Heinkel He 119 was an experimental single-engine monoplane developed in Germany. A private venture by Heinkel to test radical ideas by the Gόnter brothers, the He 119 was originally intended to act as an unarmed reconnaissancebomber capable of eluding all fighters due to its high performance.

Development

A later DB 610 "power system", similar in design and appearance to the DB 601-based DB 606 powerplant for the He 119. Design was begun in the late summer of 1936. A notable feature of the aircraft was the streamlined fuselage, most likely as an evolutionary descendant of the 1932-vintage Heinkel He 70 record-setting single-engined mailplane design, but without the He 70's protruding canopy-enclosed crew accommodation existing anywhere along the exterior. Instead, the He 119's forward fuselage featured an extensively glazed cockpit forming the nose itself, heavily framed with many diagonally braced windows immediately behind the propeller spinner's rear edge. Two of the three-man crew sat on either side of the driveshaft, which ran aft to a "power system", a coupled pair of Daimler-BenzDB 601 engines mounted above the wing center-section within the fuselage, mounted together within a common mount (the starboard component engine having a "mirror-image" centrifugal supercharger) with a common gear reduction unit fitted to the front ends of each component engine, forming a drive unit known as the DB 606, the first German aircraft to use the "high-power" powerplant system. meant to provide German aircraft with an aviation powerplant design of over-1,500 kW (2,000 PS) output capability. The DB 606 was installed just behind the aft cockpit wall, near the center of gravity, with an enclosed extension shaft passing through the centerline of the extensively glazed cockpit to drive a large four-blade variable-pitch airscrew in the nose. An evaporative cooling system was used on the V1, with the remaining prototypes receiving a semi-retractable radiator directly below the engine to augment cooling during take-off and climb. Only eight prototypes were completed and the aircraft did not see production, mainly because of the shortages of DB 601 "component" engines to construct the 1,500 kg (3,300 lb) "power systems" they formed. The first two prototypes were built as land planes, with retractable landing gear. The third prototype (V3) was constructed as a seaplane with twin floats. This was tested at the Erprobungsstelle Travemόnde military seaplane test facility on the Baltic coast, and was scrapped in 1942 at Heinkel's factory airfield in the coastal Rostock-Schmarl community, then known as Marienehe. On 22 November 1937, the fourth prototype (V4) made a world class-record flight in which it recorded an airspeed of 505 km/h (314 mph), with a payload of 1,000 kg (2,205 lb), over a distance of 1,000 km (621 mi). The four remaining prototypes were completed during the spring and early summer of 1938, the V5 and V6 being A-series production prototypes for the reconnaissance model, and the V7 and V8 being B-series production prototypes for the bomber model. These four aircraft were three-seaters with a defensive armament of one 7.92 mm (0.312 in) MG 15 machine gun in a dorsal position, V7 and V8 having provision for a normal bombload of three 250 kg (551 lb) bombs or maximum bombload of 1,000 kg (2,205 lb). V7 and V8 were sold to Japan in May 1940, and extensively studied; the insights thus gained were used in the design of the Yokosuka R2Y. The remaining prototypes served as engine test-beds, flying with various prototype versions of the DB 606 and DB 610 (twinned DB 605s) and the experimental DB 613 (twinned DB 603).

Variants

He 111UPropaganda designation of the He 119 He 119

Basic version, eight prototypes built.

He 5191944 high-speed bomber development, designed as a private venture by Heinkel to test radical ideas by the Gόnter brothers, the He 519 was designed to use the 24-cylinder Daimler-Benz DB 613, but the aircraft remained a concept and was abandoned at the end of the war.

Specifications (He 119 V6)

Data from Warplanes of the Third Reich General characteristics· Crew: 3· Length: 14.80 m (48 ft 6½ in)· Wingspan: 15.90 m (52 ft 2 in)· Height: 5.40 m (17 ft 8½ in)· Wing area: 50.02 m² (538.2 ft²)· Empty weight: 5,201 kg (11,464 lb)· Loaded weight: 7,581 kg (16,678 lb)· Powerplant: 1 Χ Daimler-Benz DB 606A-2, twenty four-cylinder liquid-cooled coupled engine, 1,753 kW (2,350 hp) Performance· Maximum speed: 591 km/h (319 knots, 367 mph) at 4,500 m (14,765 ft)· Cruise speed: 510 km/h (276 knots, 317 mph) at 4,500 m (14,765 ft) (60% power)· Range: 3,123 km (1,687 nmi, 1,940 mi) at 6,000 m (19,685 ft)· Service ceiling: 8,500 m (27,890 ft)· Climb to 2,000 m (6,560 ft): 3.1 min· Climb to 4,500 m (19,685 ft): 10.7 min Armament· Guns: 1 Χ 7.9 mm (.312 in) MG 15 machine gun in dorsal position
Old 04-11-2018, 06:24 AM
dmcguire

Awesome, going to try not to botch this!

1. This aircraft never went beyond the drawing board.
2. Wind tunnel tests on models were stable in mach 2+ speeds
3. Was intended to use an unusual engine and fuel source.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:21 AM
Ernie P.

Awesome, going to try not to botch this!

1. This aircraft never went beyond the drawing board.
2. Wind tunnel tests on models were stable in mach 2+ speeds
3. Was intended to use an unusual engine and fuel source.
Sir; I was just up, so I'm not going to answer; but I think this one won't go very far. I'm pretty sure this bunch will be all over this in short order. But good on you for finding an interesting aircraft to highlight. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:07 PM
Sekhet
My Feedback: (1)

OK, I'll take a swing at it. how about the ramjet powered coal fueled Lippisch P.13a

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lippisch_P.13a

Dr. Alexander Lippisch and his designs were required reading when I was working on my masters in aerospace engineering.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:15 PM
dmcguire

Well, like I said, hoped to not botch this, but you have your answer!
The MilitaryFactory site has some more info on this as well, I can't however post the URL yet due to lack of posts. Interesting plane I had personally never heard of.

Looks like Sekhet is up.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:37 PM
Sekhet

I'll get a question up in a little bit, I have to do a thing or two to show the boss I'm worth my paycheck.
dmcguire, you didn't botch it, you just gave us three very good clues!

Last edited by Sekhet; 04-11-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:25 PM
Hydro Junkie

The MilitaryFactory site has some more info on this as well, I can't however post the URL yet due to lack of posts. Interesting plane I had personally never heard of.

Looks like Sekhet is up.
Not to worry, you didn't "botch this", just made it too obvious in the beginning. For a first time "quizmaster", you did fine. As far as the URL, here you go:
https://www.militaryfactory.com/airc...rcraft_id=1078
Old 04-11-2018, 02:15 PM
Sekhet

OK, I'm not sure if this subject has been used or not (having troubles with the forum search) but I'm going to let her rip 'tater chip.

I'm looking for a warbird.
1. This bird started life as a civilian aircraft
2. Due to modifications made for the military configuration, performance was degraded but was considered sufficient for the anticipated mission requirements.
3. This aircraft was put into military service by fourteen countries.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:12 PM
Ernie P.

Looks like Sekhet is up.
Sir; you did well. Actually, it's a testament to the depth of knowledge of the contributors on this forum that, not only did several people have knowledge of the Lippisch P.13a, they were able to connect the dots and recognize it as the subject aircraft. Well done all! Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:19 AM
Sekhet

Time for another Clue.

2. Due to modifications made for the military configuration, performance was degraded but was considered sufficient for the anticipated mission requirements.
4. This aircraft, in military configuration, had a crew of two.

Last edited by Sekhet; 04-12-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:27 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Sekhet
Time for another Clue.

4. This aircraft, in military configuration, had a crew of two.
Sir; I don't think this is where you're headed, but let's get it out of the way. How about the L-4 Grasshopper (Piper Cub or similar)? It normally flew with a crew of one, but for some missions, had two. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:28 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Cessna Skymaster?
Old 04-12-2018, 07:34 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Cessna Skymaster?
Well, if we're going that direction, how about the Cessna L-19/O-1 Bird Dog? It seems as though there were several planes which fit the clues, but I still don't think that's where he's going. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Cessna L-19/O-1 Bird Dog was a liaison and observation aircraft. It was the first all-metal fixed-wing aircraft ordered for and by the United States Army since the U.S. Army Air Forces separated from the Army in 1947, becoming its own branch of service, the United States Air Force. The Bird Dog had a lengthy career in the U.S. military, as well as in other countries.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:54 AM
Sekhet

Cessna Skymaster?
Wow! FlyerinOKC you nailed it! The Cessna O-2 Skymaster (nicknamed "Oscar Deuce" "Mixmaster") is the one I'm after.
I've owned the civil version, Cessna 337 super Skymaster, and loved every moment of it.
FlyerInOKC you have the runway!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_O-2_Skymaster
Old 04-12-2018, 09:10 AM
FlyerInOKC

Considering how wiped out I am with a cough I'm surprised I nailed it. The bad news is the pulmonologist can't get me in until August! And they say the VA is tough to get an appointment.

I'm looking for a Warbird.
1. It was designed by a well know aircraft company.
2. This airplane was the first of it's type for the company to be built for this branch of the service.
3. Two additional countries licensed the design and produced the airplane.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:42 AM
Ernie P.

Considering how wiped out I am with a cough I'm surprised I nailed it. The bad news is the pulmonologist can't get me in until August! And they say the VA is tough to get an appointment.

2. This airplane was the first of it's type for the company to be built for this branch of the service.
Congratulations on nailing it, FlyerInOKC; and I hope you get well quickly. I really thought Sekhet was headed in a different direction. Oh, well; I've been wrong before. And now I have a warbird subject for a future question. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Ernie P.

Well, the first plane that comes to mind is the Grumman FF, so let's get it out of the way first. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Grumman FF "Fifi" (company designation G-5) was an American biplane fighter aircraft operated by the United States Navy during the 1930s. It was the first carrier aircraft with retractable landing gear. It was produced under licence in Canada and known as the Goblin in Canadian service and Delfin (enolphin) in Spanish service.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

Darn it Ernie you are too good! I didn't think anyone would catch on so quick since it had never really touted for its war service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_FF
Old 04-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Hydro Junkie

I was thinking the F2F or F3F myself since they were early Grumman birds. I didn't know the FF was also built and flown by Canada and Spain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.