Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 04:18 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

1. This aircraft was developed from a very popular and successful earlier model from the same manufacturer.

2. Our subject aircraft had some issues, chief among them a trouble prone engine that required a lot of maintenance.

3. It also had a rather fragile landing gear arrangement.

4. Although that was a result of poor or improper hardening of the metal used.

5. But it was definitely, when properly maintained, capable of competing on equal terms with any aircraft it faced in combat.

6. It is generally considered to be the best of its type fielded by its air force.

7. Ignoring prototypes, aircraft only available in very small numbers and such, it was definitely a star performer during the last couple of years of its war.

8. It was very fast; faster than the main types fielded by its opponents.

9. And it was heavily armed.

10. It was very maneuverable.

11. With a good rate of climb.

12. And a high ceiling.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:34 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not confident about this guess, but it does fit several clues, so how about the Hawker Tempest?
Old 01-12-2021, 08:40 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
I'm not confident about this guess, but it does fit several clues, so how about the Hawker Tempest?
Not the Tempest, Al; but you earn a bonus clue and the scheduled afternoon clue. The Tempest was a good guess, though; because the aircraft share a number of common traits. Thanks; Ernie P.

1. This aircraft was developed from a very popular and successful earlier model from the same manufacturer.

2. Our subject aircraft had some issues, chief among them a trouble prone engine that required a lot of maintenance.

5. But it was definitely, when properly maintained, capable of competing on equal terms with any aircraft it faced in combat.

6. It is generally considered to be the best of its type fielded by its air force.

7. Ignoring prototypes, aircraft only available in very small numbers and such, it was definitely a star performer during the last couple of years of its war.

12. And a high ceiling.

13. But the aircraft’s performance was often hamstrung by manufacturing defects, difficulty in obtaining quality fuel and inexperienced pilots.

14. Its main asset was its very powerful, although complicated, engine.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:31 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Hawker Typhoon?
Old 01-12-2021, 09:41 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Hawker Typhoon?
And not the typhoon; but you do earn a bonus clue. Please try again; you'll get it! Thanks; Ernie P.

12. And a high ceiling.

13. But the aircraft’s performance was often hamstrung by manufacturing defects, difficulty in obtaining quality fuel and inexperienced pilots.

15. Our subject aircraft’s design began as its predecessor was being fielded.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:06 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

12. And a high ceiling.

16. The predecessor was very successful; with several thousand being produced.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:57 AM
Ernie P.

12. And a high ceiling.

17. But it did have some serious weaknesses; and these were addressed in our subject aircraft’s design.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:02 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

12. And a high ceiling.

17. But it did have some serious weaknesses; and these were addressed in our subject aircraft’s design.

18. Our subject aircraft added firepower, added armor and increased the rate of climb.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:54 PM
Ernie P.

An evening clue. Perhaps a bit early, but perhaps welcome for all that. Thanks; Ernie P.

12. And a high ceiling.

18. Our subject aircraft added firepower, added armor and increased the rate of climb.

19. It also added self-sealing wing tanks and armor for the main fuel tank.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:57 AM
Ernie P.

12. And a high ceiling.

20. It also added an armored canopy and additional protection for the pilot.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:39 PM
Ernie P.

12. And a high ceiling.

21. The key to everything was a new air cooled radial engine; featuring methanol/water injection for the supercharger.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:23 PM
Ernie P.

12. And a high ceiling.

21. The key to everything was a new air cooled radial engine; featuring methanol/water injection for the supercharger.

22. Later tests of captured aircraft indicated the subject aircraft, with high octane fuel, could reach speeds of over 400 MPH in level flight.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:37 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay, it's starting to sound Japanese but, if it was only a 400MPH aircraft, that was slower than the Corsair, later Spitfires, the "Merlin" Mustang(Allison powered versions, for the most part weren't able to hit 400 except in a dive), Thunderbolt, Typhoon and Tempest(among others) when they first appeared in combat
Old 01-14-2021, 02:44 PM
Ernie P.

Sir; I can only repeat what is written. And I did write "Later tests of captured aircraft indicated the subject aircraft, with high octane fuel, could reach speeds of over 400 MPH in level flight." But I will award a bonus clue for your analysis. Thanks; Ernie P.

12. And a high ceiling.

22. Later tests of captured aircraft indicated the subject aircraft, with high octane fuel, could reach speeds of over 400 MPH in level flight.

23. The landing speed was higher than its predecessor, which caused problems for some pilots; particularly those with less than adequate training.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:01 AM
Ernie P.

Morning and afternoon clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

12. And a high ceiling.

23. The landing speed was higher than its predecessor, which caused problems for some pilots; particularly those with less than adequate training.

24. Although its performance at higher altitudes was considered to be marginal, its performance at lower and medium altitudes made it a very dangerous aircraft.

25. Our subject aircraft was a fighter.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:55 PM
Ernie P.

12. And a high ceiling.

24. Although its performance at higher altitudes was considered to be marginal, its performance at lower and medium altitudes made it a very dangerous aircraft.

26. Single seat.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:36 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Kawasaki Ki-100
Old 01-15-2021, 05:17 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

N1K2-J Shiden-Kai?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawanishi_N1K
Old 01-15-2021, 08:02 PM
Ernie P.

Neither the Kawasaki Ki-100 or the N1K2-J Shiden-Kai. But you two earn two bonus clues for your efforts. Thanks; Ernie P.

12. And a high ceiling.

26. Single seat.

27. Single engine.

28. Low wing monoplane.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:11 PM
Ernie P.

A late night clue: Total production of the the Kawasaki Ki-100 or the N1K2-J Shiden-Kai was around 1,200. Our subject aircraft production was roughly three (3) times that number. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:53 AM
Ernie P.

12. And a high ceiling.

26. Single seat.

27. Single engine.

28. Low wing monoplane.

29. Armament varied; either a combination of two machine guns and two cannons, or four cannons.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:29 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Note: From this point forward, clues will be mostly details (length, width, range, etc., or rather revealing in nature. Thanks; Ernie P.

12. And a high ceiling.

26. Single seat.

27. Single engine.

28. Low wing monoplane.

29. Armament varied; either a combination of two machine guns and two cannons, or four cannons.

30. It could also carry a couple of 500 lb. plus bombs.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:33 PM
Ernie P.

12. And a high ceiling.

26. Single seat.

27. Single engine.

28. Low wing monoplane.

31. And could be fitted with drop tanks.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:19 AM
Ernie P.

12. And a high ceiling.

26. Single seat.

27. Single engine.

28. Low wing monoplane.

32. The engine produced over 2,000 HP at sea level.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:50 AM
Ernie P.

12. And a high ceiling.

26. Single seat.

27. Single engine.

28. Low wing monoplane.

32. The engine produced over 2,000 HP at sea level.

33. Length was just over 32-1/2 feet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.