Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM P47 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:50 AM
mmn
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM P47 Build

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU
Here is one way to handle this. Use Gorilla glue. Install the glue in all the holes, install the hinges, then stand the surface vertical with the hinges down. The glue puddles around the hinge on the inside, and when dry, it has formed around the barbs and will never come out. You can do the other side of the hinges the same way. You'll destroy the tail before those hinges will come loose.
Thanks, but that was a while back. Already got about 5 flights on it. Turns out there is a 1/4 inch or so balso strip on the TE of the vertical stab and seems to be enough to hold the hinge points in. I used epoxy.

Michael
Old 03-13-2010, 07:52 AM
mmn

Cockpit

Has anyone used the dbalsa custom made cockpit for this plane? I'm wondering about retro fitting it since the plane is done. Or maybe there's something better?

Michael
Old 03-13-2010, 03:38 PM
mmn

Re: Muffler Bolts

Gonna try this out.

Michael

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sq45894.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	916.3 KB
ID:	1397228  
Old 03-13-2010, 10:41 PM
carlosemiliov
My Feedback: (1)

hi mmn heres a picture of my plane

[img]C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Tamara 7-3-10[/img]
Old 03-14-2010, 02:31 PM
mmn

ORIGINAL: carlosemiliov

hi mmn heres a picture of my plane

[img]C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Tamara 7-3-10[/img]
Sorry, those [img][/img] things never show up for me.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:03 AM
tom2bell

well its time to reenforce the landing gear blocks ran off the end of the runway and the gear pulled out the mounts and [sm=cry_smile.gif]broke the wheel wells all up. I have had preaty nice landings untill now the first hard one and they broke.

the fix hard wood blocks and new one peace hard wood rails 30min epoxy. The wheel wells are still up in the air as to what I am going to do.
tom
Old 03-24-2010, 07:58 PM
mmn

I've had a couple of hard landings and the blocks seem ok, though one sort of came loose at the joints. Fixed that with some gap filling CA and it seems to be holding ok.

I had a problems with one of the plastic wheel wells coming loose in flight. Made for some interesting drag on that side, but I did get it down ok. The wheel well was pretty much shattered so I removed it and sheeted it in. Took a piece of the covering that was cut out for the wheel well to Home Dept and they matched the paint exactly.

Haven't removed the other one yet but prolly will. They were held in with silicone sealant.

This thing has been a thrill a minute.

Regards
Michael
Old 03-24-2010, 08:26 PM
rjp

Gents,

Did anyone swap out the 2mm control rods with 2-56 or 4-40?

RJP
Old 04-04-2010, 07:35 PM
rjp

Guys I need some advise. I'm having trouble installing the ESM retracts. I found the width of my set to be to large by about 3/16 inches. Anyone else have this problem?

RJP
Old 04-05-2010, 12:09 PM
mmn

ORIGINAL: rjp

Guys I need some advise. I'm having trouble installing the ESM retracts. I found the width of my set to be to large by about 3/16 inches. Anyone else have this problem?

RJP
Yes, I had to wallow mine out a bit. While you're in there you might want to reinforce the mounting blocks a bit if you're prone to hard landings. Ask me how I know...

Regards

Name:	ca81325.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1412365  
Old 04-10-2010, 06:28 AM
rjp

Thanks mmm. I decided to trim the retract rails by about 1/16 on each side. A dremel tool with cutting wheel works great. Do you have any pictures showing how you ran your air lines?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 04-11-2010, 07:36 AM
mmn

ORIGINAL: rjp

Thanks mmm. I decided to trim the retract rails by about 1/16 on each side. A dremel tool with cutting wheel works great. Do you have any pictures showing how you ran your air lines?

Thanks,
Rick
No pics, but all I did was route them around the well and thru the ribs. Held them in place with some hot glue here and there.

My gear mounting blocks have delaminated. Gonna epoxy them up and use some small countersunk brass wood screws to hold them together. Also removing the plastic wheel wells so that I can get more toe-in without the wheels binding in the wells to hopefully solve the problem of the thing going hard left on take-offs and landings.

As for flight characteristics, the thing has good speed but takes a while to get there. Getting about 7700 rpm on a 17x8 APC with the Aerovate 26cc. Still have about half a jug of break-in mix left and after that I'm gonna try a bigger prop.

Regards
Michael
Old 04-11-2010, 02:56 PM
P47Pilot

Spring finally came to the high north, so the flirst flights of the season were completed today, April 11. I flew the ESM P-47 with a Mejzlik 18x8 (Evolution 26ccm). The video was recorded with a cellphone so the quality is not all that great, but one can clearly see that there is more than enough oomph with this configuration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgPGGJZ9QFM

Old 04-12-2010, 06:53 AM
mmn

ORIGINAL: P47Pilot

Spring finally came to the high north, so the flirst flights of the season were completed today, April 11. I flew the ESM P-47 with a Mejzlik 18x8 (Evolution 26ccm). The video was recorded with a cellphone so the quality is not all that great, but one can clearly see that there is more than enough oomph with this configuration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgPGGJZ9QFM

Hej

Nice vids! Did you happen to measure the RPM with that engine and prop configuration?

Regards
Michael
Old 04-12-2010, 01:26 PM
P47Pilot

ORIGINAL: mmn

Hej

Nice vids! Did you happen to measure the RPM with that engine and prop configuration?

Regards
Michael
[/quote]

Hi, thanks!

I measured the rpm with this propeller last August, before the engine was properly broken in, and got about 8200rpm if I recall correctly. Later it has improved, butI have not measured it

Cheers
Old 06-15-2010, 10:03 PM
knockoffs

Hello ESM P47 Builders, Thought you mite like a few more photos of the ESM P47 thunderbolt, Ive been building.

My motor of choice for this build was the DLE30, and the prop will be a Xoar 18x10. She is about 1 week out from breakin.

Still have to finish my smoke system. I really dont know how they call these ARFs, LOL. Started this project in end of Feb this year.

Well enjoy. Never uploaded to this site before so we will see how it goe's

Here is a youtube link for some more pictures

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr1mEGL4q90

Name:	jg14399.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	5.53 MB
ID:	1453713  
Old 06-16-2010, 01:15 PM
mmn

ORIGINAL: knockoffs

Hello ESM P47 Builders, Thought you mite like a few more photos of the ESM P47 thunderbolt, Ive been building.

My motor of choice for this build was the DLE30, and the prop will be a Xoar 18x10. She is about 1 week out from breakin.

Still have to finish my smoke system. I really dont know how they call these ARFs, LOL. Started this project in end of Feb this year.

Well enjoy. Never uploaded to this site before so we will see how it goe's

Here is a youtube link for some more pictures

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr1mEGL4q90
Nice. Suggest you reinforce at least the firewall and the landing gear blocks if you can.

Regards
Michael
Old 06-16-2010, 04:53 PM
rjp

Very nice job! And nice job on the video. I've been building mine for several months. ARF right.... I like the gear door hiding your charging gear. I may try to do that to my model.

Rick
Old 06-16-2010, 11:21 PM
knockoffs

Thanks Guys, cant wait to fly it !!!

Regarding the firewall. thats the first thing i did. Thinned out about 12 ozs of 30 min epoxy and poured it right in there.
coated it over a period of 3 days. Hopefully that bound the wood and the fiberglass well enough. as far as the landing gear goes !!!
Did the same thing, with many lite coats of epoxy. what have you guys found out. Are there many people ripping out the gear !!!
Plane should land like a baby. Hope thats not the case. And what about the firewall. have engines just vibrated the firewalls off.

Hope Not !!!!!, going to breakin a few tanks, 2 or three on the plane. Should give me some insight, that the firewall is up for the job.

Although a engine coming off in flight would make for a great youtube video !!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 02:41 AM
P47Pilot

ORIGINAL: knockoffs

Thanks Guys, cant wait to fly it !!!

Regarding the firewall. thats the first thing i did. Thinned out about 12 ozs of 30 min epoxy and poured it right in there.
coated it over a period of 3 days. Hopefully that bound the wood and the fiberglass well enough. as far as the landing gear goes !!!
Did the same thing, with many lite coats of epoxy. what have you guys found out. Are there many people ripping out the gear !!!
Plane should land like a baby. Hope thats not the case. And what about the firewall. have engines just vibrated the firewalls off.

Hope Not !!!!!, going to breakin a few tanks, 2 or three on the plane. Should give me some insight, that the firewall is up for the job.

Although a engine coming off in flight would make for a great youtube video !!!!

I have about 80 flights on mine now (Evo 26ccm with 18X8 2-blade Mejzlik) , I actually did not reinforce the firewall at all, and upon inspection things look solid. No reinforcements of landing gear bay either (Sierra retracts).I had one hard land, early on, with a deadstickon climbout just after takeoff. No damage to the plane.Everything is still holding up just fine. HadI built it again, I would have done what you have done, glassing the inside of the firewall, instead of adding lead to the front. I like your engine choice, it will really haul the plane around with authority. Did youadd in more right thrust than what is built into the plane from ESM?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:42 AM
mmn

ORIGINAL: P47Pilot
I have about 80 flights on mine now (Evo 26ccm with 18X8 2-blade Mejzlik) , I actually did not reinforce the firewall at all, and upon inspection things look solid. No reinforcements of landing gear bay either (Sierra retracts). I had one hard land, early on, with a deadstick on climbout just after takeoff. No damage to the plane. Everything is still holding up just fine. Had I built it again, I would have done what you have done, glassing the inside of the firewall, instead of adding lead to the front. I like your engine choice, it will really haul the plane around with authority. Did you add in more right thrust than what is built into the plane from ESM?
I have a 26cc Aerovate (17x8 APC) on mine and it's just barely enough. A friend just finished his ESM FW190 with a 30cc DLE and it's quite fast.

As for the landing gear, I've had a few hard landings and the plywood mounts started delaminating. I glued and screwed them, but that didn't hold. Glass and epoxy has held fine so far. Also my landings are getting better...

Here's a low q vid of how not to do a belly landing. Gear didn't come down cuz the air valve came loose. Pulled up too much trying to set the tail down first. No real damage amazingly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUkZh3MrjDg

Regards
Michael
Old 06-17-2010, 11:03 AM
knockoffs

Did not add any extra right thrust, Should i.
Engine standoffs were from dle50 and i cut off about 1/4 inch.
also used 3 thin washers on all 4 standoffs to get motor to where i wanted it.

Guess i could correct with rudder if i need a little more right thrust.

What did you do. And did you happen to notice that the down pitch is a bit much.
Whats your take on it !!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:30 AM
P47Pilot

I would definitely try a little extra right thrust. I did not, and need a lot of right rudder on take off and also when pulling the plane up in verticals or through loops. This will be even more noticeable with a larger engine and propeller. Other than that, itis ok, and bascially a very forgiving airplane with rock solid flight characteristics.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:07 PM
knockoffs

Ok, So with your engine setup did you finally add right thrust. And if so about how much was needed with your 26cc. 2mm 3mm ??

and if added was there much of a difference.

This sunday if all is well, will be engine breakin day. !!! can't wait to finally bring it to life. How is your Topflight P47 coming along. Will we be seeing some videos soon.

I will post some of my build as soon as there is something to look at !!!
Old 06-18-2010, 01:34 AM
P47Pilot

This will have to be a bit of trial and error, but I would suggest adding in perhaps 2mm to begin with (left engine mounts) and see how it behaves. If it is practical, add more right thrust later. In my view, no extra downward pitch is required. I add my right rudder manually as the flying goes, I did not mix in any right rudder with the throttle, although thiswill also work well. I am thinking of experimenting a little with that now. Winter project will be to glass the firewall and pull off some lead. This plane holds up well to vibrations, and shows little sign of wear andtear after 80 flights. So I guess I'll keep it for a few more seasons and try a few adjustmenst here and there to optimize flight characteristics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.