Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The New KMP Signature Series Warbirds

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The New KMP Signature Series Warbirds

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:58 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The New KMP Signature Series Warbirds

Valley my comment on "better then" is about models offered in that price , it does not have to be the exact same model . When I have a $600 to $900 in extra income I am not anal about having to buy "one plane" .
If I get hooked on a Fw190 , so be it , same with P40 or what ever I am looking for , but when I spend the 600 to $900 , then I want to see what my money gets me in that price range before I pull the trigger .

I agree with you 100% on your comments on having an exact scale model that is hard to fly or make compromises to make them fly better . I think its funny on how many people get anal on exact scale ,when in reality they only really care about proving how much they know about exact scale and not how well the plane flys in the Hobby of RC .
That is what so many really nice scale plane are hanger queens , its not about hours spent , but in the modelers confidence to fly a model that he know may be difficult to fly on wing loading from all the scale details

I my get the quote wrong , but my message content from Dave Platt is 100% dead on , he said " sometimes its better if it looks correct then actually being correct !!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:07 PM
vallawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"when in reality they only really care about proving how much they knowabout exact scale and not how well the plane flys in the Hobby of RC"

You may be the smartest man in the room, you hit the nail on the head.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:08 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

LDM buddy seems like no matter how much you try your not gonna get a clear answer god knows I've tried as well seems like your the only one trying to stay on point with the original intention of this thread

So I will venture a guess and please someone correct me if I'm wrong

model of distinction : something that hasn't been done before, color scheme or scale feature split flap, sliding canopy, folding wing tips operating scale gear door on the tail wheel etc you guys get the pic, not that any of KMP offerings have any of these features or maybe they do, but my assumption is that KMP will do these things better by offering something that others don't

everyone on here is entitled to an opinion we all have to accept that we are not going to agree 100 percent of the time my opinion is no more valid then anyone else, not to mention we are all arguing about something that may or may not be Andrew has stated that changes will be made and this is not what we are to expect, I say take him for his word until he gives reason not to
Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 PM
jk464

ORIGINAL: LDM

I guess I am off base on my perception of what we are judgeing . I spend most of my time bashing arfs now (defined as tweeking the way they look ) not verbal bashing lol .
My confusion on the KMP sig series is not in the appearance , I buy arfs for my personal attraction to the plane and its ability to meet my expecttations of that plane . Example given before (P40 -counter balances in the tail /split flaps ect ) thats me and that is important to me on that plane .
I dont ever expect an ARF to have a scale outline , scale wing outline ect , I just dont care . I prefer a better flying outline , because as most of you ''real scale'' experts know , really great scale rc planes typically dont fly well !!!!! and that my friend is a fact !!!! right from the guys who build them . If I want true scale , I will build a plastic model.

My point in the KMP sig series , are they made better ? This is not a negative post , just tell me how there made that is all I am asking .
If there is no differance , ok so be it , then I will buy a KMP plane based on my love of the model offered by KMP vs a models offered from another company based on price and model vs perceived quality

I think in this very long thread we have been all over the place , Scale outline , looks , qulaity , secret posters ect , we lost track of the true essence of RCU .
If this is an information gathering rc website , then I want more info that I cant get from seeing it at wram , or if i dont attend wram , I want info , touch , feel looks , does the fuse flex will it have cowl flaps ? can you see any details in the alerons or elvators that look like the original ?
We want to know why we should spend our money on this plane so when we do we will not doubt our purchases and then spend time in a another long thread called ''why did I buy this plane ''
I think you are probably on the right track here. The way the model flies and how well its put together are probably better areas to focus on for constructive criticism. People can decide for themselves whether they like the way a model looks.

I think maybe one of the things that has brought up so much passion over the D9 is the market is completely under served for them. I've been wanting one forever as have a bunch of other people. I built the TF version and loved the way they look and fly in the air and every post on here about D9's talk about how well they fly. The description seems to always compare them to how pattern planes fly, which pretty much doesn't get any better. It kind of makes you wonder why D9's have been completely overlooked by all the arf companies until now. I say the more the merrier, we need them in all sizes and price ranges. Going down to the rc field and seeing 15 mustangs and no other warbirds always makes me want to puke.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:36 PM
sabrejet
My Feedback: (45)

I recently bought the yellow T-28 Trojan and the Japanese Val. They are not the easiest ARF's to build but once they are done, they will look pretty nice. What's really great about the planes is that the standard G.I. Joe pilots for $15.00 fits perfectly in the KMP planes without having to buy a $75.00 pilot figure! I may buy the KMP Do-335 later on this year!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96143.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	1572086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79002.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1572087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75100.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1572088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51158.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	1572089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq88193.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1572090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar10604.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	1572091  
Old 03-01-2011, 08:42 PM
sabrejet
My Feedback: (45)

I recently bought the yellow T-28 Trojan and the Japanese Val. They are not the easiest ARF's to build but once they are done, they will look pretty nice. What's really great about the planes is that the standard G.I. Joe pilots for $15.00 fits perfectly in the KMP planes without having to buy a $75.00 pilot figure! I may buy the KMP Do-335 later on this year!

Name:	Ge96143.jpg
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	1572099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79002.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1572100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75100.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1572101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51158.jpg
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	1572102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq88193.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1572103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar10604.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	1572104  
Old 03-01-2011, 08:42 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks nice! I just ordered the 109E myself from ESM
Old 03-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

That Val is a decent looking bird for sure.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:34 PM
flytaildragger
My Feedback: (8)

I guess I am off base on my perception of what we are judgeing . I spend most of my time bashing arfs now (defined as tweeking the way they look ) not verbal bashing lol .
My confusion on the KMP sig series is not in the appearance , I buy arfs for my personal attraction to the plane and its ability to meet my expecttations of that plane . Example given before (P40 -counter balances in the tail /split flaps ect ) thats me and that is important to me on that plane .
I dont ever expect an ARF to have a scale outline , scale wing outline ect , I just dont care . I prefer a better flying outline , because as most of you ''real scale'' experts know , really great scale rc planes typically dont fly well !!!!! and that my friend is a fact !!!! right from the guys who build them . If I want true scale , I will build a plastic model.

My point in the KMP sig series , are they made better ? This is not a negative post , just tell me how there made that is all I am asking .
If there is no differance , ok so be it , then I will buy a KMP plane based on my love of the model offered by KMP vs a models offered from another company based on price and model vs perceived quality

I think in this very long thread we have been all over the place , Scale outline , looks , qulaity , secret posters ect , we lost track of the true essence of RCU .
If this is an information gathering rc website , then I want more info that I cant get from seeing it at wram , or if i dont attend wram , I want info , touch , feel looks , does the fuse flex will it have cowl flaps ? can you see any details in the alerons or elvators that look like the original ?
We want to know why we should spend our money on this plane so when we do we will not doubt our purchases and then spend time in a another long thread called ''why did I buy this plane ''
I am delighted to finally see something worth responding to; truly your words capture the meaning of what it should be here. And it prompts me to try to answer the ever evasive question of what and how KMP interprets a "Model of Distinction" This is the motto that the company continually STRIVES to attain. What it means is an attempt to offer features and benefits that exist only with our products. Sometimes we miss the mark, but on the next go around we will change it, make it better, add some additional features that will make our products just a little different than the others. A "Model of Distinction" is never in final copy but an evolution of continuing effort to bring the best valued product to market. This is the best understanding I can explain as Andrew has delivered it to me. Having said that... I will attempt to clearly identify the features of Sig Series aircraft that make them unique as compared to others.
Please keep in mind, I have been privy to handling, repairing, assembling most of the models that have rolled off the assembly line so far. The following is my interpretation of the differences.

1. All KMP Sig Series aircraft offers Solartex covered flying surfaces that is painted and ready to go. Available also in primered versions for your creation. Some may not believe this is an important benefit, but the painted film coverings are not very durable when it compares. Easily will paint chip but not on solartex. It is also much stronger.

2. All KMP Sig Series planes come with prefitted canopies, wings, stabs, cowls, and have retract bays readily designed for their chosen gear. Assembly is easier.

3. All KMP Sig Series aircraft designs have been preflown and tested before production by Andrew himself. Many trips to China.

4. The biggest distinctive benefit of a Sig Series aircraft is the ability to purchase and drop in High Quality American made retract products. Sierra Giant and Robart.

5. Lastly, at this time, another benefit is the overall construction of the plane. The fiberglass is more robust, more durable, easier to repair than some of the rest. This feature became very apparent when in two days I had to return the 190 prototype to it's original condition after shippers crushed the fuselage in transit. Where most other models would have been a candidate for the trash heap, the fiberglass was mouldable and responded to heated reforming. The plane was flattened and yet it was resurrected in two days. This will be a desired benefit when it may be cracked up on a bad landing.

These are the differences that follow what we mean when the term model of distinction is used. This is the best explanation I can offer and a direct answer to what is it we are buying in a model produced by KMP.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:52 PM
TA152

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: vallawyer

Are they made better? Better than what''? There is no other 80 inch wing span FW190 ARF out there. Just this one. And the price is right. There is no 95'' one except the Easy Tiger one, either. There are a hand full of kits but who wants kits anymore? Not many.
What about this one Wallawyer? Have you forgot the ESM Dora? Much more correct to scale than the KMP bird and a nice price too.

Name:	Nl28505.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1572185  
Old 03-02-2011, 01:14 AM
Kostas1

I really like the Val !

Good choice...
Old 03-02-2011, 02:28 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Thank you for your reply . That is direction that I was looking for in features that return on real benifits .
1)Now a few points of interest , I am very glad to hear that the format is made for US made retracts , now the next question , I typically reinforce every arf in the retract bay area , do you guys see that as needed in the sig series ?
2)Most of the ARfs , especially CMP use a differant type of Glass )cheaper ) , Andrew is very well versed on the type , can you tell us if the KMP is useing the more superior type as it has in the past ?
3)Hindge points will they take robart hindges , or designed for CA hindges ? is there a good wood foundation for real robart hidges ?
4)CG /Flight test , do Andrews flight test have a sweet spot for CG and suggested engine set up on the D9 , or is this plane still awaiting flight test ?
5)sorry if i missed this point are the wings fully sheeted ?
Thanks for your time
Old 03-02-2011, 03:50 AM
telejojo

If it looks good and flys good who cares if it's not perfect to scale.I would bet anybody who has posted on this forum that while they are flying it they could not tell the difference if it were perfect to real pics or just like it is.My planes are for flying not sitting around and looking at,you can build a static model for that.I think I fall into the 90% of people who would buy it and that I would have never known if it was not perfect to scale or not it looks good to me.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:58 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: sabrejet

I like the Val, waiting to hear how it flies. The model is affordable, no need for retracts. I will have to research this one. Looks like it has a lot of wing area, if the kit is light, it would be perfect for an electric version.

Gerry
Old 03-02-2011, 06:08 AM
Evil_Merlin

There is a HUGE difference between perfect scale, and not scale at all.

NO ONE is asking for a perfect 1/5th scale recreation of a Bf 109 or Fw 190D9. All we were asking is why the ESM looks like a Dora and the KMP looks like... well honestly I don't know what it looks like.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:12 AM
Tisoy909
My Feedback: (21)

Well,
You can try to paint it! hehe
Old 03-02-2011, 06:44 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gerry,
If you look over on the Val Thread. Someone has already flown it and said it was a real gentle flyer...

Ty
Old 03-02-2011, 06:54 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: fockewulf37

Gerry,
If you look over on the Val Thread. Someone has already flown it and said it was a real gentle flyer...

Ty

Thank you, for the info going there now:-)

Gerry
Old 03-02-2011, 06:56 AM
Magnum RC

Good Post
Old 03-02-2011, 07:16 AM
flytaildragger

Thank you for your reply . That is direction that I was looking for in features that return on real benifits .
1)Now a few points of interest , I am very glad to hear that the format is made for US made retracts , now the next question , I typically reinforce every arf in the retract bay area , do you guys see that as needed in the sig series ?
2)Most of the ARfs , especially CMP use a differant type of Glass )cheaper ) , Andrew is very well versed on the type , can you tell us if the KMP is useing the more superior type as it has in the past ?
3)Hindge points will they take robart hindges , or designed for CA hindges ? is there a good wood foundation for real robart hidges ?
4)CG /Flight test , do Andrews flight test have a sweet spot for CG and suggested engine set up on the D9 , or is this plane still awaiting flight test ?
5)sorry if i missed this point are the wings fully sheeted ?
Thanks for your time
1. The most recent directive given to the manufacturer was in fact a reinforcement of the retract mounts from the prototype.
I believe what ever else you choose to do is just some extra. None of these planes are designed for carrier landings, you must learn to fly them and land properly.
2. The last feature of what I posted prior should answer this question. I feel the glass is superior. I was amazed at the restoration process. I think it was a testimony of the construction.
3. Yes, the planes are already hinged for pin style hinges.
4. The suggested CG in the instructions are not guesswork. It is as printed. Engines can vary a great deal. The tests were performed with the Aerovate 45cc.
5.Yes, Wings always fully sheeted on the Sig Series aircraft.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:35 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like you guys are trying to improve things, there's always room for that they say...lol

at least you all seem to care about it, so many do not...just the initial sales.

Thanks its refreshing!

Casey
Old 03-02-2011, 09:42 AM
flytaildragger

ORIGINAL: Experten109/40

whats with this armachair BS? NOBODY here owns the KMP FW 190 yet.. NOBODY. so somebody makes negitive comments on
how it looks in the photo and there armchair quaterbacks. somebody who makes positive comments on something they don't own yet is what?
Gospel? care to answer that last question? and yes I don't need reminding that some comments were over the top. not arguing.. just
curious on your opinion. I should add for the few that did see it in person, comments were generally negative.
thank you very much.... that is much appreciated!

- Original Message -
Mr. Bryant's message, email removed for privacy
Date: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 12:04 pm
Subject: Enquiry from Kondor Model Products
To: Kondor Model Products <[email protected]>

> Hi Andrew,
> Last night at our club meeting a club member who was at
> Northwest expo was telling me about the D9 he was really
> impressed and said he kept going back to talk to Gus. I thought
> you would like to know this as Cris is a Beech Baron pilot (full
> size) flies turbines gassers and nitro. Good recomendation.
> Bryant

Regards,

Andrew Kondor
President - Kondor Model Products
www.kmp.ca

This is only one of the emails we receive from modelers that have seen and touched. The opinions shared on RCU have a wide variety of opinions from the Armchair of their seats.... to hands on opinions. I think that is what Magnum was trying to relay. I think that is what Vally was trying to say. For New modelers trying to decide what to do, it is possible to be mislead is what I took from the post. You have to be careful to discern what is the truth.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

to clairify, my point was those who have negative comments about the KMP Fw190 are just as valid as those
who had positive comments. without seeing the plane in person of course. that said, I personally don't like
the paint scheme. and that canopy... is just awful. again, just my opinion.

as for Valawyer.. I would distance myself as far away as humanly possible from that guy. is support is something
you don't need. trust me.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Evil_Merlin

What experten said.

Hands on or not, the Fw 190D9 still doesn't LOOK like a Fw 190D9. It looks kinda like one.

I too am a full sized pilot, with over 1600 logged hours in everything from the J-3 I first soloed on to the TP-51B of the Collings Foundation. That doesn't mean much in the model avaiation world.

As I said, the T-28 KMP makes and the AT-6 look GREAT. Rather scale lines, decent looking green houses and canopies. SO what happened to the Fw 190 D9?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:18 AM
flytaildragger

And like Andrew said,,, offer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism in PM format or in a professional manner if you want our response. We desire this. We want to make the definition of previously stated a "Model of Distinction" Remember, again Evil, this plane you are judging is not the final copy... There was a great deal of correction input directed at the factory. IT is their desire to capture the attention of the modeling community as well. I believe the canopy will change, the paint will change, and many other things. Give us time and a break!

PS, we did use your list as a beginning of the investigation to decide what changes we wanted to implement now and later. Not all will be done, but most. We do listen when you are professional about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.