Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

NEW Top Flight P-40??? 1/5 scale

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

NEW Top Flight P-40??? 1/5 scale

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 02:48 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I think I have the muffler problem solved. I made up a strap on the side opposite the exhaust outlet and fastened it to the Engine mount. I have the Slimline model. It was cracked > 3" on the bolt side. You really had to look to see the crack.The weld they made never bonded to the channel that they used to make the thing. Anyway, after a lot of tig welding, It is very secure on there now.

Last edited by Len Todd; 10-18-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:20 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by masteromodels
J-Tec Mufflers have a metal strap whith bolts to the rear can and then screwed to the fuselage and that eliminates the problem. Or you can make your own .
J-tec told me that if I attached a brace to the muffler it would void the warranty but I tried it anyway.......still came loose.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:43 AM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then there is something out of balance with the engine and you have to much vibration. J-Tec actually makes the bracket and the can is already threaded. I made my own, but by buddy with a DA-50 ordered the muffler from them and he has not had any problems since then. Make sure the Spinner back plate is not warped and the prop is balanced. If you nose over on take off or landing it can bend that back plate , it is not the strong and once it happens forget it and get a new one.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:01 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

What type of prop balancer are you using?
Old 10-19-2014, 01:19 PM
DUCATIKID

I have 2 DLE55's with J-tec mufflers and don't have any issues, i don't use a brace but i do throw away the gasket and use sealant instead.
I also cheat a bit and both planes have small holes in the cowl that acess the bolts, just in case they need to be tightened periodically
Old 10-19-2014, 01:32 PM
Lifer

No problem with mine either. Ditto on no gasket and copper sealant. One install is over 3 years old with no issues. I do balance my props before use.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:51 AM
SWORDSN

I always balance my props too,but the three of us could not keep it tight and the cracks also occured. I tried everything mentioned in this thread.I'm glad to hear yall made it work!
Old 10-25-2014, 03:37 AM
Len Todd

On take off, after leaving the ground, I can see the plane noticeably pulling to the left. I am beginning to wonder if I need more right thrust angle on the engine mount. Is there a need to add more angle than what the Firewall has built in?

I may have the muffler problem fixed. Got 5 flights in and it was still not loose. I used the added bracket, hi-temp silicone and the gasket. I even got in two bounceless landings.

Still think I need to do some axial balancing. After trimming, the Ailerons are nowhere near lined up with the trailing edges. They are trying to roll the plane back to the right. ??
Old 10-25-2014, 07:01 AM
SWORDSN

Originally Posted by Len Todd
On take off, after leaving the ground, I can see the plane noticeably pulling to the left. I am beginning to wonder if I need more right thrust angle on the engine mount. Is there a need to add more angle than what the Firewall has built in?

I may have the muffler problem fixed. Got 5 flights in and it was still not loose. I used the added bracket, hi-temp silicone and the gasket. I even got in two bounceless landings.

Still think I need to do some axial balancing. After trimming, the Ailerons are nowhere near lined up with the trailing edges. They are trying to roll the plane back to the right. ??
I found That if you throttle up slowly on take off,this allows the rudder to have more effect,before engine torque pulls left. I don,t think more engine offset is a good idea.I had the same problem until I did got some experience with it.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:04 AM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

Once the tail is up , you add power and right rudder at the same time. The ruder is not that effective in the tail down position but becomes more effective once you let the tail come up. I hold full right rudder and full throttle until the planes is at a safe altitude and release the rudder then. On most all war birds the rudder is as important as the use of the elevator on take off. I can usually hold my plane right down the middle of the runway on takeoff regardless of wind direction. Practice and more practice is need until it becomes 2nd nature using the rudder , elevator and throttle on take off.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:53 PM
Len Todd

Thanks for the help guys. As I get more time with this plane, I am sure I will get used to it.

Anyone using a three-blade prop on the DLE 55?
Old 10-26-2014, 08:29 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Todd
Thanks for the help guys. As I get more time with this plane, I am sure I will get used to it.

Anyone using a three-blade prop on the DLE 55?
I have had great results with the Mo power 3 blade adjustable troybuilt modles sell it
Old 10-26-2014, 08:46 AM
Lifer

Both of mine have DLE 55's. One uses a Xoar20x10x3 and the other a 20x8x3. Performance is pretty much equal as the one with 8 inches of pitch turns much faster. The other is quieter, however.

As far as right rudder on takeoff is concerned, I'm holding the needed amount of right rudder for about 100 yards after takeoff. From that point there is sufficient airspeed over the vertical stabilizer to hold the plane straight. I also apply needed rudder during the turns to keep the nose level.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:52 AM
Len Todd

Originally Posted by Lifer
... As far as right rudder on takeoff is concerned, I'm holding the needed amount of right rudder for about 100 yards after takeoff. From that point there is sufficient airspeed over the vertical stabilizer to hold the plane straight. ...
That first 100 yards or so was where I noticed the pull to the left. So, ... I guess mine is typical for the model. I won't worry about that.

I looked at Morepower Adjustable Pitch props. I am not sure I like the spinner compared to the red tru-turn I have on there now. But I like the idea of the adjustable pitch. I will need a new spinner for a three blade anyway. Got to think about this one for a while.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Have any of you guys added cowl flaps on this bird? Seen it done?
Old 10-29-2014, 10:48 PM
Aluminum Overcast

Yes. This (Gill Flaps) and other mods to my TF P40 can be seen here:

Gill flaps at around 6:00 in the timeline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uk0...=TL6tqK_BKJVyo

Lots more details added by the time this video was shot, including completed gill flaps, scratch build Gun Sight and Aux tank and more...its been a work in progress and I have been flying it over the years.... I still have to create a final vid of all the mods dedicated exclusively to my P40 that show these details and process in greater detail but we'll see when I get time to do it. You can see my P40 featured along with my Zero in this vid I made for our club. Early on its seen painted without decals later seen with them completed and with weathering. My P40 wears number 43 and flying with the 3 blade in this vid:

Turn the volume up and max resolution @ 1080 full screen....enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_k7...IRhk-gk1LTh6XA
Old 10-30-2014, 08:53 AM
Shaun Evans

Wow,

Very nice work. It wasn't until late in the video that I realized you were dealing with the 60-size!
Old 11-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Got the maiden in.

http://youtu.be/twPmOy-wBzs
Old 11-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Len Todd

Nice flight!

Looks like my muffler bolts started backing out again. I have the prop and spinner balanced. The muffler was put on with hi-temp copper silicone w/o gasket. I drilled the cap screws today and lock wired it with some heavy lockwire. Probably will fiddle with the axial balance some more tonight. The wing is good by itself, but the plane and wing is off a bit. Even then, though, the little bit it is off does not seem to warrant the amount of aileron trim that keeps it out of a roll.

Last edited by Len Todd; 11-06-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:05 AM
Lifer

Len,

Quick question: What kind of prop are you using? Some props are made with unequal pitch and this can cause vibration even on a balanced prop. Xoars are some of the better props in this regard, in my opinion.
Keep posting so we can figure this problem out.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:16 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

I don't know if you've considered this, but a lot of time, it's the rudder that's knocking the plane out of roll trim and not the ailerons. Next time you're getting roll even though the ailerons are aligned with the rest of the wing trailing edge, try adjusting the rudder trim and see what happens. Also, these P-40's have terribly thrown-together flap ribs. On this one, the gap is 1/4" on one side and a hair under 3/8" on the other! Surely that can't help roll trim, either.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:54 AM
Len Todd

Originally Posted by Lifer
Len, Quick question: What kind of prop are you using? ...
The current prop is a Clark 22 x 8. I busted a Xoar when I was trying to figure out how to land the thing, and we busted another Xoar when between my spotter and I, we retracted the landing gear on the ground while it was running during a transmitter hand-off. So I put a cheapie prop on. I do have a couple Xoars here. I'll try changing the prop even though I lock-wired the bolts.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:02 AM
Len Todd

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
Hi,

I don't know if you've considered this, but a lot of time, it's the rudder that's knocking the plane out of roll trim and not the ailerons. Next time you're getting roll even though the ailerons are aligned with the rest of the wing trailing edge, try adjusting the rudder trim and see what happens. Also, these P-40's have terribly thrown-together flap ribs. On this one, the gap is 1/4" on one side and a hair under 3/8" on the other! Surely that can't help roll trim, either.
I'll take a close look at the flaps and give the rudder trim a try next time out. I am going to put it back on the bench and re-balance it though. I knew it was a little heavy on one side. But, I just wanted to see if I really needed to address it. So, I flew it enough to get comfortable with it just using the trim. Weather is closing in on me up here. We had an inch of snow on the ground a couple days ago. This may drag out into next year's season.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:08 AM
Lifer

Check the blade tracking and if it seems that they are in-line with each other, see what happens with the vibration issue from that point forward. One other thought: On my P-40, I used several (about 5 per side) # 2 x3/4 inch sheet metal screws from the side of the firewall box to strengthen the bond between the sidewalls and the firewall itself.
Hope this helps a little.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:25 PM
Westwindpilot86

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, I know this plane has been around for a little while but I finally decided to buy one.

So off to the lhs I went and asked the owner to order it for me. I watched him order it and I payed him in cash. I figured if I go through him there are two things that I benefit from.

1. I would rather pay 60 dollars in tax and have it shipped to the lhs than to to pay 89 in shipping from tower hobbies.
2. It benefits the lhs that I try to give as much of my business as I can.

A couple days go by and I get a call from the owner of the lhs. He says he just got off the phone with GP and they are charging him a $90 shipping fee that was not there when we ordered it.
As of right now he is fighting it for me cause it does not say on the dealers page on the GP website that there are additional shipping fees.

We will see what happens. I have the engine, retracts, servos, radio equip, and other things for this plane. Just no plane.

Steven

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.