Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 50cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 03:56 AM
cosmo21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Havent had a close look yet, seems ok tho. when I get started on it I'll certainly give it a good going over.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:08 AM
LBJ
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been looking at photos and text on the Olathe F4U. I first thought it was being repainted between Reserve Duty sorties. But, after reading, it appears that the blue panels were fitted as replacement panels for some reason. I now have come to the conclusion that I don't think it would have been painted piece-meal while in Reserve Duty. They would have either repainted it completely or not at all. At any rate, there are so many interpretations of this plane by plastic modelers and RC modelers that it's hard to get the panels right. The best source is the photos of the original Corsair as it sits derelict somewhere. After looking thru the Squadron book it also appears that each Reserve Unit painted the markings a bit different. Small differences, but it seems that certain things were left entirely to the paint shop at each base - namely the dimensions and placement of the Orange Band on the tail and the angle-of-dangle of the Star and Bar on the fuselage. As I tell fellow RC'ers, I'm not going to Top Gun with this, so not too worried with the final outcome, just want it to look believable.

Last edited by LBJ; 04-27-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:35 PM
LBJ

A few pics of today's painting. Outer panels painted Glossy Sea Blue. Inner wing has been primered with white primer. Next, the ailerons and flaps, and bottom center wing get Insignia White, top center wing gets Light Gull Gray. Then done.

Bottom of wing with masking in place.

Top of wing with masking.

Masking off. Center section still in white primer.

Left outer wing panel.

Full flaps!

Flaps from the bottom.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:18 PM
LBJ

Although not much change in appearance, I painted the Insignia White on the bottom of the wing and both sides of the flaps and ailerons. I kept the masking in place to paint the Gull Gray on top tomorrow.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:51 AM
BJ64

Love the way that your 'card' bracing between the two stands folded in sympathy to the shape of a Corsair wing

BJ
Old 04-29-2014, 06:13 AM
LBJ

Yeah, I guess it did! Strange coincidence. Maybe it's an omen that I haven't been too heavy with the paint gun. ha. Fred Culberson says his H9 Corsair weighs in at 31 pounds with the Saito Radial. Hope this one doesn't go over that.

Got over to paint the top of the wing today. Gull Gray finishes her off. whew. Still have a few minor paint things to do on the wing.

Last edited by LBJ; 04-29-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:53 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My second ESM 50cc Corsair after maiden, resting together with my TF 190.

All went well, and the proskin / fliteskin / G10 reinforcement seemed to do well.

The canopy is from Top Flite Corsair; A bit too short, but will have to do, since Ty Browns canopy isnt in stock.

It was a great day, and what a great feeling it is to return from the field with undamaged warbirds.

I was more nervous than normal, in fact even my fingers was shaking a bit when trimming it.

The landings went great too, the Corsair behaved just like the first one, so I must have hit well with the CG.

Puh!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSC00893.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	1991433  

Last edited by kwik; 04-30-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:02 PM
LBJ

Kwik, good work. Glad she performed on the money.

Ziroli has canopies that fit the ESM. Not sure about the overseas shipping, however. But they fit nicely.

Here it is with Pappy!
Old 05-05-2014, 12:41 AM
cosmo21

Looks like I cant get a damn controller box for the retracts from Aussie importer.
Ive sent an email to Troy built and VQ, hopefully I can get one off those guys.

Any other suggestions?
Matt
Old 05-05-2014, 05:15 AM
BJ64

What sort of "controller box" are you after?

BJ
Old 05-05-2014, 01:23 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LBJ
Kwik, good work. Glad she performed on the money.

Ziroli has canopies that fit the ESM. Not sure about the overseas shipping, however. But they fit nicely.

Here it is with Pappy!
Nice!

I have the Ziroli canopy too, but find it a bit too big. And the Top flite a bit too small.

Ty Brown, I know you dont like to make canopies, but cant you just fill up the stock a bit?

Please!!!
Old 05-05-2014, 04:57 PM
jimkron

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kwik
Nice!

I have the Ziroli canopy too, but find it a bit too big. And the Top flite a bit too small.

Ty Brown, I know you dont like to make canopies, but cant you just fill up the stock a bit?

Please!!!
I also found the Z canopy a bit large. The canopy 'frame' you will have to paint is over-sized and sits in a "not very scale" position. I'll sell you my Ziroli clear canopy for half the cost.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:38 AM
LBJ

I look at the canopy issue in a different manner. I am just glad to find something that fits even close! I can only speak for myself, but I'm not going to Top Gun with the Corsair and most local folks do not know too big from too small a canopy. Not too mention, the material Ziroli uses is PETG which does not crack and split like the ESM and other brands of canopies. Yet, many "scale" enthusiasts will have the most ridiculous pilots in the cockpit! ha. Mostly way too small guys who look like they have been shrunken by VooDoo. Oh well, everybody has their preferences. As I tell folks concerning many minor issues, "You cannot tell "this and that" when she's blowing by at 90 MPH! Looks like a Corsair to me!" ha
Old 05-06-2014, 07:54 PM
LBJ

I got the final small Sea Blue areas painted on Monday. She's drying out now for another week or so before I bring her home. I enjoyed using the latex house paint out of the old Devillbiss JGA spray gun. Looking forward to getting her all buttoned up with the rub-ons, assembled, and flown.

These three areas took about 5 hours to layout, tape, mask off, and paint Sea Blue.

Assembled view. I forgot my bolts for the wing to have the pics right side up. Next time.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:34 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I tell folks concerning many minor issues, "You cannot tell "this and that" when she's blowing by at 90 MPH! Looks like a Corsair to me!" ha

Looking good! I bet yours will look good at any speed..

Brian
Old 05-07-2014, 04:44 PM
BJ64

Originally Posted by LBJ
..I enjoyed using the latex house paint out of the old Devillbiss JGA spray gun. ...
How did you go with that combo?

I trialled a few different 'latex' (acrylic?) house paints and guns, and found that it shot quite nicely (with about 50% paint 50% water IIRC), but man that stuff sets soooo quickly in the nozzle/needle. Even when I was uber-quick mixing/spraying etc., I'd already have heaps of gunk like milk sludge building up inside the needle assy.

I've eventually settled for the Createx brand of water-based acrylics - they beatifully out of the gun/airbrush and have provide a tight finish... though they might turn out a bit expensive when painting something of this size

BJ
Old 05-07-2014, 05:19 PM
LBJ

BJ64, I talked to a guy at our field who uses latex house paints mixed to Fed Spec colors from Home Depot. I listen to him very closely since he's a Top Gun top 5 placer in Expert! He always has a big Corsair there with some very high static scores. He uses a couple of things that help make the latex work for ya. First is windshield washer fluid from the auto store for reducer. Next is Flowtrol for Latex from Lowe's or HD. Both of those make the spraying work like magic. Mix the Flowtrol into the latex then strain it thru an auto paint strainer into your paint cup. Flowtrol makes the paint flow out or increases the drying time so it has time to level out. Then, add the washer fluid as you think best. I like the paint dripping easily off the stir stick. Better to have it just a tad thick. If you have a "booger" on the tip after a while of spraying, then you are slightly thick. No booger and you are too thin. I built it up in very thin applications to avoid runs. These paints are $14 out the door in a quart can. Washer fluid is a couple a bucks per gallon. Flowtrol is about $5-$10 I think. Pretty dang cheap all the way around. Best thing is there are no harsh fumes or chemicals. No one can say "You cannot spray that here" or that kind of crap. Good all the way around.

As far as cleanup and sludge, none there. You may have had the paint a bit thick so it wasn't able to flow properly thru your gun. It looks like milk when you have it about right. I take it to the garden hose immediately after spraying and it cleans right up. Easy as pie.

aghost, thanks, glad you like it.

Last edited by LBJ; 05-07-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:53 PM
BJ64

I've used 'Windex' with good success to thin water-based acrylics for airbrush use.

I used to use Metho (denatured alcohol), but the pigment in some WBA's will separate (and you have to pull everything apart to get the gunk out )

BJ
Old 05-09-2014, 11:38 PM
cosmo21

It looks like I cant get a controller unit for the ESM G3 elect retracts, Troy built have not replied to me. Is this usual?
So the paper weights ie gear will be going back to the fella who sold them to me and he'll refund some $$. So I'll look at getting the robart gear, pneumatic set. Do the Topflight 1/5 Corsair gear fit? are these the 148 Robarts?
I know Ive read in this forum somewhere what blokes are using, just cant find it.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Matt
Old 05-10-2014, 02:21 AM
BJ64

Dude - what sort of controller are you after?

HobbyKing have an excellent "sequencer", so I've been told.

Worth a look?

BJ
Old 05-10-2014, 02:42 AM
cosmo21

Its where the retracts plug into which then plugs into the rx. The gears are "dumb" ie only receive power. The signal comes from the controller. Looks like a large Y lead.

Matt
Old 05-10-2014, 02:50 AM
BJ64

Uhuh - so it's a gear door/gear sequencer you are after?

BJ
Old 05-10-2014, 02:55 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cosmo
Call Bruce Sanders or email him at Century Jet Models. He can solve your issue with several different options. He is retrofitting ESM retracts with new motors, gearboxes and controllers as well as making a complete line of electric gear for ESM planes.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:54 AM
LBJ

Robart 150's will fit. Get the Byron models. These are good for up to 40 lb planes. Robart has a discount going now. Now you can get 20 percent off. These gear will be $384 vs $481. Not a bad deal.

http://robart.com/collections/gear-f...byron-iron-bay
Old 05-10-2014, 04:39 PM
LBJ

I ordered an 88" wing bag this week from Hobby Pak for the Corsair. I had too many projects going to make one, so I ordered one I saw at the field. Its HUGE! But well made and fairly inexpensive at $75 on sale now. But, the best part is that it also fits my 93" TBM Zero wing. I glued the outer panels on to make it more solid. Yes, that's a huge wing. Bag is rated at 88" but obviously can handle more. It's almost 24" tall.

This a nice wing bag. For your information.

One bag for all your warbirds with large wings with this one. I cannot use it on my CMP Zero since it has Spring Aire retracts which are down all the time without air pressure. But good for the rest of them

http://www.hobby-pak.com/index.php/i...3a84de31379b6#

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.