RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   New 81" P-47 ARF coming from Hangar 9 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/3205356-new-81%22-p-47-arf-coming-hangar-9-a.html)

pdubree 11-19-2007 09:25 PM

RE: New 81" P-47 ARF coming from Hangar 9

G-Pete. Great Flying bird. Question: Did the german ever capture a p-47? If so was not aware of this.Or did you just apply the german scheme. Either way the airplane looks tremendous. I'am currently working on the TF 85"P-47 as my winter project. Should be flying by springs.

R/C Foolish 11-19-2007 09:31 PM

DON'T DO IT, it would be worse than a G-26.

R/C Foolish

flaviosi 11-19-2007 10:47 PM

Hi, R/C,

DON'T DO IT, it would be worse than a G-26.
Is it real bad with the G26? That would be my second choice... :(

And what should I use? It MUST be gas. I hate the idea of all that glow oil making a mess on my retracts and all... :)

Please, help me!

Flavio

Chad Veich 11-19-2007 10:53 PM

I've flown one with a G-26 and my opinion is that it's not enough. I'm not generally a big fan of rocket ship like warbirds, preferring instead good, solid, scale type performance. The G-26 did not offer that level of performance in my opinion. I'm putting together one right now that will use a G-38 and I'm hoping that will be adequate. Just my .02 cents.

Tisoy909 11-20-2007 12:03 AM

Just had a question for you guys, if you can help me out on this, I have just completed the swap for my Jug and have the Evo 35GT installed now. The concern is I found that this is a lot more nose heavy than I had anticipated, and in order to get away without adding lead to the tail in order to maintain CG. The only way i found is to Install my 4500mah rx pack would be in the empty area just behind the tail wheel. I roughly measured this and found i would need about 24" inches of extension. Would that length make any problems such as too much resistance or a power drain for that pack for any reason? Aside from that i dont have any additional weight up front, in fact the ignition battery is a very light lipo in the stock battery pack location. I was just so surprised how far i would have to send the pack back in order to get the right CG. The only other option would be to add lead in the tail and put the pack somewhere in the fuselage half way back. Whats your guys opinion on this. thanks for the help in advance.
Louis.

Der Goetz 11-20-2007 02:34 AM

Heya Loius,

As I wrote only a few posts above, I placed both ignition and flight LiPo packs in the back, using the same motor you do plus that heavy TruTurn Spinner.
And no, there is no such thing as cable length issues, don't let anyone talk you into such "nonsense".

If you are flying on 2.4 GHz, you can move your iginition pack towards the back as well. You should end up with both packs just around that exhaust cap, half way to the tail assembly.

Br,

Götz

R/C Foolish 11-20-2007 02:37 AM

I have the Evolution 35 in mine and it flies great. I didn't have to add any lead just put my batteries to the rear of the cockpit. Keep in mind that this plane usually needs down trim on maiden takeoff, so you want it a little nose heavy.

R/C Foolish

Der Goetz 11-20-2007 02:53 AM

Hmmm...I would recommend adding down thrust.
As can be read in this looong thread, some of the planes come with 0 (Zero) degrees of down-thrust, some have a little bit of down thrust build into the firewall.
I added 2 degrees by adding washers, everythign is now dialed in perfect and I do not loose the ability of full control during landing.

Best regards,

Götz

Tisoy909 11-20-2007 05:08 AM

Hey thanks for the reply guys, I went ahead and began making a hatch location bout an inch aft of the rear tail wheel, unlike a few here that went with seperate packs for the gear operation, i elected to go with one heavier 4.8V JR 4500 mah pack to handle all the servo and radio operations, its a heavy pack so I was surprised it needs to go that far back, ill work a 24" batt extension so this can work. With regards to downthrust, well if i were to eyeball the flat surface on top of the fuse where the cockpit section attaches, relative to the prop it would seem there is somewhat of a noticeable downthrust, how would i best determine, this, otherwise, if i were to compare the motor mount box surface to the actual firewall behind, i dont notice a difference when this is viewed from the side of course.
thanks everyone.
Louis

Tisoy909 11-20-2007 08:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay im back, lol Well im gonna just follow up my last post with another problem ive driven myself into. Im going to need peoples expert advise on this one. As i said in my previous post, i placed my JR 4500 mah pack in the rear area of the Jug, now im concerned im too tail heavy, and it was a pain to get it in there so here goes.

The first pic shows the balance of the jug inverted at the factory called for 6 1/8" inch location, as you can see its tail sagging,

Now in the second picture, you can see its slight tail up and how i would like it to be preferably. The second pic is with the inverted stool leg at approximately one half inch 1/2" aft of the factory called for cg. Whats your opinion on this? should i take the sucker out now and get it optimum or will this suffice for practicality? Thanks again for everyone who has contributed to my success with this project. BTW the 3rd pic, although blurry just shows the setup i use to balance, dont laugh, but it sufficed for my previous projects, the leg tips are nice and rounded and not too rough on the balsa sheeted wing.
Thanks to all again,
Louis

flaviosi 11-20-2007 09:08 AM

Hi, R/C,

I have the Evolution 35 in mine and it flies great.
So, the Evo 35 is the way to go, huh? Is it truely reliable? No deadstick landings? I have a Fuij 32 and it's a great engine. Unfortunately it doesn't fit on the P-47 nor on the TF Staggerwing.

Please, could you tell me the distance between the back of the engine and the prop hub? Maybe I'll use it on the P-47 and on the TF Staggerwing...

Also, what kind of Lipo you use? Did you just changed the connector in to a Futaba type one?

Flavio

flaviosi 11-20-2007 09:12 AM

Louis,

dont laugh, but it sufficed for my previous projects, the leg tips are nice and rounded and not too rough on the balsa sheeted wing.
Although it's kinda funny, I won't laugh... :) It's a very neat idea and I'll copy that! :)

Flavio

G-Pete 11-21-2007 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: pdubree
G-Pete. Great Flying bird. Question: Did the german ever capture a p-47? If so was not aware of this.Or did you just apply the german scheme. Either way the airplane looks tremendous. I'am currently working on the TF 85"P-47 as my winter project. Should be flying by springs.
Yes they did, several of them. Most of them were painted halfway yellow to inform the attelerie is a german aircraft. They were not intend to fly in service and battle, the german engineers flu this plane an figured out what are the weak points are.

Happy landings

G-Pete

G-Pete 11-21-2007 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Tisoy909
Okay im back, lol Well im gonna just follow up my last post with another problem ive driven myself into. Im going to need peoples expert advise on this one. As i said in my previous post, i placed my JR 4500 mah pack in the rear area of the Jug, now im concerned im too tail heavy, and it was a pain to get it in there so here goes.
The first pic shows the balance of the jug inverted at the factory called for 6 1/8" inch location, as you can see its tail sagging,
Now in the second picture, you can see its slight tail up and how i would like it to be preferably. The second pic is with the inverted stool leg at approximately one half inch 1/2" aft of the factory called for cg. Whats your opinion on this? should i take the sucker out now and get it optimum or will this suffice for practicality? Thanks again for everyone who has contributed to my success with this project. BTW the 3rd pic, although blurry just shows the setup i use to balance, dont laugh, but it sufficed for my previous projects, the leg tips are nice and rounded and not too rough on the balsa sheeted wing.
Thanks to all again,
Louis

Louis,

My first flights were a little tail heavy and i wish i haven't done it. This plane needs to be a tad nose heavy. My CG is on 5.875 (5 7/8)inch, with this CG the plane flies straight and level. It has no tendencies to elevate or decent by throttle up or down (and I have plenty throttle up). This tells also the thrust angle is perfect.

With the CG there the plane settles for landing nicely in and approach is in one line. As i said before she flies very stable and hands off.

I would not recommend to take this baby up tail heavy...

Happy landings

G-Pete

Der Goetz 11-21-2007 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Tisoy909

well if i were to eyeball the flat surface on top of the fuse where the cockpit section attaches, relative to the prop it would seem there is somewhat of a noticeable downthrust, how would i best determine, this, otherwise, if i were to compare the motor mount box surface to the actual firewall behind, i dont notice a difference when this is viewed from the side of course.

heya Louis!

Put the fuse on a stand orsupport it to where the elevator is at 0 degrees.

Now fit a long enough tube over the shaft of the engine and measure the downthrust.

Cheers

Götz

BobH 11-21-2007 10:34 AM

I need to buy some servos for my sons H-9 P-47. He already has the JR Retract servos so I'm just looking for the control surfaces. Thanks and happy thanksgiving!

G-Pete 11-22-2007 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Louis,

that's how I balance my airplanes. I don't flip them inverted - for me they fly most of the time upright so i balance the aircraft upright.

G-Pete 11-22-2007 03:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the setup for the JR servos, highly recommend the metal horns. Some pages back someone drilled a hole in the block which holds the strut. Tapping a short 4/40 in there to secure the landing gear from turning. The shot was taken shortly before applying blue thread locker.

G-Pete 11-22-2007 03:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an idea for transporting the plane, simple and inexpensive. This is pretty much build around the airplane during the build. The crate makes it possible to lay the plane to the side without hurting the balsa or coat.

G-Pete 11-22-2007 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
.....and finally...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Whistling Death 11-22-2007 05:56 PM

G-Pete your bird is spooky looking!

Tisoy909 11-22-2007 11:55 PM

Dr Goetz and G-pete,
Thank you very much for the help and advice which youve provided, im going to be making measurements and adjustments accordingly. G-pete, I really enjoyed your last video, you've done an awesome job on that captured p-47 scheme, and your method of doing c.g. balancing is really nice. where can i get a balancer like, that, it looks almost custom, did you make this yourself? if not where can i get one. As far as c.g setting and the advice you gave, i've decided to move the pack even futher forward. The funny thing is that when i first did balancing (inverted method) it took the pack all the way to the rear of the tail wheel to balance, once i built a small support base for the battery and closed it all up, it was way tell heavy, so i moved it under the hatch of the tail wheel, and again building a base and support to permit function of the tailwheel/rudder and again the damn thing was still tail heavy lol. Finally i built a flat area and support inside the fuse itself just forward of the tail wheel hatch and up near the ceiling and inserted the battery on that built up base and placed from within the radio compartment. i got c.g. maybe an 1/8th of an inch forward of factory c.g. whew, just reading this was long, and building all these useless battery supports was a waste, maybe they can serve as camera mounts in the future who knows lol. but finally got it down. anyhow, we are almost there and thanks for your inputs on my problem. and finally. happy thanksgiving over there yall.
Louis

Flyjets 11-23-2007 07:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tisoy909

Just use your fingertips and use the stock CG for starters. The plane is just about perfect at this location.

Regardless of inverted or upright the CG will remain the same. The Gear up or down on the P-47 doesn't seem to change the CG Moment.

Regarding weight some have flown very heavy Models it's still best if the weight can be kept below 18lbs to 19lbs. This will give you very good Vertical Performance.

Here is a Video of a lite P-47 I built a while back. This one uses numerous Carbon Fiber components aka Wing and Stab Tubes.

One Last point all the level flying is done at 1/2 Throttle stick only on the Vertical up lines is full power used.

http://media.putfile.com/Ian-Turner-P-47

Ian

Tisoy909 11-23-2007 07:36 AM

Ian,
Wow, that thing is awesome man, it literally leapt into the sky. as for my p-47, yeah i got it to pretty much c.g. now, it was a total hassle to get there though lol. But im feeling confident now with this setting , i even worked on a way to get the lateral balance centered as well, and will do a final weight check before i take her up on maiden. I'm just curious though, about your 220, i have also done the H9 150 Mustang but havent flown it yet either been doing more building than flying since May, i used the 220 on the mustang project, question is, as far as your starting and idle, do you use a remote glow? the hobby shop here got me into buying this Xpert remote glow setup for it, and 4.8v 2100 mah pack, but seems like it doesnt make the idle quite as nice, and startups still difficult, as compared to a regular nicad glow starter attached, question is, do you use remote glow on your 220, do i really even need it? Idling is a lil difficult right now but i know its just because its still breaking in and of course inverted, whats your take on this? ok gotta jam, got some leftover turkey to work on here, lol but ill be back and thanks in advance for the help and that awesome video too.
take cares.
Louie

Flyjets 11-23-2007 07:43 AM

Louie

I do use Remote Glow anything below 4 clicks turns mine on.

I find the inverted Saito Motors really idle lower and smoother with the ignition or glow on.

When the motor is mounted sideways or any other way other then inverted you don't need an ignition.

The Expert system works well I have used several in the Past when the motor is tuned properly she should start and run very smoothly.

Personally I find the Saito 220 to be very smooth and not at all the Thirsty Beast some describe.

GPete Just watched your latest Video Looks good **************

Ian