RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   WILLHOBBY FW 190 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/6429858-willhobby-fw-190-build.html)

jlarsen168 02-02-2008 10:45 PM

RE: WILLHOBBY FW 190 Build

No I should have thought it out better.I had allready bought the pilot before the cockpit.He is epoxyd to a block epoxyd to the seat.

jlarsen168 02-03-2008 12:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So the stirean didnt hold up so good when I clamped down the canopy with epoxy.It started to crack and chip.So now that the canopy is on and I have sanded down the entire fuse with 220.I will glass the whole piece of stirean up to the original canopy.Before I mess around any more I am going to put my controll rods in.Cut my guns down a bit so that my cowl fits then I will be ready to start with the blue color on the bottom.

PSJDBF 02-03-2008 01:24 AM

Looking Good John, Pilot looks as though he's ready to go now though!.:D

jlarsen168 02-03-2008 02:24 AM

Thanks Steffan!!!

jlarsen168 02-03-2008 03:18 PM

I want to make an appoligie to TDIFAN for walking over his thread.

KentuckyColonel 02-05-2008 12:28 AM

Great news. My plane is finally on the way. Only been a month since I won the ebay auction........
Now, time to order the Pitts muffler, air retracts, cockpit kit, servos.............

tdifan 02-05-2008 01:06 AM

JohnL, I could not be happier to see the masterbuilders at work. I truly enjoy watching your guys' progress. I can hardly wait for you guys to get to the retracts part and how you get it all set up. I am lightyears behind your building skills, but enjoy reading every little bit of it. As I said, my garage is below 40, too damn cold to work in. I hope by the time it gets warmer you get to the retracts and I can see how you solve this puzzle piece. I hope it is not going to cost me 300 bucks and then i have to do mods on top of that. I would rather choose to send the 190 out to you and hope you would find time to set it up for me and charge me for it.
Anyway, no worries JL, I do appreciate your guys' building advice and it is very educational and I am not easily bothered by stuff.
Keep on going and keep showing these beautiful pictures. I love the cockpit and pilot set, It is very very nicely done. Keep up the good work. How much longer do you think until it is flight ready?
:)

fw190a8 02-05-2008 07:14 PM

Hey jlarsen168 ... did you also get the "KMP FW190 Tail Retract"?

jlarsen168 02-05-2008 08:19 PM

No I didnt.I am looking at another option for the tail wheel.I havnt orderd the mains yet eather I have to wait a week or so.

LDM 02-05-2008 08:26 PM

Hey Jl , I have been on the road and I know you owe you the pics but I have been traveling on Business . So far my aquired parts are the sierra FW190 retracts , will post pics when I arrive home .Then I picked up a Z-26 EI(today ) for the business end of this baby . It give me the range in props and option to go three blade if desired .
Next I will budget for the tail wheel , interior and servos .
I think as far as the build I will start with the retracts and the pull the covering off and glass the wings .
Hope to start this project in the next few weeks , just finishing my Great Planes F14 .

jlarsen168 02-05-2008 08:33 PM

Hey Lou, thats cool man life happens.I am also thinking of glassing the wings,wonder if I could use the cloth fabrick that is on as the fiber for the glass??? John L.

jlarsen168 02-05-2008 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I was really unhappy with the stirean.So I used 3 layers of glass,evan got rid of the seam where the two joined.Here is a couple of pics.There is a couple of pockets but to me it gives it more reality.

LDM 02-05-2008 09:22 PM

John , dont really know , I guess it would work but I dont think you would get the strength like you would from glass .

fw190a8 02-06-2008 12:00 PM

I was thinking of just sanding my wings down lightly and use the existing as the base coat.....just like they did for the real fw190 ...ha ha...then spray paint from a can....Or try using latex paint...have not decided yet..

LDM 02-06-2008 04:11 PM

you know a ton of them were rebuild ,

fw190a8 02-06-2008 11:13 PM

Hey LDM we are all left in suspence waiting to see the retracts.:D

I just got a G26 also but mine is the Magneto version. I ran it for the first time this weekend.
It uses two 12v, 7 amp gel cels in parallel or series with a miller RC electric starter. I bet yours can be hand flipped.
Its on a Kangke Monocoupe.
Makes lots of power with an Master Airscrew 16x10.
This is my test bird for the engine.
Its my first gas engine.

Your going to like that G26 on the fw190.

LDM 02-07-2008 06:48 AM

thanks FW , I will be back in town on Friday and will settle in a post some pics . I think based on the lenght of the Sierra they will fit with ease . I want to see where the wheels end up and the total gear vs the CJ , as we all know these planes need nose weight so I may go with scale wheels assumuming the gear and this is an easy asumption will lay ahead of th CJ .
I heard good things about the G26 EI , I was going to look at a Fuji but tower was no help on there suggestions , they said" we dont make 70 to 73" warbirds in that range so we cant help you , I think the B32ei , would have been my choice on Fuji but the G26 was my call and I felt it had a better track record . Got my robart air accesories , so all I need is a good servo package , then ordering the interios that JL suggested and a pilot , I am going with a full body and sliding canopy , I think I will tie to the gear and have the canopy slide with the gear up

tdifan 02-07-2008 11:07 AM

Hey fw190a8 I hope you have replaced all the fuel lines for gas use. the nitro fuel lines will fail if used with gas. Gas can potentially dissolve them.

fw190a8 02-07-2008 06:47 PM

Yes thks for the tip, all the tubing is for gas. I even soldered fuel line barbs on the ends of my tank so the lines won't slip off.

KentuckyColonel 02-07-2008 08:38 PM

I'm still waiting on my plane, but just ordered a Robart spring/air system. Robostruts, cockpit kit, Pitts muffler. Spent more money today than I did on the plane..... I am looking forward to getting started on the plane, which UPS Scanned out of Illinois today. I guess Mr. WillHobby.com asked them to take the long route from NY to Southern California!

PSJDBF 02-08-2008 10:08 AM

My plane arrived today....8 days late so it seems these willhobby 190's don't like couriers.
It seems that they are being sold as Pacific models Fw190 kits over here ?.
Its been put away for now ...I've been told I have to finish the other planes first.
Finished my SE5a today ...Maiden tomorrow and have a GeeBee R2 (Chrissy present ) to finish so I'll watch and learn as you guys continue
your bash.
Steffan.

KentuckyColonel 02-08-2008 03:31 PM

UPS says, "Adverse weather conditions" have held up my plane somewhere between Illinois and here in Southern California. Seems that after dealing with a less than honorable dealer, now even God is messing with me and keeping my plane out there in limbo somewhere! But, the longer it takes to get here, the longer I have to study the posts on this thread. (seeing a Silver lining??)

LDM 02-09-2008 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well here is the boring pictures of the Jettech FW190 /CMP copy :DIts looks like a CMP , smell like a CMP but it had split flaps !!!hahaha
You can see the Sierra Fw190 gear , plenty of room to do the gear in the correct manner , existing rails wont work , no biggie , I dont knwo what size wheels I want at this time but I know they will come close to the center wing rib "as scale as possible "

jlarsen168 02-09-2008 07:35 PM

Awsome Lou!!!Is the wing built up or foam???

LDM 02-09-2008 09:37 PM

Its build up -not fully sheeted I plane on leaving the covering on while building and bashing the wing , then when I am done I am going to sheet the openings and either glass the wing or look at Flite Skin as an option .
THe fuse rear area about one inch below the tail has paint cracks so i am glad my plan was to paint , sand and repaint .
I think I am going to take a major plunge into cutting the rear fuse top deck and make it retract with the canopy when the gear retracts . I made this decision because I just dont like the typical flex in these Chinese fiberglass fuses , so while I have the deck off I will reinforce the internal wall of the fuse .
Any ideas on a good wheel size ??? I am looking for williams brother smooth contour wheels .
Also this plane has the retract rails somewhat further back then desireable then it show them retracting on a forward angle , I think the FW is a straight shot , no angle as far as its placemnet on the wing ?--is that correct in my assumption .
I am not talking about the forward angle while extened or the very obviuos angle when looking at the gear from the front of the plane I am simply talking about the appearance of the gear while retracted in the wing