RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   WILLHOBBY FW 190 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/6429858-willhobby-fw-190-build.html)

jlarsen168 01-26-2008 09:39 PM

RE: WILLHOBBY FW 190 Build

LDM, yeah I am going to eat the re-stock fee and order the KMP ones just the re-tracks are 270.00 but it will save me a lot of work on something that in the end would not work.Are the KMP sierra's the same sierra's you orderd???

jlarsen168 01-26-2008 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So here are the pics of the upper dash and gunsite I havnt put the lenses in yet.

hellcat56 01-27-2008 12:05 AM

I dont know where the weight comes from
with the G 26 I have NO nose weight
it has a foam wing
BUT
what are your planes weighing
On the gear
I had CJ-NEVER again there are a lot of places to save money
Retracts is not one of them
a weak or bad gear will drive you nuts
I will only buy Robart-Shindlin (Darrell) or Serria gear
my gear is 11 1/4 from top to bottom of the wheel
the height looks about right-but I do not have the correct kant to the gear

The G-26 flies at a little over half throttle and goes plenty fast
this planes lands and takes off like a dream for a tail dragger
hellcat56

LDM 01-27-2008 06:48 AM

hellcat great info , I have a seafury (virtually the same layout out as a Fw190 and I had to add 12oz after adding a giant battery to then nose , so the larger engine may be the trick .
JL , Yes I order ---- sierra gear --that is designed for the KMP Fw190 , the only reason mine totaled at $344 was I had a gift card and splurge for the spings and door holders(I useually build my own ):D
Hellcat I cant tell you the length of my legs yet , I should bet them by weeks end or the following based on Sierras schedule .
I am going to play with a scale gear leg added based around a simple robart hinge , when I get to that point I will post pics .

JL nice interior is this listed as a 1/5 version ? I cant seem to find it as a 1/6

PSJDBF 01-27-2008 08:59 AM

Guess I better order some sierra retracts then going by the comments and advice (while I still have some money and the wife & kids are away ).
I,ll take it on the chin when she returns.
Cheers Steffan.

LDM 01-27-2008 09:38 AM

Steff , I know what you mean , I tell my hey some guys go to the strip club [X(], so I go to the hobby shop :eek:

jlarsen168 01-27-2008 11:33 AM

Hey LOU, Yeah the cockpit is a 1/5th scale but for 1/5th it fits realy good.If you want to use whole thing order a full figure pilot.I bought the half bust before I knew what the cockpit was going to be so I half to build a balsa floor for the bust.The only thing is that the rear cockpit wall is the only thing that doesnt fit!!!Thanks for getting me squared away on the tracks!!! JOHN L

jlarsen168 01-27-2008 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So here is the pics of the lower panel.Instead of using a solid backer for the instraments to go on I made the same holes in the backer as in the panels. this is if I want to get funky with it I can put a 9 volt battery with a small light behind the dash.Holding the panels to the light makes it look like it they are indevidualy lit.Awsome for those cloudy days.Here is also another pic of the instructions.Remember guys I have the seat,floor board and rear cockpit panel.They are all scale as the real plane cockpit.If anybody wants,just pay the shiping!!!

LDM 01-27-2008 05:46 PM

nice job JL , thanks for the tip on 1/5 scale , now I know what to look for .

PSJDBF 01-27-2008 05:58 PM

Does anyone have any comments or had any experience with the Behotec range of retracts and struts.
Cheers steffan.

http://www.altecare.com/retracts.htm

LDM 01-27-2008 07:06 PM

No , but i like what i see on that site , I do think that there was a few post on RCU and the pilot was disappointed only on the complexity of the set up vs some of the more user friendly US systems

PSJDBF 01-28-2008 04:04 PM

Hi all.
I just received two e-mails from skyshark one saying that they do'nt post to Australia anymore and the second refunding my money.
I had purchased the three blade Fw190D spinner off them.
What spinners are you all using ?....does anyone know of any other makes that are the correct shape/size or is some one in the States willing to post one to me ?.
Cheers And all the best Steffan.

jlarsen168 01-28-2008 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
PSJDBF, The spinner that most people are using is the FW 190 D-9 one from skyshark.I will do that for you.PM me and I will give you the address to ship and I will need yours to send to you.Here are the pics of main parts installed for the cockpit

PSJDBF 01-28-2008 06:29 PM

Cheers for that jiarsen.
Cockpit is looking Good !.;)
Have you Decided on a Paint scheme?.

jlarsen168 01-28-2008 09:17 PM

No I havnt decided.I do not think I am going to paint it like an illustration but i will do main gray,bottom blue,light green for the fade to the top dark green and then black green.It will have yellow wing v,fuse stripe and yellow rudder.With yellow numbers and arrows.

LDM 01-28-2008 09:39 PM

Jl very cool , really looking good , your turning this plane into a gem , it was a real barker out of the box , great job

jlarsen168 01-28-2008 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok so I dont want to be known as a indien giver.Once I put the sides in the cockpit I found that I could use the floor and seat and I trimmed the rear wall and it fit good.So all the people that read I had extra parts I am sorry!!!Here is the cockpit the only thing I have to do is the canopy crank and the controll stick and the levers.

jlarsen168 01-28-2008 09:45 PM

LDM, Thanks still have a long way to go.

ticketec 01-28-2008 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Jlarsen168,

Your cockpit is looking great! might have to look into one of the cockpit sets myself for the sides and seat that i still have to do.

The fuselage lower portions are painted in the same colour as the undersides of the aircraft which is RLM 76.

If you thinking of doing the light green/dark green combination then it's most likely to be RLM 82/83 scheme.

This is a great link and i use it a fair bit when selecting a colour scheme:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorch...ts_germany.htm

And i have attached a fewe schemes to see if your thinking of these late war schemes.

thanks

dave

jlarsen168 01-28-2008 10:01 PM

Thanks Dave,Coming from a master builder thats pretty cool.Like I told LDM a while ago I couldnt have done it with out your help.You can count on me asking a _)(&&)(^)^load of questons. Thanks again Dave, JOHN L

ticketec 01-28-2008 10:48 PM

ORIGINAL: PSJDBF

Hi all.
I just received two e-mails from skyshark one saying that they do'nt post to Australia anymore and the second refunding my money.
I had purchased the three blade Fw190D spinner off them.
What spinners are you all using ?....does anyone know of any other makes that are the correct shape/size or is some one in the States willing to post one to me ?.
Cheers And all the best Steffan.

That's really odd,

Your the second bloke in Oz who they have refused to send items too...... I have both the 2 blade and the 3 blade spinners from them and they shipped them out no dramas, the 3 blade one i bought about 5 months ago. My 2 blade one will be up for sale oncei get the first few flights in and am happy with the 3 blade performance. could be a little while:eek:.

Thanks

dave

jlarsen168 01-29-2008 02:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I did the armor plate-headrest.The one they sent wasnt wide enough or long enough so I broke out my square toothpicks and made longer wider sides.The said to atatch it to the canopy but I think they were on a 4:20 lunch break!!!

ticketec 01-29-2008 03:01 AM

shucks, your making me blush:)

Thanks mate, i'm no master modeller, but i hope to get there some day. would love to represent Australia in scale comps, but still a fair bit off that level.

actually on a good note i have just been commissioned by my day job to build them a sizable display model. nothing too exciting, just a trash haul'er (AKA: target)

For the gents who have ordered the gun blisters, they are ready to be shipped![8D] Sorry it took this long but we had a long weekend here in Brisbane and the pos office only opened up today. The shipping cost to the US is $11 and for Australia it's $6, please let me know when you paypal the funds through so i know when to ship the kit out.

Thanks

Dave

LDM 01-29-2008 05:19 PM

Jl great job , I was going to tell you to send the pics to Wills , but there off ebay because of there bad rep :D, keep up the good work you and Dave are great inspirations on your bashes , both planes look great .
I printing out pages from both builds

KentuckyColonel 01-29-2008 05:50 PM

So, after my little fiasco with the ebay willhobby guy, I pretty much talked myself out of the FW 190 and into another P-51. But, after sticking to this thread and seeing the progress you guys are making, my FW 190 urge is coming back..... And I did find a place local to pick one up at......