RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/7644110-complete-yellow-aircraft-spitfire-thread.html)

Shaun Evans 07-24-2011 08:31 PM

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Ed,

Give me a call. I'll give you a bereavement discount. Sorry to hear about your crash! I'm curious about what kind of glue you used? I've got some pretty heavy cloth on the center (out to the wheel wells) but normal stuff (1.5) on the rest.

Flyfast1 07-24-2011 08:45 PM

Thanks Ron,

I really enjoyed that plane, so it is a shame. I was having a great day of flying up to that point. She was really screaming and then Pow, it was over so fast I couldn't believe it. You feel pretty helpless in situations like that...

I didn't realize that the stock build had a weak point in the wing. Luckily there is a documented solution that I will incorporate into the replacement. I am trying to keep a positive attitude and it gets easier each day. I've got all the pieces on a table and will leave it set for a week and then continue on.

Now I really need a copy of that DVD!

-Ed

Brad330l 07-25-2011 03:56 AM

Oh Flyfast this is indeed horrible news. I cant imagine how you feel, I felt bad enough after loosing my canopy!:(
Good on you for getting another one and please build it right here to show how you do things so others might follow.
Does any one think it is time to contact the manufacturers and give them a heads up on this situation? It could come down to a safety issue???? Duty of care????
We could direct them here and show them a fix. I would not like to hear a report that a Yellow Spitfire had a wing let go and hurt some one.
Could you please post some pictures of the wing damage Flyfast?

With me I am waiting on my canopy to arrive before I fly mine again.

Cheers, i've had a drink for you,

Brad

Flyfast1 07-25-2011 10:48 AM

I placed my order this morning and a new kit is on its way. Shaun, thank you for the kind offer, but I had already placed the order with Charles this morning before I checked this thread.

I don't recall what type of glue was used since it has been a few years since it was built, but I know the cloth was pretty light and there was no wing spar modification. I plan on adding a full spar and using heavier cloth on the new one. On the bottom, I'll probably use 2 ounce cloth from the outside of each wheel well to the opposite tip, so that it will be four ounces in the middle. I don't think the extra weight will be a problem and I plan to remove some weight from the tail so that I'll be able to offset any increase in weight attributable to the new spar and heavier cloth by removing lead from the nose. I'll post some pictures of the remains when I get a chance.

Does anyone have a recommended source for good three view drawings of a Spitfire Mk. XIVe?

Thanks,

-Ed B.

P4Patti 07-28-2011 03:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Brad

Thought you might be interested to see the spinner that Richard has just made for his CompARF Spitty. The back plate was cnc cut from 6mm aluminium and the spinner was drawn up in Rhino then cut from the machinable wax. A 2 part mould was made and then layed up with 2 layers 200g cloth, the layers overlapped 45 deg. The pattern for the cloth to fit perfectly into the mould without overlap was again done in Rhino with a command called Smash. The spinner was divided up into 6 segments and the segment is smashed to lay flat like a 2D pattern piece with minimum distortion.

The back plate and the spinner were aligned in the lathe and 6 locating screws drilled and tapped while in alignment. It worked really well and came out extremely light - very necessary for the electric set up. Its AUW looks like being about 38lb and powered by a Hacker A-100 (rated to 10hp but propped here to around 4hp).

The exhaust stack was also made starting with a Rhino 3D drawing, cut in wax, moulded and then each piece cast in easy cast with pigment. The maiden is coming soon.

Bummer you didn't retrieve you canopy.

cheers
Patti

Brad330l 07-28-2011 03:49 AM

Awesome work as usual Patti and Richard. Thanks for posting that here as I would love to make a complete new spinner for my Spitfire. I feel the shape of mine is lacking somewhat and I think it has runout in it,,, but still to be proved with the next engine run I get to do. (very busy at the moment)

Might even put my order in for a custom Patti spinner??;):D

Cheers,

Brad

hellcat56 07-28-2011 06:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Flypast
you were coming out of a loop at full power and the wing failed

just a question to others out there
I usually retard the throttle on the down side of a loop or split S

What do you other guys do??

PS never had a wing failure been flying my yellow spit for about 5+ years G-62 powered

Flyfast1 07-29-2011 09:51 PM

Hi Hellcat,

Actually, I had completed a 1/2 cuban eight and was pulling out of the downward leg, so I don't think there was as much stress as a regular loop. I always pull back the throttle on a loop, but this was, I think, a less stressful maneuver. I am on the road, but will post some pictures this weekend. My next Yellow spit will have a much stronger spar.

You have a nice Spitfire! The cockpit door and detail looks great!

-Ed B.

Brad330l 07-30-2011 03:57 AM

Yes Hellcat,, that is one fine looking Spitfire. The weathering is great and it must be good and easy to see with those invasion stripes.
I'll check back and see what engine you have.

Cheers,

Brad

hellcat56 07-30-2011 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
mine has a G 62
homemade muffler
90 degree turn on the carb

Brad330l 08-06-2011 06:33 AM

I received my canopies off Leo,,,, thanks mate they look excellent.
I am however going overseas for a couple of weeks (how will I survive without you all??:) ) so will get stuck into it when I get back.

Oh and I expect some more Spitfire movements while I am away.;)

Cheers guys,

Brad

spitfire mk.xiv 08-13-2011 11:13 PM

hi , report from Norway, the spit is great, have some 30-40 flights now. Yesterday great flying conditions ....
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp8fcvsDEn8&feature=feedu[/link]
As you see some maintenance at the sliding canopy is necessary.
The video was taken with a Ipad.
Sorry for the bad sound, the mic was damage.

John

NB. The 26-28 august the "WarbirdWeekend 2011" at our airfield...[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
[link]http://www.scalewarbird.org/[/link]
A ok film from WarbirdWeekend 2009....
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itaIntL7WRA&feature=channel_page[/link]

fytrjok 08-17-2011 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all! I just wanted to present this effort that I finished last week. With any luck it'll maiden this weekend. It has a ZDZ 50NG that has been giving me fits...low end won't tune. I've made some gaskets for the new carb...hopefully that will solve the problem. I certainly don't want to fly her with a questionable engine. I utilized this thread liberally and want to thank all those builders who contributed to the wealth of info found here. One thing I wanted to share was how I accessed the choke on a rear carb type engine without using another channel/servo. I'll explain it and post some pics next.

fytrjok 08-17-2011 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Inside the utility hatch you'll see the pushrod. It's connected to a length of flexrod routed to the choke...a simple push/pull system. ..no need for an extra servo/channel. I also used rare earth magnets to hold the canopy closed. We'll see if that works. The color scheme blends with the evening sky during photo-recon missions. I'll post some flying pics hopefully next week!

vasek 08-18-2011 01:04 AM

She's a beauty all right!

Good luck with the engine tuning.

kenair 08-18-2011 02:57 AM

Great looking bird, and super idea on the rear choke. Thanks for sharing. - ken

kevinkenny 08-23-2011 05:42 AM

Is this thread still active? I am considering buying a Spitfire from Yellow Aircraft this week and wondered if there was any advice?
Some of the specific question is what should I order on the first go around?
I am particually interested in which retracts I should Buy?Centry Jet, Robert or their retracts?
Also I see that a number of people modified the fuselage?

Kevin

lbscottsdale 08-23-2011 09:31 AM

Kevin

Welcome... afew of us are still building personally I am in the painting stage and waiting for the winds to drop here in Northern Arizona!!! Most of the "advice" can be found by reading thru the thread from the beginning... a long read. Personally i used the retracts supplied by YA with no installation or operational problems. Modifying the fuse depends on whether you want to build the standard or "Bubble canopy" version. The rear retract is a little "high" to clear the elevator push rod but it can be done... other rear retracts are "lower" and easier for the push rod install Engine is up to you but having installed a DA50 my opinion is that the 3W would be a better choice as the exhaust installation is a tad easier due to the angled flange on the 3W... enough... just my opinion.. have a good read and welcome to the thread

Len

Ron101 08-23-2011 10:15 AM

Fytrjok,
great job on your Spit... she looks really nice

kevinkenny 08-23-2011 11:17 AM

Thanks Len
I already have a DA50 so that the engine that I will use.

Kevin

kevinkenny 08-23-2011 04:06 PM

by the way Len
What size servos are the majority of builders using. I have been going through the thread but have not seen anything on servo choice. I have a preferance to Spektrum but was not sure how powerfull a servo I should get.I built a 1/3 Cub and used S-6030 which have 270ozs of torque.? I have a feeling that this is overkill?
Kevin

Growler84 08-24-2011 10:29 AM

These days we tend to lose perspective on required servo torque and go for the most powerful (and sometimes expensive) servos we can get. I offer the following as a reference point: I built my first Yellow Spitfire 15 years ago, it weighed 30 pounds as it was scaled out to compete with. It was equipped with JR-4001 coreless servos, which were rated at less than 50 oz of torque. My scale flight routine contained a loop and split-s, which were flown many, many times with 50 oz of power on the elevator.

I'm not saying go buy 47 oz Hitec 425s for your flight controls. A good quality 70-100 oz servo will more than meet your requirement. Personally, I use Hitec 645s on my 1/5th scale warbird flight controls.

fytrjok 08-24-2011 01:01 PM

Thanks for the kudos on the pink Spitfire! I wish I could give some info on the maiden but we have decided to reengine the bird with a DLE 55. I'm trying to get her done within the next week or two...and here I thought I was done....[:@]. By the way I used 5645's on the elevators and 645's on everything else.

lbscottsdale 08-24-2011 08:52 PM

Kevin

220oz torque is probably overkill!!! I am using JR 9411's (82oz) and 8411's (155 oz) and the latter are probably more than I need even on the elevator. The DA50 will work fine and there is an example of it's installation early in the thread using a shaft extension to move the engine rearward and it is rotated 10-15degrees in order to better cowl the engine and muffler. My installation is "in the breeze" which is OK by me but the muffler installation is very tight (pics in the thread)

Cheers

Len

PS "Pink Spit" is terrific.. great work..

kevinkenny 08-25-2011 07:21 AM

I ordered the plane with all his bells and whistles yesterday and expect to get it in a few weeks.  Trinidad is quite far from the USA. I also spoke to him about the many modifications that were being suggested on this forum and he indicated that the only modification he would recommend is slanting the main wheels forward to help prevent a nose over. I asked about the problem with cracking on the wing, and stiffening the joint between the wings,  along with the suggested beefing up of the retracts supports and he felt that was overkill. His comment was that there are people that will modify things because they like modifying their projects. <div>
<div>The only other comment he made was to keep the tail as light as possible. I will order some metal gear 180 oz Spektrum servos for the ailerons, tail and rudder and use my regular servos for the flaps and throttle control as i have a bunch of them.</div><div>Kevin</div></div>