RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   ESM Fairey Swordfish "Stringbag" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9035700-esm-fairey-swordfish-%22stringbag%22.html)

Destroyer of Airplanes 02-15-2014 10:15 PM

Trailer

1 Attachment(s)
Rats, I posted the wrong picture.

cdrc2004 02-22-2014 06:30 AM

Good to see the trailer photo but good to see another photo of your batt hatch too. So how's the weather for flying her???

Chris

Destroyer of Airplanes 02-22-2014 06:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Chris,

Still waiting on weather. Here is another shot of the hatch and how the battery packs fit in.

cdrc2004 05-10-2014 11:01 AM

Hi Paul,

Have you flown your Swordfish yet?

Chris

Destroyer of Airplanes 05-10-2014 07:32 PM

Chris,

Not yet. I tried last weekend and had Battery problems. I have a switch between the batteries and the ESC. When I threw the switch one of the batteries shorted out internally. I installed two new batteries. The same thing happened. Two of the brand new 5s x 5000 had internal shorts. I pulled the electrical system and ESC out of the plane. Everything there was correct. I knew better than to buy cheap batteries, but I did any way. Now I just need to get a stretch of good weather. Tomorrow is Mothers Day and predicted to be clear and 70 but also a no fly day.

Paul

glazier808 05-11-2014 10:46 AM

Paul,

Beautiful bash by the way! For battery's, you might look at Genisis battery's. I've been running them over the past year with great luck. Thunder power value at a lower cost.

Casey

cdrc2004 05-11-2014 12:19 PM

Yeah, I'm a Thunder Power guy but 2 5s won't be cheap.

Paul, would you rewind here to your post #464 about the Du Bro tail wheel? I bought the same kit as you. You say you mounted it to the plywood you fashioned. Were you still able to connect the wheel to the rudder arm as in the instructions? Also, will the fiberglass cover fit over the top of your plywood?

Thanks,

Chris

Destroyer of Airplanes 05-20-2014 09:45 AM

Chris,

I didn't do anything as per the instructions. I just steer the tail wheel with a carbon fiber rod attached to the rudder servo. I get less movement than the rudder, but not enough to cause any great taxi problems. I never tried to fit the fiberglass cover over the plywood. If the plane flys well enough to compete with. I will reinforce the fiberglass cover with epoxy and kevlar and re mount the tail wheel. I kind of wonder why I didn't think of that in the first place.

Destroyer of Airplanes 05-20-2014 09:48 AM

I've learned my lesson on cheap batteries.

mackone 06-01-2014 10:25 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of my flight last weekend , was a grey old day.

Its first flight with the fish on.

Destroyer of Airplanes 06-02-2014 06:55 AM

Nice flight pictures,thanks.

My maiden didn't go too well. I stalled it on take off. The damage was minor, but I did have to take the "Walk of Shame" to to the crash site. I think my problem was not enough power for the weight and I pulled her up a little too abruptly. Tonight I will verify the cg location, re weigh it and calculate the watts need to fly. I can boost my input power from 10s to 12s. This is the first failed mained I've had in years.

mackone 06-02-2014 02:53 PM

That's not good news Paul ,
What prop were you running ?
The rimfire 65 is a 160kv motor yes ?
The slats that you have added would they affect the "Stall" ?

Cheers
Pete.

Destroyer of Airplanes 06-02-2014 03:13 PM

Pete,
My motor is a Rimfire 1.60 250kv at 12s I was running 10s. The prop was an 18x8. I removed the slats till I learn how she flys. On the other hand they should have helped. She is repaired and now I will fit a pair of 6s 5800mha and re balance. I will use the same prop only because that is the recommended prop on the Rimfire spec sheet. I also have a 18x10 and 18x14. Next time I will lift her off much more easily. Since I have 2 1/2 pounds of lead over the motor mount I will gladly trade some for extra battery weight. To night I will weigh the plane again and verity the CG is about 1/2 inch ahead of the specification sheet.

What are the control throws you finally arrived at?

Paul

mackone 06-02-2014 04:36 PM

Hey Paul ,
I think for 10s you should run a bigger prop for sure . The 18x8 on 10s looks to me to be the problem.
My throws I have set as per the manual , Im pretty sure after the maiden I dialled back the elevator to 15mm travel which seems tiny .
I have 70%expo on the elevator as well ,
Once the tail is up mine ROG with very little elevator input .
With the flight last weekend I ended up flipping it on landing due to the soggy long grass I put it down in, broke a few wing wires and ejected the crew.
cheers
Pete

cdrc2004 06-03-2014 12:51 PM

Hi Pete,

How do you transport your Swordfish as far as breaking down the wings. I know Paul transports his completely put together which unfortunately I can't do. I'd like to work out transport to the field without having to spend 2 hours setting up. BTW, I hadn't noticed your ejected crew in the one pic until I read your post! She looks beautiful in the air. I like the weathering on the fuse just behind the cowl.

I'm still at least a few weeks from maiden but you and Paul have provided me much inspiration. Good stuff!

Lastly, are there any flight-worthy full scale Swordfish in Australia?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris

mackone 06-03-2014 02:50 PM

Hey Chris ,
I transport mine in the back of my Jeep wrangler wagon, with the rear seats down.
The wings of course are separate and I remove the prop as well.
It only takes me about ten mins to set it up at the field , The bottom wing I fix on with the two hex bolts as per the kit , and the top wing I just put a bit of silver tape across the leading edge join.
My wings are a very tight fit once on, the tape on top is all it needs. The wings slide onto the fibre glass top spars nicely.

And no I don't think we have any Swordfish here in Australia , We did have some briefly though in ww2 by accident they were stationed in Perth in Western Australia.

cheers
Pete.

cdrc2004 06-05-2014 03:24 PM

Hey Pete,

I dunno, Perth seems as good as anyplace for some Swordfish and the Indian Ocean. They probably wouldn't help much these days in searching for the Malaysian airliner!

Thanks for the transport description. So, I take it that when you're transporting, the top and bottom wing struts and wires are all still attached? I'm still at least a few weeks from maiden but I'm trying to figure how I'll be able to get her to the field in my Tacoma. "Um...Honey? I need a bigger truck." I can see it coming...

Thanks,

Chris

mackone 06-05-2014 04:01 PM

Hey Chris
Yep , If you install the wing wires to be structural they hold the wings together a solid wing section and transport really easy sometimes I have them vertical in foam containers to save a bit of space.
Next time its in the car , I'll take a pic.
cheers
Pete.

cdrc2004 06-06-2014 03:58 PM

Thanks, Pete, that would be great!

Chris

Capt G 06-07-2014 10:56 AM

Could you please tell me the inside diameter of the cowl? Thanks. G

cdrc2004 06-07-2014 06:10 PM

Mine is 7 3/16".

Chris

retransit 08-10-2014 08:42 AM

Here is Chris's (cdrc2004) ESM Swordfish, of which he flew the maiden yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y7mkt2vwDY&feature=youtu.be Bob

retransit 08-10-2014 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by cdrc2004 (Post 11819490)
Mine is 7 3/16".

Chris

No personal stats, please!

mackone 08-11-2014 02:24 AM

Well Done Chris , Great job
A few more flights and you'll get to know is flight character .
Now stick the fish on , they look a bit nude without it .
cheers
Pete ,

cdrc2004 08-11-2014 01:04 PM

Thanks, Pete. There are a few bugs to work out but overall she is great to fly. I'm working out a way to use a screw or two to keep the outer sections of the upper wing connected more solidly to the center section. There was about an 1/8" gap there after landing where on takeoff it was flush.

Chris