RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   ESM Fairey Swordfish "Stringbag" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9035700-esm-fairey-swordfish-%22stringbag%22.html)

fockewulf37 04-23-2010 08:26 PM

RE: ESM Fairey Swordfish

Hey where are ya'll bringing the wires from the top wing in to the fuse from ? It does not show that at all in the instructions. I am debating weather to just connect the alierons together...It looks the real plane was joined at the alierons....

Ty

FNQFLYER 04-24-2010 01:25 AM

All interesting reading, I am still waiting for my Swordfish to arrive here in OZ, supposed to be here mid May. The dealer said use a 53 petrol but after reading the YT site I am going to attempt to use a Saito 36cc petrol with the 53 sitting in the shed just in case.
I am very interested in those cockpits that have been shown by "Ty" and would like to know more about them.
For those of you with plenty of money have a look at the USM site they are now making Seidel radials in India and one of my fellow club members likes them so much he has bought 3 for a model of the "Southern Cross"
All interesting stuff and good for my knowledge bank.

zoomer199 04-24-2010 02:45 AM

Well I received my swordfish Thursday. What a joy to see a large box on the pourch when you come home from work.
Unpacked carefully and to my dismay I found a dammaged wing, tail feathers and fuse. The wing and tail have large holes and dents in them . From what I can tell they packaged the wings so that the strut tabs face against the wings not the card board. Also note that they free float in the box. so they bang against each other for the whole trip. The fuse looks like it had a air bubble in the glassing and that cracked and gave way to show a 0.080 deep hole the size of dime in the side of the fuse. You can see the cloth and it looks like no resin ever touched it. The fuse I could repair but the tail and wing are to badly damaged for me to repair. Not to mention its on the top wing were everyone could see the repair. I looked in the kit for repair covering but found none.
Contacted TBM right away and sent pictures with the email. Called them today and left message. Have not heard back yet.
Was hopeing to start building this weekend in fact took a couple extra days off work to enjoy the build. But looks like I need to put that on hold till matter is resolved.

fockewulf37 04-24-2010 06:34 AM

Zoomer,
Sorry to here about the damage. I had a piece missing from the Storch kit I got and called TBM over a week ago and have not had a response. I called them back and talked the sales and they said there hands were tied and could do nothing until customer service call me back. They said that the customer service person had quit. Also they said that once customer service had decided what to do then the owners wife Rose had to make the final decision.

fockewulf37 04-24-2010 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok guys I finally have gotten time to actually put a plane together. Out of the ones I have I wanted to do the Sworfish first . I plan on trying to make all the outboard wing removeable. I did decide to use the CA hinges since I plan to go with electric on this bird. So I got all 4 wing panels out and glued all the hings first. I know ya'll know the trick of centering the CA hinges with pins I put 2 pins inthe center of each hinge and thenplace then in one side . this allows the hinge to be centered in the part. This also give the right amount of gap ..If ya'll want me to move this to a new thread I will.....The first pic is what the hingeslook like come out of the box,,

fockewulf37 04-24-2010 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The next thing i did was drill all my dowel holes using the templates. It just happens that living in the US i Don't have any 6mm drill bits. So I cahnge all mine to 1/4".
The first thing I did was find 2 small screws that would fit into the strut holes to help align this up. The pilot holes in the templates are right on 11/64" . So i drill the holes out first with the 11/64" drill bit. leaving the first in place whild drilling the second hole. Then I removed the template and redrilled the holes with the 1/4" drill bit.
I also put the spar in place . Wen I did the in board wing I used tape to help keep the template in place....To make the dowels slip out a little easier I put a spare piece of dowel in the drill and an it into the female holes to make them the exact size

The top and bottom wing are done then same way

fockewulf37 04-25-2010 06:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The next thing I did following the manual is install the midwing to the bottom og the fuse. They do give a width that they should be apart but not how far down. So I applied tape to both parts and marked the centers. then marked the width apart that was needed. I then went onto the front of each and marked down 1/2 " I then intersected the lines to give my hole location. I drilled all of the hole first with a small drill and then came back with a 1/4" bit. I then installed the 1/4" dowels. Make sure you don't drill too deep into the mkidwing or you will drill into the wing tube socket. I found out the I had srilled the hole in the fuse a little to far down toward the center of the fuse. Which is actually good. The will insure a nice tight fit. I had to take a rattail file and move the hole toward the bottom a little at a time....

ty

fockewulf37 04-25-2010 06:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I then moved to putting the hold down screws in. I don't like blind nuts so I drill and tap for a 1/4-20 screws. I once again marked the center of each part. I then found the thickest part of the wood in the fuse. I made my holes 1" from the trailing edge and 1- 7/8" from the center each way. I then drill a pilot hole with a 13/64" drill bit. I pulled the wing off and tapped the hole with the 1/4-20 bit. The i drilled the wing out with a 1/4 bit....

Ty

fockewulf37 04-25-2010 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I put thwe midwing struts together per instructions and this is what I got. The ends stick out way too far. There are no measurements given. You really cannot cut anything until you have the wing installed the wing on the outboard struts. The best thing to do is too pull the block off and move both wires out of the way while installing the struts...

Ty

fockewulf37 04-25-2010 07:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have come to realize that My two 6 y/o's could have doen a better job on the instructions...

It was impossible for me to follow instruction from #28 in the manual. It says drill and install screw throught the wing into the aluminum block. Impossible at this time!!!
There is not way to know where to cut off the excess metal that sticks above the block. If you moved it to the top of the aluminum block the wing would be way too high.
The way I did it is. I got all of the 3mm screws together and there were some 3mm lock nuts and 3mm regular nuts. Thing will move much faster if you use the regular ones at this time. I first installed all the wood wing struts onto the wing just held in place with the screws and no Nuts. They were held in place with small clamps. I held all four in place like this....

Ty

fockewulf37 04-25-2010 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Do not follow the Measurements in the manual for the struts. I could find no coorelation between thier measurments and the one on the real model.. They were way off. First you need to figure out where each strut goes . They are not marked at all. Yo need to hold the struts up to the wing and figure out the best place for each and mark them and set aside.
Once you have them all marked. I started with the inner struts, The wood struts are left on place.. This was a very good idea by the kit maker. Push the 3mm screw with washer throught the wood piece and then through the wing hold down. This leaves the screw end exposed, The put the end of the strut with the hole in it onto the screw and screw the 3mm nut in place. now remove the clamp and screw from the bottom and insert a pencil. Now move the end of the strut back and forth marking the strut. You can see by my picture I drilled the first one wrong. I had this strut in the wrong place at first...Once you have drilled your hole screw this strut in place top and bottom.. You need to do this to all struts.. It took me about and hour or so to do them alll....

Ty

Ram-bro 04-25-2010 12:54 PM

lotta work for an af isn't it?;)

fockewulf37 04-25-2010 12:56 PM

Rambro, Have you finished yours yet??

Ram-bro 04-25-2010 01:06 PM

just bought some 4/40 couplers to eplace the stock equipment . Getting close

Robert Bishop 04-25-2010 01:10 PM

I agree with you Rambro-it is a lot of work!-I keep thinking that I am almost finished -but the beat goes on. Ty-I am a little further ahead than you. I agree with all the points you brought up. ( Great job and photos)
Be careful with the placement of the engine or motor. Mine has finished up off center with the cowl. Have not figured out what is wrong yet.

Bob Bishop

Ram-bro 04-25-2010 01:24 PM

what ae yougoing with forpower?

fockewulf37 04-25-2010 01:29 PM

I always mount my cowl first then Mount the motor so I can get the engine centered...If you are asking me I am using an e-flite 160 on 12 cells and a 20-10 prop.
Are ya'll mounting any servos in the top wing??

ty

Ram-bro 04-25-2010 02:34 PM

Ty, I am going with 4 servoes in the wings....all standard futaba. I am mounting the US41. I am hearing we are needing the weight

fockewulf37 04-25-2010 02:53 PM

How are you planning to route the upper Wires??

ty

Robert Bishop 04-25-2010 03:08 PM

I am using a Laser 180 for power. I have used 4 servos for the wings and routed the wires up the cabanes and through a hole in the under surface of the center section-does not look too bad.

Bob

zoomer199 04-25-2010 08:07 PM

TY, thanks for the tip on the center and struts. Just about to start that now. The directions are something to be desired. For those that are not much of a modeler seek advise. This is not like putting together a Yak or an Extra.

For power I will use a DLE55. I will be glassing in another peice of 1/4 inch ply to existing firewall.

MANFRED 04-25-2010 10:10 PM

Inside or outside?

zoomer199 04-26-2010 02:27 AM

If you are referring to the ply to the firewall then it looks like I can go on the outside. I will need to re-measure once I get the cowl built up and on the plane.

Robert Bishop 04-26-2010 07:58 AM

Maybe the last problem to solve- how are you bolting the wings to lock them in laterally? Also Ty-I drilled the underside of the wing center section to clear the excess wire of the cabanes

Bob Bishop

fockewulf37 04-26-2010 03:47 PM

Ok Guts anyone else having trouble with the horizontal. Mine is about a 1/4" low on one side . I had to use about 5 layers of painters tape on the right side to make it level.
I will figure what to replace the tape with soon. Also it does not show the glue the horizontal the the fuse??? Is that your take also...

Ty