RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Ziroli Stuka (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9209624-ziroli-stuka.html)

Evil_Merlin 10-29-2009 09:00 PM

RE: Ziroli Stuka

Yes, its supposed to read the same way from both sides.

Holy smokes thats some dark black on black! You are right even with the flash I cannot see it clearly.

cdbtx 11-16-2009 01:34 PM

Just ordered my Ziroli plans and kit from Precisions Cut Kits today.....  Looking forward to hiding in the garage this winter building it...

Any suggestions would be welcome!

cloudancer03 11-16-2009 05:52 PM

what motors are you guys using.are the landing gear robart struts?I am looking to build a warbird that doesnt require retractable gear.this plane looks like you can scare spectators lol.

Evil_Merlin 11-17-2009 12:53 AM

G62 with Sierra struts designed for the Stuka (http://www.sierragiant.com/prod40.html)

TomCrump 11-17-2009 05:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Sierra struts are a work of art. I convinced a friend to buy a set at this year's Toledo Show. He's glad that he did.

Another friend had the JCWhitney siren, the smaller one. It's mounted under the fuselage belly, and the sound is quite audible.

I have a Walker Sachs 4.2 in mine, but I haven't flown the model, yet. I can't comment on the performance, but I did need the larger motor for nose weight.

Evil_Merlin 11-17-2009 09:30 AM

Tom,

Every time I see your Stuka in the snow, I have to look a couple of times, you did a fantastic job on that bird.

stavman11 11-17-2009 10:41 AM

Are there any Foam Kits of a Stuka???

This is my FAVORITE Warbird and would love to have an Electric Flyer of a Stuka

Any Help Guys would be great

Evil_Merlin 11-17-2009 10:49 AM

There used to be a Flying Styro foamie, a smaller one.

Rumor has it that there may be a larger Stuka in foam from Parkzone some time in late 2010.

stavman11 11-17-2009 12:13 PM

That would be KILLER Merlin

Ill keep my STUKA fingers crossed

Thanks Bud

ZERO-322 11-17-2009 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: stavman11

Are there any Foam Kits of a Stuka???

This is my FAVORITE Warbird and would love to have an Electric Flyer of a Stuka

Any Help Guys would be great

Kyosho makes one check out there website pretty good looking bird too

stavman11 11-17-2009 12:38 PM

Didnt see anything on kyosho

got a link by chance?????

Evil_Merlin 11-17-2009 01:23 PM

http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/r...uct_no_1=56509

I'm not too sure about the fuse, it looks REALLY long...

cdbtx 11-17-2009 09:14 PM

Ok - before I pull the plug... G62 or DA50...?

Evil_Merlin 11-17-2009 09:24 PM

G62. Its a bit heavier than the DA50 making the bird a bit easier to balance.

The DA50 would fit in the cowl better. But I would go DLE55...

cdbtx 11-17-2009 09:44 PM

I guess I should preface this by saying that I've never run fuel engines before... I  have an ASM P-61D (Electric conversion), TF P-47D (Electric Conversion), 60 size Cessna 421 (Electric Conversion), and the list goes on... but can't bring myself to put an electric motor into this plane...  so I'd like the most hassle free motor with the best fit.

Thanks,

Chuck

TomCrump 11-18-2009 04:17 AM

The G-62 probably wuld be the most hassle free. It has a long history of reliability, and good customer support.

Problems arise when trying to fit everything inside the cowl. I understand that an adapter is available that allows the carb to be moved, and therefore hidden.

Mufflers/manifolds, are another problem. Most seem to be too wide to remain enclosed. I have a Slimline on my 4.2. Only one mounting bolt protrudes, which I hid under a non-scale blister.

stavman11 11-18-2009 09:14 AM

Found the Stuka

Thundertiger makes one

Getting an account set up today so I can Order Direct

Sweet

Thanks all

Stav

STUKA BARRY 11-18-2009 04:04 PM

ORIGINAL: TomCrump

The G-62 probably wuld be the most hassle free. It has a long history of reliability, and good customer support.

Problems arise when trying to fit everything inside the cowl. I understand that an adapter is available that allows the carb to be moved, and therefore hidden.

Mufflers/manifolds, are another problem. Most seem to be too wide to remain enclosed. I have a Slimline on my 4.2. Only one mounting bolt protrudes, which I hid under a non-scale blister.
I second the G-62. Its truely a hassle free engine, plus its on the heavy side so no additional balast is neccesary. With a CB Associates P-51 style 4" spinner and a Mezlik 22X10 three bladed prop, your in business. The Slimline pits muffler is a perfect combination. I've got a new in the box G-62 with a cup mount if your interested.

Spychalla Aircraft 11-19-2009 07:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll be the third guy to vote for the G-62 in the Ziroli Stuka. It is the most hassle free engine on the market for this size airplane. Every one of the Zenoah G-62's is the same. They all run flawlessly out of the box and you'll get years of service from them. It will comfortably swing a 22 X 10 where the DA-50 is a little more complicated engine to install and it only handles a 21 X 10.

Here is my G-62 in a Ziroli Stuka. Slimline Pitts style muffler as mentioned by someone above. You can see the muffler protruding out on the port side just a little. It's not bad. I put a 1/4" plywood spacer behind the prop so that the engine fins did not his the front of the cowl. It works well. Leo

cdbtx 11-19-2009 09:04 AM

Thanks - the photos really help!  Ok.. G62 it is.

Another question... for covering I see a variety of different weights on the glass cloth....  looks like there's 3 of you that have built these.... what's the concensus on cloth weight?

Also Stuka Barry - sent you a PM regarding the engine.

Thanks again,

Chuck

cdbtx 11-19-2009 09:18 AM

Another question about the photos - it looks like you have the carb adapter on this..... is that the case?

Thanks,

Chuck

Tmoth4 11-19-2009 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: cdbtx

Thanks - the photos really help! Ok.. G62 it is.

Another question... for covering I see a variety of different weights on the glass cloth.... looks like there's 3 of you that have built these.... what's the concensus on cloth weight?

Also Stuka Barry - sent you a PM regarding the engine.

Thanks again,

Chuck
Hi,

3/4 to 1 oz. glass cloth will work.

BTW, Since you're going with a G62 you could use a 22" 3-blade prop and make it look more realistic. I put a Bolly 22-10 3-blade on my 32# Ziroli Dauntless (G62) and am still amazed at how well it hauls the model around. RPMs are much lower and it sounds like a four-stroke, but it flies great.

Jim

TomCrump 11-19-2009 11:20 AM

A friend flies his G-62 powered Stuka with a 3 blade 22" prop, too. The Zenoah handles it well.

I used .58oz cloth, when I glassed mine.

Evil_Merlin 11-19-2009 11:31 AM

I used .5oz cloth for my outer wing panels and 1 oz cloth for the center section and around the strut legs.

Ed 11-19-2009 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: cdbtx

Ok - before I pull the plug... G62 or DA50...?
Yes, I have a G-62 in another plane, and it's a fine engine, but when it comes to smoothness, my DA-50 puts it to shame. The DA-50 cowls in completely clean, and leaves nothing hanging out. With batteries and throttle servo up front in the Box, only 1/2 lb of ballast is needed, and on a 27 lb. plane, this amounts to almost nothing.

The G-62 can be a shaker. (((( [:o] )))) But I love it also. It's also in a big round cowled Gee Bee, and nothing hangs out. That's important to some scale people.

Ed