RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Ziroli Stuka (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9209624-ziroli-stuka.html)

cdbtx 11-23-2009 06:28 PM

RE: Ziroli Stuka

It almost feels like Christmas.... My Ziroli Plans arrived today.... the parts should be here anytime.... and might even be able to start the build around Thanksgiving.....  Perfect building weather.. we are now on 25 days of rain...

BTW - Does anyone have a list of servos that they've used... I thought that I read where Tom Crump used the HS-245 servos on the Flaps and Ailerons.....  which would be nice since I happen to have some extra laying around... Saw that the plans called for Futaba S-148.... standard servos though...

Thanks,

Chuck

Ed 11-23-2009 09:03 PM

Don't risk such a fine investment on Futaba 148's. Use a better quality ball bearing servo, of at least 80 - 100 oz. on all control surfaces. Two digitals recommended on at least elevator ! ;)

Ed

cdbtx 11-23-2009 09:37 PM

Thanks.. and meant the HS 645 earlier (106oz/133oz @6V...    was pretty surprised when I saw the Futaba's on the spec...  don't even use those on my lighter planes....

</p>

TomCrump 11-24-2009 06:36 AM

ORIGINAL: cdbtx

Thanks.. and meant the HS 645 earlier (106oz/133oz @6V... was pretty surprised when I saw the Futaba's on the spec... don't even use those on my lighter planes....

</p>
Yup, I usd 645s everywhere that it counts. I have lesser servos on the throttle and bomb drops. Futaba 148s.

If you go with 645s, keep an eye on Hobby People. They frequently have them on sale, for $29.00, or less.

tubave 11-26-2009 02:37 AM

Who can help me to solve the coke problems on my DLE55?[img]www.pictures.com[/img]</p>

GhostRider32 12-04-2009 10:34 AM

Hi guys,

For you guys that have built this plane, how difficult is it to build? I'm currently building a Jerry Bates Hellcat and hope to finish it soon. It is my first scale build and I have learned some things and am still learning. I am intrigued by the Stuka and would possibly like to build one. How difficult of a build is it? The dive flaps in particular but also the rest of the plane?

Evil_Merlin 12-04-2009 12:25 PM

Dead simple.

The wing outer panels can be done in a night. Very simple ribs with top and bottom spar, false leading edge with a real one on top of it.

Fuse is about as simple as it gets.. plus you can get a glass one if you want.

That being said, if you haven't built a plane before, buy a kit and build something from the kits to learn the basics. Jumping into a plane built from plans is a sure way to get frustrated if you don't understand the build basics.

GhostRider32 12-04-2009 03:05 PM

Thanks Merlin. I am currently building a Jerry Bates Hellcat. My question is how is the difficulty in building the Stuka compared to the JB Hellcat?

TomCrump 12-05-2009 03:55 AM

I haven't built from them, but I have a set of Bates plans for a Lockheed Lodestar sitting here. If your Hellcat is built in a similar manner, you should have no trouble with the Stuka.

cdbtx 01-15-2010 09:02 PM

Finally got started on the Stuka tonight - starting to think that we're going to have 40 days and 40 nights of rain so it's perfect weather. Got the Precision Cut Kits, they did a very nice job with the parts and the marking. Special thanks to Stuka Barry for the Zenoah G62..... Wife surprised me for Xmas too, found a set of Ziroli P40 Warhawk plans and a short kit on the way.... guess it's going to be a busy winter... :)

cdbtx 01-31-2010 08:20 PM

Bit by bit it's finally coming together - much slower than Iexpected. Horizontal and Vertical stabilzers, elevator, and rudder are complete. Crutch is complete and finally started on the fusalage - while I'm waiting for a few parts I'll start on the wing - it's nice when it finally starts to have the outline of a plane... couldn't resist clamping the Hstab and Vstab on.

Any suggestions for the tail gear - Isee Ziroli is advertising the Robarts, plans show Goldberg... thoughts?

Thanks,

Chuck

Ed 01-31-2010 11:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have fun with it Chuck. Flew mine again today, ( 01/31/10 ), after I got the aileron hinge rod fixed, it was working loose. I'm finding that at 28 lbs, the DA-50 is the perfect companion for it. A lot smoother then my G-62, and it cowls in completely.

A spectator took this marginal photo just this afternoon.

> Ed

TomCrump 02-01-2010 04:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[quote]ORIGINAL: cdbtx

Bit by bit it's finally coming together - much slower than I expected. Horizontal and Vertical stabilzers, elevator, and rudder are complete. Crutch is complete and finally started on the fusalage - while I'm waiting for a few parts I'll start on the wing - it's nice when it finally starts to have the outline of a plane... couldn't resist clamping the Hstab and Vstab on.

Any suggestions for the tail gear - I see Ziroli is advertising the Robarts, plans show Goldberg... thoughts?

Thanks,

The Robart tailwheel kinda/sorta looks the part. I went with a nose wheel unit that I had in the shop. I cut of the axle portion of the wire, and a friend machined a yoke.

Warbird Joe 02-01-2010 09:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Tmoth4

This is my Nick Ziroli Stuka down at the beautiful flying field of the Southern Ohio R/Cers. It's located on the flat land next to the Ohio River near Portsmouth, Ohio. You can see the hills of Kentucky in the background. It's a beautiful setting for some nice R/C flying.

The Stuka is all built up from Nick's plans and has an old but reliable Kioritz 2.4 cu. in. engine in it. The weight is 26 lbs. and the model flies like it's on rails! I drop bombs with it but, unfortunately, didn't get any pictures of the bomb dropping.

Jim
Jim,

I would love to see that plane. That is amazing looking. We have a War Bird event here just north of Cincinnati going in our 3rd year. It has been a great event for our club. I sure would love to have you bring that up here and show it off. I have yet to see a Stuka and any War Bird event I have been to. It's in July date is being set this week hopefully. I hope to see you here.

Joe

cdbtx 02-01-2010 09:29 AM

I'm jealous Ed - Ididn't see any trees in the photo and the sky was blue....

Ed 02-01-2010 10:44 AM

I'm jealous Ed - I didn't see any trees in the photo and the sky was blue....
It's a very nice facility. It's called TIMPA, the Tucson Modelplex Park Association. It's the beautiful field at which the big IMAC, Tucson Shootout is held every year. ;)

Ed

cdbtx 02-01-2010 12:57 PM

Thanks Tom - I showed one of the photos of your Stuka next to the lake in the snow- she thought it was a real WWII photo.

Beautiful job!

Chuck</p>

TomCrump 02-02-2010 05:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Thanks Tom - I showed one of the photos of your Stuka next to the lake in the snow - she thought it was a real WWII photo.

Beautiful job!

Chuck</p>

Thanks ! Wil Amaral, from Brazil, took most of my Stuka pics. The poor guy had never seen snow before, but didn't hesitate to go down to that cold, windy beech and crawl around in the snow to take them.

cdbtx 02-18-2010 10:09 PM

It's finally starting to look like a plane....  about 95% done with the sheeting on the fuselage, Wings are built, one side covered, HStab/VStab are done.... time to start mounting some hardware and then the fun part...

Will try and post a photo or two... decided to go with a single piece wing.. simply because it's easier and it will fit in my Durango...

Who knows.. might be ready in time for some spring flying.. :)

TomCrump 02-19-2010 06:44 AM

The single piece wing is the easiest option.

I opted for 3 piece, which allows the Stuka to stand on her feet during transport. I can get my Stuka inside my Ford Edge ! LOL

cdbtx 02-19-2010 06:30 PM

Ok.. last question for the week..   What type and brand of resin did you use for the covering? 

Ordered all the remaining parts today.... including a cockpit kit from ScaleRc Models.

Chuck

TomCrump 02-20-2010 06:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Ok.. last question for the week.. What type and brand of resin did you use for the covering?

Ordered all the remaining parts today.... including a cockpit kit from ScaleRc Models.

Chuck

I used Minnwax Polycryllic and .58 oz cloth, to glass mine.

cdbtx 02-20-2010 12:51 PM

That's a nice looking finish - it's almost a shame to paint over it.. :)

TomCrump 02-21-2010 04:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)

That's a nice looking finish - it's almost a shame to paint over it.. :)
Oh, I painted over it. LOL

stavman11 02-21-2010 11:56 AM

Does anyone have the Ziroli Stuka plans i could get

Really wanna do this in Foam, a Bit Scaled Down

Thanks guys... LOVE the Stuka

CS