RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9452979-knowledge-quiz-warbird-wiz.html)

Charlie P. 10-24-2010 10:04 PM

RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

At'sa one. Anyone up for a trip to Antartica to pick up the onestillin a snowdrift down there?

You're up.

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contri...llop/6086L.jpg

Ernie P. 10-25-2010 02:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

At'sa one. Anyone up for a trip to Antartica to pick up the one still in a snowdrift down there?

You're up.

[img][/img]
Right at the end of the biplane era, several planes were produced that looked (to me, at least) as though they would have flown just fine if they had simply removed the top wing. The Condor is one of them. Thanks; Ernie P.

Charlie P. 10-25-2010 01:22 PM

It's funny for us looking back, but at the time there was a lot of prejudice against monoplanes.  The cantilevered wing is a pretty sophisticated design and I guess the first attempts soured folks to the idea.  Look at the Bristol M.1C fighter that was the fastest fighter at that time, but because it was a monoplane it only saw limited service in backwater theaters.  Everyone knew it couldn't stand to to the stresses of a dogfight.

Evil_Merlin 10-25-2010 02:11 PM

Indeed, the D.VIII got a lot of flack for being a monoplane too... and the opinions were not helped at all by poor subcontracting...

Ernie P. 10-25-2010 06:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Evil_Merlin

Indeed, the D.VIII got a lot of flack for being a monoplane too... and the opinions were not helped at all by poor subcontracting...
You and Charlie P. both make good points. But as we got toward the end of the biplane era, how did we wind up with planes that were, more and more, resembling later monoplanes with a second wing added?

I've always thought that, if the Germans had a supply of castor, the D-VIII would have made a big splash. And I'm going to have a model of the Bristol M.1C. Thanks; Ernie P.

metaldriver 10-25-2010 07:46 PM

Ok people here we go. This aircraft was originally ordered by the Army Air Corps but the Navy expressed interest and also ordered a small number. After initial naval testing the aircraft was ordered with a different engine and it served many years. I am looking for the Army designation as well as the Navy version. PLus the improved version's designation.

Ram-bro 10-25-2010 08:10 PM

p39 aisbonita and king cobra......wild guess

metaldriver 10-25-2010 08:25 PM

Sorry but no

Charlie P. 10-25-2010 08:43 PM

Curtiss Army P-1 Hawk with inline and Navy F6C, later F6C-4with radial

Ernie P. 10-26-2010 03:58 AM

ORIGINAL: metaldriver

Ok people here we go. This aircraft was originally ordered by the Army Air Corps but the Navy expressed interest and also ordered a small number. After initial naval testing the aircraft was ordered with a different engine and it served many years. I am looking for the Army designation as well as the Navy version. PLus the improved version's designation.
Your description could fit a number of aircraft, but I'm guessing the T-6 Texan. AKA the BC-1(USAAC) ; SNJ-1 (Navy) and SNJ-2 (With a different engine). Thanks; Ernie P.

The Texan originated from the North American NA-16 prototype (first flown on April 1, 1935) which, modified as the NA-26, was submitted as an entry for a USAAC "Basic Combat" aircraft competition in March, 1937. The first model went in to production and 180 were supplied to the USAAC as the BC-1 and 400 to the RAF as the Harvard I. The US Navy received 16 modified aircraft, designated the SNJ-1, and a further 61 as the SNJ-2 with a different engine.

metaldriver 10-26-2010 07:05 PM

Way to go Charlie just what I was looking for. Or close enough for me. As an aside what well known aerobatic maneuver was performed with an export version of the F6C-4/F11C?

Charlie P. 10-26-2010 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First outside loop - Jimmy Doolittle (P-1)

Also (I think) the first airborne M2 Browing .50 cal machine gun (Haven't been able to veryfy that one).

And, there's one underway in my basement! (The F6C-4) (and with a little help from MS Paint)

The Three Gallant Souls and Three Flying Fish(pre-Blue Angels NAVYExhibition flyers) used the Curtiss F6C-4.

Charlie P. 10-26-2010 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)

What was the name of this U.S.aircraft when in British service?

Ram-bro 10-26-2010 08:46 PM

cleveland MK 1

Charlie P. 10-26-2010 08:52 PM

Yow!  That was quick.  And correct!

All yours Ram-bro.

Ram-bro 10-26-2010 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
what plane am I

Experten109/40 10-26-2010 10:17 PM

curtiss sb2c5 helldiver

uncljoe 10-26-2010 10:30 PM

Brewster SB2A Buccaneer . (another looser from Brewster)
Semper fi
joe

Charlie P. 10-26-2010 10:37 PM

Brewster SB2A Buckaneer

RATS! Took me too long to hunt it up! Good job Uncljoe

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...light_1942.jpg

uncljoe 10-26-2010 10:55 PM

Go ahead Charlie P, I have to think of a question
Joe

Charlie P. 10-26-2010 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK. Here's a quick one.

What is the aircraft in this image - hint: the year was 1918.

Ernie P. 10-27-2010 03:04 AM

OK. Here's a quick one.

What is the aircraft in this image - hint: the year was 1918.

Sopwith Snark? Thanks; Ernie P.

Charlie P. 10-27-2010 08:51 AM

Nope.

Charlie P. 10-27-2010 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Same aircraft, side view.

da Rock 10-27-2010 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Same aircraft, side view.

OK, we now know it's French.

The 3 color rudder is one clue.
The pole with the carrot hanging from it just in front of the pilot is the other.