RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9452979-knowledge-quiz-warbird-wiz.html)

Charlie P. 10-22-2010 09:28 PM

RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Oh, geez! I thought I had given you the nod. Ernie P. got it! Son of a *****, Second Class. The Curtiss SB2C. (aka A-25 under USAAF designation). Went on to a fine battle record in spite of being miserable to operate. The F6F and F4U carried as much weight in bombs and could defend themselves (I'm sure Ityped this before???) but no torpedo, though by the time the Helldiver appeared in numbers the excellent Avenger could do that task and better.

No, I'm fine. The "sandbags" comment was in regards to these discussions.

Keep the ball rolling, Ernie P.

Ernie P. 10-23-2010 05:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Oh, geez! I thought I had given you the nod. Ernie P. got it! Son of a *****, Second Class. The Curtiss SB2C. (aka A-25 under USAAF designation). Went on to a fine battle record in spite of being miserable to operate. The F6F and F4U carried as much weight in bombs and could defend themselves (I'm sure I typed this before???) but no torpedo, though by the time the Helldiver appeared in numbers the excellent Avenger could do that task and better.

No, I'm fine. The ''sandbags'' comment was in regards to these discussions.

Keep the ball rolling, Ernie P.
Thanks, Charlie P. This is a question that gets into an area we haven't much explored. It should be fairly easy to google, however. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: Who was the first pilot to successfully eject from an aircraft at over Mach 3?

Clues:

(1) It was a necessary ejection, not a test of the ejection system.

Experten109/40 10-23-2010 09:53 AM

<acronym title="Swissair">SR</acronym>-71 broke up at Mach 3 and 78,000 feet. The pilot, Bill Weaver, was thrown out and survived and the Radar Systems Operator (RSO) was killed
hardly an ejection in the traditional sence, and hardly a warbird.but the ONLY mach 3 ejection on record. there may have been a Mikoyan-Gurevich
MiG-25 bailout, or a Sukhoi T-4 bailout. but the CCCP will never tell.

Ernie P. 10-23-2010 10:49 AM

ORIGINAL: P-40K-5

<acronym title=''Swissair''>SR</acronym>-71 broke up at Mach 3 and 78,000 feet. The pilot, Bill Weaver, was thrown out and survived and the Radar Systems Operator (RSO) was killed
hardly an ejection in the traditional sence, and hardly a warbird. but the ONLY mach 3 ejection on record. there may have been a Mikoyan-Gurevich
MiG-25 bailout, or a Sukhoi T-4 bailout. but the CCCP will never tell.

The plane was not an SR-71. The pilot was not named Weaver. And, the ejection system was employed. Keep digging. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: Who was the first pilot to successfully eject from an aircraft at over Mach 3?

Clues:

(2) The aircraft itself was crippled, following the failure of a system being tested.

Experten109/40 10-23-2010 11:03 AM

the Lockheed A-12 then, but I don't believe there where any sucsessful mach 3bailouts.
the F-15 was a mach 2.5 bird I believe.. so thats out.

Ernie P. 10-23-2010 11:28 AM

the Lockheed A-12 then, but I don't believe there where any sucsessful mach 3 bailouts.
The A-12 (with the exception of a single two seat trainer) was a one seater. This bird was a two seater aircraft. Keep digging. Thanks; Ernie P.

Ernie P. 10-23-2010 11:29 AM

the Lockheed A-12 then, but I don't believe there where any sucsessful mach 3 bailouts.
The A-12 (with the exception of a single two seat trainer) was a one seater. This bird was a two seater aircraft. Keep digging. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) The aircraft itself was crippled, following the failure of a system being tested.

Experten109/40 10-23-2010 11:56 AM

F-111 Aardvark ~Mach 2.5

McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle ~Mach 2.5+

Grumman F-14 Tomcat ~Mach 2.34

Mig 31 foxhound ~ Mach 2.8

those are the fastest 2 seaters other then a A-12 or SR-71.

so I'm stumped. let alone even guessing the name of the pilot.

<table class="reg1" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2" width="500"> <tbody> <tr> <td align="left" style="background-color: #ffffff">SR-71 Blackbird (YF-12)</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #ffffff">Mach 3.2+</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #ffffff">85,000+ feet</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3" align="left" style="background-color: #ffffff">The SR-71 Blackbird is the fastest airplane in the world.

these at least can kill something cept' for the X-2</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" style="background-color: #eeeeff">4.</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #eeeeff">MiG-25R Foxbat-B</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #eeeeff">Mach 3.2</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #eeeeff">123,524 feet</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" style="background-color: #ffffff">4.</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #ffffff">X-2</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #ffffff">Mach 3.2</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #ffffff">126,200 feet</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" style="background-color: #eeeeff">5.</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #eeeeff">XB-70 Valkyrie</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #eeeeff">Mach 3.1</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #eeeeff">77,350 feet</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" style="background-color: #ffffff">6.</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #ffffff">MiG-31 Foxhound</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #ffffff">Mach 2.83</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #ffffff">67,600 feet</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" style="background-color: #eeeeff">7.</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #eeeeff">MiG-25 Foxbat (Ye-155)</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #eeeeff">Mach 2.8</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #eeeeff">118,900 feet</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" style="background-color: #ffffff">8.</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #ffffff">F-15 Eagle</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #ffffff">Mach 2.5</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #ffffff">60,000 feet</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" style="background-color: #eeeeff">8.</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #eeeeff">F-111 Aardvark</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #eeeeff">Mach 2.5</td> <td align="left" style="background-color: #eeeeff">60,000+ feet</td> </tr> </tbody></table></p>

Ernie P. 10-23-2010 04:19 PM

F-111 Aardvark ~Mach 2.5

McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle ~Mach 2.5+

Grumman F-14 Tomcat ~Mach 2.34

Mig 31 foxhound ~ Mach 2.8

those are the fastest 2 seaters other then a A-12 or SR-71.

so I'm stumped. let alone even guessing the name of the pilot.

<table class=''reg1'' border=''0'' cellspacing=''1'' cellpadding=''2'' width=''500''> <tbody> <tr> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #ffffff''>SR-71 Blackbird (YF-12)</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #ffffff''>Mach 3.2+</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #ffffff''>85,000+ feet</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan=''3'' align=''left'' style=''background-color: #ffffff''>The SR-71 Blackbird is the fastest airplane in the world.

these at least can kill something cept' for the X-2</td> </tr> <tr> <td align=''right'' style=''background-color: #eeeeff''>4.</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #eeeeff''>MiG-25R Foxbat-B</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #eeeeff''>Mach 3.2</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #eeeeff''>123,524 feet</td> </tr> <tr> <td align=''right'' style=''background-color: #ffffff''>4.</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #ffffff''>X-2</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #ffffff''>Mach 3.2</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #ffffff''>126,200 feet</td> </tr> <tr> <td align=''right'' style=''background-color: #eeeeff''>5.</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #eeeeff''>XB-70 Valkyrie</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #eeeeff''>Mach 3.1</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #eeeeff''>77,350 feet</td> </tr> <tr> <td align=''right'' style=''background-color: #ffffff''>6.</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #ffffff''>MiG-31 Foxhound</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #ffffff''>Mach 2.83</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #ffffff''>67,600 feet</td> </tr> <tr> <td align=''right'' style=''background-color: #eeeeff''>7.</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #eeeeff''>MiG-25 Foxbat (Ye-155)</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #eeeeff''>Mach 2.8</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #eeeeff''>118,900 feet</td> </tr> <tr> <td align=''right'' style=''background-color: #ffffff''>8.</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #ffffff''>F-15 Eagle</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #ffffff''>Mach 2.5</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #ffffff''>60,000 feet</td> </tr> <tr> <td align=''right'' style=''background-color: #eeeeff''>8.</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #eeeeff''>F-111 Aardvark</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #eeeeff''>Mach 2.5</td> <td align=''left'' style=''background-color: #eeeeff''>60,000+ feet</td> </tr> </tbody></table></p>

Then it's a better question than I originally thought. I want the name of the pilot. It was a warbird. The plane wasn't an A-12; and it wasn't an SR-71. A bit of research, and the answer is out there. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(3) Altitude was over 80,000 feet.

Ram-bro 10-23-2010 04:36 PM

M-21, Lost on 30 July 1966, near Midway Island, (some sources say Pt. Mugu, CA). While launching a D-21 drone, the drone was trapped in the shock wave of the aircraft, forcing the drone back into the M-21, causing the aircraft to break-up at Mach 3. The Lockheed Test Pilot Bill Park and the LCO (Launch Control Officer) Ray Torick ejected safely, but upon landing in the water Ray Torrick's suit, which became torn in the ejection, caused the suit to fill with water drowning Torrick. Bill Park was rescued safely. This crash prompted the end of the M-21/ D-21 program.

Experten109/40 10-23-2010 05:15 PM

yah I was gonna say the M-21 too. plus the pilot died in the M-21 mothership.
hardly sucsessful. thats why I listed Williams in my first answer. but I was hessitant to
say SR-71/A-12/M-21 becouse it can't kill anything except her own pilot/ro. now will just wait for
Ernie to tell you your up lol.

Ernie P. 10-23-2010 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

M-21, Lost on 30 July 1966, near Midway Island, (some sources say Pt. Mugu, CA). While launching a D-21 drone, the drone was trapped in the shock wave of the aircraft, forcing the drone back into the M-21, causing the aircraft to break-up at Mach 3. The Lockheed Test Pilot Bill Park and the LCO (Launch Control Officer) Ray Torick ejected safely, but upon landing in the water Ray Torrick's suit, which became torn in the ejection, caused the suit to fill with water drowning Torrick. Bill Park was rescued safely. This crash prompted the end of the M-21/ D-21 program.

Right you are, Ram-bro. And, you are now up. Bill Park, the pilot, survived the ejection. So do Ray Torick, his LCO. But Torick was drowned after landing in water, because his flight suit had been torn in the ejection.

Many people forget the A-12 gave birth to three offspring: The SR-71 Blackbird, the M-21 Mother ship and the D-21 Drone (the Daughter). The M-21 program ended with this accident; but the D-21 Drone program continued, with the drones launched from a modified B-52. And I think we agreed some time ago that reconnaissance aircraft qualified as warbirds, correct?

You're up, Ram-bro. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
(3) Altitude was over 80,000 feet.
(4) Both the mother and daughter were destroyed in the accident.
Answer: Bill Park, on July 30, 1966. The LCO was killed when his pressure suit leaked, after landing in the water.

In the early 1960s, deployment of rocket-powered ejection seats designed for use at supersonic speeds began in such planes as the F-106 Delta Dart. Six pilots have ejected at speeds exceeding 700 knots (1,300 km/h; 810 mph). The highest altitude at which a Martin-Baker seat was deployed was 57,000 ft (from a Canberra bomber in 1958). Following an accident on 30 July 1966 in the attempted launch of a D-21 drone, two Lockheed M-21[5] crew members ejected at Mach 3.25 at an altitude of 80,000 ft (24,000 m) The pilot was recovered successfully, however the observer drowned after a water landing. Despite these records, most ejections occur at fairly low speeds and altitudes, when the pilot can see that there is no hope of regaining aircraft control before impact with the ground.
A second successful launch took place on 27 April 1966, with the D-21 reaching its operational altitude of 90,000 feet (27,400 m) and speed in excess of Mach 3.3, though it was lost due to a system failure after a flight of over 1,200 nmi (2,200 km). This was regarded as very satisfactory progress. The successful tests sharpened the interest of the program's government backers, and by the end of the month a contract for 15 more D-21s had been placed. A third successful flight took place on 16 June 1966, with the D-21 flying through its complete mission, though the hatch wasn't released due to an electronics failure.
However, the fourth and final launch a month later on July 30 ended in disaster. The D-21 struck the M-21's tail immediately after separation, destroying both aircraft.[6] The two crewmen ejected safely and landed at sea. The pilot, Bill Park, survived, but the LCO, Ray Torick, drowned when his pressure suit leaked. As a result, Kelly Johnson immediately ended launches from the M-21. However, he felt that the B-52 launch scheme was still practical, and the D-21 program remained alive and well.

Ram-bro 10-23-2010 07:11 PM

Thanks, I will be back at1/2 time of the game with my question

Charlie P. 10-23-2010 07:19 PM

Lockheed M-21 - Cool looking variant of the RS-71 (SR-71). Not that the Blackbird isn't pretty cool looking itself.
http://www.museumofflight.org/files/...kbird-3_P1.jpg

Ernie P. 10-23-2010 07:53 PM

Rats! I forgot about the three YF-12 interceptor prototypes. There were *four* offspring of the A-12. Sorry for the mis-information. Thanks; Ernie P.

Many people forget the A-12 gave birth to three offspring: The SR-71 Blackbird, the M-21 Mother ship and the D-21 Drone (the Daughter).

The Lockheed YF-12 was an American prototype interceptor aircraft, which the United States Air Force evaluated as a development of the highly-secret Lockheed A-12 that also spawned the now famous SR-71 Blackbird.

Ram-bro 10-23-2010 08:11 PM

OK here goes, the name of the plane and the ship
1. only 6 were produced
2. 4 of them went down with the ship
3. the 2 remaining became immediately obsolete with the loss of this aircraft carrier:D

Charlie P. 10-23-2010 08:19 PM

Curtiss F9C-2 Sparrowhawk parasite fighters?

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/i...00/h77428t.jpg

Ram-bro 10-23-2010 08:21 PM

darn Charlie, your 1/2 right. What was the name of the ship?

Charlie P. 10-23-2010 08:29 PM

USSMakon. Both went down, (Akron and Makon), theMakonwith Sparrowhawks.

Four F9C-2 scoutplanes carried aboard were lost with the airship.

Ernie P. 10-23-2010 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

USS Makon. Both went down, (Akron and Makon), the Makon with Sparrowhawks.

Four F9C-2 scoutplanes carried aboard were lost with the airship.

Please, Sir; "Macon". As in Macon, Georgia. Thanks; Ernie P.

Charlie P. 10-23-2010 09:10 PM

Ooops. Ma<u>c</u>on.

One of my two typing fingers was lax, there. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../red_smile.gif

Ram-bro 10-24-2010 12:06 AM

Charlei, your rightas usual. Sohow in the world were you so quik on the draw here? The board is yours

Ernie P. 10-24-2010 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

Charlei, your rightas usual. Sohow in the world were you so quik on the draw here? The board is yours
Charlie P.; we need a question, buddy. Thanks; Ernie P.

Charlie P. 10-24-2010 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a model of the Sparrowhawk as a kid.

Iwas going to ask what the last aircraft destroyed in WWII was . . . but Ifound three different answers "out there" so I'm not pulling the pin on that one.

So here a totally different question:

The Navy SEALS are famous for not leaving their own behind. But here's a question regarding the USMC. The Marines operated two of these aircraft within the US, but just before WWII they were transferred to a non-military base in neutral territorythat was "sponsored" partly by the USNavy and other USgovernment agencies. In 1941 thesetwo aircraftwere abandoned.Oneat the base and another was used to evacuate that base but also abandoned shortly thereafter. One is still on the base, the other presumed lost at sea . . . after landing and the crew and passengers walking off. What is it.

metaldriver 10-24-2010 09:51 PM

Curtiss Condor