RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9452979-knowledge-quiz-warbird-wiz.html)

Ernie P. 12-01-2010 12:26 AM

RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

ORIGINAL: mobyal

And if you mean Army Air Corps-operated, then P-4os shot down a couple of Japanese airplanes 12/7/41, at Pearl Harbor. The ''OFFICIAL'' entry of the US into WWII wasn't until the 8th of December, 1941, when the Congress voted to declare war..
I'm talking about the first official victory for the P-40. No restrictions on who was flying the plane. Thanks; Ernie P.

Ernie P. 12-01-2010 12:32 AM

ORIGINAL: P-40K-5

In June 1941, Caldwell, who was serving at the time with No. 250 Squadron RAF in Egypt, and flying as F/O Jack Hamlyn's wingman, recorded in his log book that he was involved in the first air combat victory for the P-40
Very close, P-40K-5; but that victory wasn't officially recognized. No one saw the plane go down. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: When was the first official air combat victory for the P-40?

Clues:

(1) It was before the official entry of the United States to WWII.

(2) The victory was scored in the Meditterranean area of operations.

Experten109/40 12-01-2010 07:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Ernie P.

In June 1941, Caldwell, who was serving at the time with No. 250 Squadron RAF in Egypt, and flying as F/O Jack Hamlyn's wingman, recorded in his log book that he was involved in the first air combat victory for the P-40
Very close, P-40K-5; but that victory wasn't officially recognized. No one saw the plane go down. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

hahaI knew that answer was coming. Neville duke claimed kills in October of 1941, Peter Wyleham-Barnes September 1941, Maurice Hards claimed kills in August 1941, Bob Whittle August 1941.
Vladmir Krostnovich claimed 2 kills inMay1941. its very hard to prove who got what and when. The Germans claim that there first loss of an aircraft in N. Afrika was a JU 87 near
El Gamil Egypt on 18th September 1941. that was most likely Barnes with No.73 Squadron who got that one. official claims have been so *******ized over the years the best bet would
be to check the 'enimies' records to get a clearer understanding. those rarely change.

Ernie P. 12-01-2010 05:09 PM

[/quote]
haha I knew that answer was coming. Neville duke claimed kills in October of 1941, Peter Wyleham-Barnes September 1941, Maurice Hards claimed kills in August 1941, Bob Whittle August 1941.
Vladmir Krostnovich claimed 2 kills in August 1941. its very hard to prove who got what and when. The Germans claim that there first loss of an aircraft in N. Afrika was a JU 87 near
El Gamil Egypt on 18th September 1941. that was most likely Barnes with No.73 Squadron who got that one. official claims have been so *******ized over the years the best bet would
be to check the 'enimies' records to get a clearer understanding. those rarely change.

[/quote]

Well, P-40K-5; I have to admit you have a really good point on the dubious nature of some of the "official" kills recorded. Nevertheless, they are what's written into the record books, at least for the present. Again... your first answer was very, very close. In fact, I really don't understand how you managed to come up with Caldwell's claim without also coming up with the exact answer I want; the first official victory by the P-40. Recheck your source; and I'll bet you see the answer. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(3) The first official victory was probably at least as dubious as the claim by Caldwell, which was disallowed. Nevertheless, it was allowed; and stands as the first official victory for the P-40.

Experten109/40 12-01-2010 05:36 PM

bah! nevermind. whats the saying... arguing on the internet is like the special olympics......

Well, P-40K-5; I have to admit you have a really good point on the dubious nature of some of the "official" kills recorded. Nevertheless, they are what's written into the record books, at least for the present. Again... your first answer was very, very close. In fact, I really don't understand how you managed to come up with Caldwell's claim without also coming up with the exact answer I want; the first official victory by the P-40. Recheck your source; and I'll bet you see the answer. Thanks; Ernie P.
what do you wanna hear? Jack Hamlyn? Tomahawk IIB?

Ernie P. 12-01-2010 06:11 PM

bah! nevermind. whats the saying... arguing on the internet is like the special olympics......

Well, P-40K-5; I have to admit you have a really good point on the dubious nature of some of the ''official'' kills recorded. Nevertheless, they are what's written into the record books, at least for the present. Again... your first answer was very, very close. In fact, I really don't understand how you managed to come up with Caldwell's claim without also coming up with the exact answer I want; the first official victory by the P-40. Recheck your source; and I'll bet you see the answer. Thanks; Ernie P.
what do you wanna hear? Jack Hamlyn? Tomahawk IIB?
Yes; that's what I wanted to hear. FWIW, I'm not arguing about anything. Jack Hamlyn is officially recognized as having scored the first victory in a P-40 on 8 June, 1941. And you are up, Sir. Thanks; Ernie P.

In June 1941, Caldwell, who was serving at the time with No. 250 Squadron RAF in Egypt, and flying as F/O Jack Hamlyn's wingman, recorded in his log book that he was involved in the first air combat victory for the P-40. This was a CANT Z.1007 bomber on 6 June. The claim was not officially recognized, as the crash of the CANT was not witnessed.

The first official victory occurred on 8 June, when Hamlyn and Flt Sgt Tom Paxton destroyed a CANT Z.1007 from 211a Squadriglia of the Regia Aeronautica, over Alexandria.
On 8 June Flying Officer Hamlyn and Sergeant Paxton found a Cant Z.1007 over Alexandria. The Italian bomber was attacked and shot down by Hamlyn. According to the squadron’s record book Hamlyn “engaged and damaged the aeroplane, which appeared to be about to make a forced landing when it was downed by shore batteries from a height of 600 ft”.

Hamlyn was nevertheless credited with the first victory claimed by a P-40 Tomahawk and also 250 Squadron’s first victory.
Two day later, on 10 June he claimed 250 Squadron’s second victory when he shot down a reconnaissance Ju88 from 2(F)./123.

Ernie P. 12-02-2010 03:04 PM

P-40K-5; you are up, Sir. Please post your question. Thanks; Ernie P.

Experten109/40 12-02-2010 04:29 PM

I'll come up with a good one. heh-heh-heh.

Ernie P. 12-02-2010 04:41 PM

I'll come up with a good one. heh-heh-heh.

Oh boy; here we go. When you say it will be a good one, I think it will. Thanks; Ernie P.

Experten109/40 12-02-2010 06:37 PM

A P-40K-1-CU shot down a Me 323 Giantall by itself. the only Me 323
Giant to be shot down in the MTO. Who flew that P-40 for their last
kill in the MTO?

Ernie P. 12-02-2010 07:07 PM

A P-40K-1-CU shot down a Me 323 Giant all by itself. the only Me 323
kill in the MTO?
By MTO, you mean the Mediteranean Theatre of Operations, correct? I think quite a number of Me-323's were destroyed while carrying supplies into North Africa. Thanks; Ernie P.

Experten109/40 12-02-2010 07:22 PM

A P-40K-1-CU shot down a Me 323 Giantall by itself. the only Me 323
kill in the MTO?
By MTO, you mean the Mediteranean Theatre of Operations, correct? I think quite a number of Me-323's were destroyed while carrying supplies into North Africa. Thanks; Ernie P.
symantics... ok then, this one was near Castel Benito, Lybia, Afrika, January 1943.

original question:

"A P-40K-1-CU shot down a Me 323 Giantall by itself. the only Me 323
kill in the MTO?"

Ernie P. 12-03-2010 05:32 AM

A P-40K-1-CU shot down a Me 323 Giant all by itself. the only Me 323
kill in the MTO?
James Francis Edwards. Details to follow when I have time. Thanks; Ernie P.

Ernie P. 12-03-2010 03:45 PM

The details on James Francis Edwards as promised. Thanks; Ernie P.

Eddie was awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal on January 31, 1943. On
February 4, 1943 he received the Distinguished Flying Cross. Eddie was
one of the first top scoring legends to emerge from the North Africa
Campaign. By the end of January 1943 he was credited with 11 confirmed
aerial victories. By the end of the North African Campaign Eddie was the
top ace of his squadron. All of Eddie's aerial combat in Africa was
while flying the P-40.

The P-40L illustrated above was flown by Eddie from March through May
1943. In this P-40 Eddie scored five of his last aerial victories in
North Africa. One of the Luftwaffe aircraft Eddie shot down was the
giant Messerschmitt Me-323. Eddie was leading the flight as they came
upon the behemoth Luftwaffe transport. Eddie said that he lined up on
the transport which filled his windscreen. Eddie fired all six
fifty-caliber machine guns into the Me-323. His gun fire was devastating
causing the aircraft to crumple up like a kite on fire which fell
head-long into the sea.

His final tally was 15 enemy aircraft destroyed while sharing in the
destruction of three other enemy aircraft with fellow pilots. Eddie is
also credited with probably destroying eight more enemy aircraft in that
he damaged them severely but no one witnessed the damaged aircraft
crash. Eddie was credited with damaging five other enemy fighters but
just scoring visual hits but no lethal strikes. During ground attacks,
Eddie was credited with destroying 9 enemy aircraft and damaging 3
others on their airfields. Finally, James Edwards ended his combat
career as the third highest scoring Canadian Ace of World War Two.

Experten109/40 12-03-2010 04:13 PM

so what gave it away? good job, your up.

Ernie P. 12-03-2010 06:30 PM

Actually, no one thing gave it away. The timing made it pretty obvious we would be talking about an RAF flyer, rather than an American unit. From there, it was just all plug and chug. I'll have my question shortly. Thanks; Ernie P.

Ernie P. 12-04-2010 02:03 AM

Sorry, Guys; I've been having trouble getting on RCU. Here you go. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What WWI fighter do I describe?

Clues:

(1) It was one of the best designs; possibly the best.

(2) The seating position was a bit different. Visibility was excellent, though.

da Rock 12-04-2010 04:29 AM

Sopwith Dolphin

Top wing was about neck height to the pilot, so visibility above was unbeatable.

It was powered by the engine used in the SE5a, yet employed better streamlining than that bus, so it was appreciably faster. It's airframe was very much a developed Camel but with slightly higher aspect ratio wings. That and a couple other improvements gave it the best high altitude performance of a fighter seen at that time. It retained both speed and agility at altitude very much better than previous fighters. They still chose not to carry oxygen.

It was one of the first to have more than 2 machine guns strapped on the suckers. Seeing the two extra ones slapped on the sucker, a number of other forward thinkers realized those 2 less than well thought out additions (they pointed UP and were relatively useless) could be easily carried, and would be better placed. So they placed them outboard the prop arc on the lower wings. Taa Daa, a 4 gun ship with all the guns worth carrying.

It was used for high altitude interception quite a bit thanks to it's speed and agility up there.
It was also used quite a bit as a ground pounder. That was actually a result of upper management finally thinking out the tactics of warfare of that time and stumbling into the understanding of coordination of forces. They were actually employing the features of blitzkrieg, although they didn't have the mobility to go very far or very fast.

Ernie P. 12-04-2010 06:18 AM

ORIGINAL: da Rock

Sopwith Dolphin

Top wing was about neck height to the pilot, so visibility above was unbeatable.

It was powered by the engine used in the SE5a, yet employed better streamlining than that bus, so it was appreciably faster. It's airframe was very much a developed Camel but with slightly higher aspect ratio wings. That and a couple other improvements gave it the best high altitude performance of a fighter seen at that time. It retained both speed and agility at altitude very much better than previous fighters. They still chose not to carry oxygen.

It was one of the first to have more than 2 machine guns strapped on the suckers. Seeing the two extra ones slapped on the sucker, a number of other forward thinkers realized those 2 less than well thought out additions (they pointed UP and were relatively useless) could be easily carried, and would be better placed. So they placed them outboard the prop arc on the lower wings. Taa Daa, a 4 gun ship with all the guns worth carrying.

It was used for high altitude interception quite a bit thanks to it's speed and agility up there.
It was also used quite a bit as a ground pounder. That was actually a result of upper management finally thinking out the tactics of warfare of that time and stumbling into the understanding of coordination of forces. They were actually employing the features of blitzkrieg, although they didn't have the mobility to go very far or very fast.
You lookin' over my shoulder or something? Right on the money! A hit with the first shot! You are up, Sir. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What WWI fighter do I describe?

Clues:

(1) It was one of the best designs; possibly the best.

(2) The seating position was a bit different. Visibility was excellent, though.

(3) Engine problems were a concern initially, especially with the reduction gearing.

(4) A very fast plane, with an excellent rate of climb. It was quite maneuverable and an easy plane to fly; very popular with the pilots and a real favorite for those who favored the “boom and zoom” tactics.

(5) Some were fitted with roll bars.

(6) One of the few WWI planes with negative stagger wings.

(7) A British plane; but the top scorer in the type was an American.

The Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin was a British fighter aircraft manufactured by the Sopwith Aviation Company. It was used by the Royal Flying Corps and its successor, the Royal Air Force, during the First World War. The Dolphin entered service on the Western Front in early 1918 and proved to be a formidable fighter. The aircraft was not retained in the postwar inventory, however, and was retired shortly after the war.

The highest-scoring Dolphin unit was No. 87 Squadron, which shot down 89 enemy aircraft in the type. Pilots of No. 79 Squadron shot down 64 enemy aircraft in the eight and one half months that the aircraft was at the front.

The top two Dolphin aces served in No. 79 Squadron. Captain Francis W. Gillet, an American, scored 20 victories with the type. Lieutenant Ronald Burns Bannerman, a New Zealander, scored 17 victories. Another notable ace, Major Albert Desbrisay Carter of No. 19 Squadron, obtained approximately 13 of his 29 confirmed victories in the Dolphin.
The scarcity and unreliability of the French-built Hispano-Suiza 8B engine proved to be the Dolphin's most serious shortcoming. Use of insufficiently hardened metal in the pinion gears led to numerous failures of the reduction gearing, particularly in engines built by the French firm Brasier. The engine also suffered persistent lubrication problems. Limited production capacity for the Hispano-Suiza engine, and the priority afforded to French aircraft, slowed Dolphin deliveries. Availability of the Hispano-Suiza improved in early 1918 as the French firm Emile Mayen began deliveries on an order placed by the British Admiralty.

Francis Warrington Gillet (28 November 1895 – 21 December 1969) was an American flying ace who served in both the American and British armed forces as a pilot during the First World War.

The squadron was flying the Sopwith Dolphin, an unusual biplane distinguished by its "negative stagger" wing arrangement, a type Gillet had not flown before. After becoming acclimated to the Dolphin and honing his combat skills, he scored his first victory in August. From then to November 1918 Gillet was credited with 17 German airplanes and 3 observation balloons, all assessed as destroyed. The 100% ratio of destroyed was extremely unusual, as most British Commonwealth aces had numerous "out of control" credits.

Though he flew exclusively with the British, Gillet's record of 20 victories ranked him second among all American fliers in the Great War, behind Eddie Rickenbacker. He was promoted to Captain and served for a short time as Commanding Officer of his squadron. His decorations included the British Distinguished Flying Cross and bar and the Belgian Croix de Guerre.

da Rock 12-04-2010 08:24 AM

And props to you for providing the in-depth profile of the sucker.

I figure to respond with somewhat of a softball.

The Dolphin was tasked mostly with high altitude jobs.

What airplane was it most apt to encounter when doing those high altitude intercepts?

Experten109/40 12-04-2010 10:07 AM

Zeppelin L-49.

Ernie P. 12-04-2010 11:38 AM

What airplane was it most apt to encounter when doing those high altitude intercepts?
Well, either of two aircraft; depending on the timeframe and exact location. Many of the Dolphins were kept in England to oppose the German bombers going for Londan. I'd say probaly the Gotha G.V., because they flew more raids; but there were just as many Zeppelin-Staaken R.VI's built. Thanks; Ernie P.

Gotha G.V.
The Gotha Bomber was produced in the autumn of 1916 when the limitations of the Zeppelin as a raider had become obvious. The German High Command ordered that 30 Gotha bombers were to be ready for a daylight raid on London on February 1st, 1917, but the machines were not ready until May. The first daylight raid on London was carried out by 14 Gothas on June 13th, 1917. On July 7th, 22 Gothas raided London. Night raids began in August of 1917 and continued until May 1918 when they were abandoned because of the increasingly heavy losses. At peak employment, in April 1918, 36 G.Vs were in service.

Operational use of the G.IV demonstrated that the incorporation of the fuel tanks into the engine nacelles was a mistake. In a crash landing the tanks could rupture and spill fuel onto the hot engines. This posed a serious problem because landing accidents caused 75% of operational losses. Gothaer produced the G.V, which housed its fuel tanks in the center of the fuselage. The smaller engine nacelles were mounted on struts above the lower wing.

Zeppelin-Staaken R.VI
This aircraft was mainly used for night bombing raids on London. The plane had enclosed crew cabins and the engines could be worked on during flight.

The Zeppelin-Staaken R.VI was a four-engined German biplane strategic bomber of World War I, and the only so-called Riesenflugzeug ("giant aircraft") design built in any quantity.

The R.VI was the most numerous of the R-bombers built by Germany, and also one of the first closed-cockpit military aircraft (but the first was Russian aircraft Sikorsky Ilya Muromets). The bomber was reputedly the largest wooden aircraft ever built until the advent of the Hughes H-4 Hercules built by Howard Hughes, its wingspan of 138 feet 5.5 inches (42.20 m) nearly equaling that of the World War II B-29 Superfortress.

Ernie P. 12-04-2010 11:49 AM

Of course, if you're speaking only of operational units located in France, they were more likely to be sent to intercept high flying German observation aircraft, such as the Rumpler C.VII. Thanks; Ernie P.

The aircraft was fast, maneuverable, and easy to fly, though a sharp stall was noted. When functioning properly, the Hispano-Suiza afforded the Dolphin excellent performance at high altitude. Accordingly, the Dolphin was often deployed against German reconnaissance aircraft such as the Rumpler C.VII, which routinely operated at altitudes above 20,000 ft.

da Rock 12-04-2010 12:50 PM

lol
You got "it". I was originally going to phrase the question, "which two aircraft". So you basically answered both questions, the one asked and the one that wasn't even asked.

Ernie P. 12-04-2010 08:16 PM

lol
You got ''it''. I was originally going to phrase the question, ''which two aircraft''. So you basically answered both questions, the one asked and the one that wasn't even asked.
Thank you, Sir. I've been in the chair a lot lately; so let's get some one else to ask a question. Here's a softball for you guys. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What pilot do I describe?

Clues:

(1) He was an ace in two wars.