RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9452979-knowledge-quiz-warbird-wiz.html)

Hydro Junkie 04-03-2020 12:34 PM

How about the P-47 as compared to the P-51? The Mustang was the better performer but more fragile while the Thunderbolt was too big and heavy to be a true "dogfighter" but it could fly home with half the airplane shot away.

stang151 04-03-2020 12:37 PM

How about the B-24 Liberator compared to the B-17

Top_Gunn 04-03-2020 12:56 PM

And a tip: The Hurricane should be compared to the Spitfire; not the Bf 109.

I compared the Hurricane with the 109 because your Clue 2 said your target airplane was better than any enemy aircraft at the time. So a comparison with an ene4my aircraft seemed necessary. I'm not sure the Hurricane was better, but the argument could be made. I assumed that the Hurricane's being somewhat ignored in comparison with the Spitfire was obvious, and not worth mentioning. Have I misunderstood something here?

Ernie P. 04-03-2020 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn (Post 12594104)
I compared the Hurricane with the 109 because your Clue 2 said your target airplane was better than any enemy aircraft at the time. So a comparison with an ene4my aircraft seemed necessary. I'm not sure the Hurricane was better, but the argument could be made. I assumed that the Hurricane's being somewhat ignored in comparison with the Spitfire was obvious, and not worth mentioning. Have I misunderstood something here?

Al; maybe I, rather than you, missed something. I'm just pointing out that our subject aircraft suffered only in comparison with another friendly fighter; which has led to undue criticism of its abilities. It was a good fighter; just not the best of its service. And since we have had two excellent guesses, though both incorrect, I'll award two bonus clues in addition to the scheduled evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

1. This aircraft was, by all accounts, a perfectly acceptable combat aircraft.

2. It was, in fact, probably superior to any enemy combat aircraft of the same type and flying at the time.

3. It was, however, always compared unfavorably to another aircraft of the time.

4. The other aircraft was flying at the same time; and flying for the same side.

5. And so our subject aircraft became the “ugly sister” to the preferred aircraft.

6. Still, significant numbers of our subject aircraft were produced; although not nearly as many as the “preferred” aircraft.

7. The pilots who flew both were almost universally adamant in their loudly voiced preference of the other aircraft.

8. And, they made their voices heard.

9. Although at least two pilots preferred our subject aircraft.

FlyerInOKC 04-03-2020 02:44 PM

There was a lot of comparison between the Spitfire and the Hurricane.

elmshoot 04-03-2020 05:00 PM

Fiat G55

Ernie P. 04-03-2020 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by elmshoot (Post 12594161)
Fiat G55

Not the G55, Sparky; but here's a bonus clue for your efforts. Thanks; Ernie P.

2. It was, in fact, probably superior to any enemy combat aircraft of the same type and flying at the time.

3. It was, however, always compared unfavorably to another aircraft of the time.

4. The other aircraft was flying at the same time; and flying for the same side.

5. And so our subject aircraft became the “ugly sister” to the preferred aircraft.

6. Still, significant numbers of our subject aircraft were produced; although not nearly as many as the “preferred” aircraft.

7. The pilots who flew both were almost universally adamant in their loudly voiced preference of the other aircraft.

10. And, since one of the two was very well known; and part of the selection team; the authorities produced our subject aircraft. Which gave him the opportunity to fly our subject in combat.

Ernie P. 04-04-2020 02:31 AM

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

10. And, since one of the two was very well known; and part of the selection team; the authorities produced our subject aircraft. Which gave him the opportunity to fly our subject in combat.

11. However, I can find no record of this pilot actually flying our subject aircraft in combat.

Ernie P. 04-04-2020 07:12 AM

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

11. However, I can find no record of this pilot actually flying our subject aircraft in combat.

12. He did, however, score a number of victories while flying the “preferred” aircraft.

elmshoot 04-04-2020 03:03 PM

While I don't know the plane this sure sounds like WW1 Germany and Richthofen or some of his gang of aces.
Sparky

Ernie P. 04-04-2020 03:43 PM

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

12. He did, however, score a number of victories while flying the “preferred” aircraft.

13. Like everyone else, when he had a choice, he preferred to plant his backside in the other aircraft.

Hydro Junkie 04-04-2020 05:15 PM

That could almost be any pilot from any war. Try to take a B-24 pilot and put him in a B-17 and he'd hate it, the B-17 was too slow and had less range. The B-17 could take more damage and keep flying but that was a minor point

Ernie P. 04-04-2020 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12594350)
That could almost be any pilot from any war. Try to take a B-24 pilot and put him in a B-17 and he'd hate it, the B-17 was too slow and had less range. The B-17 could take more damage and keep flying but that was a minor point

Sir; perhaps so. But, most pilots don't recommend one aircraft when they prefer to fly another. To me that's an interesting point. Here's a bonus clue to acknowledge your point. Thanks; Ernie P.

13. Like everyone else, when he had a choice, he preferred to plant his backside in the other aircraft.

14. Our subject aircraft could dive even faster than the preferred aircraft.

Ernie P. 04-05-2020 03:44 AM

15. And could at least match it in level flight.

Ernie P. 04-05-2020 02:47 PM

Afternoon and Evening clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

16. But our subject aircraft was usually referred to as being heavy or clumsy on the controls.

17. While the preferred aircraft was light, quick and seemed to respond faster to control input.

Ernie P. 04-06-2020 08:49 AM

Sorry, guys; I'm being lazy today. Morning and afternoon clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

16. But our subject aircraft was usually referred to as being heavy or clumsy on the controls.

17. While the preferred aircraft was light, quick and seemed to respond faster to control input.

18. And it almost seemed to anticipate control inputs.

19. The comparison of a plow horse and a race horse seems appropriate.

Ernie P. 04-06-2020 02:30 PM

20. Delivery of our subject aircraft was delayed by difficulties with the cooling system.

Ernie P. 04-07-2020 03:17 AM

20. Delivery of our subject aircraft was delayed by difficulties with the cooling system.

21. Even so, from first flight to first delivery to the field was only a matter of four months or so.

FlyerInOKC 04-07-2020 05:20 AM

This is a good one I haven't a clue!

Ernie P. 04-07-2020 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC (Post 12594822)
This is a good one I haven't a clue!

Thanks! Maybe this afternoon clue will lead you in the right direction. Thanks; Ernie P.

21. Even so, from first flight to first delivery to the field was only a matter of four months or so.

22. The design of the wings was openly copied from a foreign design.

Ernie P. 04-07-2020 01:46 PM

23. One noted for being very rugged, and able to dive without any fear of the wings folding up or being damaged.

Ernie P. 04-08-2020 02:48 AM

23. One noted for being very rugged, and able to dive without any fear of the wings folding up or being damaged.

24. And one specifically noted by our subject aircraft’s military air service as being well designed.

Ernie P. 04-08-2020 08:27 AM

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

24. And one specifically noted by our subject aircraft’s military air service as being well designed.

25. In fact, our subject aircraft was created, in a sense, by combining that copied wing with an earlier aircraft from the same factory as our subject. There were some changes made as testing progressed, but essentially our subject was created thusly.

Ernie P. 04-08-2020 08:31 AM

I'm a bit surprised Ol' Sparky hasn't figured this one out yet. He's smart, Sparky is. Thanks; Ernie P.

Ernie P. 04-08-2020 01:06 PM

25. In fact, our subject aircraft was created, in a sense, by combining that copied wing with an earlier aircraft from the same factory as our subject. There were some changes made as testing progressed, but essentially our subject was created thusly.

26. The airfoil section was rather thin, as was the wing that was copied.