RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9452979-knowledge-quiz-warbird-wiz.html)

Hydro Junkie 01-30-2020 01:29 PM

Okay, now you've eliminated all dive and torpedo bombers, which leaves the following:
Aichi E13A
Aichi E16A
Arado Ar 196
Curtiss SO3C Seamew
Dornier Do 22
Latecoere 298
Northrop N-3Pb Nomad
Vought OS2U Kingfisher
Yokosuka E14Y

FlyerInOKC 01-30-2020 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12579945)
Okay, now you've eliminated all dive and torpedo bombers, which leaves the following:
Aichi E13A
Aichi E16A
Arado Ar 196
Curtiss SO3C Seamew
Dornier Do 22
Latecoere 298
Northrop N-3Pb Nomad
Vought OS2U Kingfisher
Yokosuka E14Y

Nope I was wrong it can't be the devastator or its replacement the Grumman TBF Avenger. Both the Avenger and the Devastator used a three man crew and the second clue says its a two place airplane. I should have looked closer the first time. I did find it interesting a Avenger was what President George H Bush piloted and Paul Newman became a gunner on an Avenger when his color blindness prevented his acceptance for pilot training.

Ernie P. 01-30-2020 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by stang151 (Post 12579910)
No not the Val.

1. A conventional low wing monoplane.

2. Two place with a round engine up front.

3. Used by its home countries Navy.

4. It is a float plane

5. Used as a spotter aircraft but also could be used in the attack role.

Sir; how about the Paul? There are others that fit, but this is my best guess. Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: Aichi E16A

The Aichi E16A Zuiun (瑞雲 "Auspicious Cloud", Allied reporting name "Paul") was a two-seat reconnaissanceseaplane operated by the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II.

The Aichi E16A originated from a 1939 specification for a replacement for the Aichi E13A, which at that time had yet to be accepted by the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service (IJNAS). Disagreements about the requirements in the 14-Shi specification prevented most manufacturers from submitting designs, but in 1941 a new 16-Shi specification was drafted by the IJNAS around the Aichi AM-22 design which had already been made by Aichi engineers Kishiro Matsuo and Yasuhiro Ozawa. The first AM-22, which first got the experimental designation Navy Experimental 16-Shi Reconnaissance Seaplane and later the short designation E16A1, was completed by May 1942 and was a conventional, low-wing monoplane equipped with two floats and had the unusual (for a seaplane) feature of being equipped with dive brakes, located in the front legs of the float struts, to allow it to operate in a secondary role as a dive bomber.

FlyerInOKC 01-31-2020 05:49 AM

I think I will throw out the Vought OS2U Kingfisher.

elmshoot 01-31-2020 06:08 AM

Curtiss SC-1/2 Seahawk my did flew them in WW2

Sparky

FlyerInOKC 01-31-2020 06:17 AM

This fun! We haven't had this kind of participation in some time.

stang151 01-31-2020 08:04 AM

Well, other than the shotgun blast by Hydro , there are no correct guesses yet. Soooo.....

4. It is a float plane

6. The fact of only one mark and low production numbers ,126, do not reflect on the success of this plane.

7. Caused quite a stir when it appeared over it's enemies homelands.

FlyerInOKC 01-31-2020 08:26 AM

How about the Hansa-Brandenburg W.29?

stang151 01-31-2020 08:45 AM

No , not yet
Another clue,

4. It is a float plane

6. The fact of only one mark and low production numbers ,126, do not reflect on the success of this plane.

8. The ships that this plane was deployed on were , at the time, among the largest of their class

Ernie P. 01-31-2020 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by stang151 (Post 12580092)
No , not yet
Another clue,

4. It is a float plane

8. The ships that this plane was deployed on were , at the time, among the largest of their class

Okay; the other one. How about the Yokosuka E14Y? Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: The Yokosuka E14Y

The Yokosuka E14Y (Allied reporting name Glen) was an Imperial Japanese Navyreconnaissanceseaplane transported aboard and launched from Japanese submarine aircraft carriers such as the I-25 during World War II. The Japanese Navy designation was "Type 0 Small Reconnaissance Seaplane"

The E14Y was used for several Japanese reconnaissance missions during the Pacific War.

On 26 February 1942 the Japanese submarine I-25, under the command of Captain Meiji Tagami, was off the northern tip of King Island in Bass Strait off the coast of Victoria, Australia, when an E14Y was launched on a reconnaissance flight over the Port of Melbourne. The pilot and observer/gunner were in the air for three hours, during which time they successfully flew over Port Phillip Bay and observed the ships at anchor off Melbourne before returning to land on its floats beside the submarine, where it was winched aboard and disassembled.

The E14Y is the only Japanese aircraft to overfly New Zealand during World War II (and only the second enemy aircraft after the German Friedrichshafen FF.33 'Wölfchen' during World War I). On 8 March 1942 Warrant Officer Nobuo Fujita photographed the Allied build-up in Wellington harbour in a "Glen" launched from the Japanese submarine I-25. On 13 March he flew over Auckland, before the I-25 proceeded to Australia. On the night of 24/25 May Warrant Officer Susumo Ito flew a "Glen" over Auckland from the Japanese submarine I-21. Just days later, in the same aircraft, Ito flew the reconnaissance flight preceding the sole Japanese attack on Sydney Harbour in which 21 seamen were killed when HMAS Kuttabul sank on 1 June 1942.

Type A1 submarine I-9 was caught off the New Zealand coast in early 1943; however, no Japanese aircraft was observed, and any records of overflights were lost when the submarine was sunk.

The E14Y also has the distinction of being the only submarine-based aircraft to drop bombs on the United States during World War II, in an incident known as The Lookout Air Raid. On 9 September 1942 , Chief Warrant Officer Nobuo Fujita, a pilot in the Japanese Imperial Navy, and his crewman, Petty Officer Shoji Okuda, surfaced in submarine I-25 off the coast of Oregon near Brookings. The seaplane had folding wings and was transported in a watertight capsule attached to the deck of the submarine. The bombs – 76 kg (168 lb) incendiaries intended to cause forest fires – caused no injuries or real damage.

A total of 126 E14Ys were produced.

Hydro Junkie 01-31-2020 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by elmshoot (Post 12580055)
Curtiss SC-1/2 Seahawk my did flew them in WW2

Sparky

Wouldn't be the Seahawk. The Seahawk was a single seat float fighter, in many ways like the Japanese Rufe/A6M

FlyerInOKC 01-31-2020 12:24 PM

Has anyone mentioned the Curtis SOC Seahawk? It had a crew of one but a second spot for a passenger or observer.

Hydro Junkie 01-31-2020 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC (Post 12580140)
Has anyone mentioned the Curtis SOC Seahawk? It had a crew of one but a second spot for a passenger or observer.

Elmshoot did, to which I replied in the post above. Here is what I found on the two seat version:
Beyond the SC-1 production model there existed the proposed SC-2 - a version featuring a second crewman with appropriately revised cockpit and canopy. This version was not acted on despite some nine prototypes being commissioned.

FlyerInOKC 01-31-2020 01:01 PM

I can't help but think we are over thinking this and the answer will be obvious when we see it.

stang151 01-31-2020 01:01 PM

Ernie got it , the E14Y "Glen". I have always liked the E14Y ,in part because of the allied code name "Glen", which is my first name, but also because I have a thing for subs. I have an old Nichimo plastic kit of the I class sub with a "Glen" that I plan to build someday.
OK Ernie I think that means you'r up.

Hydro Junkie 01-31-2020 01:55 PM

It didn't hurt when I narrowed it down to only nine possible planes and you verified that I had it in my list. I just didn't have a chance to go more in depth on any of them

Ernie P. 01-31-2020 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by stang151 (Post 12580147)
Ernie got it , the E14Y "Glen". I have always liked the E14Y ,in part because of the allied code name "Glen", which is my first name, but also because I have a thing for subs. I have an old Nichimo plastic kit of the I class sub with a "Glen" that I plan to build someday.
OK Ernie I think that means you'r up.

Thank you, Sir. A good effort on your part. We're happy to have you on board. I'll post something tomorrow. Thanks; Ernie P.

Ernie P. 01-31-2020 11:21 PM

Okay; here we go again. Good luck. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

1. This aircraft was one of the truly outstanding aircraft of WWII.

2. It was designed as a high speed bomber.

Hydro Junkie 02-01-2020 01:34 AM

B-25 MItchell

Ernie P. 02-01-2020 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12580254)
B-25 MItchell

Sir; good guess, but not the Mitchell. But you have earned a bonus clue to aid your research. Thanks; Ernie P.

3. But it also was intended to serve as a dive bomber.

Top_Gunn 02-01-2020 05:29 AM

Well, the Germans had the odd idea that almost all of their bombers had to be capable of dive bombing, and the Ju 88 was both fast and an outstanding airplane, so I'll toss that in, although it would be out of character for Ernie to give us that easy a target.

FlyerInOKC 02-01-2020 09:58 AM

I am going to go with something obscure, the German Arado Ar 234 Blitz.

Ernie P. 02-01-2020 11:37 AM

Well, two guesses and neither correct. But that means it's also time for a couple of bonus clues. And Al is correct; this one isn't *that* easy, although it also isn't all that hard. And there is a somewhat remote connection to the Ju 88. Thanks; Ernie P.

3. But it also was intended to serve as a dive bomber.

4. It was produced in versions tailored for use as a torpedo bomber.

5. And other versions served as interceptors.

Hydro Junkie 02-01-2020 12:15 PM

How about the Bristol Blenheim?

stang151 02-01-2020 12:33 PM

The Bristol Blenheim/ Beaufort ? Just a wild guess.