RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   ESM F4U Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9664536-esm-f4u-build.html)

alanc 04-18-2010 01:21 PM

RE: ESM F4U Build

you can find the flap mod on here, these are the pictures i looked at, i just sank a brass tube itno the wing, and had the robarts a little prouder, all rack of the eye, but no big deal,

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,47668.0.html

LDM 04-18-2010 02:36 PM

Doc , I am one of the biggest advocates of moveing everything ahead of the Cg , I guess I missed you moveing any kind of functional weight and assumed you added dead -lead .

I am building an FW190 , everything even all 4 servos in the wing were moved forward .

aghost 04-18-2010 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I started on my ESM corsair around the end of March. Here are some pics of the ESM flap preparation and basically the finished product. The bottom of the wing looks quite busy with all the exposed hinges. I got some matching paint to kind of hide the hinges.

I have Sierra retacts and a G-38. I think the total dry weight will be about 16.5 lbs.

Its a nice looking plane.

Brian

spaul813 04-18-2010 04:42 PM

How did you match the paint Brian?

aghost 04-18-2010 07:11 PM

I took a piece (flap, elevator, whatever) for each color to a Home Depot store. They have a computer match system that did a pretty good job. I pick Behr's satin finish (water based) as the paint. Got a quart of each of the three colors at about $36 total. I'll probably spray some Lustercoat clear flat on these painted surfaces at some time. It makes the bottom look much better. I also used paint on the big shiny washers that are part of the upper surface of the aileron horns and all the screws on the servo trays.

Brian

DOC 04-18-2010 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the Home depot formula for the dark blue (flat) from another RCU thread and took it to our local store and they matched it from the numbers. Perfect !
Here is the nark Blue formula. I bought the 1/2 pint sample size.

DOC 04-18-2010 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: DOC

I got the Home depot formula for the dark blue (flat) from another RCU thread and took it to our local store and they matched it from the numbers. Perfect !
Here is the dark Blue formula. I bought the 1/2 pint sample size.

spaul813 04-18-2010 09:49 PM

Great! Thanks DOC!

alanc 04-19-2010 12:41 PM

after failing miserably to get them on here, i have sent DOC the email with the glassfibre horn design, hope he can get it on herei need more lessons in computery

SunnyFlyer09 04-19-2010 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: DOC

Here is the nark Blue formula. I bought the 1/2 pint sample size.
How are you going to lay the paint down? Airbrush? What are you going to cover it to make it fuel proof?

DOC 04-19-2010 01:27 PM

Thanks Alan, I got the drawing last night and forgot to send conformation. WE call that material G10. Thanks again.
Sunny,
I use a Passhe VL air brush and thin the paint about 22% if I go 25% it seems to run very easily, 30 Lb press. I try not to use much, I prefer taking it off as weathering.

DOC 04-22-2010 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The flap actuation is tricky and not to my liking. That long curved wire between the center and inside flap is " hokey". The Corsair had a webb between these sections, so I thought why not ! Here is a picture of the "webb" and also shows the step in the flap on the full size Corsair. note the flap is in the full down position (55 deg.). Also note: this is Ira Kepfords airplane.

DOC 04-22-2010 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I took a Tuff Grind wheel on my dremmel and cut a 1/16 groove in the 2 mating flaps , then fashioned a webb piece from 1/32 ply and glued it to the center flap. Works very well with no slop.[img][/img]

BobH 04-22-2010 11:48 AM

Doc, thats pretty much how the full scale flap is. As you probably already know :)

LDM 04-22-2010 04:48 PM

Doc , excellant work , I wanted to do that when I start and I was making it so much more complicated , its only glued on the center flap correct ?
then it slides in flap #1 as its deployed .
Did you curve the attachment and how far in did you cut ?

Also did you hindge the flaps first , over cut one flap side , have the incert slide all the way in on on flap and then pull the one side out to slide into the other when you glued it .

DOC 04-22-2010 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hinge first. Then remove the flap by opening the hinges with a small screwdriver( ~3/16" wide blade) and pull off backward. It may help to drop the flap a bit. I will put a band of shrink tube on the flaps after final assembly to prevent accidents.
Cut as deep as the tuff grind will go. the slit should just clear the bottom sheeting.

LDM 04-22-2010 10:02 PM

excellant Doc , thanks again

DOC 04-28-2010 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The flaps work well with a standard servo. they are very well engineered any have no binding. Im very pleased !

I did a taxi test yesterday and am very pleased with that also. The aerovate 26 runs very well. using a Xoar 17x8 - 1500 to 7400rpm. I have about 25 minutes run time.
I also tryed a 3 blade Master Airscrew 16x10 - 1400 to 6900 rpm. Both props seem to produce ample pull. I intend to use the 2 blade 17-8 on the first flight. Forcast wind today are 30 to70 mph, so it'll be a few days in the future.
Home depot did a match on the Gray paint , it isn't perfect( i think its about 10% too much green), but its close.

spaul813 04-28-2010 06:05 PM

Hello everyone....need some input.

I'm just getting ready to start my build. Has anyone run acroos any parts of the directions you didn't feel were correct and you decided to modify them. Or if you have any pointers to make it easier I'd really appreciate any feedback I can get. Thanks all!

spaul813 04-30-2010 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: spaul813

Hello everyone....need some input.

I'm just getting ready to start my build. Has anyone run acroos any parts of the directions you didn't feel were correct and you decided to modify them. Or if you have any pointers to make it easier I'd really appreciate any feedback I can get. Thanks all!
...anyone...any input on the manual? Can I follow it straight forward as listed (I noticed the note on the CG) otherwise everything is okay? Thanks.

skillet92 04-30-2010 04:15 PM

DOC,
That is awesome. I am also putting this plane together and that is the best plan that I have seen yet for the flaps. Is there any binding at all?? I used Carbon Fiber between the inner and Middle flap and it works but there is a little play. I also have the Sierra's and a G-38 to go. I hope that it will come in around 17 pounds!!

VoughtF4U 04-30-2010 04:29 PM

Can one of you guys measure and post the inner diameter of the cowling and what the depth is from the firewall to the front edge of the cowling? Thanks...

skillet92 04-30-2010 04:35 PM

F4U mine is 6 and 1/16 from the fire wall. And I did the inner ring to mount it so the measurement is 8 and 3/8 top to bottom and 8 and 1/8 side to side. The ring is not completely round. Looks good mounted

DOC 04-30-2010 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spaul, The most obvious correction is the CG. It should be 11.0 cm to 12.0 (4 3/8" to 4 5/8" Wheels up/dry!).

Skillet, Mine came out @ 17.5 Lbs. w/tail Retract.
DO'C

LDM 04-30-2010 10:49 PM

wheels down ? I did not know you could so that with a rotating retract plane ? I thought it was always wheels up ?