Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
Reload this Page >

where do you buy these???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

where do you buy these???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Underaged Pilot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where do you buy these???

i was wondering
im thinking about
maybye a speedy boat would do how big are these???
Old 07-07-2004, 03:53 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: where do you buy these???

That depends on what club is local to your region.
There are two common scales, 1/144, and 1/72nd scale. There is a third scale 1/96th also.
If you buy a ship , and then find out that your local club fights a different scale, you will find yourself in a no target environment.

Research what clubs are in your area. Once you know what scale you need to build then consider purchasing a ship, a kit, or scratchbuilding the ship of your choice.

[8D]
Old 07-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Al Stein

Also.... when you say speedy, are you thinking of a model of some speedy original or are you thinking of a model that goes really fast?

For the most part, warship combat isn't a go-fast thing. You have to do good by shooting and avoiding rather than just by being faster, so there are speed limits that vary by the type of boat.

Size-wise, there is a really big variety. A Sub Chaser in 1/144 won't even be a foot long, but an aircraft carrier at 1/72 could be over 13 feet long. I'm just working into this and I chose my subject by length... the size of my car (18" to 50" across the back seat) and the scale used around here determined that I needed a ship way under 600 feet long, so I went for the Atlanta light cruisers.

How big of a boat do you think would work for you?
Old 07-07-2004, 04:41 PM
Sarges_heroes2003
My Feedback: (6)

most new people are advised to look at cruisers and small battle ships, class 4 & 5 i think. Im contemplating a class 5 BB (USS South Dakota) it would fall under the 28 sec. rule while longer bb's fall under the 24 sec. rule like most cruisers.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:43 AM
Underaged Pilot

speed limit???
i belong to an airplane club
i was thinking about maybye custom built with two .10????
a staitionary gun with a wireless camera with a dot????
Max Probaly: length 3Ft.
about aircraft carriers i would land rc planes on one which would be neat
so it needs to be scale?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20234.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	151879  
Old 07-09-2004, 08:59 AM
Al Stein

OK, time for a little bit of Back-to-basics... no right and wrong implied, just a little what to expect:

Model Warship Combat (as in the title of this forum) is pretty well defined in a lot of places. There are international organizations with lots and lots of members who make combat fun by keeping their ships comparable to each other. To make a bunch of model ships compete fairly, they agree to what scale the ships will be, how fast the ships can move, how many of what size guns they will fire, how easy it will be to shoot through the ship hulls, ... several things like that.

So, you don't to obey all (or any) of these rules UNLESS you want to do battle with other people. As soon as you want to have a battle, it's no fun if the ships aren't pretty evenly matched. Here's a link that will introduce more of what people do to make combat a workable and enjoyable thing... http://www.swampworks.com/Article-What%20Is.html
and here's one where they sell ship "kits"... http://floatingdrydock.com/model.htm

Like I said, none of it is mandatory, but when ask about shipos in the warship combat forum most people will think that this type of models and rules is what you're looking for.

Check out the sites, enjoy the pictures, ask more...
Old 07-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh boy, another Forum to Moderate!
I know very little about Combat boats but a little about the rules. Different clubs may have their own. Some will shoot BB's only, Some use 1/4" ball bearings. Electric only and all of the radio gear is stowed away safely in a waterproof box. Usually balsa hulls only limited to a certain thickness. The hulls are tested with a steel rod to make sure that it can be punctured. Points are given for hitting above, at or below the waterline. Speed is checked in Feet Per Minute. Bilge pump lines are restricted so that only so much water can be pumped out before sinking.
How did I do guys? Feel free to correct me. It's been a while since I saw anything on this.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:48 AM
Underaged Pilot

what are the limits for subs
how come theyre the cheapest
Old 07-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Sarges_heroes2003
My Feedback: (6)

subs in the 1/144 scale are really small, at least the ww2 subs are. right now I think there are a total of 1 combat model out there ready to go.
the subs use spurt guns, which "spurt" out 10-15 rounds (depending on ships documented armament) then come back to home port to re-arm. The modlers that built them for combat said they had more fun with destroyers and cruisers.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Underaged Pilot

well what would be fun is an aircraft carrier and put planes on it have bb guns on planes and the ship
Old 07-12-2004, 12:33 PM
lloydy

as far as i know aircraft carriers arnt used because they cant carry much/any arment, but its been a while sice ive been arround thses things so i dont know. ive only seen one though and that was more of a show model thing as oppose to a combat model
Old 03-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Wreno

Back to reality a bit. Look at a 1/144 scale airplane. Considering the diminutive size, you are going to fly it, and arm it? With today's technology? Not saying it is impossible, just VERY difficult. Even 1/72 scale is tough.

Also, for safety reasons, most clubs restrict guns to horizontal or below - no shooting upwards. Kind of impossible with planes, so guns would probably be prohibited. You would probably have more luck with bombs or torpedos. However, no pyrotechnics are allowed.

Ships, on the other hand are fun and effective. With today's technology. When technology catches up to the dreams, planes will certainly add to the fun.

Wreno
NTXBG
Old 11-25-2005, 06:56 PM
hpiguy