Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
Reload this Page >

What Radio Do you recommend?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

What Radio Do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 04:01 PM
Burger
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Radio Do you recommend?

I have a USS Houston that I'm putting together for combat. I was wondering what radio is the most popular, servo types, receiver, etc., and why. Tried and true installation methods that worked best and "what not to do" suggestions would certainly be a big help and appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: What Radio Do you recommend?

I use any and all servos that come cheap.
In the past, Ace radios were the easiest to modify. However the quality of the current manufacturer has received poor reviews.
Our club electronic guru was recommending JR radios, but ony because they supplied him with specs that allowed him to make modifications. However our members use every known radio in the biz. That really expensive Futaba CAP setup has been moderately popular, as it can be programmed to run several different boats.

A lot of people in our club just place servos where they are needed.
I take the time to put the reciever, ESC, steering and gun fire control in a water tight box to keep them functioning. This allows the boat to come back and continue playing even after being sunk.

Umi
Old 01-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Burger

Umi,

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!
Old 01-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Control

I like to stick with Futaba. There not that expensive, and there standard servos are very reliable. Benn using then for years in all my models and am yet to have one fail on me.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:58 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just learning how to quote.

[quote]ORIGINAL: woods767

I like to stick with Futaba. There not that expensive, and there standard servos are very reliable. Benn using then for years in all my models and am yet to have one fail on me.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:00 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trying agian

Old 03-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Wreno

If you haven't bought a radio yet, you might want to consider Polks Hobbies house brand. Due out in March, but looks like a mid to late April ship. Frequency synthesized TX and RX, so no crystals, and you won't miss a battle because someone else is on your frequency. Pre intro price is pretty reasonable as well. If you are buying a crystal controlled, make sure to get a frequency assignement from the club you intend to battle with.

Wreno
NTXBG
Old 03-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Wreno

Burger,

You being from Texarkana, if you are looking for a combat club, the North Texas Battle Group is probably your closest. www.ntxbg.org

We are a 1/144 scale Big Guns club. We meet on 2nd Sunday, battle 3rd Saturday in Kaufman, Texas.

We would be happy to help in any way we can.

Cheers,

Wreno
NTXBG
Old 03-13-2005, 11:19 PM
Burger

Thanks Wreno!

I'm still building and financing. I'm going to check out that Polk's deal too, sounds like a good thing... Thanks again!
Old 03-14-2005, 12:32 AM
Wreno

Burger,

An update. They (Polks) are now offering the 8 channel TX with the 6 ch RX for a price in between the 8 ch TX w 8 ch RX kit and the 6 ch TX with 6 ch RX kit. This gives you the 99 model memory and other more advanced features for only, I believe, $20 more, plus, you can grow into other channels as needed by just buying a new RX.

Teamed with a Sombra SHADOW 3 RX (7 channel RX available from www.kennedycomposites.com) could be deadly good, given the features of the Polk TX and the Sombra RX (the Sombra, by the way, is supposed to work on any 50, 72, or 75 mhz channel).

We have a battle this Saturday, if you want to join us. Directions, location, time, etc. are on the North Texas Battle Group web site. [link=http://www.ntxbg.org]www.ntxbg.org[/link]

What format are you going for (1/144, 1/96, 1/72, Big Gun, Fast Gun)?

Wreno
Old 03-19-2005, 11:24 PM
Burger

The 1/144. I had another lined up to build a Brooklyn, but he backed out and now I have his kit (got it for $50). Both are Swampys stuff...
Old 03-20-2005, 12:24 AM
Wreno

OK,

1:144 is great, especially for cruisers and larger. Smaller ships are technically much tougher. We do have one destroyer in our group, armed only with mines so far. And an E-boat under defelopment. Our first aircraft carrier made it to the pond today, but winds were too high for her to sail. Wes, my son, used to drive the Spee, very similar in size to the Houston. Houston appears to have more room in the stern than the Spee, though, which is a good thing for fitting out.

Thw next important question is Big Gun or Fast Gun (aka Small Gun)? Same hulls, big difference in fitting out and fighting styles. In a nutshell, Big Guns: Speed is related to prototype (with a minimum allowable of 24 knots), arm whatever you want that the prototype had (3" or over), multiple calibers (1/4", 7/32", 3/16" and .177) depending on prototype's guns, each caliber has a different cycling rate (8 sec, 6 sec, 4 sec, 2 sec respectively - bigger guns take longer to reload in real life), different thickensses of balsa (1/16" to 1/8") depending on prototype's armor, no battling (and very little maneuvering) in reverse, guns can rotate and depress, and, yes, each 3 gun turret has 3 barrels that fire as one. Fast Gun, aka Small Gun: Speed based on a ship list (no particular relation to prototype speed but generally much faster), .177 caliber only, number of guns restricted by class of ship (determined by list) - max, I believe is 3, fire as fast as you want/can, thinner balsa - one size (1/32"), no rotation or depression, battling in reverse both allowed and common.

In both, you (1) build, (2) fit, (3) battle, (4) sink, (5) recover, (6) repair, repeat 3-6. The NTXBG (Big Gun) battles monthly in Kaufman (near Dallas, to the southeast), Texas. The Fast Gun crowd doesn't seem to be quite that often with their battling from what I can tell.

Either way, welcome to the world of Battling. If we can be of any assistance, let us know.

Wreno