Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
Reload this Page >

Torpedoes?

Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

Torpedoes?

Old 01-13-2008, 06:17 PM
lgbfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torpedoes?

I seen on T.V that this guy had a 7ft scale submarine that had torpedo launchers. Would he have used real torpedoes or just ball bearing ones? Can you make real working torpedoes?(Something that might have a little explosion) Last but not least, can you buy "exploding" torpedoes or do you have to make them? Thanks
Old 01-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Torpedoes?

Please look further down the forum page...
Old 01-13-2008, 06:56 PM
lgbfan

Ok so I found out that every club prohibits exploding torpedoes but what if you fired them on a dummy ship and not in a battle? Would that be aloud, since people aren't scrambling to get there sunken ship in battle and could accidentally get struck with one.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:42 AM
Wreno

Not at a club event. Pyrotechnics are prohibited. Period.

But, then again, a 7' sub is larger than the scale used by most combat clubs (in the most common, 1/144, that is bigger than a battleship), I believe, so wouldn't be allowed on the pond at a club event anyway (except by permission as a demo event).

Of course, nothing (other applicable local, state, and federal laws and ordinances, and, of course, safety) prevents you from building such a system. However, I would be cautious of the legality and safety of building an explosive device.

As far as I know, none are for sale from any source.

Cheers,

Wreno
Old 01-14-2008, 02:41 PM
cyclops2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Model clubs of anything get shut down VERY quick for any noise problem.

HA HA. The local "save the world" people finding out you used a KABOM in the living water.

You murdered a Billion Slime critters!!!!!!!!!! Off with your first born childs head.

Rich
Old 01-16-2008, 07:59 PM
johnmCA72

"Yes", "No", or "Maybe" to all of the above.

People have built miniature self-propelled torpedoes, even realistic to scale. Whether that's what this guy did, I have no idea.

Can you install an explosive in the space available? Probably. Will it be enough to notice when it goes off? Maybe. Can you build a system to detonate it reliably in a package that small? My Magic 8-ball says, "Not Likely", but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

If you can arm a self-propelled torpedo, & launch it from a submerged R/C submarine, can you even aim it & equip it with an inertial (or other) guidance system, to make sure it goes where it's aimed, so that you can actually hit something at scale range? There's a good challenge for somebody!

All that stuff can be done in small scale, but putting it all together is asking a bit much. I believe some people had all they could handle, making the originals work right in 1:1 scale.

Good luck!

JM
Old 01-24-2008, 06:47 PM
rickster3057

Hi lgbfan,
The guy who had the 7ft sub was approached by a newspaper to make an advert invoveling the torpedo distroying a noisy nitro boat,he made his own torpedoes from acrylic on a lathe that were powered by propellant similer to airbrush propellant cans, he had a small pistol primer in the nose cone and black powder as the explosive, the topedo propellant ran a small compressed air motor which powered a small propeller, the first tests had the torpedo flying out of the water at great speed this was caused by to much propellant.
After much testing he got it right, the torpeado was aimed using the sub as the aimer ,as in point the sub at the target and fire, when launched it ran straight and true at a set deph.
It was printed in a model boat magazine discribing all these details,
so in answer to you question yes it can be made, yes it can explode with a small detachable warhead,under water it would make a thud or you could put pyro,s on the boat to det when hit by the torpedo,can you buy them no. can you buy all the components yes, sub shops will sell it all.
and yes you would have to make them.
At a push dependant on torpedo size ,they make really small Rc cars, buy one take it apart fit it to your torpedo and it would be rc after fireing,
there you go, get inspired go and build one have fun testing it and you could even make a business of it.because it has been done it can be copied or bettered.
Rickster3057

"The solution to all and any problems is to take cant out of the equation."
Old 02-10-2008, 04:39 PM
971wright

try here http://www.pt-boat.com/torpedo/torpedo.html best of luck they dont go bang but they do work