Community
Search
Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

RCV 58

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 06:46 PM
RControlFreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCV 58

Hi,

I have a new RCV 58 that I just broke in. Before running it I noticed that the crankshaft had about 1-2mm of end play. During the run-in there seemed to be a leak in the front bearing. There was black oil oozing out of the left front area just behind the prop plate.

Is this normal?

I also sent an email to [email protected] with a few pics of the engine running. Is this the support address?

Thanks
Ken
[email protected]
Old 10-29-2003, 09:37 AM
RCV Engines

Default RE: RCV 58

Hi Ken

You mention that the crankshaft had about 1-2mm of end play. Was this with the prop on, or prior to fitting the prop?
Secondly with regard to the oil, the 58CD uses a sealed bearing at the front and this bearing is packed with grease. During running in this may ooze from the front however it should reduce with more running.

Finally with regard to the support address, RCV Engines deal with all customer queries in the UK, then if for any reason your engine needs to be checked / repaired under warranty, we issue you with a warranty log number and a US address to send your engine to. The best email to contact is therefore [email protected]. Although Condor Models does sometimes respond to customer queries, it is not part of their service agreement.

I hope this helps and look forward to hearing from you, either directly to my email above, or via this forum

Best regards
Laurenne Mansbridge
Old 10-29-2003, 06:05 PM
RControlFreak

Laurenne,

I checked and the end-play is near zero when the prop is installed. I don't think that is an issue.

I'll use it for a while and see if it keeps leaking.

Thanks
Ken
Old 10-30-2003, 03:28 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Ken

I am pleased to hear that the engine doesn't have any end play with the prop mounted.
The oil leakage should certainly reduce significantly during running in. If it doesn't, please give me a shout.

Best regards
Laurenne
Old 10-31-2003, 12:15 AM
Wormy J
My Feedback: (6)

Laurenne,

I have a similar question regarding my RCV 58. My engine seems to leak oil from evey joint and opening. I do have a piece of fuel line on the breather which is well outside the cowl area, but the inside of the cowl is absoulty covered in oil. When the engine was uncowled it would sling oil every where. I have several other 4 cycles, a Saito which is very clean and a Laser which is also quite messy. Gets me thinking that it must be a British trait. I am British, but not very messy so I don't think that's it! I really can't say it is all coming out the front bearing but have a hard time thinking that it comes out at all of the mating surfaces as the bolts are all tight. Do not get the wrong idea here I am very happy with the engine, great size (compact), and a good runner but just a bit irritated at the mess it makes. Is this a typical trait with this engine?
Thanks for the support,
Jeremy Fursman
Old 10-31-2003, 07:33 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Jeremy

You are right, this isn't a british trait, (I like to think I keep my desk clean too.
You shouldn't be experiencing such severe leaking. Although the engines may initially ooze some oil, this certainly should not be significant after running in. It is possible that there is a problem with the front bearing. Could you please let me know the following, to aid in our diagnosis:
What serial number is the engine?
What fuel are you using?
How long has the engine been run for?

Thanks in advance
Laurenne Mansbridge
Old 10-31-2003, 11:54 AM
Wormy J
My Feedback: (6)

Laurenne,

I am not sure what SN# my engine is. I can't see it as its covered by the engine mount. It was a new warrenty replacement engine I recieved in June of 2003 for my old engine, SN# 499. Hope you can track it by this information. If not let me know and I will pull it off this weekend. Fuel is PowerMaster 10%, prop is APC 12-6, and the engine has about 5+hours running time on it.
Thanks,
Jeremy Fursman
Old 11-03-2003, 10:37 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Jeremy

This warranty replacement was provided by our US service centre, so I will check the number from them.
I have emailed you directly with information on how to proceed.

Best regards
Laurenne