Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

RCV 90 Idle problems

Old 10-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RCV 90 Idle problems

I purchased my RCV nearly 3yrs ago for my TF Corsair and did send it to Otto K for the mods he recommended. The engine was then ran on a stand for 2 gal with no problems using a zinger 18x12 prop. Idle and transition were perfect. Engine sat in box for a year lubed up well while I finished the plane.

This past July I maidened the Corsair and RCV had two problems. First was an inconsistent idle ran OK at about 1900 rpms. Second was overheating so I kept the throttle at 1/2 and landed the plane.

I enlarged the exit area in the cowl so that's done. But the idle is still poor. Top end with the Zinger 18x12 is 5000 rpms and I richened it to 4900. the low end needle was set to factory ( 4 turns out with throttle closed). Here it would run good at mid with excellent transition. bring it down to idle and she would turn 1800 to 2000 rpms be inconsistent and die. Went both ways rich and lean from the base 4 turns out with poor results. She mostly died at idle unless we were at the extremes of rich or lean when we knew we went too far then made 1/8 adjustments back.

New OS F glow plug didn't help either. My thoughts were we needed to go rich from the factory setting but could never find the sweet spot. Several times we thought we had it Started right up at idle for about 30 sec. then full back to idle (1800 to 2000rpms) and she would die after 15 to 20 sec with the glow driver off.

I have not pulled the carb yet to disassemble. Any thoughts appreciated.

Pete
Old 10-20-2005, 09:30 AM
RCV Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCV 90 Idle problems

Hi Pete

What fuel are you using? This could affect idling speed. Otherwise it could be the carb. Unfortunately Otto's mods were not to factory standards so I am hoping the mods themselves haven't affected your engine.

I am currently out of the office (I'm in the USA for the IHobbyExpo). Could you please email a copy of this to [email protected] and they should be able to help you out

Best regards
Laurenne
Old 10-21-2005, 06:04 AM
Rocketman612

Laurenne,

I also purchased the fuel from Otto. It was his "Kona Gold" mix that had th eappropriate % of ingredients. The fuel has been stored carfully with my other glow fuel. Will try again this weekend with 15% Cool power.

Pete
Old 10-28-2005, 05:04 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Pete

Please let me know how you get on. The extra 5% nitro should certainly improve the idling.

Best regards
Laurenne
Old 10-29-2005, 03:13 PM
Rocketman612

Laurenne,

Yes it was a fuel problem. Filled her up with Cool Power 15% and she started right up. Richened the low end needle by almost 1/2 turn and was able to get her to idle nicely at 1860 rpm's. Just a little rough that cleaned up when the glow driver was turned on as it's suppose to. Top end at 4800 rpms. Great transition as before. I let it sit at idle for 3 min then quickly went to full throttle with no hesitation.

Plan on taking her to the field on Sun and give it a go.

Thanks,
Pete
Old 10-30-2005, 07:53 PM
Rocketman612

Update!!!

The RCV started right up with 15% Cool Power and was solid on the ground so up she went. Pleanty of power and no problems.

Had all the fellas at the field marveling at the engine after the flight. [8D]

Looks like it's Cool Power 15% for trouble free flying.

Pete
Old 10-31-2005, 03:18 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Pete

Thanks for the update. I am pleased your engine is performing correctly now.

Best regards and Happy Flying

Laurenne
Old 03-31-2006, 05:50 PM
acontreras

I'll piggy back on this thread. I have the same issue.

Ran the engine in with Omega 10% (the pink kind) as recommended. No issues whatsoever. But, as soon as I put the engine on my Hangar 9 AT-6, same issues as previous poster:
- won't idle below 2200+ or so RPMs
- dies when going from WOT to idle, with or without glow driver, but won't die if I throttle back very gradually. Fromidle to WOT hardly any stutter.
- feels a bit too hot. I'm running the engine without a cowl, so that's not the problem. What is the recommended temp reading (and where? I get arount 250 degs F at the exhaust nut). I don't believe I am running it too lean either.

Max RPM achieved with 3 bladed prop was 5300, by the book.

Messed around with the low fuel needle, no improvement.

Since I am using a recommended fuel, and the same fuel as used to break the engine in, I have discounted that as the source of my problems.
The next thing I thought could be a problem was my fuel tank and fill line, but I satisfied myself that the tank pressurizes well. Then I tried running the engine with the fill line open (in case over-pressure was the issue), still no improvement.

I'm running out of ideas. Help!

Antonio
Old 04-02-2006, 09:54 PM
acontreras

OK, got the engine to idle around 1700 today, after letting the engine run for a few more tankfuls yesterday. Got the plane up in the air, and while my confidence in the engine was not there starting off, I am happy that it did not die on me a single time. Confidence restored to a great degree.

I did also take the carb apart, and I think I've noticed something wrong. The manual shows a little washer , number 12845, that looks like it should come right out when the carb barrel is taken out. If so, mine appears to be missing. I took the carb off carefully on a white table cloth, and that part was nowhere to be found. Now, if it's held in place by the idle needle, it's a different matter.

Old 04-03-2006, 07:51 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Antonio

I am glad to hear that your engine is now idling.

With regard to the part 12845, this is an o-ring rather than a washer. It is likely that this o-ring is attached to part S32858F

I hope this helps
Best regards
Laurenne
Old 04-03-2006, 03:01 PM
acontreras

Tain't perfect yet, but a far cry better than it started. How low an idle can I reasonably expect on this engine?

Also, my store was all out ot Omega 10%, so I got 15%. I'm sure this will not be a problem, will it?
Old 04-04-2006, 01:51 AM
RCV Engines

You should be able to get to 1500 with a bit more running in. Some engines produce a lower idle than others. The 15% nitro should help improve this idle speed.

I hope this helps
Best regards
Laurenne