Community
Search
Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

?? on RCV 120

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 10:12 AM
IronicRcAv8r
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?? on RCV 120

I just purchased a new Great Planes Hawk P6E and was looking for a 4 stroke engine that would work without having to chop the cowl up, when I ran across your 120sp engine. I have a few questions before purchasing, but this looks like it would be a great match for this plane

1. Do you have to use the rear starting mechanism, or can the conventional starter on the prop spinner be used?

2. What 3 blade prop should I use with this engine, as I am looking for a scale look and the real Hawk used a 3 bladed prop? Can I use the same 3 bladed prop for break-in or what 2 bladed prop is recommended for that.

3. Will regular 10% Omega fuel work (15% oil I believe) or do I need to get the fuel mentioned in other posts in this forum?

4. I read about someone recommending some sort of "MOD" to the engine, is this a requirement that it needs to be done? and if it is where can it be done at, and what is the turnaround time on getting the engine back?

Thats about it for now, and looking forward to getting one of yout engines -- from the video's on your site they look and sound great!

Mike D
Old 11-29-2005, 07:52 AM
RCV Engines

Default RE: ?? on RCV 120

Hi Mike

Thanks for your interest in RCV.
The RCV120SP should be a perfect power plant for your Hawk P6E.

In answer to your questions:
1. With regard to starting, RCV recommend being the prop starting for safety purposes as the SP engines can turn very large props. It is possible to start from in front of the propeller with a conventional (high torque starter) however this would be at your own risk. It wouldn't harm the engine though.
You may also find that during the running in period (whilst the engine is tighter) it will be slightly more difficult starting from the front however once the engine loosens up it should be fine.

2. You can use a 15.75x13 3-bladed prop with the 120SP. These are available from www.apcprop.com. Although you could run the engine in with this prop, the best prop for running in would be an 18x12 or 20x12.

3. 10% Omega works fine with RCV engines

4. RCV do not recommend any 'mod' to the engine. They are now all individually run at our factory, so your engine should perform well.

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best regards
Laurenne
Old 11-29-2005, 09:18 AM
IronicRcAv8r

Thanks for the answers -- I ordered one yesterday afternoon and cannot wait for it to get here!!!
Old 11-29-2005, 09:34 AM
RCV Engines

Excellent news.

If you take any photos of your 120SP in your Hawk P6E, we would love to receive them.

Best regards
Laurenne

[email protected]
Old 11-30-2005, 08:58 AM
IronicRcAv8r

I will definately get pics of it and send -- I will try and document the engine install as I go also.