Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

MGT shocks/springs work on the aftershock.

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

MGT shocks/springs work on the aftershock.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Goatcrapp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGT shocks/springs work on the aftershock.

Well - MGTsprings and shock assemblies work on the aftershock - sort of. You'll need to add new insert washers to them to get them to fit the towers (the stock towers are wider, so they'll have movement otherwise.)

Also - the MGTshocks are a tigher fit where they mount to the arms. Iused a hair dryer to ehat the rms up a bit (good practice, when prying at plastic parts, so they don't crack) and pried the opening a bit until they slid in. Then bolted up.

What i've noticed:

It handles better than stock, despite the higher CoG. This is due in part to the progressive springs and heavier shock oil. It starts off nice and soft during the first 10-15%of travel, so it absorbs bumps better, and landings. It also allows the car to sway a bit in high speed turns, instead of just flipping.

The longer suspension travel is awesome for rocky dirt, tall grass, and etc.

The pinion angle on the axles is sharper - no problems so far, but keep an eye out for the dogbone cups wearing or cracking.

For me - this was free... I had the shocks and springs left over from when i upgraded the MGT, and i had the right sized washer inserts in my endless bucket o' parts.

Iwouldn't buy new parts just to make this change.. there are other suspension upgrades that would work better for the money... but if you can get them cheap (the stock MGTstuff, used.. is practically given away... they are one of the first upgrades for the MGTcrowd)

Putting taller springs on stock stuff WILLNOTWORK. the suspension travel is limited by the shock bottoming out - not the spring.

HEre are some pics. For ;aughs i tried the MGTbody on it as well.. lol.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31878.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1579488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66838.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1579489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47962.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	108.5 KB